Goblin Lands Heroic Event Week 13: The Dark Truths discussed in the Bedchamber

The tunnel under the Manorhouse of Lord Grimaldus was the only real way past the tent city of Knights and mechanized infantry which extended in concentric circles around the holdings. There was always fear of assassins. Deadly Kasanthian Shadowmancers would test the defenses every few months, always trying to kill of a Dunesphereian Noble and replace him with a doppelganger.

Olgog Anarchists trying to blow up the Lord was another common challenge for the security detail assigned to the Manorhouse. As a result explosives sniffers were installed in all windows and doors leading outside, all monitered by the Red Bishop’s power armor and uploaded to a holo-computer held by one of the Inquisitors.

Yet not even the highest ranked Inquisitor present on site knew of the tunnels of the Grimaldus family. Seeing how strongly the Inquisition had come down on the Goblinsbane Family, one of Lord Grimaldus’ ancestors had spent a considerable fortune on the tunnel system and its extensive anti-scanning countermeasures.

When the door opened Windsor stepped out from the tunnels into the rear of the fireplace, which had a roaring fire going. He extinguished the fire with enough air leyas that a gust of wind seemed to come down the flue. The Inquistor Captain already had his service plasma pistol drawn and a bead on Windsor as he stepped out. Around the Inquisitor Captain’s neck hung a strange metal cross, with a nightmare hide leather backing, and falsewyrm sinew necklace, and his offhand stroked it with seeming reverence.

He flicked off the safety on his pistol, and said, “Name, rank, and prayer of faith.”

Windsor realized quickly he had not quite planned for a call and response code, but should have not been surprised. He thought quickly on his feet, saying, “Philip Seldin, Inquisitor Initiate, The Lord is my shepard I shall not want?”

“Improper prayer of faith,” replied the Inquisitor Captain, but he hesitated and said, “Obviously you came a long way for something, Initiate.”

“Yes sir, I have a message, sir,” said Windsor rapidly, “But I was told only to give it you sir.”

The Captain proceeded to fire a crossbow bolt into Windsor’s leg to his surprise. The faux Inquisitor grabbed the wound overly playing up the pain.

“Think of that as a kindness,” said the Captain, “Now begin walking, you stay in front of me at all times. No sudden movements. You can feel free to tell your story during the rites of truth.
Paladins secure that fireplace, it should not allow outside access.”

Windsor had heard about the rites of truth. He realized he was only buying a few minutes at most before they would know he was not an Earther once he reached whatever room the rites would be held in. Windsor could feel the Inquisitor Captain’s eyes burrowing into his back as he walked. Before the door closed behind him, he coughed twice.

The two Paladins were close to the fireplace when an Air spirit rose from it. The blue creature seemed more spirit than flesh and it flowed over the closest Paladin. The Paladin screamed silently as he suffocated inside the spirit.

The other paladin turned drawing his sword, and prepared to yell and alarm. But in the moment his back was turned, the infamous Black Lorne stepped from the fireplace whipping a rope garrote around the paladin’s unarmored throat. He pulled tight, and the paladin gurgled away trying to thrust his sword back towards Lorne’s midsection. The sword cut into the armor, but only sliced a small ribbon of flesh from Lorne’s side. Lorne pulled tight and finally the paladin fell limp.
The weight of the body falling, pulled the sword across, and Lorne felt one of his ribs snap. The pain was intense, but Lorne gritted his teeth, lowered the body gently to the ground.
Both paladins were unconscious, and some strong rope made sure if they did awaken they wouldn’t be going anywhere.

A pair of glowing kolgul leapt from the fireplace and scampered across the room and out into the long corridor that connected the fireplace room with Lord Grimaldus’ bedchamber. They turned to the two paladins who stood in the hall and both fell down on the ground snoring away. Their halberds clattered harmlessly away.

A large booted foot came smashing down on one of the Kolgul which dissipated into fog. In that moment of metal on wood, Lalder had figured out the location of the Red Bishop, and prepared to summon a Chimera nearby.

