Goblin Lands 2 Finale Part 2: The Demon's Gate of Mt. Rhug

The Demon Gate of Mt. Rhug

Few knew the true story of the Demon Gate of Mt. Rhug.
All heard the legends from Tla’loc’al, of how the Ka Rhug tribe had once been beloved and honored among the great Tla’loc’alan Tribes. Of how during the Goblin Genocide, it was the soldiers of the Ka Rhug who pushed back Church of One assaults, one after another. Some even spoke of their great dishonor in the past, how during the Genocide in a desire to gain the upper hand in warfare from superior allies in the form of the Ur-King’s Tribes, the Ka Rhug made deals with the Krato. Under the guidance of the Chieftain Lurur, half of the Ka Rhug left the Mt. Rhug they called home for the Dimension of Do’krice, and the Land of the Krato. It was at the height of the Goblin Genocide, but not all of the Ka Rhug chose to accept the help from their old enemies.
Those that remained, served under the ancient Kalokgogs of Mt. Rhug, who considered the Cheiftain Lurur and the Ur-King Tribals under him to be betrayers of the old ways. Mt. Rhug and the tribes that lived there became more and more religious in their worship of the ancient volcano as the centuries passed. Aufgog Traditionalism and the worship of the Thunder Gods was replaced by more and more reliance on Mt. Rhug and Kalok who dwelt there.
In modern times, it was Kolgol of Ka Rhug, who rose to prominence as a leader in the Lur Union and in the United Tribes of Refuge, that began a wave of brutal religious purges. He was admired by the Kalokgogs of the Ka Rhug, and worshipped by the Black Legion of Kalok, so named for their ritual facial branding. The Black Legion of Kalok felt they had to atone for the dishonor of their bloodline by the Lurur Ur-King Tribals (who still called themselves Ka Rhug, and consider the Ka Rhug of Mt. Rhug to be the pretenders).
In the last few years, the Black Legion of Kalok has consolidated its control over both Mt. Rhug and the surrounding lands. Once full of thriving ferals who worshipped the Thunder Gods, the lands surrounding Mt. Rhug were systematically ethnically cleansed.
Those who chose to accept the branding of the Black Legion of Kalok, were painfully branded in front of their former friends and relatives. As their burnt faces pained them, the converts were also forced to watch as those who would not convert were burned alive. This systematic religiously motivated killing was never directly addressed by either the Lur Union nor the United Tribes of Refuge.
The Kalokian faith was allowed to continue its insidious descent into madness unchallenged.
Unknown to those who saw the confident proud warrior spirit when Kolgol stood before the UtR Council and the Lur Union, Kolgol was secretly partaking in ancient Kalokgog rituals, imbibing the smoke coming up from deep inside the volcano. The toxic gases and low oxygen levels caused him to experience deep trance-like states where he experienced Kalok of Mt. Rhug as a physical reality.
He focused his followers will and together they birthed a Kuliek of immense power. They fed this Kuliek sacrifice after sacrifice, filling the Leyas-created being with energy corrupted by the unjust nature of the sacrifices. It twisted the Kuliek enough for it to be the perfect egg for a demonic entity, and the Black Legion of Kalok preceded to find a nest for this demon egg.
They saw few options around them that held the right flows of Leyas to power such a final transformation. Brez was all choked up by the centuries of bloodshed to other beings and other lords, and by the rage of the Brezan peoples. It would not feed Kalok what he needed.
Zh’ka’al and its souls were already promised to the Quall Hivequeen Ar’yay.
The Ruins of Karov held Bill of the Green Pants as their champion, and the Shadow Dome he built there prevented Kalok from gaining enough Fire Leyas for the combustion necessary for his descent.
The place needed the right mix of friend and foe for it to be a true sacrifice.
And Simonsburg was chosen.
From the flesh, and the bone, and the wood, and the lives of Simonsburg, Kolgol birthed his Kalok into the world. While the prophet Kolgol was taken into EEF custody in the ensuing carnage, Kalok returned to Mt. Rhug and claimed the Ka Rhug tribal’s souls.
Only the Lurur Ka Rhug who had left so long ago to serve alongside the Krato survived these moments of transformation for the tribe.
With the force of an entire armory of stolen ancient weapons targeting it, Mt. Rhug was bombarded from this dimension. The growing power of Kalok formed a bubble around itself as it was jettisoned from our plane of existence. Mt. Rhug found itself torn from this dimension, forged and formed into a Hell Dimension unique to its volcanic master.
The link to Kolgol, first host of Kalok was not truly severed, and the Hell Dimension threatened to envelope all of Refuge. The Floating Armory, formed from Nightmare Lord flesh and uncounted power, locked down the site. Its own tendrills tried to stitch the hole closed in reality but failed to close it completely.
That was yesterday…

Today

Kharos reclined in his rocky throne, eying the temple that sprawled before him. His rule was absolute here, and he did not fear the strangers who had come to his domain. Even as Kharos relaxed in his seat, maleficent designs swirly through his mind, Aufgog Eru’Khaz began to doubt his sovereign lord.

