An Emissary to the Tribe of Rhug'na'ru

An average sort of olgog entered the gates of Rhug Town, wearing common clothes and no visible weapons. He was Unenese in appearance, and clutched tightly a small hide bag to his body. He approached the nearest guard and asked politely to be shown to where the leaders of the tribe held their courts.

Aba’tor had been watching the airships flying around when this Olgog approached him. The Olgog in question seemed common enough, but he seemed… out of date, maybe. Aba pointed toward the primary airship docking station, the tallest building in the town. “That is where Hide conducts his business in this city, and I believe that is the Captain’s personal airship so you may be in luck. Usually he stays in Rhug’na’ru proper.”

Thanking Aba’Tor, the olgog proceeded to the building he had identified. He stated his name to those present, one Mr. Hob to see Hide. Upon meeting him, he would outline a proposition.

“Mr. Hide, I come bearing a proposal from the tribe of Ka’Rhug.”

He slid his sleeve up slightly, revealing a certain brand on his wrist.

“We require nothing violent of course, merely an extraction if you will. You have no doubt heard of the proceedings with the Warmonger’s dead attacking our home in Tla’loc’al. The villainous Krodnok is holding our realm hostage on Der’al with his flying castle, that we might not go back to our own dimension, leaving us prime targets for subjugation. The forces of the UTR are unfortunately under the sway of said Krodnok, and will allow his demonic armory to remain in the heart of their homeland. Despite this, we will not attack their forces, and will only act in defense of our own interests.”

He paused, slowly emptying the contents of the bag.

He held up a vial of a thick, viscous, green liquid.

“This is a fuel that we have just begun the production of in our capitol of Neraka, the only realm in which it can be refined. We have with great effort managed to bring this small amount to you for your examination.”

He then procured several thick pieces of hide, with schematics of some sort drawn out in charcoal.

“These are a new type of engine that we have designed. Greater malie-power, more durable, and able to power your most ingenious of creations. Should you accept our offer, we will take and train five of your engineers to create these engines, and perhaps more in our homeland of Neraka. We humbly offer these things in exchange for one simple favor. In the midst of this battle, a certain olgog will need a quick exit. Send a vehicle to pick them up, and evacuate them back to this place, and we will consider the agreement complete. There will be ample distraction to keep the heat away from your force.”

Hide took the designs and spread them out on his desk, studying the designs. They were rather impressive engines and while he could not test the fluid, at that moment, he was somewhat inclined to believe what this “Mr. Hob” had boasted. He somewhat suspected this olgog was not who he claimed to be, if his origin and the marking on his arm were any indication.

Hide sighed, cleaning off his spectacles with a handkerchief. “These engines do look promising, I have had a few ideas in the works that required more power than our current ones did. This fuel as well seems, at least at a glance, to be genuine.” He paused, returning his handkerchief to his pocket and pushing his spectacles back on.

“I cannot readily agree to such a… shady agreement with such a questionable group. At least, not until I know more. At most I could spare a Xephos model and it’s crew. Maybe a plane as well. But as I said, I will need to know more before I make a decision.”

Hide sat back in his chair, waiting for the sounds of the Captain’s airship’s engines outside the large window behind him to diminish before he continued. “Such details as who it is we are picking up, potential dangers and whatnot. As I have said to The Captain ‘details make the plan’.”

Mr. Hob spread his palms in an open gesture.

“Naturally, you have have every right to be cautious. Given that they have been painted as the “boogeymen” of Der’al, it is easy to forget that the tribe of Ka’Rhug were once considered the most staunch defenders of Tla’loc’al, in addition to all the good and prosperity that was brought about before their fall.”

Clearing his throat, he continued,

“Your men will be picking up a shapeshifter of the tribe of Ka’Rhug. She is quite powerful, and can assume any form of those she spends some length of time with. For the purposes of this endeavor, we thought also to disguise her to fit in amongst your men perhaps, that she might better pass noticed past any who would question your motives. She will be critical in the rebuilding the tribe from what I understand…”

He rose from his chair and paced to the window. Glancing out at the airship for a moment, he said,

“Perhaps, if you would for a moment consider this, you’d like to take a more… assertive approach to the conflict. The floating armory, an ancient repository of demonic and nightmarish weaponry, a relic of times best forgotten, is something our tribe would very much like to be destroyed. A few well placed bombs ought to do the trick I should think. Say a few ships of this fine fleet were to attempt to assist the UTR in repelling warmongers dead. Who could blame them if the wind were to sweep a few bombs off target? Simply an errant thought.”

He sat down again, and asked,

“Any more questions I can answer?”

