The reclamation of the feral south

Lord Grimaldus, Holy Paladin of the righteous Church of the One true God looked upon the several dozen farmers and Squires with pride which showed in his voice as he addressed them.

"My beloved people, on this day we start a new chapter in our glorious history. You shall be the vanguard in our efforts to drive away the blasphemous demon infestation from these so called Goblin Lands. After the holy crusades so long ago drove away these abominations from the northern territories they fled here to the south. For a long time they were ignored as they spent as much time killing each other as others. Remember evil does not cooperate like we do, we work together to form a new future for our children and prosper using our faith.

However we have allowed these mongrels to prosper for too long, we must plant the seeds of their destruction. You shall go south and begin construction of farms so that when the next divine crusade begins our holy defenders shall be well provisioned. Also you must construct a barrack near each farm so that your defenders can rest and train to better protect your efforts. In addition a chapel shall be built so that you do not forget that God shall always be with you.

We shall set up three farms, each with a dozen workers and six Squires to defend them. Trust one another and in God’s divine plan and you shall not falter even in these untamed wilds. Your mission is blessed by God, I can feel his love and confidence even as I speak these words to you. It is the dawn of a new day here, we shall spread Gods influence and exterminate the demonic alien filth. For while we were made in our Lord’s holy image these alien vermin were modeled after the many forms of the devil. Do not be deceived by our enemies, they shall try their best to destroy you. They shall attempt to rend your flesh and devour your children, if force fails they might even try honeyed words and promises of magic and power. These are even more dangerous then physical harm, these promised can damn your eternal soul, for once you accept his infernal gifts and magics the Devil himself will gain a grasp of your very soul and pull you from righteousness down to the very pits of hell.

We will do our best to protect your body and spirit. With every group shall an initiate of the holy church be sent, he shall read you the scriptures and inspire your faith. As this mission will prove your loyalty and devotion to God so will this mission prove that the Initiates are ready to become holy priests of God.

Devotion, loyalty, fealty, these are the words you will live by. These are the words that shall open the future to us all, Go now! Begin your heavenly task and pave the road that shall take us to his holy side, blessed by He. Our Holy Crusade takes it’s first steps today."

Lord Grimaldus stood at the head of a small crowd, merely a few hundred proud God fearing colonial citizens, wearing his shining plate armor, his crimson cloak with a large gold thread cross sown into the center he smiled down upon his people as he began.

"My people, my precious people, the Lord works in mysterious ways. He shows his love to all who give their faith unto him and rewards them with eternal salvation to whose who place their trust, their very lives unto him. I have always believed, and now I know I am doing my Lord’s work. There are those who question us, those who lack faith in our holy mission to protect humanity. They want to coexist with the monster and demons who infest this world, saying that they aren’t so bad. They say that they are peaceful “folk” who want to live in peace. Do you know what I see when I look upon these Goblin lands? I see the dust rising, I see the dust rising from the Goblin’s mobilizing their armies. Our scouts have told us that the Goblins are preparing for a campaign against us. Our holdings in the south, our first line of defense, the ones who protect each and every citizen who lives in peace in the holy colony of Dunesphere. These defenses have stood for years and have kept our citizens safe from the untamed wilds, these are now in danger.

As our scouts observed and informed us about the increased Goblin activities other groups of mongrels have already struck. A group of Goblins have used their demonic magics to infiltrate one of our holy construction sites. Their demonic magics corrupted all that they touched and many faithful lost their lives in a valiant attempt to hold back the demonic enhanced wretches. Or brothers and sisters lay dead at the demon’s hooves, they hold our facility and have stolen our holy technology, corrupting their divine purposes and converting them to work with their own demonic powers. Twisting what was once was blessed by Creation’s Children and now have defaced them to work with their own foul demonic gods. We must gather our strength, even now our capable forces under my own command are planning to drive the foul Goblin horde from our lands and our facilities. The holy Inquisition have promised me to lend me their aid in retaking what is ours and begin the long process of reconsecrating the land. I promise you here today, foul demonic magics are not stronger then the power of God. Their taint can be undone, our lands can be safe and they can be beautiful in God’s eyes once more.

I swear to you here today, that I shall do the Lord’s work here in the south. I shall lead the way to salvation, I shall pave the road with the bones of those heretics and alien filth. They seek to defile everything that we consider holy. They are preparing to march against us now, they seek to drive all of the faithful to the sea. I say that this shall not happen, alien aggression has been tolerated for far too long. They have been given a chance and they have spat in our merciful faces, they seek our deaths and the deaths of our wives and children. An end to the civilization started by humanity, an end to God’s favored creations. If they succeed then nothing will stand in the way of their demonic masters from conquering not only this world, but every world in the heavens.
I shall stand up to these monsters and their heretic friends, those humans who have abandoned their righteous destiny to consort with demons for power. We will not fade into the eternal twilight! We shall stand tall against the tides of destruction and shine like a lighthouse in the darkness!

