Goblin Lands Diplomatic Mission Week 13: The First Labor of OtO - Tolerance

All tribes in the Goblin Lands except the Goblin Gunners are without Immutables. While there are many free agent Immutable Olgogs in Unen, most of them escaped or fled the Olgog tribes in the feral north or feral south.
The sad truth is that in many tribes immutable pups do not survive. There are so many unique reasons for this related to the social, cultural and environmental factors of each individual tribes.

When OtO was growing up his tribe didn’t know that the Leyas would not heal the young pup. As a result he was maimed and badly injured in what were consider normal tribal punishments.

Now each tribal leader must declare why is it they don’t have any immutables (because your tribes don’t). Do they exile the children invisible in the Leyas? Are they killed at Birth? Are they traded away to the Gunner gangs? Are they sold into slavery in the deserts? Do they not survive due to lack of medical care? Does the tribe rely on sustain to survive the worst weeks of the hot dry seasons leaving Immutable pups dead of dehydration or starvation?

Its time to explain some of the more difficult parts of your tribal life.

For OtO this mission is to explain from a compassionate point of view, what it is like to be harmed physically and emotionally. And how his immutable nature set him apart and alienated him. And how this slowed his ability to learn empathy towards others feelings and moods.

This takes place in Karov

IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO TAKE PART IN THIS MISSION, it is assumed in Lore that your tribe leaves immutable children out to die from exposure. A horrific and painful death.

Challenges:

1- Who do you send in?

2- What is the reason Immutables aren’t in your tribe?

3- What is your tribe’s view of the solution in the future for Olgog immutables?

Mission Rules
First player to post gets a repost when all other players have finished posting to the mission in response to all other actions.
All other players may only make 1 posting.
Other players may only act as if they have seen the action of the first player who posts.
All other actions are compressed together by the DR team with a focus on storyline, so do not worry about paradoxes between different action posts.
Not every aspect of every action will be shown. This is especially true of actions that exceed two paragraphs.

Open to all tribes but no non-olgog characters
Lord grimaldus cannot post to this mission.

This mission ends on Friday 13th September at 8.PM. E.S.T.

Auf Lalyan appeared before the group. She says “I am Auf Lalyan of the Herd of Auf Lal’ al. Immutables do not have it easy in our tribes at Tla’loc’al. We use Leyas as part of our life, almost without thinking. We keep warm by it, we get water from it, we work with it, and we use it for our healing.

We do not have the understanding of Healing and living without Leyas. So we arrange for our immutables to goto Unen. Once they are of an age where a tribe will take them. But that is a problem. Getting them to that age. They often don’t make it that far.

Conditions for us Olgogs are not good even with Leyas. Caves are cold and wet. Battles happen, Wounds happen, Disease happens. For non-immutables, we cure disease. For Non immutables, we can heal them. For the immutables, we have to let the disease take its course. We can bandage the wound. Helping with the non leyas healing we know. But we can’t use tech, or the nano bots to help. We take care of the cold, but the more serious disease or wound, we can’t do much for.

If a cave collapses, one with Air Leyas will create the air to breath. The immutable most likely dies unless we get there quickly.

There are countless other issues to deal with, that through Leyas we make up for the bad conditions. And we do not have the tech or the knowledge to solve the issue like we would with a non immutable.

Lastly, with a non immutable, if they are killed, we bring them back. This is far out of our ability for an immutable.

For a solution, I think having immutables with the tech needed to heal and teach the immutables. Someone who can take care of the sick Immutables. Heal the wounds outside of our skill. A place for the immutables to belong. Maybe not in each tribe, but definitely in each area. We could try to do this in each tribe, but I fear there are not that many Olgog immutables to have enough older immutables to take in the children immutables.

We could also try to trade for nanites and let the immutables deal with their wounds. The Non immutables can’t use the tech, but the immutables can.

To finish up, in prior times, we were barely surviving. Any disadvantage made living harder. But now with the tribes uniting, farms growing food, and trade is extending outside of the Olgogs. We can do better. And we should do better. We have more options."

An olgog walked before Olgog the Olgog, a grim smile on his face. His face would once have been considered handsome by some standards, but was horribly mutilated by a branding on his face, a series of rays coming from a third eye burned on his forehead. He turned and looked at the group, and then addressed them.

