Goblin Lands 2 Diplomatic Mission Week 21: The Invasion of the Tomb Factory Part 2

Each of the Representatives were disarmed, their weapons handed back to their allies. It was an exhaustive search but considering the amount of Magi Cannons now focused on the disabled UtR fleet half-submerged in the Bay of Holys, most representatives went through it. Their safety had been promised, but none of them really trusted the Warmonger Cultists serving alongside Unit 111.

The representatives were brought into the command chamber which had been armored and rebuilt since their last visit. Its new controls were enhanced by a Sylvan command crystal. The center of the room where the Usurper sat still had a steady flow of Leyas. The Area the representatives were asked to stand was warded against all elements. A further safeguard to prevent speech from escalating to violence.

Speaking on behalf of the “Prisoners of War” was Dead Surgeon Zehdzeal of Unit 7756 who had once been held similarly by the very prisoners of war he was speaking for.

Some recognized Uriel, also captured during the assault. He seemed fascinated by the new defenses unlocked by a true sylvan command crystal. Uriel covertly held an orbital strike beacon that could call down a Damoclese strike if the negotiations went too badly, but the overt effects of that were unknown considering the Negamancer Holys was still somewhere below them.

Some tribes like the Auf Lal’al could simply teleport their people away, but it would mean abandoning a fleet they had worked so hard on. The magi cannons of hundreds of Dead were pointed at the damaged fleet. The Dead Planar Knights could drop their shields as fast as they could raise them.
None including Unit 111 had expected the power handed to them by Unit 7756.

The area the representatives were allowed to traverse was a catwalk off to the right of the command center. Below the catwalk is sea water and submerged tunnels. Above them is a mountain of crushed tower and twisted composites and bio-organic material. To one side a doorway leading upward to a set a corridors that leads to the section currently held by Krodnok.

To the other side, two doors. One leading down to the Unit 111 held factory floor. Another leading further down to the now submerged heavy equipment storage and production floors.

“Welcome to the Tomb of Holys, I am a caretaker named Majyedd,” said the Usurper, “You may call me Majyedd or simply Caretaker. I seek an end where the Negamancer Holys does not raise and impose his evil rule on this unexpecting world. I have calmed the Dead but they wish to blast you from existence.
What reasons should they spare your peoples?
What do you offer in exchange for your lives?
Why did you invade this sanctuary to the Negamancer?”

Mission Rules

All players may make unlimited postings.
All other actions are compressed together by the DR team with a focus on storyline, so do not worry about paradoxes between different action posts.
Not every aspect of every action will be shown. This is especially true of actions that exceed two paragraphs.

[b] NO COMBAT MAY OCCUR IN THIS POST. NO ATTACKS. NO USING LEYAS ON ANY CHARACTER YOU DO NOT PERSONALLY CONTROL. NO LEAVING THE DIPLOMATIC ZONE IN THIS MISSION]

Open to all tribes and all mercs who took part in Invasion part 1 and gained access. Others may only appear via commcrystal (radio) held by Uriel, Lalder, Krodnok Or Derlur.

This mission ends on Friday 2nd May at 8.PM. E.S.T.

Red Bishop Declaire nodded his head politely “Greetings Caretaker, I shall use that title because I lack the confidence to be able to properly pronounce your name respectfully. I would first like to say my comrades and I appreciate your willingness to talk rather then let further violence have the day. As to your question of why should your Dead soldiers spare all of us? Well the answer is simple, because you wish something of us. Lets be honest here, if you wanted us all dead then that is what we would be. You would slaughter all of us and feed us to your dead soldier making machines. So the real question is, what would like like from us to justify sparing our lives?
As to why we are here trespassing in your fortress? I cannot speak for all present, but my comrades and I are repaying a debt. We owe the tribe of Lalder a debt so we came to repay it.”

The Usurper smiled politely, "Yes of course.
My first instinct is to say my only desire is to have you all leave in peace.
But sentients rarely go home peacefully when they have already assembled a fleet of war.

Which is why i seek to understand the motivation of the many nations assmbled here girded for war?"

Auf Lalder was not happy at how things turned out. The factory was not activated to this extent the last time they were here. His plan should have worked, but something must have happened. Now they stood here. He needed the time to reactivate his fleet. And for that, he would do what he could.

Lalder said to the Caretaker "The motivation was simple. Unit 111 attacked us before and was bound to again. That is what they do. Last week an enemy Dead showed up at a meeting with the intent to destroy the relationship we were building with the K’iou. He claimed an Elder in a tribe of the UtR was working with/for the warmonger’s dead. And his ploy worked, this pushed the K’iou over the edge and they ceased all positive relations with all Olgogs and threaten war.
With that, we still had the Oners attacking and free to attack more, the K’iou debating war, Terrorist attacks, and Unit 111, we though attacking again. We knew where the factory was and we thought the factory unprotected. Too many fronts, and too many enemies. Through this attack, we thought we could limit one enemy’s ability to wage war against us.

