Tales of a demon with a chip on its shoulder

(Disclaimer: This story got the briefest of proof reads. My unique use of spelling and grammar should be considered art not mistakes, and my garbled nonsensical sentences are there to make you think not because I skimmed this thing real fast.)

CHAPTER 1: Temporalmax prison break
I am Blas, created by the unholy union of Matroxis the three spiked tongue and Hanti the foul lawyer. I was born to rule, to corrupt the souls of the living and drive them to delirious conquest. I had almost made it, I had almost been a prince.

Serving Xephon I had first left the city hell dimension to possess a lowly olgog hunter willing to trade anything for fame and glory, a pathetically simple request.  Through the hunter and the prestige I gave him I tempted other olgogs.  I gave them as gifts to soul takers trying to make quotas and malevolents yearning to breathe free and prove themselves.  Through them my agents spread, and with each soul corrupted I rose in infamy.  My agents corrupted the ideals of the naive tribals, sometimes turning tribe against tribe over petty squabbles and misperceived slights. 

One of those lesser demons told me of an opportunity too good to be true.  The favored daughter of an influential thunder priest desired beauty and charm, in her heart were even greater desires to rule using her fathers religion to force all to obey her.  In possessing her I would rule most of refuge.  I could have used her to marshal the olgog tribes against the newly arrived humans.

In my own lust for power I was blind.  The lesser demon did everything it could to reveal my presence.  Instead of an olgog fur green with envy and desire to rule I met a blue bipedal lizard.  A da’uhnb, a time traveling alien race that hunted and captured demons by devouring them..  It was a battle I could never win.  I spent Millenia locked inside the da’uhnb, one of many demons it devoured from my legion.  

Left in stasis with nothing but my thoughts I realized my betrayal was far beyond the ability of the Malevolent who told me of the priest’s daughter.  Other demon lords, fearful of my ambition set me up.  For millennia I plotted the ways they would pay, I would lock each of them in the hell dimension, disgraced and powerless they would be stepped on and abused by every demon with a can do attitude and a glint of hellfire in their eye.

I never expected to get out.  When the da’uhnb was killed at first I was beyond elated, then I realized the blue reptile had been betrayed by its own security system.  That made my escape even more delicious.  

I was in some sort of medical bay, purple examination beds and chairs ringed the outside. In the center was a smoky glass table.  On top of the table was a slimy black and yellow beetle the size of a fist, that had been cracked in half to reveal its glowing green insides, a tall glass of blue milk with ice cubes in it, and a scattering of syringes, blood packets of various colors, and pill bottles.

After taking stock of my surroundings I realized how weak my form was, I was incorporeal and needed a host.  My luck held, a human had tried to fight the da’uhnb and had been gunned down.  As he lay their dying I whispered “Do you want to live?” He nodded weakly as his life blood flowed. “Give me permission to possess you and complete my task, and you will be free to live the rest of your life.”  I whispered.

His eyes went wide with comprehension and he nodded and groaned affirmation. I possessed him and immediately remembered how disgusting flesh is.  My demonic genetics fused to his pathetic genes and quickly mutated his body making us more resilient pulling him back from deaths grasp.  Even after I strengthened him we were still mortally wounded. I could smell the metallic tang of the da’uhnb’s blood in the stale recycled air. I could hear the echoes of battle over the painfully load klaxons. I felt my one hand holding in my guts while the other pulled me across the gritty rubberized floor.  I made it to the table in the center of the room and fought passing out from blood loss.  I pulled myself into a sitting position and began reaching up and feeling around the smooth glass table top.  I knocked over a glass of blue milk and relearned what cold was.  My hand bumped a long narrow cylinder and I forced my clumsy fingers to grab it.  I pulled the syringe to me slamming it into my neck.  The nanites in the syringe quickly went to work patching the gaping wounds before changing into blood and plasma.

I stood up testing my limbs.  I could feel the tears in my shirt and holes in the black marzak body armor I wore.  My grey blue shirt underneath the slightly constrictive armor was drenched in blood and sweat.  Flesh was as disgusting as it was useful.  I skipped over to the matte black pistol grip pump action shotgun my host had dropped.  I picked it up enjoying the feeling of the ribbed foregrip before I quickly raised it looking down the glowing dark green sights.  Flesh was disgusting but you could certainly have your fun in it.

I ran toward the sound of battle and entered the cylindrical central spire of the station. Two floors below a rag tag band of pirates dressed in mismatched clothes and the same black armor as myself were performing a hasty retrograde down one of the spokes of the space station.  The da’uhnb that tried to stop them were gunned either by the auto-gun turrets suspended from the ceiling or the volleyed fire from the marauder’s guns.  I sprinted beside the railing and hopped it and dropping toward the next level down.

