The Trial of Og'GulTor, Declaire, and Bennett-Clayton (TSGL3 Week 4+)

The Kul Gul Rapi had sent reps, and so had Unit 817, and the crew of the Batavian Bat, all going to handle a to set of trials.

Even UtR members had arrived to act as international observers, even though they knew the final decision on the fates of the criminals would lie with the three ruling parties of Drewsport.

There were currently seventy Og’GulTor youths from Karov that were currently on trial for attacking Merchant Caravans and killing Merchants. They are charged with killing the merchants and carving Death to Lalder in their flesh. They are from this timeline (unlike the GulTor’Gor).
Their punishment will be decided by the Trial.

There is currently 1 Church of One Criminal, Ser Bennett-Clayton, and four Merc accomplices, caught in the act of ignoring local edicts and firing on a vessel during peace negotiations. Also to be decided the fate of the demonic rifle found in Ser Bennett-Clayton’s effects. Its aura can be seen if spirit scopes are used on it (will describe if someone chooses to do so).

There is currently 1 Church of One Red Bishop Declaire, charged with betrayal during battle and the murder of Godart. His aura and nature can be seen if spirit scopes are used on it (will describe if someone chooses to do so). Unit 817 Redeemers can feel something corrupt inside him.

Their fates must be decided. And these Three tribes : Kul Gul Rapi Family, Unit 817, and Captain Dol’s Pirates would need to decide on each based on the testimony of witnesses.

[Welcome as Witnesses in this thread are Krodnok, Mar’ak (Kolgol), Lord Grimaldus (either demonic members under Siedermann, or nondemonic racist knights from Dunephere under the Inquisitors, or non demonic nonracist knights under Lord Grimaldus himself), Naeil (Godart), Yagogi’al, and the three tribes that rule Drewsport.]

Torlak’ab had a squad of troopers clear an area on the edge of town and erect a stage and pavilion to hold the proceedings. On the stage was placed a table with room for three judges to sit and a separate seat for witnesses to occupy. Due to the large number of defendants, a roped of area with 2 raised platforms for guards will be placed to one side. The different groups of defendants will be kept separated from one another. Forces for the guards will be drawn from the various forces of Drewsport, if they are willing.

Looking at the other representatives, he says “I think it would be best if each of our groups chose one person to sit in the tribunal. What say you?”

“That sounds like a good idea, the upgrades looks good and solid.” Dol looks at the set up for the trial. She never thought that she would be on this side of a trial. it is an unheard of honor for a pirate. However she must send a representative instead due to preparing for battle that is to come. I shall send one of my most trusted and venerable gogs to sit on this panel. His name is Trok, he will be available shortly after he finishes his work.

Babi drank in the fear of the accused before henodded to Trok and Torlak’ab. “I’ll be representing da family in da proceedings. Which case we hear first?” He askedas he took his seat.

Trok entered the site, his bones creaking slightly with wear. Dressed head to toe in full pirate gear and nightmare hide he looked like an old gog but still ready for a fight.

“Finished ma work, so now I am here. Sorry for the delay. Nice to meet ya’ll” He greeted those that offered then took his seat to prepare for the taxing duty that lay ahead of all of them. Never did this gog ever think that he might see this side of a trial, this could be interesting.

With the three reps ready, the trial could begin.
The First to be brought in was Red Bishop Declaire, who had at his side an Inquisitor named Holmbrook to act as his lawyer.
The trio must decide if Declaire may use an advocate like a lawyer or must represent himself, since this is the first trial in Drewsport lands.

[Lord Grimaldus may now post as Declaire and Inquisitor Holmbrook. ]

Trok clears his throat at the approach of the first um… defendant? Terminology has never been his strong point. “hm… A Lawyer?” He asks to approach the lawyer and if allowed he will sniff him (his eye sight is not so good anymore either) then sit back down. If not allowed he will not approach.

Torlok’ab looked at the Inquisitor “Sir, is there any one from Drewsport to vouch for the fact that you should represent the defendant?”

Looking at the defendant, he then scanned the crowd to see if there was any other Oners in the crowd.

