Through the Shadow to Krodnok's Lab

–[Stepping through the Shadow came Bo’gan of the Ur King’s tribals, Tla’ab and the tribals of Auf Lal’al, Uth’lal and the tribals of Ka’Rhug, Uriel and Agent Candy of the Colonies, and Torkol’ab and his team from Unit 817. Waiting for them was Krodnok (and if Krodnok chooses, Yyan Kol of the Armies of Yyan Kol)]–

The room was curving away from the shadows that acted as an entrance hidden on a stairway that went only into the shadow. The teams escaping the Unit 111 and the Pit Mongrels fighting in the Tomb Factory had little choice except to escape this way.

Across from them stood Krodnok (with whatever defenses he has set up) and behind him was the chambers once inhabited in the Earther style complete with a book shelf with many many books. It also bore the signs that Krodnok had claimed this place as his own. It was in fact one of many of the suberrainian testing labs that Bishop Kasanth had built around his now destroyed tower. Only Krodnok currently knew its traps and secrets.

The only question is could they all come to an amicable solution before their mutual enemies found them.

Seeing Krodnok prepared to fight, Bo’gan learned from his last encounter with a Warmonger’s Dead.

He tried to choose diplomacy in his own way, “You are Krodnok yes? Dead Surgeon Naveed of 111 said you have taken the body of my master Eloga. Tell me what price you demand for his body?”

Krodnok exited the shadow at a full run. He wanted to get around the bend, and into the temple area of his newly-acquired sanctum. There was room there. He’d go invisible, and he could take his time killing Bo’gan.

The footsteps behind him, however, told him he was out of time. He stopped abruptly, his hands radiating dark energy. He spun, raising his Hell-Guns at the same time. He didn’t fire, however, when he saw Bo’gan, hands empty, held open, and up in front of him. A peaceful gesture.

Krodnok tilted his head in curiosity, and waited.

“You are Krodnok, yes?” Bo’gan asked.

Krodnok let his arms fall to his sides, and he stood up straight, his brow furrowed. Before him stood the being who had declared him an enemy for life. And now, that very same being… wanted to talk?

Krodnok nodded slowly, regardless.

“Dead Surgeon Naveed of 111 said you have taken the body of my master, Eloga,” Bo’gan continued. “Tell me what price you demand for his body.”

“You hunt me, for nothing more that a corpse?” Krodnok asked. He then shook his head. “Whatever. You aren’t as entertaining as I thought you would be. And that, well, disappoints me greatly.”

He dismissed his Hell-Guns, and folded his arms across his chest. “Before I barter with you for this corpse you want so bad, you’re first going to tell me why he’s so damned important to you. And if the answer is as simple as ‘But he’s my master’, have no doubt that I will end you where you stand.”

Tla’ab and his tribesmen were ready for an attack, but made sure not to raise their weapons in a threatening manor. Most likely this dead would dismiss them eitherway, but he didn’t want to raise the tension here more than already is.

Lolon will keep watch behind the group for pursuit.

Bo’gan said , “It is complex, i am sure you understand the concept of a figurehead? There is a position stronger than a figure head. Eloga was no mere figurehead he had built a full cult of personality. He had found out what each lesser tribe needed and provided in a way that bound their fate to the armies of Eloga and to Eloga personally.
Filan Greybeard and I are just his muscle. Were just his muscle.
We kept the Brezans in line for him. With Tladol dead Eloga should rule, not the weakling Yyanyi!!
If an Olgog nation is ever to be built to the actual benefit of the Olgogs of the Goblin Lands it will require a compassionate Olgog to rule the Armies of Eloga. My only compassion was radiated from Eloga, without his guidance i just want to smash and burn and destroy…
And he was my friend and comrade for countless battles. I would not honor him well if i left his legacy to end in Tladols tent.”

Krodnok scratched his head. “So, by giving you this corpse, you plan to ressurect it, and try to get back the seat of power it once held? Am I coming to the correct conclusion?”

