The Rescued Squire in Tla'loc'al

The chamber felt large to the boy, though it easily could have been a small cavern or inside a tent. It smelled strongly of tanned Mal’ie hide. The floor was cool to the touch and covered by a dried horse hide. The boy was an Earther, a Human as they called themselves.
Most Earthers were an unenlightened bunch of bipeds, and this male was no different. He was born into the zealot faith of the Church of One. From his earliest days he had been told there was One God with the Human as his chosen creation whom he made in his image. He had been told all aliens were not human, therefore were obviously creations in the image of the Devil. He had been told many, many things that had no proof of evidence. He had been told to believe, more than anything, and had been told that these beliefs would guarantee him a place in eternal paradise.
His name was Dominic Levi Strauss III, and his father was what they called “well-placed” back home. Dominic hadn’t had to struggle for food, or worry about the dangers of the wild. He had never had to experience the fear of being hunted by racist killers across miles of terrain.
But he did know fear.
He had known the fear of his father’s rage, and his fear of the Nun’s ruler, and a fear of the Priest’s flogger. He had known the fear of hiding under his covers with a crucifix in one hand and a sharp dagger in the other, and having to kill a Nightmare before it ate him.
And his Nightmares always looked like the worst sort of monster, The Goblin.
Dominic knew the Goblin was big and hairy, and scared him to his core. After five weeks straight of killing the same Goblin Nightmare in his room, and being reprimanded for being covered head to toe in bite marks and scratches from their claws at morning, Dominic finally left home. He swore he was going to kill The Goblin (because in his childish mind there was always only one, and it was the route of all evil). He applied to become a squire to the Goblin Slayer Paladins and was denied for seeming too eager, but was accepted by a traveling Knight-messenger named Solona. At least once per month, Dominic was tormented at night by The Goblin. If Sir Solona had noticed black ichors staining Dominic’s hands, he never mentioned it. But Sir Solona had never woken up to actually kill The Goblin. It has always been Dominic’s job to sink the blade in the dry and cracked flesh of The Goblin to kill it.
The creature that sat cross legged on the far side of this dark place was not The Goblin from his dreams. Dominic looked at the native of Refuge, noticing it looking at him with intelligent emotive eyes. The Goblin only had dead eyes, like a fish left out to rot in the sun. This creature breathed like he did and had saved him from its own kind.
At first on the battlefield near the terrorist Tladol’s hideout, Dominic was surprised to Sir Solona killed by the primitive spears of the green-furred natives. Dominic watched as the other squires were slaughtered but he was chosen for some reason.
It had been this native who made the choice, who had convinced his kind to spare the boy.
Dominic knew the creature could speak his language, and he had personally seen the natives dance their strange dances and bring a storm down on Bartsport. They seemed sad and confused at the people killed, which surprised Dominic, as he had only heard of their kind as reveling in death and destruction.
Then he had seen one of their conclaves. There had been Green Furs dressed in pelts, and green furs dressed in bone armor, and Green Furs dressed in robes and Grey Furs dressed in alien battlemail.
And this one had been there, among the leaders.
Dominic didn’t know anything about his captor, or even if he was a prisoner…or food.
Yet the strong, proud gaze of the native did not look upon him as food, only with deep concern.
And Dominic thought back to a magnetic-lift malfunction that happened in Bartsport, when he had been among the natives sneaking into the frozen town. They were not ignorant savages like the priests said, Dominic had noticed. They ignored most of the homes and went straight for the Inquisitors manor. He rode on the back of a Brezan Stalker, burrowing under the ground for a moment before punching through a basement wall into a terrible, terrible place.
It was a lab, but was not god’s science. It looked like the Inquisitor was trying to grow MORE natives. And if an Inquisitor was growing more natives and they acted nothing like The Goblin in his nightmares, then maybe…just maybe…no.
Dominic remembered the mag-lift hurling their lift chamber into the air. It felt like what a Red Bishop’s railgun round felt when being hurled from the barrel. Into the air Dominic and his native savoir were hurled and would have been killed, splattered into the ground, if not for the evil sorcery the native did to stop their fall.
Dominic now knew the easy temptation the Priests always spoke about. How easy would it be to want to learn the evil sorcery? thought Dominic as he forced the thought aside. That would be grounds for crucifiction by the Church of One, he worried. Then again would the Inquisitors even allow him to come back alive now that he had been defiled by living with the natives and eating their food.

He looked up at the native and said, “My name…my real name is Dominic. I want to know what you plan on doing with me?”