Inquisitor Holmbrook would allow Trok to sniff him, then turn to Torlok’ab with a puzzled expression, “Why should I need someone from Drewsport to vouch for me? I do not live in Drewsport, nor does the defendant. Look I am going to cut straight to the point. Is this an actual trial? As in, is there going to be a burden of proof? Do you have to prove that my client committed crimes, do I have to prove that he didn’t commit crimes? Is this going to be a sham trial so you can parade my client around and brow beat him before declaring him guilty? Cause if there is no other verdict then guilty no matter what happens then this is just going to be a waste of everyone’s time.”

Just once Babi wished for a trial that didn’t become a circus. “Hmm you start by questioning da legitimacy of da court. If Dat all you and da accused wish to say then you can sit down and be quiet for da rest of the trial. Who witnessed da crime?” He asked.

Trok looked at the Inquisitor as if his words wounded him. It is hard to be an honest gog looking for truth against those that never have before. "Honestly this is my first trial being on this side. Would like it to be fair, but if ya wanna we could simply declare you… ummm " He shook his head as if trying to get the words to fall out. “In contempt and make your… client proceed without… council.”

Inquisitor Holmbrook hated working with people who didn’t know what they were doing. He shook his head, turing to Babi “Look I am questioning the rules for the court which haven’t been explained to my client. What rights does he have, have you explained that to him? Have you told him the charges? Have you given him any advice on how to proceed? This man was taken by a crazed Uth, then handed to you then put on trial. From what I have been told this is your first major trial. You need to explain how you plan on doing this. Of course I am questioning the trial because you haven’t’ explained anything. Instead of trying to explain me me and my client anything, you demand that I have a reference from this town where the alledged crime never even took place.”

Turning to Trok “You would like a fair trial as well that is good, then you threaten me by saying be quiet or I don’t get to have a defense? This can all go nice and politely, if everyone can actually act like this is a serious matter and not act like you are lords over ants. Please explain to my client why he is in court, what the charges are and what his rights as a defendant are. Also sharing the evidence with me would be lovely as well as you haven’t shared anything with my client.”

Babi smirked, “You weren’t asking how da trial go, in yo second breath you make a guilty verdict sound like display a sham.” Babi shook his head and addressed De’Claire, “You sure you want did man helping you? First thing he do is try to anger da court. With friends like dat…”

Torlok’ab looked at Holmbrook. “My question to you was to see if anyone would verify that you are who you say you are and that you have the ability and right to represent the defendant. I was hoping that someone from the local chapel of your faith would vouch for you. Your client has the right to competent counsel. We will not judge him till we have given him and those accusing him a chance to speak. But if you main defense is that his alleged crime did not take place in this town, are you prepared to state that The Church of One has never proceeded against those that harmed their interests on the edges of the borders yet not in Dunesphere? By the history of your own people, those that take actions against your people can be brought up on charges even if the offense occurred outside your borders. Or are you going to order the release of any persons judged by your courts whose ‘crimes’ occurred outside your city?”

“if you maintain that you have a right to try those who endanger your citizens and interests, then you, by those choices, give us the right to do the same. So please answer me, do we have the right to try an accused criminal for actions that happened on our borders? I promise you that we are prepared to listen to any evidence you have on your clients innocence. I also will ask if you are going to represent the other defendant that claim membership in your faith?”

Placing a monocle on his right eye, Torlok’ab looked at both the defendant and his counsel. As he had been feeling something corrupt within the defendant, he wanted a closer look at him and those aiding him. (ooc- monocle artificed with spirit scope’) He then would glace out at the crowd that had gathered to watch the proceedings. “Anyone that wishes to speak, please make yourself known in an orderly manner”

The spirit scope showed a coiled serpent like demonic force inside Declaire. It looks like it had been growing for some time.
The entity seemed like a Malevolent that was still being incorporated into its host. Torkol’ab suspected a Warmonger demon from its shape.

Inquisitor Holmbrook was not demonic. It seemed despite being a lawyer he was only human.