Uth’lal stifled a yawn. He found the current problem very boring, being that he personally had little care whichever way it turned out. He knew that either way, there would soon be foes here which would force them to work together and fight, or die like trapped animals. He looked around, keenly surveying his new surroundings for anything of remote interest. He had half a mind to wander the place to uncover its secrets, but he remembered his own men that he had sworn to lead on this mission, who currently were standing in a small knot behind him. He tried to look around Krodnok at the other room but only managed to stumble over to the right. Coughing to cover his embarrassment, he stood stiffly and tried to look as solid and intimidating as he could, and waited for further developments to the situation.

The room curved around and Krodnok was truly positioned to prevent movement further in his new abode.

Bo’gan placed his hands behind his back in an at ease military pose, he looked pensive saying, “That is the conclusion yes.
A simple enough one for all involved.
Except i currently hold the seat of power i wish to return to Eloga.
If i die here the seat would fall to Filan Greybeard.
But if i can bring back Eloga i can reinstate him with a simple order.”

Observing the stairway they had entered from, Uth’lal could tell that a bright focused light would disrupt the entrance. As long as the shadow was gone the entrance was gone.

The books were all written in the Earther Language.

The bed was covered in a synthetic blanket material not seen since the colonization.

Trying his best to stand still, Uth’lal gestured to Aufgog Pluto in order to point out the books. They had been given implicit orders to gather as much information as they could during their foray into the southern lands, and as of yet had discovered only a few items of interest. Intact earther technology or knowledge receptacles definitely qualified as such a find. Pluto had remained near the back of the group, preferring to be out of the way of the majority of the group, and after all, not many looked at the old, weathered olgog for more than a curious glance. His shadow-skin clothing made him even more unobtrusive, and set him somewhat apart from his fellow tribals, who wore furs or hides. He caught the gesture and lifted his old, cataract filled eyes to see the books. He nodded slowly, giving him the appearance of a doddering old fool, but began look around to see if a nearby shadow was cast from the bright light near the stairs. If he found such a shadow, even a small one, he would shadow step into another one in the room beyond, hopefully out of sight of either force. He would select the most interesting looking books and deposit them into the shadow cocoon which also held the pilfered weapon from the airfields as well as a small, slightly nibbled, sample of fruit from the orchards discovered at the Axefalls.

As Pluto’s hands passed between the shelves he quickly realized the books were little more than a leyas powered facade. On his second grab however he found a small wooden dowel which pulsed with light leyas to his leyas sight. Pluto was quite sure this was not an addition to the room by the Dead who now lived here. Instead it was some older artificing. Something for vanity, he wondered. Then he realized that whatever facade it showed might actually list the books that had once been here.

–[it is up to Kolgol if Pluto stealthily steals the dowel from the shelf. If he does Krodnok would notice the weird hologram of the books (that burned his skin) has sputtered and disappeared. He would not immediatly notice that Pluto took anything.
The “hologram” had activated originally the morning after the books had been removed.]–

Pluto smiled at this revalation. He realized that Krodnok may be suspicious about the bookshelves later, but presently there were matters that were drawing his attention. He put his hand on the rod, and then in one fluid motion pulled it out and into the cocoon concealed in his cloak. He moved back to the shadows in order to return to the group. He hoped no one would notice his passing, but it seemed unlikely that any body had cared much about an old gog’s wanderings in the first place.

Krodnok regarded Bo’gan for a few moments, scratching his chin in thought. “Hmmm. Alright. You can have your body. It’s not doing anything but taking up space for me anyways. You’re lucky I hadn’t decided what to do with it yet.”

He glanced to the group behind Bo’gan. “We’ll discuss ‘payment’ later, however. When the room isn’t so crowded. You’re going to need to give me time to retrieve the corpse, as well.”

“Now then, I believe at some point, I recall hearing about some ferals you were escaping,” he said. "As well as Unit 111 back there, I believe a defense may be in order.

Bo’gan looked overjoyed,"Agreed, a proper defense and then we will discuss payment.
We have two divergent threats to handle. First is unit 111 whose armor protects them from acid attacks. The other threat we face are those rampaging Pit Mongrels. They do not have equivalent defenses but can summon fire spirits to attack us.

