Lord Grimaldus arrives to face the Grand Northern Army at Thomasville

A blinding cloud of dust was kicked up, enough noise that could even be heard over the sound of the bombardment. Scouts for the GNA scrambled to report to their leaders of the sight.

Behind the Grand northern Army stood the armies of Dunesphere, with the flag of Lord Grimaldus himself.

Lord Grimaldus stood at 6 foot 2 inches tall, clad in his silver family armor wielding his family blade “Infernos” passed through the generations, granted to his family by the Holy Inquisition. He sat upon his warhorse dominating all around him in his grandeur. However it was the sight behind him which terrified the scouts giving the report.

A thousand Paladins their armor gleeming in the sun, the first seven hundred on foot with their swords ready, the other three hundred in two groups of one fifty on each of the flanks. Two thousand Squires spit up into four groups of four hundred standing at ready with metal maces, the other four hundred also mounted with lances supporting the Paladins on the flanks. Providing support was thirty Ballista and thirty Catapults, interspersed throughout the army to provide cover. Twenty Steam Tanks to provide the extra punch and ten Artillery Striders at the rear of the army to give additional bombardment.

The skies were also busy with two dozen hovercoptors and a dozen Gunpods buzzing around in formation ready to move out if ordered.

Lord Grimaldus moved his horse a few steps forward and shouted "GOBLINS! YOU WISHED TO FACE THE HOLY CHURCH IN GLORIOUS COMBAT, WELL HERE I AM. I AM ARNOLD GRIMALDUS OF THE HOLY LANDS OF DUNESPHERE! COME FORTH IF YOU DARE! I WISH TO SPEAK TO THE LEADERS OF THIS RABBLE! I WILL KNOW WHO HAS DARED TO CAUSE ME SO MUCH IRRITATION!

Riding up behind the grand army of dunesphere, the undead rider whistled thru his teeth. ‘That be a lot of earthers. best do this fast and get the hell out of here.’

Spurring his slephnir, the courier charged the rear of the army. as he approached, he swerved and threw a spear toward the rear lines. The spear fell far short of the nearest squire. Turning the rider and his mount disappeared into a nearby shadow.

When the squire looked at the spear, he noticed a paper tied to the shaft.

Inquisitor Mollum just finished warding his cross, heavy things, was a pain to get into the ground. It was done now though, now the warding was complete, his fire ward was complemented by an earth cross, an air cross, a water cross, and a shadow cross. They could not risk the Goblins tossing their foul magics in the middle of the army.
That is when it happened a thud sound, an arrow had slammed into the ground near one of the Squires, after a couple of seconds the squire turned his head just like he should. Mollum walked over to the spear and saw the paper. He waved at the Squire admiring how much more impressive he looked compared to your average Squire, with his iron mace and the chainmail armor ggleaming in the sun. Mollum untied the paper and read its contents…then took the note to Inquisitor Knight Rose Horrowitz to let her know what it said.

(not that i know what it says heh)

The Note Reads:

"To the one in charge:

This letter is to inform you that the town of Drewsport was attacked by the Kolgol militia and a Demonic being. At this time, the forces of the Redeemer are holding the north end of the town and attempting to prepare it to repell further attacks. The local contingent of Churhc of one forces was killed by the Demonic being. I would like to request a negotiator from your forces to come discuss the situation of the town. I will garuntee the safety of your envoy and up to 3 bodyguards as long as they come to treat under good faith. If these terms are acceptable use the north road to enter town and carry a red flag.

Captain Tormog’ru
Shield of the REdeemer"

Off in the distance, one of the Paladins serving as part of Lord Grimaldus’ personal honor guard, who had served for decades with distinction leaned in.
“Lord Arnold, I fear what my keen eyes see. I believe I see an army of children on that far berm over yonder. God always blessed me with far sight, and I see a hundred or so little ones. Not the kind called bastards, this is truly children. And it looks as though they will charge the most deadly of the sections of pike walls. I see no man, or being leading them.”

The now massive base camp of the Church stretched out as far as the eye could see, soldiers protected from the elements by Mak Hoblok hide tents of all sizes. Inquisitors providing blessings to ward off sickness. Regular patrols around the camp showed an elevated level of alertness throughout the camp. Lord Grimaldus would frequently stand at the front of the camp and shout challenges to the Olgog armies to either talk or fight.

On one such time Inquisitor Knight Rose Horowitz stood next to him as they observed the Children’s crusade beginning. The Olgog scouts could hear them speaking to each other.

“My Lord, it seems that the instructors at Johnsport have been negligent in their duties. The children will throw their lives away in this pointless act of bravado.”

Lord Grimaldus shook his head “Their courage is admirable, all should be so bold.”

Inquisitor Rose “Should we not stop them? They cannot lift the siege, they will simply die accomplishing nothing.”

Lord Grimaldus “They are the brave sons and daughters of Dunesphere, they should have their chance to prove their worth, if God smiles upon them they shall live. Otherwise they are useless to us.”

