Goblin Lands 2 Diplomatic Mission 22: Preview at the Museum

In all of the Goblin Lands only one community knows what a museum is. And that is in Brez. The former Earther city even had a beautiful museum built from marble and duracrete that had survived the years of neglect and even its yearly roasting by the Flamewinds. It had once held priceless Earther antiques, but when Brez was destroyed by the flamewinds near the end of the Goblin Genocide, what wasn’t burned was quickly looted. It still had stone display columns, walls of empty space, and a beautiful if empty reflecting pool.
The combined efforts of local Brezans, Tla’loc’alans and Earthers got the place ready in no time. It would be open with free admission to all Brezans and with a small donation to all tourists. It would accept treasures from all tribes and all individual collectors for safe keeping as well.
It had hired on expert mercs of the goblin gunner tribe known as Harry’s Heavies to keep the riffraff in line, and even hired on Maverick Multimancer, traveling adept to ward the place.
The curator was Onalna Dolmis, a former member of the Gang of the Broken Mirror, and a relatively well known historian and archeologist in Brez.
The preview was designed to get other tribes to donate artifacts, relics and examples of their own traditional artwork to the exhibit. The largest exhibit was the High Chief’s Headdress donated by Derlur the Nomad and Hikiti and Tusk of the Gang of Uf Mag’og. The magnificent head covering of leadership was allegedly funded and paid for by the Mag Buskt himself.
Still Onalna had done excellent work sourcing her first artists from the Colonies. Zaf’arah Ni’cto, the emminent K’iorn woodshaper had many living Khaz’gha statues in a display called, The Pain of the Refugees of the Genocide. Each was a different refugee of the Goblin Genocide that Zaf’arah had tracked down and convinced to pose for the wooden statue. They each evoked their pain at the loss of their lands, their families and their ways. For a modern Olgog standing in it, even those who considered themselves like Tla’loc’al or Karov, it became so clear how much of Olgog society, pride and knowledge had been lost during the Genocide. History, wisdom and philosophy which equally perished in the plasma furnaces and in front of firing squads. So much oral tradition lost. Some who stood in the forest of moving wooden statues wondered if modern Olgog life was just a mockery and satire of the real old ways. Were they all just grasping at straws for the deeper meanings their ancestors had been unable to pass down due to fire, and sword and murder by the ignorant?
In finding the Mag Buskt, many Olgogs had learned their culture was far older than they had been told. Settlements of Stone designed so perfectly they could last the test of time had been recreated down to the last pebble by famed Olgog stoneshaper Hobmak Hoblaltla in the room that once held the reflecting pool. Many Brezan leaders were surprised that olgogs had once built structures that were equals to their Earther counterparts.
Even the famed Earther artist Justinius Brand had donated the entire collection of his “Green Period”. During the Green Period, Justinius had done sketches and inkwashes of Olgog laborers living around the colony of Dumbar. Some showed Olgog factory workers, others showed Olgog farmhands, and one incredibly powerful piece showed an old Olgog street vendor, dressed in rags and animal hides, arguing with a well-heeled Olgog Enforcer in an earther style trench coat and fedora. This collection alone was worth one million ghaz.
The party was also a wonderful place for non-allied groups to talk about allied military actions and teamwork in future areas of trade and resource management.
But not all was well at the preview. While violence was forbidden, an infamous Olgog was there on insidious ends to track down Derlur the Nomad. He had gotten in using the invitation to the Tribe of GulTor’Uf.
He could see many tribes had sent leaders. Most probably lured by the promise of a place where powerful and rare trophies might be stored but not stolen. With the commonness of raiders in most of the Goblin Lands (both Earther and Olgog), many tribes had to hide their most valuable relics and could not show them off in the way pride demanded. At his side was Ollurug, who was still being employed to track down Derlur the Nomad.
The Nomad is somewhere at this party…

Special Reward: Any player who is involved in this diplomatic thread gains access to An Impervious Vault. This reward allows the player to store one artifact, vehicle, weapon, or gear inside the Museum where it may not be stolen, raided, lost, or destroyed. An excellent place to store mission reward items not in use, as well as Art Objects that represent your tribe.

Mission Rules

All players may make unlimited postings.
All other actions are compressed together by the DR team with a focus on storyline, so do not worry about paradoxes between different action posts.
Not every aspect of every action will be shown. This is especially true of actions that exceed two paragraphs.

