Goblin Lands Heroic Mission Week 13: Sneaking into Grimaldus' Bedchambers

The path across the Manor of Lord Grimaldus was a dangerous one. The Red Bishop snipers were technically the least dangerous of the defenses, but few infiltrators got past them.
Multiple layers of traps, and locked doors and hidden sentries are inside the upper levels of the Manor.
Which is why the only route inside with any hope of success if an ancestral tunnel network known only to the family grimaldus and warded against Earth, Shadow, Light and Fire Leyas.
Sir Resugent had been taught the ways of the tunnels as a child, just in case the Olgogs ever overcame the border towns. The Tunnels would take Resugent and any sellswords willing to accompany him past the outer defenses to a small doorway that was hidden behind an unused fireplace.
Then it was sneaking past a trio of guards, two Paladins of exceptional skill, and one Inquisitor with a sonic scanner and thermal goggles. The Paladins are loyalists of Grimaldus, the Inquisitor is assigned to keep an eye on Lord Grimaldus as much as defend him.
Then down a hallway, past two veteran Paladins armed to the teeth. This hall is warded against shadow and earth and fire. There is also a Red Bishop in full power armor with a liquid nitrogen cannon and a cloaking device.

Then find a way to wake up Lord Grimaldus without making him think he’s about to be assassinated.

This takes place north of Unen.

Challenges:

1- Who do you send in?

2- How do you counter the guards in the Fireplace Room and the Hallway?

3- What do you say to Lord Grimaldus when you wake him?

Mission Rules
First player to post gets a repost when all other players have finished posting to the mission in response to all other actions.
All other players may only make 1 posting.
Other players may only act as if they have seen the action of the first player who posts.
All other actions are compressed together by the DR team with a focus on storyline, so do not worry about paradoxes between different action posts.
Not every aspect of every action will be shown. This is especially true of actions that exceed two paragraphs.

Special Challenges: 2 Veteran Paladins (use standard weapons listed in GL for Paladins, but F.S. 7) and one Inquisitor Captain (F.S. 7) armed with a pair of Plasma pistols with underbarrel blessed crossbows in a room warded against Light, Shadow, Fire and Earth (wards cannot be stopped).

2 Veteran Paladins (use standard weapons listed in GL for Paladins, but F.S. 8) armed with halberds with Chimera claws (ignores all armor) and one Red Bishop Captain (F.S. 8) armed with a cloaking device and Power Armor and a Liquid Nitrogen sprayer cannon (15 (No A.R.) Chill dmg, chemical not Leyas based). In a long corridor warded against Earth, Shadow, and Fire Leyas.

And then escape back out before the word gets out Sir Resugent and the team was there.

Open to all tribes and all mercs
ONLY those those character who have first gotten permission to join the mission in this thread may join Sir Resugent on this mission.

All tribes are limited to 1 Standard Tribal or 1 youth or 1 Elder.

Lord grimaldus is limited to Sir Resugent and any number of Resugent’s retainers only.

This mission ends on Friday 13th September at 8.PM. E.S.T.

(OCC The Lur union fighter is for the group, and will not be involved except extractions as I’m not allowed the additional forces.)

Prep
Auf Lalder was concerned about this trip to see this Lord. But it this mission worked, the benefits were worth the risk. But he was not stupid, so he took precautions. He left a finger tip and a comm crystal with Auf Lalog’na. If Lalog’na does not here from Lalder, he is to raise him.

Next, he made sure to have a Lur Union Fighter positioned to extract the group if they had to escape with an army on their Heels. They also had a comcrystal as well so he could call them in as needed. The Fighter would be hidden under a camo cloak.

On this Mission, Lalder would follow the earthers Lead. He knew the area best. His job was to get them there and back out alive. The details of who was in front didn’t matter.

Mission
Once at the tunnels, Lalder will activate the Feather that gives him Animal Sight/Smelling/Heaing and improved his reflexes. Summon an Ice shield as well. He would make sure to step lightly and keep his senses alert, looking for the first signs of the Guards. He would use Leyas Site to make sure he didn’t fall into a leyas trap. And also looking to see the Strength and where the wards are. (aka Is the entire area warded, or just tunnels or rooms.).

Additionally, if any, like Derlur wanted to try to impersinate an inquisitor to allow the others to get a jump on the enemy, Lalder would fully support it. Any distraction would allow him to knock out a paladin with Healing Leyas without having further combat or loud noises.