–[ This thread is open to KolGol, and The Bladed Sun, but not others unless invited by KolGol]–

“Fear not little human” the scruffy looking Aufgog replied coolly. “You will serve a higher and more noble purpose than your former brethren, and will help my tribe and I to learn the ways of the so called humans.” Kolgol (for that was his name) rose then, and paced saying “For too long have we Olgogs lived in the dust, struggling to fight our belligerent and advanced foes, but you will put a stop to this. I give you this choice, come with me, and ride as knight, protector, squire to myself and my people, or die here in the barren wastelands that we have been forced to live in.” He smiles then, looking at the pitifully empty looking water canteen the squire had on his hip. “But of course, the choice is yours”.

PS: (for future reference, the name of my tribe is Ka’Rhug)

“I accept Sir Kolgol.
What will my tasks be as your squire?” Asked Dominic, “You do not appear to have plate mail to shine or horses to feed.”

The Olgog chuckles, “It is true I am not the typical paladin you would be used to squiring for, and the mounts we ride would more likely eat you than let you saddle them. However, there is a different way you will serve me, and it is the reason that I gave you your master’s sword and armor. You will use these tools, along with my blessing, to help our tribe negotiate with the humans, and to defend me in combat. If your service is loyal and honest, why, I may even knight you” he says, smiling at his own joke.

Holding back tears the squire said, “Sir Kolgol, I will protect you in battle against all manner of beast and be a loyal squire in that way. I will act as your interpreter and negotiator with humans.
I will even cut down other G…tribal peoples to defend you as you defended me.
But I cannot promise that I would be able to raise a sword and kill humans even if it was to defend you Sir Kolgol.
I was taught that when you give an oath its got to be the truth, and no lie can get involved for the Devil himself will collect your soul.
I, Dominic Levi Strauss the Third so do give my oath to serve as your squire, with this limitation, for as long as I so shall live.”

–[This thread can now be used to ask Squire Dominic about Church of One common practices, basic laws of Dunesphere, and their settlements on the Goblin Lands and information about famous Church of One historical figures (often considered war criminals in the rest of the Earther Colonies)]–

Kolgol smiled a toothy, slightly malevolent smile, and extended his hand in the gesture that he knew the earthers were so fond of. He then said “Of course, I understand the desire not to slay your own kind, and I certainly have my share of enemies amongst the other Olgog tribes. I will not ask you to raise your blade against those who were once your masters. But for now that will not matter…”
Kolgol sat down besides a small natural rock cleft, which formed a half decent seat. “I hope you don’t mind if I ask you a few questions about your people. I must confess, I am quite curious about humans in general, especially in their…arcane applications.” I may even share some knowledge of my people." He called to a small adjoining cave, and gestured for drinks.

Squire Dominic sat down a step below his new master. (if Kolgol went anywhere Squire Dominic followed dutifully, three steps behind his new master to show him respect), but at the moment he simply breathed a sigh of relief knowing he wasn’t going to be food, and his new master did not appear to be a devil worshipper despite being a native, “I am not sure what you mean by Arcane. We squires and the Church of One as a whole is not like the rest of the Earthers of the Colonies. We don’t take part in demonic sorceries.
But it often does confound my mind how regularly some Church of One Priests can make miracles happen like pressing a button. But please Sir Kolgol, if you could be a bit more specific as to what you would like to know.”

Kolgol sighed, remembering the Church of One’s policies on such matters. “Of course, of course, I had forgotten how the Church performs its wonders… Mayhaps you can help us with some of your kind of knowledge, I am sure that…” His voice trails off as he remembers the strange device he had ridden in that bunker in Bartsport. Pushing that wonderfully bright red button, then being flung into the air and nearly killed. “Erm, yes, we could certainly use your…technologies.” He leaned back, taking a flagon of an oddly colored liquid from the tray. “Maybe you recall other aspects of the Church. Have you met any of the great and powerful ones who lead it? I am quite intrigued by your leaders, maybe I will meet one someday.” He disguises his glee at the prospect of meeting a powerful Church of One leader on the battlefield by coughing loudly.

(Time change until the point of the resurrection of the ancient olgogs)

An olgog runner enters squire Dominics quarters. “Little hoo-man, master Kolgog would speak words with you. You come with me please” The olgog gestures to the door, in order to lead him to the room.

The Squire Dominic follows the messenger. Arriving and seeking Olgogs of all types assembled. Some big and some broad, some short and some nearly-feral looking.

Dominic swallows loudly and waits for them to ask him questions.
(Continued in Resurrecting The Fallen, until Squire Dominic is returned to his room)