The Church shall lead us into the heavenly road! ONE PATH! ONE DESTINY! ONE GOD!

Lord Grimaldus looked at the status reports, especially about the loss of Bartsport, things were spiraling out of control, they needed more men and new tactics. There were reinforcements incoming but he didn’t know what they composed of nor their exact numbers.
Lord Grimaldus had been losing quite a few Squires as of late as they were proving to be ill equipped for facing the Goblins in melee combat with their clubs, it wasn’t too suprising due to the larger size of the hobgoblins that were so common these days.
Lord Grimaldus wrote a letter and dispatched it back to Dunesphere, he described the losses that he suffered and requested a large shipment of crossbows and individuals who could train his squires in their use. Any additional Serfs or Squires that had already been trained in their use would also be helpful. Grimaldus was sure that his soldiers were proud to lay their lives on the line in the name of God and to protect he people however he would be happier if fewer actually died.

Lord Grimaldus was encuraged, after a month the three new farms had been set up and planting had begun. The soil wasn’t impressive and reports suggested that it would take a long time before the harvests were anything special, but it was a start. Once they begin the crop rotation the soil would slowly get better, sure it would take years but better then nothing. At the very least they will have a small surplus, he could use it as a way to encuourage the people. Moral was sinking among the towns after Bartsport was lost and the recent attacks on Jamesville. Now he could promise rewards to those who work harder to keep their towns secure, towns with increased productivity would get an additional shipment of food. a friendly competition between the remaining towns and ports would take their minds off their troubles.

It was around this point whe Lord Grimaldus’ good mood vanished. It was at this time when he was informed of the catastraphy at the Oasis of the Great Uf. It was bad enough that the attack had been ordered without him being informed, by the time he even heard about it all he could do was scramble some mounted reinforcements. Now he was informed that all cavalry units had been lost, a hovercopter as well. Thankfully the other two hoveercoptors and the Antares had been recovered, sure it would take a week to repair them but at least they were back. Dozens of soldiers gone, and apparently the Goblins had new anti air waponry? Their own hover techology? How could they have that? They fought with spears and axes, demonic magic not technology.
He doubted that the Inquasition would make such a mistake, but this really wasn’t good. He could he protect his people if the Goblins had such power? He ws heavily outnumbered, their metal weapons and technology had given them the edge against the scattered tribes. Now that they seemed to be uniting, and now with new influx of technology, could they stop them? Tens of thousands of people lived here, would they all die, being swarmed by the Green tide?

He would have to request additional reinforcements, normally what he got would have been enough but with this new information, he would need more power to protect his people. If these lands fell, who knows where the Goblins would go next. Is there any hope for us, only God can save us, but will he?

Lord Grimaldus felt like he had been punched in the gut when he heard the newest disaster. His scouts had checked up upon the overdue hunters. Their bodies had been found stripped of all gear, the wagons were all gone as well. Paladin Faco was one of the very few paladins who wasn’t blinded by zealotry. Now she was dead, no one would else would be like her.

This was his fault, he had tried to show restraint. He did not want to escalate the fighting, surgical strikes to keep the Goblins from gathering together, then both sides can just stick to skirmishes and not descend to large scale war. He hoped that the reinforcements that he previously received would scare them into stopping their offensive. Now nothing would stop them. He had failed, and so many brave men and women were now dead because he thought that war could be averted. This war could not be stopped, and the more he tried the more people would die. He had no choice, they were coming and unless he stopped treating the Goblins like misguided tribals every human in the Goblin Lands would die.

Do we have to lose ourselves to save people? Do we have to become the very evil we came here to stop? God save us, for only you can save us from what must come. I cannot continue to watch people die while I cling to morals which do nothing to stop this green tide of doom.

Lord Grimaldus, had no choice he began writing a letter to Dunesphere.

Dear Exaulted Lords of Dunesphere, as you are most likely aware the situation in the south is degrading rapidly. I had hoped that the previous taskforce sent would cow the Goblins and convince them that their war would never work. However we underestimated them. The warring tribes hve united, their previous grudges seemingly forgotten almost like they never existed. Their forces number in the thousands and they have developed their demonic magic to power levels previously unheard of. I had hoped that they would withdraw and not bother our lands however their viciousness and blood lust is staggering. My previous stragy of minor skirmishes to prevent large scale war has failed and too many good men and women are dead now due to my failure.
the situation is now worse, the Inquisition has informed me that the Goblins now have anti air energy weapons and have gained hover technology.