Group 1
At the first group, while the others move in, he will focus his Healing Leyas to put one of the paladins to sleep (Slumber). Then when the attack starts, If the inquisitor is not engaged, he will summon an Air Spirit to surround the Inquisitor and suffocate the inquisitor. Hopefully blocking him from Screaming or yelling. After this Lalder will follow up with nerve disruptions from his ring if the paladins are still up. At the end of the battle, he will help tie up the paladins and heal any wounded in his team (with ring for speed).

Group 2
The 2nd group will be more difficult to deal with. He plans to send a Chimera to the Red Bishop Captain if Lalder can sense him. This is the reason he is using the animal senses. The Power armor might be cloaked, but it will still have a smell and make noise. The Chimera will use its void claws and its Fire breath to counter the chill attack of the strider.

Lalder hoped this would allow the Others, like Lorne, take him out. If this happens, Lalder would then turn his attention to Paladins, using his ring of Nerve Disruption to knock out the paladins. If engaged in Melee combat with the paladins, Lalder would strike out with the Posionbringer Stinger Spear. Using the poison to take them down. He could always raise them.

If Lalder had to keep focused on the Red Bishop, would keep summoning Chimera’s to attack him and use his Skull Crusher Pistol to shoot the Red Bishop dead. Then shoot him a time or 2 again. If the summoning doesn’t work as a distraction, Lalders backup plan was to drop an igloo on him, and then shoot the Red Bishop with the pistol as he tried to break out. Even if the Bishop had to take his hand out of his glove to get rid of the Ice, that would be a time Lalder could shoot him.

Lord Grimaldus
In the Talk to Lord Grimaldus, Lalder will be quiet, but pay close attention to the conversation. Ready to relay any information needed. If asked to introduce himself, he will say “I am Auf Lalder of the Herd of Auf Lal’ al. I am here in the hope that Sir Resugent is right about you, and that you desire peace. I wanted to meet you and see what we can do.”

Failure and Escape Plan
If all goes to hell and they fail, Lalder will work with the group to flee. Lalder will relay all that has been learned. If they find an area not warded against Earth Leyas, he will tunnel the group out. But in the end if they are trapped, he will use conversion to overcome the ward (Max +2 sucesses) and teleport the group out. Healing the damage quickly after, whether it worked or not.

Lalder would lead the group to where the Lur Union Fighter can pick them up and ride off into the sunset, well, sunrise more likely.

Character and Equipment
Lalder ((Auf) LR:5, Heal:4, Light: 3, Shadow:3, Air:3, Earth:4, Fire:3, Water:3, General:2, Summ:3)

[ul]
[li]Equipment: [/li]
[LIST]
[li]ArmorFiend Vest, Armorfiend Cloak (wilderness camo, Concealment), [/li]
[li]Fire Leap boots, Compassion of Protodoxa, Amulet of Channel (Channel Leyas 6 successes),Feather of Kul Gul Rapi (Animal Smell/Hearing, Catlike Reflexes, Animal Sight at 3 successes)[/li]
[li]Auf Wood Spear (ShieldBreaker, Lighting Spear and solar essence), Poisonbringer Stinger Spear, Skull Crusher Magi Pistol[/li]
[li]Ring of Healing (Cure Disease, Heal Internal Damage, Cure Poison (3 succ)), Ringer of LIghtning Strike, Ring of Nerve Disruption, Ring of Tunneling (3 Successes)[/li][/ul]

[li]Life shield/ignore posion (from Compassion), Skin like steel and Light shield when able to (outside of warded area.) otherwise Ice Shield[/li][/LIST]

Windsor, having taken Inquisitor clothing from the battlefield (and a weapon, if possible), would travel with Resugent and his retinue down the tunnels. (His “team” would have taken control of the Strider until his return, but they do not travel with him).