Inqusitor Rose “But my Lord, they are but children! When they grow up they can make such choices but now? We should stop this maddness!”

Lord Grimaldus “Silence Inquisitor! I am attempting to parlay with these mongrels because you pleaded with me to do so, I shall not deny loyal holy warriors of Dunesphere their chance to show their worth. Now be silent or you shall be an example to anyone else who questions my decisions.”

Inqusitor Rose backed away with a bow. "My apologies Lord Grimaldus, I do not mean to offend. The army shall provide no aid to the children at your order. Should we send anyone out to gather the fallen afterwards?:

Lord Grimaldus “If they perish here they are not worth saving, let their unworthy bodies rot.”

Inquisitor Rose “I bow to your wisdom in this matter…my Lord…”

Inquisitor Rose storms away to be by herself for a while away from the army. Her mind dwelling upon the misguided children who were about to be lost forever.

Lord Grimaldus shouted out again “Come Goblins! Are you too frightened to stand in my presence? You cower in your holes when you should be out here! Come now! You were brave against hunters looking for game! You were brave when ambushing travelers! Come now! Be brave here and tell me why you should be allowed to live!”

Urog overhead the Earther shouting at him. He chuckled. One day, the Earthers would learn that most of their kind don’t speak Earther.

He shouted at them, in Olgog, “If you ask me in Olgog, then I would be more than happy to answer your question.”

Inquisitor Rose shouted back using translate “If you wish I can act as a translator between you two. If you wish to speak.”

(OOC I am leaving for work in a few minutes, I guess negotiations are rather moot now looking at the mission thread :stuck_out_tongue: )

Urog then said, in Earther. “I can speak Earther.” Switching back to Olgog, "But I think it’s ironic that you always ask questions in Earther and expect an answer in Earther. Especially when you ask why is it we should be allowed to live. The answer why we should be allowed to live is simple. Because we deserve the right to live.

It was obvious that he was not just speaking to the Inquisitor, but rather to the Olgog behind him. “Because it’s not that we want to fight, it’s that we want to live. And as so long as your kind keeps invading our lands, we feel threatened. You burned Simonsburg to the ground, you released nerve toxins into the air as our kind rebuilt the oasis that you destroyed; a site we consider most holy. You may consider each deserved, but we believe we have the right to live. And those trespasses will not be forgotten. So you tell me, Earther, why do YOU deserve to live?!”

Grimaldus listens to Rose then responds "You speak of responces to your aggression, Simonsburg was attacked after you attacked and siezed it, the oasis was poisoned after you used it as a gathering place for this very army. If you considered the site holy then perhaps you shouldn’t use it as a base camp for an army.

If you want to be left alone, then an invading army is an odd way of showing it. As your examples of our “evil” are only in response to your own aggressive actions I do not see the point as We are the ones causing the problems.

Never the less, by your own words you have shown your own contradictions. Simonsburg would not have been burned if you didn’t attack it. You oasis would not have been poisoned or destroyed if you didn’t use it as a base camp for your army. You demand that you be allowed to attack us and we not respond. What kind of logic is this? Only the Logic of a warmonger."

As Grimaldus finished Inquisitor Rose interjected “Sorry for the interruption. it sees that some business has come up, please excuse me I will leave this to the two of you.”

Inquisitor Rose leaves.

Urog had no further patience. He replied, again in Olgog, “You did not answer my question as to why you should be allowed to live. There is no need. Here are our terms. Leave this town. It will be retribution for the ills you have caused us. In return, we will provide you water to go back to whatever town east of here. From there we will negotiate a peace between us, and do whatever you Earthers feel the need to do in order for peace. There need not be any death today.”

grimaldus sneered, "You have no claim to this town we will not hand it over just because you feel the need to conquer. However to show that we are the bigger men the artillery shall not fire unless you provoke us. As long as no Goblin makes an offensive move we shall not make one. Your kind will be allowed to return to Brez in peace. If your kind makes any offensive move though the deal is off.

Go home, and maybe will not follow."

“You misunderstand me. I’m not making a claim on the town. I’m saying that you are to LEAVE the town. We will destroy it, and that will be the end of it. If one day Earthers and and Olgog can live in peace, we will rebuild it together.”

Grimaldus laughs “ah, you amuse me little Goblin, how about a compromise, I will evacuate this town, as soon as you evacuate Brez, one for one. You walk around like your shit don’t stink, that the world owes you everything. If people don’t do what you want they are bad so you are justified to take it from them. You are a pathetic worm. The world does not bow to your whim, you hide in a hole because you are vermin that should be exterminated. The Inquisitor begged me to talk with you, to allow you to take your army and go home unscathed. I should not have even bothered, run back to your hole, I will abide to my earlier statement, On mu honor I will not strike the first blow, because I am better then you. Once your kind show their blood lust you will be punished.”

As the attack commenced the illusionary army and illusionary Lord Grimaldus vanished.