I felt my stomach rise to my throat sickeningly as I fell in the low gravity.  Far too much time passed since I last held a form.  As I slowly dropped I watched one of the turrets from the ceiling open fire on an orderly group of desks with long banks of fluorescent lights above them.  The thin monitors on the desks had disintegrated or were neatly swiss cheesed by the turret.  Papers, scattered, coffee mugs shattered.  For an instant I reflected on the humor of Da’uhnb having to do paperwork about the prisoners here.  The moment passed as a turret burped another string of rounds which tore into a side of the grey metal and wood desk The turret had a few da’uhnb pinned behind their desks, only the desks were never designed for sustained auto cannon fire.  The desks were beginning to whittle and buckle from the barrages.

I twisted aiming at the turret, a small round black bubble with two dark grey fluted gun barrels emerging from it.  The shot gun kicked hard causing me to twist and fall toward the next level down.  I landed with an ungraceful thud the low gravity of the station causing me to bounce humorously high before hitting the floor again.

My shot had been dead on though.  Most of the shot pellets bounced harmlessly off the armored turret but one cracked the sensor lens.  Unable to see the turret began wildly gyrating trying to scan for enemies.

I rose from the puke green tile floor of this level and ran for the stairs.  The pirates were slowly being pushed back, if I didn’t link up with them quickly I would be caught in the cross fire trying to catch up to them.  I ran the distance to stairs and jumped landing so I sat on the railing.  As I slid down I watched a da’uhnb dressed in a brown trench coat and matching fedora jump up from behind his desk.  The blue iguana shouldered a chrome plasma rifle.  He took aim to unload a world of hurt on the pirates. Before the partially exposed red coils of the rifle could glow and unleash super heated hell on its targets a brass desktop lamp with an emerald green shade next to the da’uhnb exploded pelting the da’uhnb with shrapnel.  The da’uhnb reflexively dropped behind the relative safety of its desk.  I worked the pump on my shotgun ejecting the shell I just fired. I needed the crew to escape alive, but as far as I was concerned all the demons trapped in the da’uhnb’s gullets deserved that hell.  Every da’uhnb dead was another one of my possible betrayers escaping some much deserved punishment. 

I hit the floor and rolled to my feet, hopping a hastily made barrier of an overturned vending machine.  On the other side of the vending machine was a Kiou woman.  She was short  probaly 4 feet tall.  She had her blonde hair pulled back in a pony tail and wore futuristic black body armor over a purple maroon shirt and black scaly nightmare hide leggings. Leaning over the vending machine she fired a couple of shot gun blasts. “This is nuts!” I screamed at her over the cacophony of alarms and gun fire.

She nodded and shouted, “We’re getting out of here. Cover me!”  She ran behind me I caught a smell of something.  A smell of brimstone run through an air conditioner and saturated with soft rock and muzak. 

I tried to place it but my search of my memories was interrupted by the staccato of submachine gun rounds tearing apart the metal and plastic machine I was behind.  I popped up over the soda machine and put a blast of buckshot into the long overhead lights above the rows of desks.  One exploded raining glass on the da’uhnb below.  The da’uhnb ducked dove out of the way of the shower of glass.  I aimed downward and unloaded a round of buck shot into the green and red upturned front of the vending machine.  Brown and green carbonated liquid geysered out of the machine acting like a bubbly caffeinated smoke screen.

I used the concealment to sprint down the hall way.  The pirates dressed in various haggard clothing were trying to all shove their way back onto the ship.  An olgog dressed in a lab coat seemed to be trying to make sense of the madness and provided thoughtful though ignored suggestions.  I joined the throng pushing my way through the open airlocks and onto the space ship.

The ship pulled away as soon as the last man made it in and the ships airlock could be sealed. I watched from one of the windows as it pulled away tearing off the coupling to the da’uhnb station. The station was a nimble spire surrounded by concentric rings of various circumferences. As the coupling broke garbage, bodies, and air condensing into ice crystals all voided out the gaping hole.

I pretended to sleep.  I had no actual need for sleep but if I didn’t act exhausted it would look suspicious.  I thought back to smell of the k’iou woman.  It reminded me of being a new soul taker.  Like all new soul taking demons I had to perfect my art of contract writing.  To do so I had to write and proof read contracts between souls already committed to Xephon’s hell dimension.

I sat up involuntarily opening my eyes.  That smell, permeated the first few floors of my building in Xephon’s city. Including the floor where malevolents waited for their turn to possess someone.  The malevolents all had to wait on a large ground floor, a never ending maze of benches and chairs in the middle surrounded by a ring of desks.  Whenever a soul taker needed a malevolent to possess a mortal which ever clerk was free would call next, the next ticket number would flash on digital displays around the room, and a bored evil spirit would get their chance at driving a meat suit after completing the required paperwork.  The clerks were low level soul takers who showed no aptitude for the art of the sale, they were spiteful, rude, lazy, and perfect for the job.  