3 phases:

1. The fire place room (1 inquisitor captain, 2 paladins): He’d enter the room, alone. He’d have the note from Resugent (if given by Resugent, otherwise, a generic note regarding current situation from a paladin. This note would say that Resugent is going towards either Simonsburg or the remains of Thomasville). He is not using cloaking skills, but rather actually dressed in Inquisitor armor, with extra wrappings “to keep the dust out.” He’d demand to see the Inquisitor Captain in private quarters as he was ordered not to give them in the presence of anyone other than Inquisitors. If he and the Captain leave the room, he’d cough twice as he left. If they stay in the room and the paladins leave, he’d cough when they left the room. Before telling the story, make sure he gets the Inquisitor Captain’s name. The story: “Resugent and the blood traitors are heading towards the fringes of the Isle of Man. He has with him unknown human and goblin allies. While we can only imagine it is to draw a crusade against the church and to corrupt Church of One power, there is no actual evidence of it at this time. Efforts to instill any spies among his retinue have, as of yet, been unsuccessful.”

If he gets no help because he’s in a different room, his objective is to keep the Captain as busy as possible for as long as possible. If there’s ever a “commotion” where they head back, proverbial back stab using his “climbing” claws. If they end up alone, distract the inquisitor long enough to block the entrance to the room (or turn the lock) using Levitate (artificed, 6 successes). Then coughing cloud him as the crew enter the room and “subjugate” him.

Taking out the paladins: Primary strategy, pull their weapons in awkward directions… enough to distract them from their major target (namely, us).

1. The Long Corridor. Changing his look to be like the Captain, be it through special ability or taking his clothing (whichever is easiest given the circumstances), he’d walk the long corridor first (provided they’re not already attacking and all hell has broken loose). He’d tell everyone “stay here. If I’m in trouble, well… look for blinding lights or massive fits of coughing. Or if it takes me more than 30 minutes.” He’d have the same paper (or papers) in his hand, claiming that the Inquisitor Captain (got his name in prior scene) wanted him to disturb Lord Grimauldus with tidings of Resugent. If they let him, great, that gets him in. If they don’t, then confirm that the papers should be slipped under the door, with the extra note of “we need to talk, urgent matter.” If Grimauldus makes an appearance, then he’d tell Grimauldus, demanding full confidence and no eavesdropping, that a messenger was here to speak to him regarding the current events, and that he was waiting in the fireplace room (where we came in).

If Grimauldus gives pause to request, and Windsors ‘persuasive’ skills fail him (make it borderline melodramatic with a tinge of menace), then plan B. Levitate one of the paladins halberds towards him (Windsor) (he has level 6 obscure on an artifact). Windsor will then have a conversation with himself. “As I told you before, Paladin, I will not give my message to anyone other than Grimauldus, turn your weapon down.” (When he can’t, blame it on demonic magic, trying to keep the truth from Lord Grimauldus). Windsor will then “fight” the “possessed” weapon. At some point, he’ll encourage the paladins to help “subdue” the weapon while he pulls Grimauldus out (by force if need be). And takes him to the fireplace room, where the others are.

If all hell breaks loose, blinding light everyone, levitate the halbeard towards Grimauldus, “save him”, and then do the same above. If Grimauldus is “hostile”, well, blinding lights, coughing cloud, and run like hell back towards “help.”

1. Phase 3 - Getting out. If Phase 2 worked, then we just walk out. If Phase 2 was a disaster, try to steal the Strider first. then “fight” way out. Otherwise, use levitate and blinding lights to “escape”. I can always change appearance to either another inquisitor or a paladin (if given the chance). I’d even pretend to attack the “goblin menace”, but do so poorly and serve only to distract my “allies.” Then I’d find my way out when given the opportunity.

When in doubt, follow Resugent’s lead.

Ignore this please.

Lorne Harlas was fairly excited to go on this mission. He had never been on a trip with the potential that this one had. However, it was fairly complicated, and he much preferred simple killing to all this subterfuge. He sharpened his hand and half sword, and beat the dust out of his crimson cape for the best possible effect. Slicking back his hair, he placed his full helm on his head, and joined the group at the entrance to the secret tunnel. He would stay low, using Hide In Shadows unless a shadow ward prevents him. He would then stick near the front of the group, but behind Derlur, who would go in first.

The Fireplace Room:

He would wait in the passage until he heard the coughs that represented the attack on whomever was still there. He would do one of the following depending on warding; Plan A, Shadow Walk to behind one of the guards and perform a strangulation take-down with his rope, with the aim of being silent. If that was not possible, he would burst in and take down as many as he could with less lethal attacks to non vital areas with his blade. When all was said and done, he would prepare to move on to the next area.