Inquisitor Holmbrook smiled at Babi, “Well, considering the very first statement directed toward me was demanding a justification to my presence, it seems only fair to question the court. Also, if you like me or not isn’t important, this is a trial. Evidence is what rules this place not personal feelings. Your feelings towards my client or me doesn’t matter unless you feel that you cannot give a fair ruling unless you are showered with complements. If so then you are looking lovely my dear, is that a new perfume? Quite intoxicating.”

Back to Torlok’ab “If you wanted my identification you could have asked me” Inquisitor Holmbrook opens up a brief case and takes out some papers and offers them to Torlok’ab "Here is my license to practice law, my picture identification and courtroom certification, but you really don’t care about this. I don’t see how a local priest could vouch for my ability to practice law.
My main defense is not that the crime didn’t take place in this town, but thanks for ignoring ALL of my questions. I brought it up because the alleged crime happened in the north between Drewsport and Petersburg. (I believe the team my guy was in was in Location 2: The Caravan Roads leading towards Rhug Town and Bartsport, and Petersburg is between Bartsport and Drewsport, please correct me if I am wrong) also the territory where the raiders were attacked was technically in Unenese territory (as per the mission) not within the boarders of Drewsport as the raiders hadn’t gotten this far yet.

Also, Dunesphere really has nothing to do with this so I am not sure why you are bringing it up, who cares what Dunesphere does in it’s courts? The only reason I can think of for you to even bring it up is an attempt to demonize myself and my client due to our cultural and ethnic background.

So once again I will repeat my questions and hopefully someone will stop posturing and answer them so we can stop this dick measuring contest and actually make some progress. What rights does my client have, have you explained that to him? Have you told him the charges? Have you given him any advice on how to proceed? Have you shown him any physical evidence and if there is any I need to see it as well. You cannot start calling witnesses unless you have established the charges and explained what crime if any was committed."

Babi stroked his chin, “if you want to do this da Unen way we do it the Unen way. Since you da champion of da accused you would have a chance to make them believe da accused innocent and if they don’t then to negotiate reparations with da lucky fate squad.” Babi smiled, “That don’t work as da accused champion you fight da lucky fate squad champion in what Eva trial of combat they have.”

“A common one to the penninsula” Babi mused, “is da victims tribe decides the conditions for victory, first blood, first to give up, death. Da accused decides da melee weapon based on what da mediating tribes can provide. Then both of you strip naked and get heavy weights tied to you. You both get in a boat with a slow leak and get lowered into da sea.”

Babi shrugged, “If dats what you want then we can do it Unen style. If not stop asking for tings you don’t want.”

An older fishergog named Kugmak Olan stepped forward to the edge of the raised area. He waved at Trok and Babi, having seen them daily on his trips to and from the fishmarket each day. He gave a respectful bow to Torlok’ab, whispering, “Blessed are the angels of the redeemer.”

Kugmak Olan stood up and said, "I can see kind gogs and earthmen that our ways are confusing one another immensely.

You must have got here late Mr. Holmbrook because everyone knows that Red Bishop Declaire is accused of betraying the operation that went north to put down the bandits, and killing Mr. Godart, boss of the Lucky Fate Gang, in the process. And that is a murder that definitely deserves a punishing. So I reckon the only questions that needs finding out is why did Declaire go and kill Godart, was he the primary murderer or just the accomplice.

As for evidence, the gogs of this town ain’t fancy lawyers, so we just let witnesses talk about they seen and what happened as they know it.

For rules of the court, respect is the rule usually observed. No body interrupted no witness when talking, and nobody interrupted the people in charge of deciding when they ask questions.

But I guess if that ain’t formal enough for your client, I’m not quite sure how we could make it so on such short notice."

“Well, as the elder says, let whoever accuses the defendant come forth and state their case then,” announced Torlok’ab.

A tall Karovian GulTor’Gor soldier stepped forward.
“I find my presence here ironic, but given the way our Tor’ol has ruled I must present myself here. While I was your enemy during the battle, now I must speak of what I saw from the walls of the Ziggurat.
The tank of Church of One design turned its gun on their allied vehicle. A strider I believe? And the Oner tank killed the strider pilot with its weapons.
I hope that is enough. My name is GorTor of GulTor’Gor, and this is the truth as I know it.”