Black Lorne charged the Red Bishop who turned towards him and blasted him with a cloud of Liquid Nitrogen which froze him in place. With a roar the Chimera was upon the Red Bishop, its claws cutting through the heavy armor. But the soldier inside was a veteran of many battles, and had already transmitted a silent alarm for backup.
Seconds ticked away as the Red Bishop and Chimera fought.

One of the Paladins awoke and grabbed his halberd charging towards the Chimera. Sir Resugent stepped out and blasted the paladin from his feet with healing leyas that forced the knight into unconsciousness.

Zhgog’ol Maklur used the opening to reach the section of floor boards warded against Earth. He began prying up the board, finally smashing it. He turned growing vines across the floor under the Red Bishop.

As the red bishop stumbled, Lalder took aim with his magi pistol. A pair of beams fused one of the power armor’s legs. The Chimera bowled the Red Bishop off his feet, and he forced the Liquid Nitrogen launcher into the creature’s snapping mouth and pressed the trigger.

Zhgog’ol converted Black Lorne back to life, and the pair destroyed the shadow ward together.

The Red Bishop smashed the icy chimera corpse off him, and turned the sprayer toward the attackers.

Sir Resugent had opened the door and stepped into Lord Grimaldus’ bedchamber as the battle continued in the hall.

The elder statesman had been awakened by the battle in the hall, and was waiting for Resugent as he stepped inside. He seemed deeply surprised to see his kinsman here.

Resugent sheathed his sword and went to one knee, “Cousin, please stay your wrath for a moment, I wish you no harm. I understand what you may think of me now, and I do not blame you.
The Inquisition has played us all false and have told you many things to make you hate me I am sure. Please remember the bonds of blood that we posess and allow me to explain to you why I have done what I have did. Let me show you this evidence which prove me correct. The Church has played you false and have been using our own faith to manipulate us into becoming their slaves. I know that your anger toward the Native species goes beyond the Church’s lies and I will not ask you to become their friend or ally. I wish to only show you the truth as I have seen it, if you wish to execute me afterwards I shall not resist. If you accept the truth as I have we can discuss what this means more, but if you do not I only ask that you hold me totally responsible and spare the ones who have followed me. They are young and desperate, trying to survive. I do what I do for the people who place their trust in me, just like you do cousin. I pray that you see that once you see the truth.”

Lord Grimaldus said, “I had heard you went native, from the knights. The Inquisitors went further saying you had been corrupted by demonic will. What proof do you have?”

Sir Resugent raised up the holoprojector and the Kas A.I. flickered to life before them.

“Lord Grimaldus, greetings. I am a class A, legally admissible artificial intelligence. My testimony is considered the same as a verifiable video and sound recording device.”

Sir Resugent said to the A.I., “Please provide Lord Grimaldus the full information you have on the church’s origins.”

The Kas A.I. began the sordid tale of deception, manipulation and betrayal that was the unholy alliance between Commissar Enric Von Glomhammer and the Cardinal Bray who started the Church of One. How they poisoned the cloning tubes of Colony General Glypson, sold out the fleeing Earther authority to the Iron Republic, and illegally claimed rule of the Earther Colonies on Refuge. And finally how they spread a faith that demonized Leyas raditation and the native and Alien species trying to help the rebels and freedom fighters overthrow the tyrant’s government.

Lord Grimaldus sat heavily on the bed when the A.I. finished.

“The rest of the colonies shook off the yoke of this original oppression centuries ago,” murmered Lord Grimaldus to no one in particular, “I read of the Glomhammer tyranny and even his more recent declaration as a heretic. Now I can see it from an entirely different historic context. And Cardinal Bray…Cardinal Bray… and the original Church of One patriarchs were all power hungry hypocrites.
It does explain much about how and why the Inquisition has done what it has done in this region.”

There was the sound of slow clapping from the rear of the room.