I humbly request a second chance. I request large scale reinforcements designed to be offensive in nature. I now understand that if something isn’t done, everyone, every human will die. I will not stand for this, please give me more power to wipe these vermin from these lands so that no more innocents must die.

We also require a shipment of warm clothing, our hunters have been massacered while trying to gather hides. Many will die this winter unless something is done.

In the name of the Holy One, Blessed be his Name, this is your humble servant,
Lord Paladin Grimaldus

Lord Grimaldus was disappointed, still no word from Dunesphere, and the falling of Simonsburg and the loss of the entire population was quite disturbing, still the farms that had been set up hadn’t be disturbed. They were developing nicely though as expected the yields were small. It would be quite some time before they provided more then a small supplement.

The repairs on the Hovercoptors were complete and the repairs on the tanks and striders would be done within a few days. Things were quiet on the front at the moment, the Goblin tribes had been quiet since they sacked Simonsburg, the Inquisition claim that this is due to the bombing of the Great Uf reconstruction effort. This seems to have been accurate, the army had been dispersed and the main offensive seems to have been delayed. Though there has been no progress on acquiring hides for the citizens and Dunesphere seems to be uninterested in providing them.

Grimaldus didn’t want to send out more hunting parties after the disaster of the last one, however if he didn’t do so his people would freeze. He couldn’t let that happen, the Goblins wanted to monopolize all resources down here and didn’t care about the suffering of others. Perhaps more extreme measures would have to be taken.

As Lord Grimaldus looked upon the casualty reports he was aware of a grim fact, despite what most people within Dunesphere believed, on a one to one basis they suffered far more casualties then the local Goblins, their demonic magics gave them the edge in combat. The standard Squire and Paladin training was not enough, therefore Grimaldus made a decree. “All Paladins and Squires were to received extra training in specifically fighting Goblins, they were to be taught as much as possible on Goblin abilities and strengths in order for them to gain an edge against them in future engagements.” Blind faith is good enough for the people, but his soldiers needed something extra. Anti Goblin training would perhaps lower the death rates among the faithful.

The training was going well, soon enough the new elite forces would be ready. The farms were also growing nicely, thankfully free of Goblin interference. It seemed that the Goblins were more interested in moving west, well that would have to be accounted for.

Jamesville was also preparing, a minefield was being placed on strategic approaches along with pits being dug and stakes being planted in order to delay any attacking force. Additional reinforcements were called in to prepare for possible offensive actions. Food was coming in from the farms allowing additional forces to be supplied. With the main Goblin forces moving out of the area they were leaving their homes vulnerable to raids and attacks. It is too bad that the Goblins were so interested in war, however if they wanted war then Lord Grimaldus figured that he would give it to them. Lets see how they like their villages sacked while their main armies are out playing invader.

Finally some good news, well good mixed with bad. Captain Durandal and Inquisitor Von Gimmel had succeeded in gaining enough hides for their settlements for the winter, plus enough meat for a month which would put some ease on their strained resources. However the noble captain and five of his paladins were injured and had a case of rot. Lord Grimaldus ordered his personal doctor to aid them. Working as Lord Grimaldus`s doctor and the inquisitor assigned to his castle made sure that Inquisitor Maklal was a very busy man. Grimaldus was sure that in his care Durandal and his men would make full recoveries.

Second in the bad news was the theft of the hovercoptors by the dead elves. This was a huge loss, however some good might come out of it. The beacon of each hovercoptor was still active. One of Grimaldus Red Bishops was currently tracking the hovercoptors and when it arrived at its destination they would be able to mount a recovery operation and punish the elves for their interference.

Lord Grimaldus was sitting at his desk, going over some reports about the massive Goblin army moving west through the desert while Paladin Yorik had just finished his report about what happened at Simonsburg. Lord Grimaldus found the actions of the so called Kolgol Militia to be interesting, perhaps something that could be used and soon.
As Yorik turned to leave he hesitated and turned around to speak again.
“Lord Grimaldus, I apologize if this seems presumptuous but I must ask. I had been sent to Simonsburg on a mission to save the people there. Yet shortly after faster then I thought possible a stealthed hovercoptor arrived to bombard the entire town. While the hovercoptors are indeed fast, it would have had to be sent beforehand. Did you believe I would fail or was I just a distraction? I mean no disrespect but I am a bit concerned.”

