Goblin Lands 2 Intermission 2 Event: The Dragonyards of Unen

Lok’reshad was happy. His request for approval to raid the Blackscale Ganger base had finally been granted. He realized that the Captains had more important things on their minds, what with preparing for the flamewinds and the threat of the lands falling to a New Demonlord, Kalok. He had been asking for weeks to be allowed to take out this threat in the backyard before it could grow. Now, with the shelters prepared for the flamewinds and most everyone in the region moving to take care of the Demon, he had been told to solve the problem.

He decide that the easiest way was a raid to disrupt their camp and steal the artifact to slow the growth. He was told the he could take a small force to attack the base, So now he set off to the barracks to find some troopers to aid him.

It only took a few minutes for Lok’reshad to convince eight of the Dead Troopers and two of the former conscripts to join his posse. They might be able to drive out the Black Scale gangers through force of arms alone, and Lok’reshad was happy to go on his way.

As he passed by the outer stockade walls around Drewsport, he saw an elderly looking man standing by the welcome sign. He recognized him instantly as L’gani, high steward of the Redeemer. His erstwhile “uncle” and adoptive father figure. Out of respect alone, Lok’reshad stopped his troope, and greeted his uncle. L’gani offered a bag to the younger K’ias and said.

“Here is bread, and Mak hoblok cheese for your journey,” said the older K’ias, “Eat some, and save the rest to break bread with those you meet.”

“I really don’t plan on meeting anyone,” replied the young K’ias, “Its a sneak in, sneak out sort of plan.”

“Then my dear young friend, you are missing out on your most effective weapon against your enemies…the people you will one day call allies,” countered L’gani, as he offered the younger k’ias a bottle of finest binber wine, “The lessons of the K’ias wars, Lok’reshad were that we cannot stand alone and in judgement of others, no matter how different or how flawed we percieve them. Our kind were the guardians of light and justice in a golden age that spanned over one thousands years of peace and prosperity across the entire known universe. When we thought ourselves so perfect and infallible as to stand alone, we quickly grew insular and argumentative with other less refined species.
I have sent out invitations in your name, through trusted merchants, to some of the finest mercenaries known to work south of the colonial borders. They will meet you at a tavern I have selected on the road to the encampment.”

“This was my mission L’gani,” said the young K’ias growing bolder now that he had a taste for the shoes of a raider captain, “I have it planned out perfectly. If I allow others to get involved…they will disrupt my plans, destroy my works, and turn an easy victory into an epic failure.”

“Oh Lok’reshad, you have grown like a son to me, and to Commander Tomog’ru,” said L’gani, “You are dear in my heart, and I often feel great pride when Captain Torlok’ab reports your exploits in battle and in diplomacy.
But despite your own perfections, I ask you again to stop at this tavern, and speak with these soldiers of fortune. Once you have met them, you may choose to tell them what you wish.”

Lok’reshad bowed respectfully, saying, “I will go to them, and I will test their measure. But I will not tell them of the artifact, or how the Black Scale Gangers have controlled the dragons.”

The face of an old man smiled as L’gani rejoiced, “Thank you Lok’reshad. May Falos protect you.”

Part 1: The Tavern of Grimy Prospects

Lok’reshad entered the inn, a wooden building of the earther log-cabin design. It had been harvested from nearby forests that once lined these coasts. Lok’reshad’s sight could make out the flows of Leyas around the old old inn. Earth Leyas had been tied to the beams, keeping the wood alive enough to withstand the centuries.

He motioned for his dead soldiers to take up positions around the tavern in a defensive position. The two former conscripts followed Lok’reshad and immediately made their way to the bar. They paid in ghaz coin, and came back with a large tray filled with mugs of Unenese seaweed Ale.

Lok’reshad watched his subordinates pass them out to the combination of Earthers and Olgogs that sat around the large table in the rear of the tavern. There was a red fur dressed in fine silks, an earther with a mean smile, an Olgog gunslinger and the infamous thief of the Teardrop Hammer, Glog of Or’lur.