[b] NO COMBAT MAY OCCUR IN THIS POST. NO ATTACKS. NO USING LEYAS ON ANY CHARACTER YOU DO NOT PERSONALLY CONTROL. NO LEAVING THE DIPLOMATIC ZONE IN THIS MISSION]

Open to all tribes and all mercs except GulTor’Uf.

This mission ends on Friday 16th May at 8.PM. E.S.T.

OtO Wandered in with Ollurug, a few words to him. You boss is here and I need to speak to him in private. Make this happen, and everyone walks away today.

Eric was excited to go to the museum. He had seen some of the musty pulp comics, he couldn’t read the words they were saying but from the pictures he had learned much. Earther museums always contained all manner of monsters, desiccated skeletons wrapped up in cloth, hideous stone statues which came alive. He was sure the olgog museum would be even more dangerous and cool than an earther one because earthers could be kinda squishy but olgogs were strong.

Ka Joe was elated to be accompanying his mother Rapirova to the museum as well. Ka Joe had learned to read the earther language while he was at the orphanage. Navigator Turin had taught him more about pretty much everything. He wished he had access to a library though. The museum though would be amazing he expected the museum to be a wonder on every wall. Dismay welled up within him when he arrived to see the primarily empty museum. “But…our history, why, where did it go?” He asked shocked.

Rapirova shook her head feeling his sadness. The family had regained some of its history from things they had learned indirectly about the Mag Bruskt but even that was limited. Mama Rapigog rightly feared retaliation for defying him and hadn’t made contact with him. “All gone, the only source for da history of our people is da eldest da Mag Bruskt.”

Ka Joe’s shock went away as his mind started working. He came up with a hair brained plan. He would need help though. He knew just the gog to do it, he went off to find Eric who was wandering around looking for the monsters he hoped lurked in the basically empty museum.

Rapirova approached the caretaker. The museum was enormous but empty. The sculptures and paintings at the front were its primary exhibits and they weren’t even crafted by the olgogs of the lands.

“This place, it has potential.” Rapirova noted. “The Kul’Gul Rapi wish to donate some tings. They came from many tribes when we came together to learn from da Auf Ur’Sa.” She opened her shadow cocoon bag. The first thing she pulled out was the cloak and torch of the Ka’Gor. “Dis came from the Army of the True flame.” The red cloak was decorated in numerous symbols and a fiery motif. She showed the caretaker how the torch worked.

The next thing she pulled out was an everfull barrel. The nondescript barrel immediately filled with water when she removed the lid, it was of Unenese style. “Dis is one of da barrels we give out to da tribes to make sure dat all tribes have water, like da Thundergods commanded.” She bit her lip and said, “It’s not very pretty but it can fill da pool. Maybe you can have a gog sculptor make some art to hold it.” Rapirova also took out an arrowhead made of obsidian, “Dis is da Gul Kalokya of the Auf Lal’al. Da herd of Auf Lal made dis to purify a fountain or pond, if you can include it in da reflecting pool to keep it clean.”

Next Rapirova took out a folded piece of green cloth. She unfolded it and smiled, “Dis is one of da original flags da GUTS made, it a ting of history hopefully.” The olgog skull Jolly roger grinned black as night against the bright green background.

Rapirova took out her chill bolt pistols. Like All the pistols the Kul’Gul Rapi used it was whittled from a piece of driftwood. Along its sides ornate carvings decorated the wood. “Da Kul’Gul Rapi, we not have much time for art, but dis is one of our tings.” Whittling and wood carving were favored hobbies of Unenese fisherman waiting for their catch.

Finally Rapirova took out a black and grey burial shroud. “Dis ting, it may be cursed. It was made by da dead. But it for da dead, so I don’t know.” She shrugged. The shroud would make any corpse it was cast over into an instilled nightmare, Mama Rapigog had a dislike from it and was more than happy to see it leave the coven. Though the caged eye and above it a star were prominently displayed it was covered in numerous other symbols. Symbols even Mama Rapigog didn’t know. “Da dead that made dis, he was mag mag, these symbols, no one in da family knows what they mean. Maybe they from our history lost.”