He looked to Gor’mag for advice, who was now prostrate on the ground beseeching an unknown force for guidance, and sighed. He was troubled and was unsure of where his loyalties should be. Kolgol hadn’t been seen since the first assault, and now Kalok had assumed direct control of the army.

Eru’Khaz was now a general whose army had been hijacked. He also worried about the gogs that had descended to the lava pits, who had been gone for some time now. They were still ardent supporters of Kalok’s regime, and Eru’Khaz was unsure of exactly how far they would go to please him.

Still, the visions of his friends and tribals being cut down before him was too much for him to simply switch loyalties so readily. He looked sadly at the demonic being that Kharos had become, and wished he could have taken the burden on himself, but he was not so young as Kharos, nor as stout, so it was clear why Kalok had instead chosen him as a husk to wear.

Olav stood before them. Their previous conversations with the others had convinced him, he needed to get his men out from whatever Mt. Rhug had become.
“Kharos or Kalok, whomever is in control, while we do not wish to harm you, I am ready to negotiate terms for leaving this hellish dimension that you have created.”

Eru’khaz moved to the throne, standing next to it casually. For now he would support Kharos, unless the fight turned against him.

As Gor’mag lay prostrate, a twinkling of golden light shown in the corner of his eyes. His eyes raised to further follow the seemingly holy light in time to see down at the lower entrance. His eyes settled on Torlok’ab and the strange party who surrounded him. There was a Quall, some Mercs, a Knight and other even stranger tribals around them. The blessed dead was looking up at Kharos, but Gor’mag felt a strange calmness come over him.

Torlok’ab looked around at the hellish place he found himself and sighed. ‘So it has come to this,’ he thought.

Turning and facing the avatar of Kalok, he nodded. “Unlike most, I know that I can’t destroy you. Before I was given my freedom, I served in the armies of the Warmonger. I know that that best we can do in Der’al is to send you back here to this cage of yours. As you are here now, there is no point in fighting you. And there is no real point in trying to wipe out all of your followers. But I Must let you know that when I get out of here, I will continue to strive to weaken your influence and thwart the efforts of your followers. But don’t feel special about it, I would do the same for any Ancient Evil. But if I am held here, I will do my best to destroy your forces and send them deeper into the Hellrealms, making it harder for you to spread your influences.”

“Will you permit those mortals trapped here to leave?” he asked. “I am asking you to allow all non demons to leave this realm, both your followers and those that do not believe in you. Let them go and i will promise that I will not attempt to wipe your believers off the face of Der’al. But I will still do my best to hinder and stop the growth of your church same as i do the spread of the followers of Warmonger and the other ancients.”

" I would also ask that you stay here for at least a year, so that the situation in Der’al can settle without more bloodshed. Think of it as a challenge, this will give Der’al a chance to prepare for your arrival and also give your followers a chance to regroup after the destruction of your mountain in Der’al.

What say you?"

Outside the Demon Gate

Glog was the first through the gate, he landed deftly on the ground below the flickering image of Mt. Rhug. Behind him landing on hooves that cracked the stone ground was Ogurox Hivelord, with Makka’na the knight sitting on his massive shoulder.
Torlok’ab and Lurtor landed next, with neither’s guns wavering from the doorway behind them.
Urik’s Outcasts arrived next, quickly setting up a radio transmission back to alert their fellow mercs of their escape. Burke bopped out next, flying aboard his mekanoid, floating off, cursing the demons, and a demon clown.

The rest who had been trapped tumbled out of the flickering volcano one by one. Above them the Rhug’na’ru Cyclos 1 Zepplin appeared. It quickly gained altitude, its cargo hold full of gifts from Kalok before their last remaining ally left them.