The potent brew went down with a bitter after taste, but Lok’reshad bit it back and spoke proudly to these strange travelers, introducing himself and explaining the mission.

“Lok’reshad, I am Yirhug of the Order of the Bladed Sun,” said the redfur dressed like an Earther dandy, with an innocent smile, “I have heard that you want to clean up the Black Scale Gang.
I would like to help.”

They would recognize the young redfur from Drewsport where he worked hard to help the masses.

Lok’reshad thanked him.

Lurtor leaned in from the Shadows. saying “As you know, but for the benefit of others, I’m Lurtor. I have many reasons to help cleanup this gang. One of which they attack my tribe.”

Lurtor was not yet completely comfortable naming his alligences, so he left off the Order of the Bladed Sun as well as VLAD. But most knew that by now anyways.

Lok’reshad knew of Lurtors affiliations, but his own Unit 817 worked closely with the EEF and VLAD on previous missions so this was no concern to him.

Lurtor continued "So how do we want to do this? I’m not a complete fan of the come in Guns blazing, but it could work in this case. But I do prefer the sneak attack and quietly take out who we can before the alarm is raised and then let loose with the fire power of the undead.

I will have some stun sticks, and Capture Magi Pistols to use when I need to take something alive. Once our cover is blown, I can fill the sky with some lightning to cause a distraction for those flying dragons we see. Not sure it will take them out, but it will give them something else to pay attention to while someone shoots them down.

I can take out or disable one of their guards from a patrol and take his place. I will let you know who through a comm crystal. I can’t read his mind, but I should be able to get in their way. And to start quietly dealing with the gang members or get any information they might have.

WHen/if this goes bust, we can return to the create distractions and have the big guns take down the dragons.

What do you think?"

Lok’reshad looked over those who had come to aid in this mission. "Thank you all for coming. I feel that we need to make sure that these criminals know that they can not run wild here in these lands. most of the dragons have not chosen to be enslaved by these villains.

If we can free them in a way that they will not threaten the surrounding villages and towns, then I would prefer that. If any of you can disable them safely, that would be best. The Gangers, I care little if they are allowed to escape. In fact, It may be best if some of them escaped to bring the tale to others that would try and use our lands for their own evil purposes."

Lorne knew it was playing with fire to take a job that people who knew his face would also take an interest in, but sometimes he couldn’t help himself.

He strode in just as Lok’reshad finished, and glanced over the group once, his hand resting casually on the pommel of his sword. He’d already made himself unrecognizable with a simple shadow shroud, but just in case, he only held eye contact with the Lok’reshad and nodded once, and then said,

“As long as you’re paying, I’ll give them something to harp about.”

He then headed for the back of the group, his entrance was made even less subtle by the clink of platemail with each step, and his heavy cloak smacking the shorter members of the group as he passed.

Lurtor says “The Juvi dragons we could try and knock out. Their adult bodies might be an issue. But the fully growned and trained dragons, I do not think we could do that.”

Lurtor hands Lok’reshad a comm crystal.

Then says "If possible, I might try to impersonate one of the gangers, and if I am able to I’ll use the comm crystal to relay to you who not to shoot. But If successful I might be able to checkout the inside and find usable intel or useful items. Also I might be able to get close to the juvi dragons to try and knock them out following your wishes.

I’ll try a sneak approach if I can’t find a Gang member to get in."

Lok’reshad looked at Lurtor and replied “I have the ability to imitate one of the gangers and some of their equipment. I should be able to infiltrate the base without raising the alarm. Once inside I should be able to disable their defenses or at least disrupt them.”

“My tribe has a place for the dragons where they may learn from an elder while not causing as much damage.” Glog said as he practiced his archery stance. In his hands he held a fine bow made from Dragon bone and hide. No arrow was knocked, but his stance was perfect.
Yirhug nodded, "I can confuse the adult dragons without causing permament harm.I will take up position on the hill.

from there my artifacings will distract and disorient.