“Nicely done Lord Grimaldus, a heresy and a blasphemy all in one paragraph. Definitely enough recorded to have you executed and all your lands siezed,” said Inquisitor Lord Siedermann as he stepped from the shadows. His robotic eye focused in and out on the pair as he recorded them.

“I thought you were missing in action, presumed taken by the dead,” said Lord Grimaldus, “Not exactly a reliable source.”

“Enough to turn the Inquisition on you,” said the old Sidermann with a gleeful smile.

Sir Resugent drew his sword, “Let me kill this hypocrite My Lord.”

“Hold your blade,cousin” said Lord Grimaldus, “Siedermann, if you planned on releasing this to the Inquisition you would not have advised us of your presence. You would have left and simply delivered it to them. Which means you want something. I am not new to politics, Sidermann, and the Nobles of Dunesphere are far better at this game than you.”

“Touche, Lord Grimaldus,” said Siedermann, “I am glad we are at least playing the same game. We both know the truth about the company. I need your assistance in cleaning out some of the more…dedicated Inquisitors here in the south. They will sell you out and sell me out. I know you have visited the Fortress Isias. I need Fortress Isias to be manned by Knights loyal to you, and the Inquisitors loyal to me. Right now their loyalty is to the High Inquisitors of Dunesphere.”

“I will not wage war on my own people,” said Lord Grimaldus sternly.

“Nothing of the sort,” said Siedermann, “But your cousin here has the ear of some of the local tribes who could wage war on the Fortress Isias, then you simply reinforce it with hand picked men who know the truth and will hold the fortress for you…and leave me to my business down here in the Goblin Lands.”

“And what would I gain, other than knowing your sword was always at my throat?” asked Lord Grimaldus walking over to the window and looking outside at the army surrounding his site.

“I would divert the Inquisition from your operations here in the south, as well as mine.
I will even get your cousin here an official sanction for his mission to the south.
He was after all on my orders…wasn’t he?” asked Sidermann.

“And that would mean an end to the Inquisitors hunting him, and his vassals?” asked Lord Grimaldus.

“Exactly,” said Sidermann.

“My Lord we cannot…” said Sir Resugent only to be interrupted by Lord Grimaldus.

“Quiet cousin…"

Silence seemed to stretch on forever.

"Agreed, Siedermann,” said Lord Grimaldus.

Sir Resugent left the bedroom not sure how this could all play out for the best.

Lalder was standing over the Red Bishop firing blast after blast with his magi cannon into the dead immutable’s skull.

From the other corridor ran Windsor, “You guys will not believe it, the Captain got some command from above and left me alone in a room. I picked the lock. What happened with Lord Grimaldus.”

“I spoke to him,” said Resugent, “He said to return to the Tower. He would send word once he was ready.”

“Ready?” asked Zhgog’ol, “Ready for what?”

“War against the Inquisition.”

Rewards:

Lord Grimaldus gains A Dangerous Alliance. Lord Grimaldus knows the truth about the Inquisition, but also has significant blackmail held on him by Inquisitor Siedermann. He must now decide if he will go ahead with the planned battle at Fortress Isais for week 15 or he will betray Siedermann risking Inquisition scrutiny.
Lord Grimaldus may now deploy an army of 100 elite Paladin Veterans (F.S. 7) who are devoted to him and know the truth of the church of One. They count as Conscious Leyas users with Healing 2, Light 2 and Fire 2. These 100 count as part of Lord Grimaldus’ original numbers.

Lalder and Yagogi’al gain An Inside Look at Lord Grimaldus’ manor. Both tribes know have full tactical details about the inside of the manor of Lord Grimaldus for future missions.
Each also gain one 1d8+4 Melee dmg, x2 dmg to Nightmares, Vampyrs, Undead and Bandits
Blessed Sword. Blessed Sword also casts Heal Internal at 3 successes and Conversion at 3 successes.

Black Lorne and Derlur the Nomad each gain an elite Chimera Claw Halberd – 2d6 No A.R. Melee dmg, Lowers V.A.R. By 6 pts. Requires two hands to use, cannot be concealed.