Grimaldus first looked annoyed at this question then thought back to the battles he had fought with Paladin Yorik, and knew him to be an earnest young man of faith. “Paladin Yorik, normally I wouldn’t discuss such things but I do trust you. I will show you this file here, it was sent to me by the Inquisition right before I sent you to Simonsburg. It says here that our spies believed that the locals had been infected with things called “Brain Leech Nightmares” by the Goblins. These leeches can take control of the bodies of people and force them to serve the vile Goblins. At the current time we have no way of curing this infestation, so I asked the Inquisition to have the hovercoptor nearby just in case this turned out to be true. So, you were sent in good faith, I hoped that we could save those captured but your report that the people had willingly joined the Goblins proved to us that the Brain Leech Nightmares had indeed been used. So sadly the hovercoptor was sent in. I wish we could have saved those innocents but we did what we could. To try to send their souls to heaven before the corruption could damn them.”

Paladin Yorik listened solemnly, “Lord Grimaldus, thank you for taking the time to explain this to me, I wish there was more I could have done for those poor people. I promise you that I will dedicate my life to trying to prevent more people from being manipulated and corrupted like the people of Simonsburg were.”

Grimaldus smiled “I am sure you will do a fine job Paladin, I know your skills from seeing them with my own eyes. However we must prepare for this Gul’al and her army and this Kolgul Militia, as their continued acts of aggression against our people.”

Lord Grimaldus heard about the construction of the hovertrain tracks from Chroou to this newly discovered Dome of Doyest Vesk. He was especially glad to hear the news that they refused to allow non humans into their territory. Perhaps these people could be trusted, sure they didn’t believe in the Lord Almighty but they had potential. Grimaldus knew that there would be Goblins seeking to disrupt this hovertrain construction, and with a charge station near Thomasville church forces could easily get there to show their goodwill. Also with a charge station near Brez and Tla’loc’al this was a good opportunity to show the world the barbarity of the Goblins.

Grimaldus ordered communications to be sent to the bias liberal colonial media telling them that Paladins were being sent to defend these charge stations against Goblin aggression. They shall do their best to protect the workers.

Along with the colonial media local Dunesphere reporters were sent to each charge station to report to the people how far our forces are willing to go to try to preserve peace and the aggression of the Goblins.

After his “victory” at Simonsburg the Inquisition granted him a new fortress, the construction was coming along nicely, it just needed a name. The fortress would be called Isaias, meaning “God is Salvation”

Grimaldus honestly felt that the victory was hallow as they were unable to save the people there. This was spinning out of control, he never wanted full war, he just wanted peace. He resisted so long, perhaps those chemical weapons needed be deployed again. Didn’t like it when they were used the first time, however perhaps the Inquisition was right, they needed to do whatever they had to do to win. Perhaps honor was simply an outdated trait that was holding him back.

Inquisitor Seidermann arrived at the ancestral estates of Lord Grimaldus. They had not changed much since his last visit here to collect the white godsword from Antonine Grimaldus. That had been over a thousand years ago, he thought, Or was it a thousand five hundred years ago.
He couldnt remember. Seidermann had seen too much but unlike the compassionate hearts who after seeing suffering try and overcome it, instead he embraced it. When others learned the Church of One was a weapon designed by the last remains of the kias war effort, others comitted suicide, embraced the path of Saul the Wanderer, or worse. He decided he would embrace their role.
Humans would become the dominant species on Refuge. All others would submit or die.

Those humans too weak too follow his orders would be crucified like happy little Henley Grimaldus all those centuries ago. He adjusted the ring on his finger. One of many taken from the heretics. This one had once been a Grimaldus heirloom then he had claimed it after administering the test of holy pain to Henley. Wanting to work alongside the natives? Henley had said, wanting to teach them the ways of Earthers to redeem them. All officially blasphemy but to Seidermann it was also too much caring.

The church of one did not spread by love, Seidermann firmly believed, it cleansed by hate.

Now his plans were fully underway. Every tribal council had been infiltraited by his cloner Kalokgogs. They pushed the natives to war against the Earthers. Though it had cost him his home and family in Bartsport he was now ready to march on the Ruins in the south.

He just needed rich fools like the newest Lord Grimaldus to keep the violence on the natives at an equally high warfooting.

He looked back at the tarp covered strider and then over at a nearby squire saying , “Tell Lord Grimaldus i am here to deliver his Juggernaut strider. Purchased for his grand crusade from the Great Forge at Dumbar.
Tell him Lord Seidermann is here to deliver the weapons and bless his house.”

Inside he gave a silent malicious laugh, a blessing indeed. One more blessing heaped upon the abused and misused house of Grimaldus.