Hide stared at the Ka’Rhugian, ingesting the information before speaking.

“The last time our people openly assisted your tribe, we were put on the seat, so to speak. You may have noticed the airship that left only a few moments ago. That was Captain Reshed’s, our leader. We, only minutes ago, came to the conclusion that it would be best to stay out of this battle, for the good of our troops. No good comes from battles near what was once Mt. Rhug. I could never authorize any ship to attack the floating monstrosity.”

Hide began to tap his desk with a nearby pen, thinking through his next few words.

“This shapeshifter you mentioned, the one who you want us to evacuate, would not be too far outside of what I am comfortable authorizing.” Hide leaned forward toward Mr. Hob. “Especially considering the compensation for doing so. Of course, I have to worry that she may merge with our troops and we may suddenly find ourselves dealing with infiltration of an unknown sort. One I must take into consideration, of course.”

“That leads me to my next question: who sent you. I understand that Kolgol is off having troubles somewhere, since I have seen heads nor tails of him since the Battle of Mt. Rhug. He was the only reason we assisted your tribe in that conflict, due to some previous ties between The Captain and your previous leader. Then he dissipated, so I hope you can understand my distrust for whatever commands you now.”

Without missing a beat, Mr. Hob continued,

You will have no concerns about the shapeshifter merging with your troops. Firstly, if this was our goal, we would not go through with such an elaborate ruse, after all, it was easy enough for me to enter this room. Secondly, from what I understand, the process of shapeshifting is rather… dangerous. It is easily botched and can result in rather unfortunate results if not carefully practiced. Therefore the shifter would most likely need to spend some length of time in close contact with whomever they were trying to imitate."

“Regarding the one who commands the tribe of Ka’Rhug now; it is Kalok, born of flame and ash. However, remember that he reigns as a god over his people in his own realm, and is quite satisfied as thus. Though small advances may be made to further his influence, this gesture is one to expand the tribe’s influence, not that of his.”

Hide leaned back, crossing his arms.

“Kalok is a demon, born from death, and only death. Why would he no longer want that, do you think?” He sighed, clasping his hands together and leaning onto his desk.

“That being said, you have eased most of my worries. I suppose I can trust your shapeshifter long enough for her to be brought here. However, she will be detained upon arrival if she is not a member of the military and aboard one of our airships. Hell, she may even be executed if the populace ever found out who she worked for. She will need to be in a Rhug’na’ru Zepplin Crew uniform. I can allow you to leave with one for this woman, if only for the safety of this mission.”

“This will not go without punishment from The Captain, however. I suppose I have a piece of the larger picture; the engines and fuel will go a long way toward increasing our power in Unen. That should be enough to convince him, seeing as he almost did far worse for solar panels.”

He sighed again, imagining the consequences for his actions. “I will accept on these terms: You will hand over the schematics today and allow me to look over them as well as the fuel. After the mission is complete five of our engineers will learn the ways of making these engines. We will establish a form of trade to acquire this fuel in mass during this time. In return I will send a Xephos class airship with full crew and a biplane to pick up this woman and bring her to Ka’Rhug. You will be given a R.Z.C. uniform what will be taken back upon the return of the Xephos class airship.”

He made up a rough document highlighting these things for both sides, then looked up at Mr. Hob. “Do you know how to read or write? I can never tell these days. My receptionist lets everybody enter my damn office. If not, sign in whatever way you Ka’Rhugians might.”

Mr. Hob smiled and said,

"These terms are acceptable, I will see to it that this uniform is brought into Neraka by someone who has not felt the influence of the obsidian yet. Trade will have to be negotiated afterwards however, as it is contingent on the state of affairs after the battle, especially if Krodnok is left as overlord of Mt. Rhug’s current resting place. The escape will be coordinated carefully of course, as when the shapeshifter exits through the portal in the armory, the plane will need to be close by for the pickup. Your target is a female earther, blonde, average height and slight build. They will be equipped with your uniform for your convenience and ours. "

He procured the final item from the bag, a commcrystal with veins of red running through it. A remnant of those planted in Mt Rhug several years since.

“This will allow you to speak directly to Kalok, who will assume direct command of her escape plan. All you will need to do is ensure the plane is there in a timely fashion. A pleasure doing business with the Rhug’na’ru, as always.”

He stood up and glanced down at the document for a moment, and then pricked his index finger with the pen and drew the sigil of Kalok at the bottom. The blood turned black as it dried on the page. Taking the uniform with him and leaving the vial and sketches, he returned to the safehouse in Unen to finalize the plans for the battle.