The Damaged Factory Controls

–{ This section is open to Unit 7756, Unit 817, Krodnok, Uriel, Agent Candy, Kolgol, Lalder. Please keep the same characters that were sent into the mission from the Camp to the City in this mission if you took part in that mission. If Commander Krunch decides to run for one of the podium controls before diplomacy, he may post to do so. Any Dead Olgog who does so will be gathered into the machinery and pulled underground to the factory floor. The hand he places on the podium will be trapped and he will be drawn down and the hole in the platform will close behind him. Any dead who does this is considered removed from scene but will understand situation once Mission 5 posts. Obviously dead can’t take part in negotiation and step onto platform together so decide carefully Unit 7756 and Unit 817. Krodnok will enter from one of the other shadow walk entrances if he decides to join this misson and he will be outside the clear cube keeping the expedition trapped on the platform.}–

With little choice now that they were here, the expedition stepped through the darkness.

They came out on a shadowy walkway, and Torkol’ab said, “An artificed shadow links where we are now with the ruined airship field.”

“Any what stops the ferals from following us?” asked Tla’ab.

“Nothing,” said Torkol’ab, “As long as that shadow we stepped out from remains.”

Bo’gan created a floating torchlight which made the shadow disappear, temporarily closing the gateway.

“So we are here,” said Agent Candy, “Now what?”

“What are you doing here?” asked Bo’gan.

“Uriel brought me,” said Candy, pointing behind her to the scholar where he was making diagrams in his notebook of the factory that spread out in all direction below them, “Not that I needed him to bring me, but it is nice when a man tries to handle transportation”.

“Spies,” said Bo’gan, “Damn Earther spies.”

He pushed past them in anger and continued on the walkway till it joined with a large centeral platform overlooking the entire factory floor.

Here a tall and lanky Warmonger’s Dead stood, not wearing their traditional armor, but instead dressed in grey dressing robes and an apron made from krato-hide.

Extra arms and hands had been grafted onto his back, holding scalpels, bone saws and other medical tools.

It obviously noticed their arrival, and turned to greet them “I am the Dead Surgeon Naveed of Unit 111. This is the Tomb of Holys, who would be Godking over Reality. I am happy you arrived. We are in need of new soldiers for the cause.”

“And what is the cause?” asked Bo’gan.

“The release of the Flagship of Warmonger from the prison dimension,” said Dead Surgeon Naveed, “We have agents working on countless worlds to make this occur, and the galactic alignment will occur soon enough. The Border Wars of the Northern Kingdoms drew out the Ancient Evils and saw the steps leading to the release of the End of Days.”

“And Holys wants this?” asked Commander Krunch.

“Holys sleeps, he will awaken after the new world is open,” replied the Dead Surgeon, “In here is what you truly seek, the machines that will make your Dead Warmachines, yes?”

Bo’gan stepped forward and raised an acid grenade over one of the consoles.

“We don’t care about your Warmachines,” said Bo’gan, “This place rules the Dead of Warmonger, you must know where the Dead have taken the body of Eloga.”

“Whom?” asked Naveed, “Was that the martyr who died along with the arrogant Tladol? No matter, no matter. We do not have his body. Unit 111 was not involved in his death.”

“Then tell me what dead has taken him??” demanded Bo’gan, preparing to detonate the acid all over the controls.

“One of the independent Dead, Krodnok is his name,” said Naveed, “Perhaps you wish to know where he is? He is moments from opening the Laboratory of the Bishop Kasanth. You can imagine of course the things that will be released when those doors are opened. Perfectly in time with the return of the Flagship of Warmonger.”

Bo’gan detonated the grenade and it melted some of the controls. Naveed disappeared into the shadow of a nearby console as the platform suddenly extended clear walls to box the expedition in on the platform. The walls were marked with both wards against shadow and earth. They were trapped inside, and Bo’gan found the clear material would not even melt when he attempted to drench it with acid.

The voice of something alien spoke from the damaged console.

“I am Holys, tied living and dead and all to this factory. The pain of your damage to my factory has awoken me,” said the voice, “Wake me the rest of the way, and gain great power.
Dead who lust for power, take a position on the two circular pads that glow with power and place your hand on the podium that extends above it.”

Bo’gan snarled with anger, “How do we put this back to sleep?”

“Great,” said Candy, “This was what I was trying to warn you about.”

“This is fascinating,” said Uriel, “Unexpected but fascinating.”

Commander Krunch was already edging towards the Podium Console.

Uth’lal glanced around in interest. Now he was beginning to remember why he had decided this trip would be worthwhile. Of course, it would be much nicer if he could live to tell about it, and he had every intent to do so. He looked over at the Commander, who seemed eager to get to the podium.