The guard at the gate bowed before Inquisitor Seidermann then went in to fetch Lord Grimaldus. Lord Grimaldus walked out of his estate with his Squire Lactus, they bowed low before Inquisitor Seidermann. "Lord Seidermann a pleasure to see you, I am glad to receive this holy weapon and your blessing.

Lord Grimaldus was worried, he had come near the battlefield outside Thomasville at Inquisitor Seidermanns invitation, and what he saw there was horrible. Had things gotten so out of hand? An entire army of Goblins sieging a town, then there was that illusion army, heh, the Inquisition were clever with that one.

He would not send his main army into battle unless the Inquisition’s negotiators were given a chance, he asked them to tell the Goblins to consider mutual enemies like this Kogol Milita, or these undead Goblins that were now in a siege of Thomasville that had kidnapped the Inquisitor and that Goblin he was fighting. These were the monsters that were behind the wars, he knew it to be true. How to fight them though, their weapons were powerful, but they had to be stopped or all sides would be destroyed.

He was about to order his vanguard into the fight, not his main force, just five hundred Paladins and five hundred Squires thirty Inquisitors and twenty Red Bishops when he heard the news that the Valley of Vegalia had declared that all of these lands belonged to them and they were going to allow the Goblins to live here. They just took over everything on their whim? Their arrogance was astounding, perhaps a smaller force against the siegeof Thomasville, he could not risk the armies of Doyest Vesk marching against them now, he didn’t want to war against another colony, but if they wanted to just seize these towns against their will, the armies of Dunesphere would protect the people like he swore to do.

Arnold Grimaldus gazed upon his family armor, and the holy blade Infernus, perhaps it was time to lead his people himself, he has sat idle for too long. He would protect his people, from The Demonic Undead, or the expansionist Doyest Vesk, either one could be the manipulators of these troubled times, and he had to face them, or he would be betraying the innocent people who looked for him to protect him.

He was going to march out when he heard the radio message from Thomasville asking all to lend their prayers to them. Pray to God to empower the Holy Light of the Lord to not only protect the remaining people but to expand to destroy the undead attacking. This was the right thing to do, God’s power was supreme, he order his thousands of Paladins, and Squires, and his servants, everyone, must lend their prayers to Thomasville to drive away the unholy army that was arrayed before it.

Grimaldus walked among his soldiers, thousands of soldiers drilling, working hard to become even stronger then before. For two months he had had his soldiers training, after all if they weren’t going to be deployed they might as well be doing something. His information had been flawed, the Inquisition told him that Goblin resistance would be light, raider gangs not armies. Simonsburg, Drewsport, and Bartsport lost, Jamesville, Johnsport, and Petersburg were intact while Thomasville had to be reclaimed and rebuilt. Things would be hard enough without Doyask Vesk trying to muscle into the situation, they wanted to use the Goblins as their vanguard to take this area, it seems the Goblins were only too eager to be their pawns.

However Grimaldus had not be idle, with the training of his own forces and sending the more zealous Paladins away on missions to die, his own army was primarily loyal to him. He would be ready in case the Goblins tried to expand more, so far it looks like their offensive was blunted. You never know though, the time for play was done, Soon his armies will be ready to move and if the Goblins thought they knew what Paladins were, they would never see his elite armies coming.

A report from Inquisitor Rose informed Grimaldus that the rebuilding of Thomasville was underway. Sappers had begun work to reroute the water back where it belonged, it would take some time and some water shipments from Dunesphere in the meantime but the water would return. Also the buildings that were destroyed were now being rebuilt along with the walls. It would take time but eventually the town would return to what it was before.

Also the surviving children from the crusade were returned to Johnsport, they were chastised for their recklessness. The desire to fight is admirable but Grimaldus was horrified at the death count. The children were not ready for this kind of thing, he would have to speak to the instructors at Johnsport about the children’s education. The fact that they had been wiped into such a frenzy that they marched out on their own showed that there was a lack of discipline at the school. If only there had been a way to stop it, the fact that Grimaldus didn’t know it was even happening until he saw the bodies was unacceptable, he needed better communication with his people. Such young children didn’t belong on the battlefield, at least squires knew what they were getting into, these kids were completely unprepared. Disgraceful.

The forward vehicle depot would be constructed at Johnsport as well, in order to protect the students from any more harm.

As the locals knew, the harsh rains of this season would be devastating to most crops, measures had been taken to put up canvas coverings over the crops themselves. This was partially effective, some of the crops still suffered and the canvas had to be frequently reinforced and repaired. However with due diligence these farms will be able to last.