Just please don’t hit me with friendly fire."

An old looking gog, with fur white in places, stood smoking a pipe. He watched as everyone came together and quickly declared their help for this task, with only one gog saying anything about a reason for doing so.

He waited, and then asked “why are we attacking these gogs? What have they done that is heinous enough to rule a direct attack?”

Glog looked at the old gog and said “I know not why the others fight, but I am bound by honor and oath to fight these gogs who enslave the Darmag pups. I can not stand and watch as they force others to serve them. Not only would my tribe cast me out, but the Darmag who I killed would kill me in turn.”

Part 2: At the Beach

A front was approaching from the south west. The winds were blowing with enough force to rattle the trees. Darmag’ol Oranghi of the Black Scale Gang stood before the waves and bellowed his rage. Over and over again, he was heard. Over the sound of the waves, over the sound of the lightning. Darmag’ol Oranghi was like a force of nature.

Finally the first part of the storm passed and they were in the calmness of the eye.

He pet one of the nearby Poisonbringers. The greenscaled dragon was iridescent and cooed as it nestled its smaller juvenile head in his hand. Its bite was a slow death by necrophagic toxin, a mortal wound without treatment. But Darmag’ol Oranghi had worked with enough of these beasts to know their signals before an attack. They were equally intelligent to an Earther and twice as cunning. They also needed guidance at a young age.

These juveniles still feared the storms.

Darmag’ol Oranghi finished his soothing and headed back to the barracks.

He passed by Olimah the sentry, and offered a few words of encouragement. Olimah stuttered, “Boss Darmag’ol, I’m kinda worried. My boys in Unen tell me somebody from Drewsport is looking for mercs with a score to settle with the Black Scale Gang.”

“Every day in Kelvara there are at least twelve other gangs plotting our demise,” said the Darmag’ol, “Get used to it Olimah. Its a hazard of the job. Nobody loves the Black Scale Gang, Nobody respects the Black Scale Gang, but everybody FEARS the Black Scale Gang. There are camps like this up and down the coastline. We got what we need to keep the Kelvaran swamps full of breeding populations of Poisonbringer dragons no matter what house Oberon and his Master of the Swamp do…”

Darmag’ol walked onward not noticing the Earther who stepped from the shadows behind Olimah the sentry and grabbed him into a tight embrace. A forearm closed off the sentry’s windpipe depriving him of oxygen. It took a full four minutes of struggling and fighting for the sentry to finally go slack in the Earther assailant’s embrace.

Ornel Lashar revealed himself only long enough to signal the coast was clear. And two faux Black Scale gangers entered the camp on the side that Ornell had been watching. One was Lok’reshad, and the other was Lurtor. They made a direct walk for Darmag’ol’s office tent at one side of the barraks.

When they entered they found the tent empty of people. A few tables were set up with Lurtor began siezing documents incriminating House Thalia in this venture in the Goblin Lands, including Land Deeds for House Thalia owning the property and buying it from the previous landholders in the Church of One.

As dubious a pedigree for land as one might find in the Goblin Lands, it would hold weight as far as Colonial courts might be concerned.

Lok’reshad saw something of even more importance in a glass case on one of the tables.

It was a jaw of silvery metal teeth with black carapace-like bone. He felt the urge to affix it to his face, and yet a voice inside him told him to wait until he was ready. It took all his restraint to place it into his pack.

Behind them the tentflap opened, and in walked Darmag’ol Orunghi. Lok’reshad grabbed him by the arm, pulling him close, while flooding the Olgog’s bloodstream with toxic, toxic poisons. The Darmag’ol began to choke and fall, gripping at his closing throat.

Lurtor’s pistols came up and stunned the base commander with a volley of shots. Unluckily the sounds also alerted the guards outside who came running. Leaving the guards to find a poisoned but not yet a dead Darmag’ol to care for while they slipped out the back.