“Don’t you think you should wait a moment before we go touching things? I don’t know about you, but I have an intense distrust of strange consoles that offer great power for apparently nothing. Let’s take a second just to get stock of this situation before we make it worse”

Yeah, how about we detonate fewer acid grenades waking up horrible evil creatures, unless that is your fancy and intent? I don’t know about you, but I generally dislike the blow things up first ask questions later…if ever.

“This coming from an earther who thought it would be a good idea to bring a wannabe nightmare lord into a k’ias war facillity? I am actually surprised that we haven’t been killed by the defense systems yet. That is like walking an olgog into the Cathederal of Man in Dunesphere and expecting the paladins not to notice. Are all earther investigators this slow or do you take courses?” Torlok’ab shook his head and turned away from the earther female.

Nodding to one of his troopers, he motioned toward one of the podiums. “check that but don’t touch it without orders. We let the breathers try things their way and all they seem to want to do is destroy relics and release the horrors.”

“Bo’gan, i told you i was coming alone to try and keep you from releasing the abominations trapped within this facilty. I warn you now, if you release Holys, we will make sure that your name is reviled thru out the ages for the act”

Candy looks at Torlok’ab, then to Uriel, "Wannabe Nightmare Lord? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (Candy laughs hysterically for 10 more seconds) ah. The Warmonger’s Dead thinks he is smart, so cute, ah, yeah.
Uriel is far smarter and more useful then you and your entire Unit, you are a far bigger threat in any situation then he is. You should worry more about being a pawn of Warmonger, heh, you actually think that you are in control of anything, so cute.

Feel free to continue children, I will sit here and not get in the way of you big, strong, super smart men. A small, dimwitted human female like me will stay out of your way."

Candy turns or Uriel “Uriel, if you need me just ask, I will hear you”

Candy snaps her fingers and vanishes into thin air.

Looking at Uriel, Torlok`ab seems astounded. “Are all earthers this arrogant? Does that breather really think that she just fooled any one? We are in a room designed to stop a Falosini from escaping, specifically warded to stop shadow wlking and teleportation abilities, and we are to believe she left? It would take a Soveriegn to just ‘pop’ out of here. She yet again proves that whe has no respect. She ahs been insulting and rude since she has shone up. IS she always like this?”

Uth’lal tapped one of the walls, looking at it with interest. Warded against shadow, earth, and apparently acid, that certainly took a lot out of his arsenal. He doubted his air leyas would do very much against them, and fire was just as likely to roast them all alive. Even if leyas was out of the way, there were other options. He glanced at Pluto, who simply nodded amiably, clearly not understanding that they were trapped.

“I don’t suppose anyone in here has anything useful against this stuff? I think using leyas would be pretty bad idea, so if there is a more…mundane option, I suggest we start trying things.”

Tla’ab will stand in front of the dead soldier heading to the pad. If it was Commander Krunch, he couldn’t have made it in front of him. \ Tla’ab says "Stop, No dead should approach the console. That is what this thing wants. There must be a different way to get out of here. Until we figure this out, noone will approach. I do not recommend any dead touch me as you will not like the feeling. "

Tla’ab takes a stern look long beyond his years. To himself he readies Ray of Sun, but modified so it runs through his body striking anyone touching him instead of shooting out.

Tla’ab will then say “What is this thing?”

Uriel glances up from his notebook at Torlok`ab in a distracted fashion.
"Uh, yes Candy is very… opinionated. Thought she is correct the likelihood of any safe guards here mistaking me for a Nightmare Lord are certainly very small. Honestly I would be more concerned for yourself. It is clear to me that you have freed yourself from Warmongers control even after this brief observation. But if a new command crystal were to be installed you’d go back to being a mindless pawn. That seems a great danger in a dead factory. You and your troops should exercise great caution. " Even as Uriel spoke his pen flew across the pages adding new notes and sketches, documenting everything in the room.

Tla’ab said “Is this command crystal like the one that was stolen then broken? And what is in there?” as he points to the pads.

Pluto casually sauntered over near to the podium. No one expected someone that wasn’t dead to have any reason to use it, so he hoped nobody would care too much. He looked at it from a few feet away at first, examining it for any signs of something that might be potentially dangerous, or for any sort of trap around or under it. He was utterly hopeless with machinery, and being nearly completely blind was another problem. He very much wanted to feel it with his hands, to get a good idea of what it was, but he had a feeling someone wouldn’t take kindly to that sort of thing. Finally, he resolved to touch it, just quickly, maybe nobody would see. He took one step, then another, and then another towards the podium…

A sweet female voice whispered softly into Pluto’s right ear “we aren’t causing trouble now, are we?”