Bruskis fearing Mag Buskt? That is something that would fall to OtO to fix. The position he has does give responsibilities. Unless he takes care of this fast, his personal mission will have to wait.

OtO walked over to Rapirova “Go to Mag Buskt, ask him your question. He is far more reasonable than you believe. If you really, believe you need protection, then tell Mag Buskt I sent you.”

He would look at the burial shroud, to see if the marks are similar to the ones that were put on Bill.
He would comment on it, if it was nightmare ruins recommend they take it to mag Buskt, if not he would state that they weren’t the same used on Bill.

Rapirova nodded to the large muscular olgog, “Thank you for your protection. I will pass this on to Mama Rapigog. It is for her to act on.”

From behind an empty pedestal Eric looked to Ka Joe and whispered excitedly. “Did you hear that? We use Olgog the Olgog’s name and you can go talk to the eldest!” Ka Joe swallowed the plan was coming together and he was suddenly afraid. He pushed the fear down if this worked all of his kind could get the answers they needed about their past.

A blonde earther in his mid twenties stepped into the refurbished museum. He wore steel plate mail, a long sable cloak, and rich leather boots that denoted wealth. He looked about, looking slightly unimpressed by the burgeoning facility. He glanced around more carefully, pretending he was admiring the architecture or something, although he was really scoping out who was there.

He noticed a bruskti talking to a familiar looking olgog. He couldn’t quite place it, but he knew he’d seen him before. He leaned against a stone wall and tried to look inconspicuous until more people arrived.

A tall haughty looking Earther walked in bearing no symbol except for a weathered ancient looking cross attached to an equally weathered chain around his neck. He was followed by a floating technological cargo hauler covered by a tarp. Walking to a position where all could see him he smiled and gave an extravagant bow and introduced himself, “I am Inquisitor Lord Fleischer, I am proud to be here among you to present a gift to this museum that has been so beautifully restored. However, before I do, allow me to first let you know how long overdue it is that these precious relics of your people are returned to you. They are not only pieces of your past, but also wonderful works of art as well.” Turning toward the cargo hauler Fleischer untied the ropes that held the tarp in place. He then began to pull out each item and introduce them.

The first item was a full sized Olgog skeleton that had been reshaped (with the bones of multiple Ogogs shape it correctly) into a suit of armor able to fit an earther “This piece is called 'Within the Heart of Evil” This piece was created during the original colonization of the southern lands, or as you would refer to it as the ‘Goblin Genocide’. It Symbolizes the fact that while some might think there is more to your kind within them it is just emptiness. Only God can provide true protection, any protection that Goblin’s promise is only an illusion."

Turning back toward the hauler Inquisitor Lord Fleischer next pulls out a painting Depicting a pair of Paladins in full Church regalia slaughtering multiple Olgogs whose bestial features are magnified to make them look more frightening along with their fur being colored a very dark green almost black, turning to the audience he continues “This work is called ‘United against Darkness’. As you see the Faithful’s trust in one another’s Holy Strength can overcome any evil of this world. Now this might look like Earther art, you might wonder why would I bring it here to your museum, surely it doesn’t belong. At first glance this is true however one needs to examine the picture’s details closely to realize that this is indeed part of your culture. Notice the red coloring of the blood, one might think it is paint but lo, to add to its authentic nature real Olgog blood was gathered to give it a more realistic look. Plus you can feel that real Olgog fur was dyed and used for the Olgog figures. Truly this painting couldn’t have been created without your people, thus is a part of your history.”

Going back one more time to the hauler Inquisitor Lord Fleischer pulls out one more item. A large Drum, smiling Fleischer introduced it “This fine instrument was created by a fantastic artist in Dunesphere made from the finest materials. Looking through hundreds of Olgog bones he tested and retested to find the best to form the frame. Then leather made from the skin of hundreds of Ogogs, properly treated to withstand the test of time were looked over to find the one that would give us the best sound. See how it has been designed to resemble a drum of the Thunder Gods.” Inquisitor Lord Fleischer smacked the top of the drum a few times so the audience could hear the lovely sound it made “Truly this is an instrument that needs to be preserved within these walls. It has existed for thousands of years while still maintaining its quality. A masterpiece.”

