The Classic Airship Yards of the Rhug'na'ru

Reshed, The Captain, looked at the Olgog in front of him, Hide, a short one at that. He had a short stature of 6 1/2 feet and an old hat pushed up onto his head. “So what is this again?” Hide pointed at the few sheets of paper on the table. “These are designs for a flying machine, lighter than air and are what the earthers refer to as an ‘airship’.” He pointed to the largest sheet which had a side look at the machine. “This would allow us to defend our home with relative ease, along with troop transport and fast mobility.”
Hide looked up at Reshed. “I would advise you to build a few, get some of those Union or syndicate members to help us. It might take a few extra resources that we may not have, such as A lifting gas called helium.” The Captain sighed. “So we can’t even build one on our own?” The short olgog nodded. “That is correct, however, these are more than worth the trouble.”

At this point Olav walked in, tossing his rifle on a side table. “Whats this I hear about a flying machine?” hide turned to him, almost smiling, if he had been known to. “Yes, I was just showing The Captain here my designs for an airship. Try to convince him will you?” Olav looked over at Reshed, who shrugged. Olav turned back to Hide. “Ok, explain this thing to me and what we will need to do in order to make one.” Hide motioned to his papers and started talking.

(OOC)

What we have

• thin metal and cloth for the gondola
  • compressor (to compress the lifting gas)
  • Wood for the rigid frame of the envelope and floor of gondola
  • Ropes and pulleys for the rudder and elevator flap controls.
  • Cloth for the envelope
  • One combustion engine and metal propeller
  • Sand for ballast
  • containers for Helium/Hydrogen
  • Leather for the gas bags

What we need

• Lifting gas, such as helium or hydrogen
  • Fuel for the engine

What we will be doing

Starting now, the Rhug’na’ru tribe will begin putting together this airship, the first of many. It will not be large, most likely just a bridge, sleeping quarters for four, and whatever weapons we can stick out the windows. We will always have five of our villagers working to put the structure together and craft the envelope and gondola, but we will not get off the ground without the essentials; like gas and lifting gas. We will be, when we get some, storing whatever we get into large containers connected to out compressor, which when ready, will be pumped into our Airship

I would appreciate it if and when anyone finds some, to please notify us of the location. As for the leather and hides, we hope to get a good trade.

Olav Nodded. “Begin building this as soon as possible. We never know when the unexpected may happen.” Hide nodded, taking his papers and heading out of the room. The Captain grunted a farewell and followed him. Olav thought for a moment then, picking up his rifle, walked out to gather some volunteers in the tribe to begin construction.

As the sun began to rise on Refuge, Makog traveled from Unen to the Rhug’na’ru airship yard. With him he carried a barrel covered in cloth. When he found Olav, he motioned to go somewhere more private. Once there he set the barrel down and uncovered it. “This barrel…” Makog stated overdramatically, “may contain exactly what you need to get your flying ships off the ground. I believe the Earthers call it ‘hydrogen’.” he smiled triumphantly. "You can probably start growing these here on-site. Just make sure it’s underground. Makog then leaned in close and whispered, “be careful, it’s quite volitile.”
With that, Makog left, traveling back toward Tla’loc’al.

The Captain smiled, looking into the barrel. The mushrooms were on a black rock inside the barrel, quite a few actually. “It’s good that we were friends with the Ol’lur or we might not have these.” He looked up at Olav. “Open up the lowest storeroom we have, and begin cultivating these immediately.” He took out a cigar, looking at it. “Make sure the room has proper piping and ventilation to bring the hydrogen up to its containers.” he thought a moment, putting the cigar away. “Also, no more cigars in the bunker.” Olav nodded, taking the barrel out of Reshed’s “office”.

He smiled to himself. With this fortunate turn of events, the airship Hindengog will be ready for its first flight after a short time. “And Rhug’na’ru will make its mark in Olgog history.” He said to himself.

The Captain looked out the window, the clouds passing by down below. “Well, Hide. I never actually fully expected this to work.” He moved out of the way of another tribe member, who was headed to one of the guns. Hide shrugged, standing next to him. “Well, lets just say I did and leave it at that.” He patted the helmsmen on the shoulder. “Der’ab here has been practicing, on the ground of course. The rest of the crew, 5 in total, have been training just as hard, making sure her first flight is smooth and uneventful.”

Reshed nodded. “Well I am impressed, she is well armed, quite fast, and she actually flies.” He motioned to the guns. “Very well armed. We shouldn’t have much trouble dealing with any more attacks.” He turned to the window again, quite a mark indeed.

Hide stood between their two newest airships, dubbed The Cyclos and The Zephos. The worker’s were running about, some getting orders directly from Hide himself, who stood before the prints of the two airships. He scratched his chin as the workers returned to their spots, their questions answered and orders given. It hadn’t been long ago that the Captain returned, then hurried off again to Simonsburg. He had briefly told Hide and Olav what had happened at the factory, and how other situations could be changed by their ingenuity and intelligence. Hide had began drafting the designs of two new airships immediately after the conversations. He had made them with the winds at their side, to destroy or to aid, and Immutables at the wheel.

The Cyclos Airship

This was the first that he had drafted, after the battle (of sorts) at the factory, he realized the weaponry aboard the Hindengogs were obviously not the main priority. He had to remedy that. This new airship focused on the militaristic side of the Rhug’na’ru air-force. More mounded guns and rockets would make them even more formidable than before. This called for a larger envelope and gas bags to hold up the heavier craft, but the way he designed it should have prevented any change in speed, if anything it should be faster than the old Hindengogs. The hooks beneath the Cyclose would be spaced out to have two biplanes, one behind the other, for even more potential strategies. There would be a crew space as well, with several bunks to allow a large number of potential troops to be transported.

The Zephos Airship

Another thing the Hindengog Airships lacked was storage and transport space, aside from a small munitions closet, it had little but floor space. This new one was large, albeit lighter armed, and included a small hangar for storage, which took up much of the space of the ship, leaving the gondola below it. There would be no hooks for biplanes on this one to keep it as light as possible, which included a smaller staff, and less room for bunks. This model looked more towards trade than battle, however it could be used as a mass troop transporter, albeit less comfortable than the Hindengog or Cyclos airships.

Hide chewed on a piece of dried meat, looking at the two airships, almost complete. He was a genius if he did say so himself.

Cyclos and Zephos Model airships (x2 each, may be used for the Finale part 1 missions this week) and are approved.