Moving towards the beach, Lok’reshad slipped a hidden claw out. His shapeshifted hand made short work of the wood of the sentry towers. Moments after he walked by the towers, each fell downward, forcefully upon the barracks buildings. They caved in the simple roof, and smashed through to the gangers inside. Yells and screams of the wounded gangers let Lok’reshad know they wouldn’t be sleeping easily for the next few months.

A few of Lurtor’s sonic grenades disabled those few veterans who were able to run from the collapsing building.

The pair made their way swiftly to the beach. Glog, and Ornel Lashar had begun herding the juvenile dragons along the shore away from the Black Scale Gang lands. They were in the middle of the surf, barely standing against the harsh waves as the storm rose up again. Rain lashed their faces, and each wave threatened to pull their feet out from under them.

Lurtor took up position at the rear of the flock of dragons. He looked up to see a trio of adult dragons with their riders, above them in an attack formation. Before he could act, he watched as one of the dragons veered into the sea as if dizzy, while the other two were shot at by magi cannons from across the dunes further inland. Knowing the greater threat, the dragons dived and swerved up and away from the cutting beams. They corkscrewed through the air, to escape from the concentrated magi cannon fire. One of the dragons was shot down and his rider rolled under his bulk. There were a few muffled screams and finally the rider died of suffocation.

Lok’reshad watched his dead soldiers do expert work of countering the Black Scale Ganger’s aerial support.

Under the cover of Poisonbringer wranglers, Lok’reshad and his crew had successfully infiltraited and escaped from the Dragonyards. Lok’reshad had recovered the Jaw of Vul from the Black Scale Gang, and his allies had rescued some dragons.

Rewards

All characters involved in this mission gain 1 set of Poisonbringer Scales for use in armorsmithing (either barding for 1 riding beast, or one set of armor), one Poisonbringer barb spearhead (for spearmaking).

Unit 817 gains Lok’reshad gains the Jaw of Vul. If he or another K’ias melds with this jaw, they can cast: Annihilator’s Hunger: Ages 1 Non-player target by 10 years per points of will of the user (will 3 = 30 years. Every 100 years of stolen lifetimes gives the user 1000 years of extended life (can be used by Vampyr characters or Bandit characters to offset the hunger and activate cursed abilities. This lifeforce can also be driven into the bodies of Immutables, Undead and other “unhealable” targets and restore them to full H.P. For each 10 years of stolen life. Counts as restoration by a symbiotic life form.)
Lok’reshad also gains 1 Poisonbringer Juvenile Mount (maximum 1 attack per combat round when used as a mount. Use Standard Poisonbring stats but F.S. 3).
Jaw of Vul will imprint any K’ias causing it to cross breed as if it was breeding with Vul’s line during subequent gestations.

Black Lorne gains Ornel Lashar’s Poisonbringer Armor. A new bit of armor (see Black Scale Ganger armor in the DR Core book), is now expected for Ornel Lashar to wear as part of Black Lorne’s costume for him.
Black Lorne also gains 1 Poisonbringer Juvenile Mount (maximum 1 attack per combat round when used as a mount. Use Standard Poisonbring stats but F.S. 3) for Ornel Lashar.

Or’Lur gains 20 Poisonbringer Juvenile Airforce (maximum 2 attack per combat round. Use Standard Poisonbring stats but F.S. 3) for the Orlur Tribe
Glog also gains 1 Poisonbringer Juvenile Mount (maximum 1 attack per combat round when used as a mount. Use Standard Poisonbring stats but F.S. 3)

Lalder gains +1 Stealth skill and +1 Acting Skill for Lurtor.
Lurtor also gains 1 Poisonbringer Juvenile Mount (maximum 1 attack per combat round when used as a mount. Use Standard Poisonbring stats but F.S. 3)

The Ka Gor Tribe also gains +1 Stealth and +1 Profession Spy skill for Yirhug.
Yirhug also gains 1 Poisonbringer Juvenile Mount (maximum 1 attack per combat round when used as a mount. Use Standard Poisonbring stats but F.S. 3)