Uriel started wandering around he room taking further notes and consulting with other books he kept pulling out of his bag finally he stopped writing in his notebook and addressed the group.
“We are in a warmongers dead production facility and that,” he pointed at the podium. “Is the control station. I highly recommend no one touch it. If the wrong commands are entered it will activate the on site defense force which will be about.” He paused to count the pods visible along the walls outside the sealed chamber. “Five hundred warmongers dead. As for why we are sealed in, that is an automated lock down triggered when Bog’an damaged the console.” He walked over to the console for a closer look. “The good news is it will reset and the chamber will unseal in about forty-eight hours.”
“The console can also be used to upgrade existing dead. If the upgrade process is started the chamber will unseal but there is a great risk that the dead sent though will have its mind over written and come out of the process with an unstoppable desire to kill every living thing it sees.”

Pluto’s head turned slowly towards the voice. He recognized the voice, he thought that he had heard it before, but in a place far from here. He couldn’t quite place it, but he decided that it was probably just another part of becoming old. He was less than a yard from the controls, but as the shadowy researcher-man spoke, he began to think better of touching it. However, Pluto was not accustomed to having to wait 48 hours for much of anything. He turned towards shady-man-who-is-not-nightmare-lord and asked,

“Must the person who does it be dead? Is there some way that it can detect if one is or is not living or not? It is a good idea to try the latter of the two choices I think, because I don’t intend to sit here and wait for who knows what to come through that portal.”

Uriel looked at Pluto for a moment one of his hands dipped into a pocket he removed what looked like a jewelers hoop. It disappeared into the shadows around his face. He leaned toward Pluto and studied him carefully for a moment. When he was satisfied he spoke.
“We’ll anyone can activate the console but as I said if you input incorrect commands you will awaken the defense troops who will I am sure be more than happy to kill us. The only other way to open the lock down would be to start the upgrade process but that has its own set of risks not only to us but also to the dead undergoing the process.” His hand reached into the shadows about his face and came back out holding the eye piece. “Tla’ab, to answer your eariler question. Each Warmongers dead is implanted with a receiver crystal when they are created then they are slaved to a command crystal. It is rare for a unit to break from Warmonger but when they do they must secure or destroy their crystal. Otherwise someone could use it and issue commands that the unit must follow it smothers out their intelligence and self awareness. That is why one must be careful when dealing with them if their crystal is still intact they can be controlled by who ever holds it or directly by Warmonger or its Generals so long as their crystal exists.”

Pluto squinted at Uriel, trying to make out what was beneath the hood. Earthers were certainly a strange people, but then again, so were the olgogs. Despite that, Pluto still felt that he had a right to investigate the controls for himself. Before he did though, he asked

“Do you have any idea what the command would be? I am utterly helpless with most technologies, and you seem a studious fellow.”

Uriel considered for a moment “It depends on what you want the factory to create. If you enter various sequences of commands it creates different sorts of dead. If you enter a command the system does not recognize it will activate its defending unit. There is some variation in the consoles but I should be able to translate the controls. It will take some time thought.” With that he walked to the podium and after removing a fresh notebook and a battered journal from his bag set to work.

Pluto stepped a bit closer, remaining far enough back so that he would not be in the way. He was curious as to how these machines worked, and would never turn down an opportunity to learn something, even if it was from an earth-man. He observed from over Uriel’s shoulder as he worked, occasionally voicing his opinion as to what something might mean. After all, even if he was nearly blind, he’d been around a while and was determined to assist with any knowledge he had.

"This script is a bit like the language used in the book of the Ancient Evils. " Uriel muttered to himself after few minutes of working. He worked quickly acknowledging Pluto when he spoke. Uriel didn’t really need the help with this task but it was always rewarding to find another being who sought knowledge for its own sake. He had about half the controls mapped out when he noticed the small door on the side of the podium. It was set flush with the rest of the metal, fashioned to avoid notice. Uriel opened it carefully. Behind it was a large black organic mass contained in a cradle of fine metal mesh. Tubes ran into and out of it from all direction. “Ah the control organ.” Uriel noted with a hint of triumph. “This will make things faster.” With that he held up his right hand which twitched oddly a few times and split along a previously invisible seam between his pointer and ring fingers. A long thin proboscis extended from his hand. It looked something like a giant mosquito sting. He gently pushed his changed hand it into the fleshy mass. A strange sucking and gurgling sound could be heard.