“I, am Ka’zak, of the flame-blessed tribe of Ka’Rhug. I have been assigned to speak to you of the traditions of our tribe, at least those which pertain to immutable children and leyas.”

He took a moment, as if choosing his words, then continued.

“Life is hard in our tribe. We live in a hell blasted landscape, inside a volcanic mountain whose very air is poison to breath. Some caverns plummet hundreds of feet to boiling magma, others flood with water, and still more are so vast and dark, none return that enter. Our leyas is what protects us in these conditions, makes the air safe, the heat bearable, show the safe way home. Without it, a gog would swiftly succumb to the conditions.”

“You wish to know what exactly happens to those of us who are born without the leyas. It is a curse to be born so. We believe that our god, Kalok, gave us knowledge of fire leyas so we might survive the hard conditions in our stony domain. Without this blessing, it is as though Kalok himself has abandoned you to die. However, we eventually realized that immutables were actually a great gift.”

He smiled thinly, but was racked with a fit of coughing, and resumed talking.

“We realized…we realized that they are a great gift, these immutable children. Although they cannot use the leyas, and are poor at life in a volcano, they served another purpose. You see, Kalok demands sacrifice, and we could not spare our healthy gogs for this purpose. We give them to Kalok, to the volcano, when these children are born. Their bodies are consumed by the fire that they may be reborn in Kalok’s warm embrace. This way they are not burdened with the pain of living without his blessing, and in return, we believe our sacrifices make our fire leyas stronger for it.”

He looked almost apologetic as he concluded with simply,

“I’m afraid there is simply no way they would have a place in the world we live in. We have not the luxury nor the supplies to keep them alive, and in death they reach a better place we all seek to be. Surely you see we give them peace rather than a painful existance?”

Shirley, acting as primary diplomat to the United Tribes of Der’al (or Refuge, as the rest of the tribes are now referring to themselves in the Earther manner), was sent on this diplomatic mission. Shirley and Vektor both raised their eyebrows at this, considering the importance of the matter. However, Urog patted Vektor on the shoulder, “Vektor, you deserve a break from your travels. Besides, Shirley needs more practice.” He motions over Hikiti, “Hikiti, go with Shirley.” Vektor looked as if he were going to argue, but chose against it. He was too tired to care. Hikiti shrugged, taking a few tribals with them as honor guard.

Shirley, with Hikiti in tow, entered the gathering space in Karov to discuss the matter of Immutables.

Shirley began by laughing awkardly, and very loudly, without formality. “Well … erm… ummmm… Immutables weren’t always disposed of in Brez. Warm bodies were warm bodies, ya know. We Brezans need 'em to fight off other gangs. So when we raise our young, we pit them against each other. E’ry day they fight. Bloody’em good, we say. The strong ones become our Ur Rhug… the weaker ones…” She motions to the non-Brezans in the rooms, “become our bottom feeders.” Hikiti winced as Shirley called all the other olgog assembled “weak.”

“When da oth’r gangs come to take over our terr’tory, everyone fights, toof 'n nail, to beat them back. It 'appens all da time.” Hikiti nodded, remembering the fights of his early youth… such as the one that killed his brother. “Sometimes, we can heal the dead and the wounded. Most of the time, they jus’ die. Af’er e’ry battle, the losers join the winners. An’ tha’s it. The only time that changes is when we raid for food 'n stuff.” Shirley let out an uncomfortable chuckle. “So we fight, we steal, n’ then we fight again.” Hikiti interjected, “In other words, it’s a cycle. A ritualized cycle where the strongest rule the strong who rule the weak. We breed and protect strength, we disregard the weak.” Hikiti nodded for Shirley to continue.