Captain Torkol’ab what defenses do we have against Unit 111s magi cannons? , Uth’lal of Ka Rhug what counter attacks can you deploy against the Pit Mongrels?

And of course our gracious host, is there anyway we can trap this entrance so the first through are injured but we arent caught in the blast?"
Glanced meaningfully at an acid grenade in his hand.

Tla’ab looks to Bo’gan, we can use light leyas against the dead, but we have no defense against the cannons once they take note of us. Also we have little defense vs the acid either. The only thing we could do is create a wind shield to deflect some of the acid flying toward us. But we wouldn’t get all of it, I think.

Uth’lal scratched his head, pondering the question. He knew a bit of general information about the pit mongrels, but nothing so specific as their combat styles. The few he had seen had seemed lightly armored in comparison with the forces of Warmonger’s dead, and were armed similarly to most other olgogs, carrying pole-arms and other such weapons. He quickly counted his men, who numbered 9 in total, including himself. They were each experienced with their weapons, and were sturdy fighters, but against a larger host of well trained and armed forces such as the dead, they wouldn’t last. Worse still, only he and Pluto possessed leyas abilities, which would work miracles on the forces of the dead. However, he then made a sudden realization that in the few moments after the enemy had crossed the threshold of the portal, there would be a bit of confusion, and it was in that moment that they would attack. He smiled then and spoke up,

“My forces will do the following as soon as the enemy has crossed through the portal: We will firstly smash the crystals located at the back of each warmonger’s dead, hopefully disabling them. This provides an easier alternative then simply beating them into a pile of meat. We then will each throw our first spear ( Each hunter has two ) as a volley into the first wave of mongrels through the portal. The other pit mongrels will be cut down as they travel through the portal by use of good old kalok, and my friend Pluto here will use his power to send them screaming back through the portal.” (Air leyas).

He crossed his arms and waited for a second opinion on his plan.

Krodnok shook his head, then looked at Uth’lal. “Before you go launch yourselves into the pit to die, per say, let me at least work your armor real quick. It’ll help protect againt energy weapons, like our Cannons.”

Krodnok will begin Minor Shadow Working the armor of all who will allow it, starting with himself, to add +20 against energy dmg to armors. He will continue this until all have been worked, or the enemy arrives, be it the Pit Mongrels, or Unit 111.

As he worked, he continued, this time talking to Bo’gan and Tla’ab. “As for the acid, if need be, you can all retreat to the altar room, and I’ll detonate the grenade. Then you can all return here, and we’ll finish up what’s left.” He paused, then said, “While you’re in there, don’t touch anything. I haven’t yet figured out if, and/or what a lot of that stuff does.”

He finished working his armor, and held his arms open, waiting for the next person to step forward so he could work their armor. “Any objections?”

Tla’ab says “My tribesmen and I (4) will gladly take the shadow working on our armors.”
Tla’ab nods to the others and they line up.

Tla’ab says “Question, is there a room where we could go in where if we created an illusion of a wall over the door we could hide and either get the jump on our enemy or use the time to find a better way out.”

Uth’lal nodded at Krodnok, and motioned for his men to move forward.

“Aye, we would be honored if you would help defend us from the weapons of our enemies.”

8 olgogs step forward (including Uth’lal). Pluto remains in the back.

As he began to work on Tla’ab’s armor, Krodnok spoke. “I’d like to not have to use the other rooms, unless it’s as a last resort,” he said. “If the acid grenade Bo’gan holds needs to be used, for one. Then you can all move to the other rooms for a few seconds while I use that.”

He paused when he moved on to the next set of armor. “However,” he began again. “The room we’re currently in curves around far enough that we could set up your illusionary wall at the halfway point on the curve, and we’d be entirely unseen from the shadow.”

“I can set up as shadow wall right behind that, so if the mongrel’s get through the illusion, they’ll have that to deal with.” He paused again, thinking. “That won’t affect the Dead, though. Can anyone put a light wall right behind my shadow wall? Far apart enough to not risk cancelling each out, but close enough that, if they’re charging through, they haven’t the time to stop…”