Inquisitor Lord Fleischer nodded to the cultural treasures he brought with a smile. “This is the gift I give to you ever so proudly, may you show these to future generations and I pray they can enjoy them as much as my people have. However as much as we loved these priceless works, they deserve to be home where they belong.”

Olnalna Dolmis greeted the Earther politely, "Welcome to the museum of Brez. It would be an honor to take in these art objects made with such precision.
I have a special wing set out for these items.

Of course our historical team will have to write up the placards for these pieces.
It will include name of artwork, materials used, name of artist and place of manufacture.

The rest of the interesting historical perspective you have shared will be written down by my assistant. I shall entitle the gallery ‘A Church of One Perspective’.

Thank you again for traveling this long way. Please enjoy some of our traditional food at the buffet."

A dusty Earther, dressed in a travellers cloak, begins a slow and loud clap as he approaches Inquisitor Lord Fleischer. As he approaches, remnants of Inquisitor platemail can be seen underneath his cloak. To most olgog, the modifications are enough to distinguish Windsor from Fleischer, but Windsor was sure that at some point, Fleischer would recognize it.

“Thank you, Inquisitor Lord Fleischer. I’m sure the olgog will love these items displayed in the museum. Earther oppression is an unfortunate part of their history, and should be part of any discussion about their history.” The Earther turns to Olnala to him, “I think it should instead go into an exhibit area next to the artwork coming from Simonsburg. The wing should be called, ‘Oppression and Redemption.’ In fact, I think I’ll commission a work to commemorate the Defense of Simonsburg, where Olgog, Earther, K’iorn and others came together to defeat Church of One Oppression. You remember, big explosion, the complete destruction of the attacking forces. It would be a nice compare and contrast. Something to remind everyone that great deeds can be done in the face of evil when the races of Der’al come together for a common cause.”

He turns back to Fleischer, “Your gifts, I am sure, will be much appreciated. Especially their ‘authenticity’ … … …” To emphasize the point, the Earther who has not yet given his name to anyone uses quotation marks as he says the word ‘authenticity’. He also performed the gesture three times. “I am sure your ‘god’ will appreciate the effects it will have.” He, using quotation marks again around the word ‘god.’ “Because we all know that there’s nothing more a ‘god’ loves than spreading hate and oppression.” The Earther exaggerates haughty jovial movements to further emphasize the sarcasm.

“As for me, all I have is a simple lute. Four strings, made of repurposed materials, recreated by yours truly.” He strums the strings, “makes music. Nothing as fancy as what the Church of One donated, or what the olgog use in their Thunder God drumming, but an ancient Earther instrument to remind everyone that simplicity is not archaic or inferior. And that music is the one language that binds us together. May it be used to create wonderful music with the olgog. May the language that binds us together always be beautiful.”

As he finishes his speech, he smirks at the Lord Inquisitor.

Rapirova’s face turned sour in disgust. “You could act at least a bit little sorry for da atrocities.” She said to the inquisitor accusingly. She would have gone on but Vatla’log entered and approached her. The two of them presented the placard from the kiou to the the curator explaining how to use it, ignoring the inquisitor.

Inquisitor Lord Fleischer bowed politely at each group in turn, “Indeed all history must be remembered” turning towards Dolmis “I shall provide you with the official notes, as this is your museum you can made any aside you wish.” Then to the others “If you enjoy these pieces, I am sure we can find additional ones somewhere. However to celebrate the opening these pieces will do. As to my personal feelings (turning toward Rapirova) art is nothing to be ashamed of. Do the Brezan’s feel shame that they live in burnt out Earther made homes? Should I feel shame that things happened long ago before I was alive? No my little green friend, shame is something that you must reserve for your actions and actions that you can work to prevent and might not have. Actions from thousands of years before I was born bring me no shame.”