“Well… so Immutables… they don’ 'ave no special gifts. We need tor’or to escape our enemies. We need ka’or to fight them. We use the Leyas to defend, attack, and heal. We ain’t got no special weapons or talents for 'em ‘mutables. So dey lose. A lot. Lot lot. Ain’t no time in Brez to make ‘em stronger. They usually die in their firs’ fight. So years ago, many gangs stopped breedin’ ‘em. For dose dat don’ know, when Brezans make agreements with other tribes, we trade our weakest tribal to seal the deal. So the first ones traded are Immutables. When we realized that Unen tribes like 'em, we always made deals with dem first. Too weak to keep, get the best deals with dem. Some gangs can’t even bother, so they get left to die. Not worth finding tla for someone who useless, ya know?” Hikiti interjected again, concerned with where Shirley was going, “In other words, every gang member is needed to protect the gang. When a gang member is considered too weak, the gang tries to get rid of them and benefit the gang. Lesser gang members are always used for trade agreements. Some gangs, in the past, raised Immutables knowing they’d be traded away to rival gangs or the the Unenese. However, many gangs that can’t even gather enough water for their stronger members, so they can’t bother to raise those considered too weak to fend for themselves. Immutables aren’t the only ones… they’re just the ones always picked. Other gangs have a chance to take the weak … but nobody takes in an Immutable unless they know they have a trade with the Unenese. The weak, and considered weak, are always left to die in Brez. Just the way of things…”

Shirley smiles awkwardly, “Yes, Hikiti is right. Too many gangs in Brez to know what everyone does, but our gang, before Urog, used to trade ‘em to slavers. He was a jerk, an’ nobody shed a tear when the Great and Mighty Goblin King Urog took his place. Only one baby born to us since then… Urog made a deal with Unen pirates to get us tla. Bum deal, tho’, tla wa’n’t drinkable. I’s ok, tho. Better for pup, better for gang. But we see many pup abandoned … and we don’ do nothing, Immutable or not. Barely had enough for our own… kept our numbers small, ya know? On’y since Great Northern Army do we 'ave enough to feed our own…” Hikiti made ready to interject and complete Shirley’s thought, but Shirley glared at him, as if to say, don’t you dare. Hikiti nodded at the elder. He may be smarter, but she would pound him into a puddle of bone and flesh if she wanted to.

She continued, “and Urog wants change. He don’ like some Brezan ways. Ain’t no compassion in letting the weak die. No matter 'mutable or not. Earthers know what to do with 'mutables. Simonsburg’s got some. Now that we got Earther train, we be thinking to send 'em to Simonsburg to live… to learn among Earthers and other olgog. More chances for 'em therr. And when dey big enough, they they can join Unen tribe … not as trade. Their choice. But those be Urog’s grand ideas. Not many other gangs agree, but we can on’y speak for Urog.”

Hikiti smiled at Shirley. She slapped him on the shoulder and smiled, knocking him down to one knee in the process. He grimaced back, knowing it was not intended as a lesson, but good-heartedly. Shirley’s affection hurt sometimes…

She finished, “… And… well… tha’s all I got to say about 'dat!”

“It should be pretty obvious what my tribe does with immutables.” Dreg said as he stood to speak. “I’m not here to tell you the obvious. I bring an offer from my boss. We are always on the look out for new blood especially immutables. So if you find yourself having any you don’t want just keep in mind that the Outcasts are happy to take them in. We’re even willing to trade for them. We can offer water or you can hire us for jobs and pay us with them.” A look of distaste crossed his face at that. “I know that sounds like slavery but you should know that we won’t force them to fight and when they mature they’ll be free to go if they want. Just something to keep in mind.”

A long lanky olgog, dressed as if he just came in from a hunt. He waits for his turn to speak; “GulTor’uf is a newer tribe, created by a gog that grew up in Brez. I would expect an immutable gog would be raised the same as Brez, although we haven’t had any immutables. The only one with direct experience is Uhryu Bill, and we all know how that turned out”

Yagogi’al the Og’ab thought this was an tun’dra (important matter), one that respected his own voice to speak for the tribe’s way of doing things. He began "Immutables have not been a common occurrence in my tribe, or even in my lifetime. Before I had become established, the way it was handled was for pup and parents to partake as one. As I have said before, nomadic life is especially tough for the newborns and even on the parents. I grew up learning that if the cub could not use the leyas to survive, the parents could not and then group would to their best to survive. As such while growing up I did encounter entire families that did not survive this, but these were the old ways and I looked for a better solution when I myself became a gor’ab chieftain.