The Hallway:

For this portion of the attack, he would focus solely on the red bishop. He would sprint at the red bishop, leaping at him with an overhand swing with his sword. He would keep the fighting close, using his two handed advantage with his sword to batter him. He had noticed the wards on the way in, which unfortunately made use of his leyas impossible. If the battle proves to be going poorly, he would try to use a Death Blast which is artificed onto his sword, with the hope the ward had either been dealt with, or he could overcome it. If the other enemies were not dead, he would engage them in melee combat.

Grimaldus’s Bedchamber:

Lorne didn’t feel he really had anything to say to the current Lord Grimaldus, so he would allow Resugent to wake him up and say what was needed. As a matter of fact, he would try to lay low and not be obvious, in the event that Grimaldus recognized him for his criminal alias. If he was required to speak, he would keep his full helm on, and would not remove it, complaining of having " bad helmet hair".

Equipment/Skills:

-Full Plate Armor (Artificed with Burst Shield)

-Full Helm

-Hand and a Half Sword (Artificed with fire working and death blast)

-Hemp rope

Zhgog’ol Maklur, uhryu of the tribe will commune with the totem spiritof the kolgul to sneak around.
Without earth, and shadow, he will summon 2 CANTRIPs of ravenous kolguls imbued with LEYAS SIGHT and SLUMBED, think Abbott and Costello as talking rats. These kolgul cantrips are actting almost as familiars. They will look to knock out the guards in the first room while then search for the wards. Once found and seen by Zhgog’ol, he will look to destroy the wards and then send the cantrips on to the next room to slumber those guards, but that would only work on the leyas users. Once the wards are destroyed, he will GROW VINES leading in thd Lords chambers. He will use PASS TREE, to bypass the immutable. From across the room he will knock on furniture to rouse the Lord , delivering the message ‘please do not fear, I bring word from your cousin Sir Resugents. If you wish I can bring you to him and then get you back here. The option is yours, but yoy need to know the true.’ With wards destroyed, the escape if need be ismuch easier, PASS TREE around the place and using his healing staff to heal any that have fallen along the way.

(OCC Adjustments to my first post, note that I’m not closing the thread as Resugent (Lord G) has not posted yet. He’s the most important one on this mission. )

Group 2 (Hallway)
With the Black Lorne attacking the red Bishop, Lalder will let him handle it with just the help of the Chimera. Then Lalder will concentrate on knocking out the paladins. The Lalder will see if Lorne needs additional help taking down the red Bishop.

(Sorry about the really late post, work got into the way, Narrator gave permission)

Resugent knew the plan wasn’t amazing, but honestly it wasn’t getting any better so he just went along with it. He gave Windsor the note he wanted, not sure how effective his plan would be, but better then nothing.

Resugent would lead the Olgogs through the tunnels and see if Windsor’s plan would work then move forward with his bodyguards. He would aid the attacking force by sneaking forward using Nerve Disruption upon soldiers and Inquisitors as quietly as possible to not cause any extra alarm. He will try to knock out the defenders, then tie them up and gag them. As minimal death as possible, aside from any inquisitors of course.

With the Red Bishop, Resugent would know that his leyas wouldn’t work and hope that his allies will be useful in that regard. He shall use nerve disruption against the Paladins and try to contain the Red Bishop to assist his allies.

When meeting Lord Grimaldus Resugent shall ask his Olgog allies to stay back as they would probably alarm him.
“Cousin, please stay your wrath for a moment, I wish you no harm. I understand what you may think of me now, and I do not blame you. The Inquisition has played us all false and have told you many things to make you hate me I am sure. Please remember the bonds of blood that we posess and allow me to explain to you why I have done what I have did. Let me show you this evidence which prove me correct. The Church has played you false and have been using our own faith to manipulate us into becoming their slaves. I know that your anger toward the Native species goes beyond the Church’s lies and I will not ask you to become their friend or ally. I wish to only show you the truth as I have seen it, if you wish to execute me afterwards I shall not resist. If you accept the truth as I have we can discuss what this means more, but if you do not I only ask that you hold me totally responsible and spare the ones who have followed me. They are young and desperate, trying to survive. I do what I do for the people who place their trust in me, just like you do cousin. I pray that you see that once you see the truth.”

Resugent shall show Grimaldus his evidence and hope for the best.