The polite buzz of conversation in the gallery was interrupted as the doors opened and Rags and Graf of the Outcasts pushed a large object resting on a low dolly into the room. A tarp covered the object from top to bottom. Graf grumbled about the weight under his breath but anyone near by could hear him.
“Can I at least know what this heavy ass thing is? He groused.
“You’ll see in a second. We’re almost there.” Rags replied.
Finally they reached the display area and stopped. Rags quickly set a small brake on the rear wheels and with a flourish removed the covering.
A metal sculpture was revealed. It looked to be made of iron yet it had been wrought in surprisingly fine detail. It depicted two ol’gogs. One dressed in traditional garb and armed with a small hide shield and spears. This first figure looked on in obvious judgment at the second figure. This second olgog was wearing more modern earther military style clothing, with a rifle slung across his back and holding what seemed to be a crude radio in one hand. The other hand was pressed to his brow as if to hold back tears. At his feet a small body lay. An infant olgog, emaciated and at least partially eaten, evidently left out in the wilds to die.
Rags looked at the people gathered around the work as Graf stared at it.
“I call it ‘Hypocrite’, “ Rags said. “Its about the tribes who condemn outsiders as racist and killers, while they mistreat and kill immutable children born to them. Sure earthers and others have done us wrong before. But how much worse are the things we do to each other?” Graf was visibly shocked by the statue. He took a step back for a better view.
“I didn’t know you had it in you, Rags.” He said quietly.

OtO looks at the iron statue, its meaning spelled out over its detail.

“This is meant to offend certain tribes, this shouldn’t be here. Workmanship is good.” saying it loud enough for everyone to hear.

A dapper Earther dressed in a red swashbucklers hat said, "People often find their own history offensive .
That is why most sentients whitewash their own history so they always appear the hero to themselves.

The workmanship is quite excellent though."

Graf looked at Olgog the olgog. “Funny, I didn’t know you were he curator around here.” He said dismissively.
Rags glared at OtO for a moment.

“If any tribe is offended its because they know its true and only they can fix that!” He looked at the items the inquisitor had bought in and shuddered. “If we can’t face up to our past and change how can we expect anyone else to?” He then turned to Maverick with a large toothy grin “You really like it? It’s my first piece.”

Continuing to scan the guests for any that look like Derlur’s description, he would continue this conversation

“If this was just about the past, then this would be a different discussion. This is going on today and is targeted to offend those tribes who aren’t enlightened enough to know what the differences among us are. The idea that you would welcome tribes them vilify them in this would cause the intention of this place to be lost.”

“It is about the past and about the future. How do you expect people to move on if they can’t accept what they are and what they’ve done?” Asked Rags turning once agin toward Olgog the olgog. “Without acknowledging what you are today you can’t grow into what you’ll be tomorrow! Besides who is vilifying anyone? Is pointing out the truth vilifying? And really unless you agree with leaving immutable children to die by exposure, I’d ask how you expect to stop it if even bringing it up is not allowed?”

Hikiti and Tusk were roaming across the museum, happy to be back home after a harrowing experience to get the headdress here. They were excited to see what else would come. At first the pieces seemed mundane, but then the art got interesting. Tusk had resisted the urge to laugh when the Reshed Cross ganger tried to incite them, but she chuckled when that other Earther openly mocked the Earther ganger. Earthers have a sense of humor… she had to keep that in mind.

When the Unenese olgog tribals of Urik came in though, the amusement disappeared. She held back a tear, remembering her tribals doing something similar when she was just a child. No more. She walked up to the one who claimed to have made it. She had completely ignored the conversation between the one who was easily recognized as Olgog the Olgog and artist who made the piece. The teenaged Karovian placed her hand on the artist’s shoulder, tenderly, and said, “When this is past and the practice exists no more, we’ll have you to thank for it. It’s wonderful. May we never again resort to such… things. But I don’t like the name. Not powerful enough. I’d rather call it ‘Grokuf Olgog’ (Shame of the Olgog). As a reminder that only by accepting each other can we grokrhug (earn honor) and reach grokmag (great honor) for our past actions.”

Hikiti nodded. The concept of face (grok) was unBrezan. Except for the occasional gang war between Kingz, there was little face in Brez. But after spending time with Tusk, he was starting to learn what it meant. Brez had a lot to learn. He was happy the tribal council of Der’al was around to share ur. Without seeing the result of the discussion, he quietly and abruptly left.

There was quite a crowd in the museum now, and it seemed more than likely that Lorne’s quarry might have arrived.

The earther pushed off the wall with a metallic clank, and began stalking the room. He walked up to the fountain in the room, and with a flourish of his cape; announced in his best snobby aristocratic tone,

“If one Tusk of the Ooof Maag Ahhg is present, let it be known that I, the world famous cultural collector Lord Blake Jorn Ar’lash, requires an audience with her posthaste and forthwith!”