My way is looking towards the best interests of the pup. The parents have had the help of the tribe doing everything to keep the pup with food, with milk, with water, with warmth or cool, happy and healthy. Extra resources are allotted to these families in need. there is only so long that the tribe can maintain this effort, so the family brings the pups to those that can manage this lifestyle. We have one of the trusted mak’abs, either matronly Yalar Took or caretaker Mak Uf’ab accompany the parents with pup on a pilgrimage to the City of the Gods. There, in the colonies is a church run but the Olgogs who worship the Thunder Gods. The Church knows of the hardship of the immutable olgog and can nurture in a way the tribe cannot. The tribe gives what we can to support the church and provides for these pups. The pup is left with zela tinkets with the marks of their parents, so that one day they can reunite. This is the only reason for a forfeit of any of our precious zela. We wish for the best outcome for the pup regardless of the pain that this has caused for the parents. Exile is not a perfect solution, but with contact between the Church and my mak’abs I can ensure the survival of these cubs. In my time as leader, there have only been two pups born to the tribe that could not harness the leyas."

Surgeon Lok’or stood up. Glancing around the group, he started by saying “Well, I heard that there was a conference on what to do about Immutables born into the individual tribes. I am here to say that my organization really doesn’t have that problem. Due to our nature, no one ‘born’ into our group is immutable. Having said that, some of our more recent members are immutable. We do not discriminate against them. We realize that they have an important place in our society, for they are the only Breathers that can use the technology and devices of the earthers without fear of causing problems to occur. In fact, we recently have two Immutable from unen join our group, They have been given good jobs and a place of respect in Drewsport. If any of you have children that are Leyas dark and can not care for them, send them to Drewsport and we will take care of them. they will be raised by the civilians to have a place in our system.”

half of you sound like whiny little earthers, as the phrase goes. “Its hard to raise an immutable”, its also hard to raise any young animal or sentient being. Hell, the only positive things about immutables told to me today are from other immutables and the dead.

looking at Auf Lalyan You said that if a cave collapse, your tribes adepts will use air leyas to create air to breath. But the immutables would die because they can’t create air. If your adept were any good, they would just purify the air so that the immutable can breath. Even with a limited understanding of immutables, you should know that.
You can’t heal immutables? I highly doubt that, I overheard bits and pieces from the tent next door, where one of your tribe members mentioned teaching me medicinal skills. You have the skills to keep an immutable in good health, based on this, you just choose not to employ them.

looking at Ka’zak You kill your immutable young? Aren’t your young a blessing from your god Kalok? Shouldn’t you feel lucky for Kalok not smiting you for destroying his gift of children to you? In every lore,gods don’t give out trials that can’t be overcome to people, what you are doing is taking the easy way out. Everything you described is an external condition inside your cave system. You can make artifacts to purify the air and control the temperature, and these would affect the surrounding areas and allow the immutable to survive.

looking at Shirley You live in a society where might makes right, and think immutables have no place in your world? Isn’t Urog the coward your leader? The one I walked up to put my hand through his chest and crushed his heart? Then, after feeling the need to contest me, cowardly broke the rules and used outside gogs to fight me? When your leader fears me enough to cheat during a fight, don’t you think it may be time to reconsider your opinions about immutables. The tribal system you belong to is most likely not to know how to manually heal, but you are close to unen, so you could just barter for nanite syringes, there is an abundance of trade for them, if you know where to look. You can learn basic healing from pretty much any of the tribes here, if you don’t know how to already.

The rest of you, either have good ways of “dealing” with immutables, as the chosen vernacular states, or at least acknowledge your deficiencies.

gesturing towards everyone [minus unit 817 and urik’s outcasts] You ask me to show tolerance, when you show none to immutables. Your chosen vernacular, deal with, not special, and other words indicate that you think lessor of these gogs, instead of them being different. How can you start to help people when you immediately consider them your lessors? Look at Lok’ors words, he is inclusive when he speaks, saying things like “some of our recent members” and “we will raise them”. These words are inclusive, and doesn’t separate immutable vs leyas user.

You can’t fix the problem with immutables, there isn’t a problem with them. An immutables life is different, not more difficult or less. Until you start to think an immutable is another gog, you will have “problems” with them.

hell, this can be summed up as “Unless you act more like the dead” gesturing towards Lok’or “You will always have problems with the immutables”