Looks like we had underestimated the defences of the factory and Unit 111. "

Smirking the Usurper said, "Many tribal elders work with the Unit 111.
Only the elder in question would know if they made deals or not.

So your plan was simply to destroy the factory?

Or was it to take it for your own purposes Auf Lalder?

So i suppose all these Olgogs gathered here are your lackies? Slaves or Servants to Auf Lalder?
Since they dont speak for themselves should I assume they are your retainers in some feudal lordship?

After all the only other alternative is that they are independents or allies who are too frightened to speak…"

Reshed coughed, shaking his head. He had decided to let Lalder speak, since he had brought them all here in the first place. Apparently that was a mistake on his part.

“That would be the incorrect assumption, but not one that is so far off to be completely wrong to some.” He looked at the Caretaker. “I am Captain Reshed, of the Rhug’na’ru. We came to the aid of our Ally as he asked us in message. You may have heard of the UtR, that makes us allies along with others here today. I saw the chance as an opportunity to see if he could pull this off in a way that wouldn’t kill us all. I’m glad to say that we still live, aside from the failure to take this place. If he succeeded, good for the UtR and my tribe. If he did not then…” He waved his hand in the air, thinking a moment.

“Nothing really. We came for that and, of course, the chance to find technology we may be able to use.” He tugged the collar if his uniform. “But now, here we are at your mercy, and myself with nothing to offer, that I would suggest myself of course. If you have a suggestion or a demand we would be glad to hear it.”

As the others spoke Uriel took hurried notes about the gathering and the newly activated defenses. He had seen similar systems before but never one so entact. When Captain Reshed was done speaking Uriel took a break from his notes and addressed the Caretaker.

“I am here acting as a representative of the Colonies to the North. Our purpose here was to prevent Holys being awakened or freed. Though I will not deny we would be more comfortable if this factory was not under Unit 111’s control. I expect that is not a surprise to you.”

A waterlogged squire stood in the corner of the room, shifting from foot to foot. He was thoroughly soaked from the crash into the rocky sea, and his anger at being shot down was the only thing keeping him warm. Aufgog Pluto was overseeing repairs, so the task had fallen to the young captain.

“I am Dominic Levi Strauss, former captain of the Inferno, the Baribur styled ship that is currently impaled on the rocks outside. I must confess I have little to say to you Caretaker, although your grace in allowing us to parlay after our attack is rather decent of you. I was given the task by my lord Kolgol to see to the destruction of the dead units stationed here, and as I do not see that happening, I obviously have failed. I will not beg for my life, but I think if you meant to kill us, you would have done it long before you brought us here.”

“I would ask what you want of me, and that you would give me sufficient time to repair my ship, that we may leave and never return to this accursed place.”

The Usurper said to Dominic, "Fair enough, Captain Dominic Levi Strauss, I appreciate your candor. You stand like a man of the faith.
If you truly wish to leave this place and never return, a deal could be penned to allow it. And it would allow you to take your vessel with you.

A fine vessel you have, perhaps as fine as the Baribur could build. I guess Unit 111 was lucky to call upon Falosini the masters of the Baribur to strip its power. I will have a contract drawn up for your peaceful withdrawl.

But before that there are so many other guests to address."

"Captain Reshed, greetings. You say a desire for ancient weapons technology brought you here.
As caretaker i often collect the cast offs and parts no longer used by the Unit 111.
I could provide your tribe these parts in exchange for your signature guaranteeing a withdrawl and future nonaggression.

What is a little weapons technology if it averts a larger conflict eh?"

Finally to Uriel he said, "Greeting Colonial Representative.

I am not of Unit 111. But your suggestion obviously begs the question:
If not Unit 111 then who would protect this place from wondering adventurers and Church of One agents seeking more weapons to oppress this continent?"

Auf Lalder responded "I had planned to keep a group here to protect the factory if it was not destroyed.

My main goal was to remove Unit 111 from control of the factory. But after that, I would have liked to see what can be learned from the factory and what could be used help our allies."

Lalder had done that same thing with the Sylvan ship that had crashed and the group of elders had found. From that he had learned how to apply shields to a vehicle. And even later, they gained access to the crystals due to his taking care of the ship.

The Usurper said, “Auf Lalder if you desire to be the new caretaker of this factory and Holys tomb such a thing could happen.
But it is not something to enter into lightly. Just as it cost every other caretaker it would cost you your everlasting spirit.
But if you are willing to give up your soul this entire place could be yours…but i cannot hold over the keys for you if you cannot pay the piper.”