The only way the k’iou woman could smell like that was if she were possessed.  I got up grabbing my shot gun.  I had no idea what I would do when I cornered her but the gun wouldn’t hurt as a prop.

The possessed k’iou was being careless.  She was wandering the ships halls wide awake and bubbly despite everyone else being exhausted and agitated.  “We need to talk.”  I said sternly.  

She smiled warmly, “Of course I know somewhere quiet.”  She led me trough the drab grey hallways past pipes and conduits to a small supply room full of metal parts and electronics wrapped in clear plastic.

“So, let me begin,”  She said, “I want to thank you for covering me back there I thought I would have been trapped behind that soda machine for the rest of my very short life.”  She fluttered her eyes at me, “Whatever can I do to repay you?”  She said trying to give her gruff and  stony voice a sultry timber.

I pushed her back against a plastic wrapped pallet of parts and quickly raised my shotgun, “Don’t give me that.  I know what you are, when were you captured”

Her demeanor changed immediately, “About 10 years ago from this date” She said apathetically.

I had done that math before I pretended to fall asleep, it had been hundreds of years.  “My name is Blas. Tell me everything thats happened since I was captured.”  I demanded.

She cocked her head to side and smirked, “Is that supposed to mean something?  I have never heard of you.”  She laughed, “Maybe you were a big deal in the past but now you aren’t even old news.  Even demons that are old news have forgotten about you.”  She laughed again maliciously.

I felt my shotgun slip from my hands and clatter to the floor as I realized she was telling the truth.  I had almost been a prince now I would be lucky if anyone in the corporation remembered me. I turned away unable to face the laughing k’iou  without punching her in the face.

That’s when the filtered stale brimstone smell intensified.  What happened next happened so quickly it was a blur.  I whirled around in time to see the k’iou in the maroon top had sprouted wicked serrated black claws and was getting ready to pounce on me.  In my hand appeared a sawed off double barreled shotgun with a bulky and dented barrel and roughly hewn wood furniture. I raise my arm faster than she could move so that as she charged forward her forehead hit the twin barrels.  She froze in surprise quickly raising her hands.  Time stood still for a second as a few wisps of smoke rose from the gun and embers fell from it.  I quickly decided what I would I do.

She pleaded, “Wait.” As I pulled the trigger.  The gun shot was deafening in the supply closet though I doubted anyone could hear it through the thick door and insulated walls.  The K’iou woman’s head exploded.  The body slumped down and out her neck an evil looking translucent fanged skull erupted.  The head was followed by a gaunt body skin covering bones, electricity flaring up and down it.  As the malevolent was pulled out the K’ious body by an unseen force the body seemed to deflate collapsing in on itself. The eyeless fanged skull hissed at me as its bony clawed hands tried to hold onto the dead body.  An unseen force pulled the malevolent away as it hissed, once it lost its hold on the body it faded away into nothingness.

The supply closet reeked of burnt ozone.  I picked up my pump action shotgun, the hell fire gun I conjured disappearing as I opened my hand. I stepped back out into the hallway.  All was quiet in the hall making me hopeful no one heard our altercation.  When I got back to the bunk room I saw three brethren in Iron republic armor waiting by the entrance.  The unit crest on their shoulders, an ancient earther armored helmet with a single blue feather on top had a large X gouged through it.  Underneath the gouged X “Cap’n Jak" was hastily written in black ink.

“Where were you?” a The middle brethren asked annoyed.

I shrugged, “Taking care of business.”  My tone made the statement sound like a question.

The brethren on the left rolled his eyes, “Look its your turn, you still want to go see if you can ride dinosaurs like your application said?”

I couldn’t help but be amazed at the stupid wishes of mortals.  Here was a chance to go anywhere in time and my host wanted to ride a dinosaur.  “No.” I said quickly, “This attack was crazy, I need to talk to a priest.”  I said more firmly a plan quickly forming in my head. “I want to go to Dunesphere on Refuge so I can talk to a priest of my god.”

The three brethren nodded in unison then the one on the right said, “You sure that’s your god, because I thought I saw you and the dwarven chick go off to do the nasty.”

I tried to feign my best “ya got me” look.  “Listen I have a lot of sins to confess, you can just drop me off there.”  

The brethren in the middle walked over to an intercomm and relayed my desires.  The Brethren all started walking back to the bridge, 2 of them were arguing over which one looked more bad ass.  The last turned and said, “Get some sleep, we’ll come get you when we are there.”