Auf Lalder says "I do not wish that job. I do enjoy the chance to learn, but given that cost, its not for me. No thank you. "

Entering from the catwalk over the flooded section, a cloaked Dead nodded to the gathering. Throwing back his hood, he states “sorry for the delay in my arrival. The Captain in charge of my squad would have preferred to be able to attend himself, but as he is unable to disarm properly, I have been selected to stand in for him. I am called Ralphie.”

Looking at the people in the room, he continued "we are here to prevent anyone from doing anything that would awaken Holys. And just a friendly warning, to all of you, " with that his gaze swept the room. Returning his eyes to the caretaker, “we see you, demon. And we will do everything possible to prevent this conflict from escalating. This native of this land do not need the weapons of the ancients to wage thier wars.”

Looking at Lalder, he went on “you’re a fool to seek these weapons, they are the legacy of what you call MagMagGor. Far older and more experienced beings have been lead to their ruin trying to master them. If you truly believe that you are up to the task, please realize that if the forces that fought the k’ias and destroyed them decide you are following in the path of the Warmonger, they will most likely destroy you before you grow too powerful. And realize that your allies the Sylvan would be among them.”

The Usurper was not perterbed, he said, “Welcome Ralphie.”

Turning back to Lalder he said, "Auf Lalder did I just hear you say you would give the lives (and souls) of your allies to take this factory but would not give your own to simply have it freely without bloodshed.

I wonder how the dead of Unit 111 converted from such would be conquerers would feel about that.

Then again Mr Ralphie has a point. If you were to deploy the technology you discover here none of the great planar knight species would allow you to keep it. They think Olgogs are lesser subcreatures unworthy of their technology.
They would prefer to see you languish away in the stone age.

But that wouldnt matter if I gave it or not, so you must have known this when you came to claim this factory?"

Uriel again puased in his note taking.
"Actually had the factory been taken I would have advocated for its decommissioning. If such could be done with no risk of waking Holys. If that proved impossible I would have recommended a shared effort to safe guard it from exploitation. Except for archeological research. " He finished sounding wistful.

Ralphie

Lalder sighs and says "Ralphie, you and yours always think knowledge is about weapons. Maybe even more than I do. Its always your first accusation of pre determined guilt. Have you ever considered that same knowledge is what allows me to feed as many as I do? Or think as to how I move such massive amounts of food around? Or how we helped clean up the radiation mess the earther’s left? Did you know we could explore space right now if the Earthers wouldn’t shoot us down?

It is true, I have built up weapons and defences. Those weapons and defences have even helped to save the city you now claim. I mean protect. It is a line to walk, but it is also one that must be walked. If we did not change, and adapt, or fight. The Oners of Dunesphere would wipe us out. Others would enslave us. This does help the Warmonger, I’m sure. But what other choices do we have? I will not let those Oners wipe Olgogs out like they want.

I did not consider, which was foolish, that the Higher races would take this factory if we took it. They are leaving it in the hands of Unit 111. I didn’t think they would care. Of course, it sounds like more is here than I had once known about."

Then to the caretaker "I do not believe my taking your place would be bloodless. There would consequences, for me, for my tribe, and for the UtR. "

Red Bishop Declaire turned toward Lalder “You keep bringing up Dunesphere, as far as I know it has been a while since they have tried to move against the Goblin Lands. The last time a small scale attack to convince you to fight with those of us who have broken free from their control. Even before then, they were unable to destroy the Olgog species even when you all were divided and weak. Now that so many of you have united and have formed such power like yourself how could they do better then before? This factory isn’t necessary to fighting them, you need no such power for defense. I do agree that leaving it in the hands of Warmonger’s Dead is a bad idea though, they have a reputation of violence and warfare.”

Looking at the caretaker "You said you wish to draw up paperwork for each group to sign to formalize a peace between them all? I am worried that the locals have little experience with these types of customs, I insist that my people and I help draft these peace agreements alongside your people to make sure you don’t word the contract so it overtly favors you. This way we can make peace agreements that no one is bitter about in the end. I doubt there is a huge amount of trust on either side at the moment.

Dead Surgeon Zedzehl shook his head and turned to face Auf Lalder, “You came to a factory zat produces weapons to learn peaceful technologies?”

He turned to Uriel, “You zaid the EEF would decommission the factory. Heir Auf Lalder says zee factory would be used to teach his nation to learn zee technology enclosed here. Which is zis? It seems you two have different agendas.”

He turned to the usurper, “Heir Caretaker, zis seems obvious. Auf Lalder came here in search of power and mislead his friends and allies. They thought they were doing some greater good because he mislead them.” he motioned to the captured olgogs, “They should be released but heir Lalder should be held accountable for zis disaster.”