As they ascended the crew of the Cyclos 1 saw a beautiful Earther woman, nude as the day she was born, riding the back of a nightmarish dragon. The pair flew down below them without even harassing the vessel to Olav’s relief. He watched as the woman and dragon flew closer to the flickering image of Mt. Rhug, and waved her hands.
As her hands finally touched, there was an astounding crackle as the extra energy was pushed into the Flying Armory allowing it to stitch closed reality. Mt. Rhug was sealed, except for a single tendrill of the dimension snaking inside the Flying Armor. All that was left of the volcano was a ghostly imprint on the horizon, and imprint that would never fade. And above it still hangs the Flying Armory, acting as the thread holding the dimensional tear closed for all time…

Or at least that is what Candy hoped, though she was sure a few stupid adventurers would eventually try and take the Flying Armory and let all the Kalokians out when they did so…

Below her, Makka’na watched the spectacle with wonder. When the rip faded away, Makka’na sat quietly on Ogurox HiveLord’s shoulder. Looking up at the ghostly afterimage of Mt. Rhug still emblazoned across the sky she spoke, her voice gaining in volume and intensity with each word,
“I can never forgive you for killing my family, my fellow Knights of Simonsburg. I am the last of my order, as I was the first of my order. Kalok, I will devote my days to hunting your demons, and making them suffer as my knights suffered. As your demonic fire consumed them, Kalok, I will find the most divine fire which will burn your damned legion. And once that divine fire is in my grasp I will return here and you will know the searing of the divine fire.”

:cool:Rewards:cool:

Or’Lur gains Glog gains a Hellforged Spear. 8 (Half A.R.) Melee dmg or thrown for 6 (Half A.R.) Missile dmg. Requires two hands.
This spear can wound all targets even those normally immune to Melee or Missile dmg. Of course it does have to exceed A.R. to do so. No special damage against vehicles.

Krodnok
gains Krodnok Loses Direct Control of the Flying Armory, it will still communicate with him but will not move from its current spot and cannot be made to move until Goblin Lands 3. Krodnok gains an additional 20 Hellforged Power Converters (and an additional 30 Hellforged Power Converters at beginning of GL 3).

Ka Gor gains Ogurox faces the Demon Lord. Ogurox HiveLord may now quest to find a new Hive Queen to capture and bend her hive to his will.
Makka’na gains Never Forget, she gains a +2 bonus to hit Kalokian Cultists and Balgogs (and Kalokian demons and other Kalokian Automatons), and +2 bonus to dodge Kalokian Cultists and Balgogs (and Kalokian demons and other Kalokian Automatons). Makka’na also learns Healing 4 and becomes and Adept.

Unit 817 gains Torlok’ab Knows the Scent of Kalok. He can now sense Kalokian Cultists, and gains a +2 bonus to Dodge attacks by the followers and demons of Kalok. His close combat attacks automatically Lower V.A.R. On Kalokian Balgogs, Imps and other Kalokian Automatons.

Lalder gains Lurtor gains a Hellforged Dagger. 5 (Half A.R.) Melee dmg, (2W)
This dagger can wound all targets even those normally immune to Melee dmg. Of course it does have to exceed A.R. to do so. No special damage against vehicles. Concealeble: This gives +4 T# to tests for others to spot it when hidden on the body (under Armor, Clothing etc). Obscure Leyas Artificing at 4 successes.

Rhug’na’ru gains 10 pairs of Hell Forged Thrusters. When added to a Rhug’na’ru Biplane these thrusters allow quicker turns, dives and barrel-rolls giving a +3 bonus to Initiative for Rhug’na’ru pilots for all air combat tests. These upgrades may be applied to 10 Biplanes.

Kolgol gains Full Control of his new Demonic Army, Demonhost Kharos and Kalok. May now build up the Hell Dimension of Mt. Rhug as a full demonic settlement. He also gains additional 25 Kalokian Balgogs (fell Balgogs)

Agent Candy
gains No reward for posting Late. And gains Sticking it to the rival demons.

Burke the Merc gains A very nice Hellforged Holdout (since when did the Kalokians use guns?) called
Kalok’s Spit 5 (Half A.R.) Energy dmg, (2W)
This tiny pistol can wound all targets even those normally immune to Energy dmg. Of course it does have to exceed A.R. to do so. Lowers V.A.R. and S.A.R. by 5 pts. The weapon has a bad habit of insulting Burke in the middle of combat in a voice like a gruff sailor.

Urik’s Outcasts gains a Hellforged Flamethrower 10 (Half A.R.) Energy dmg, requires 2 hands. Cone attack (+4 dodge T#)
This flamethrower can wound all targets even those normally immune to Energy dmg. Of course it does have to exceed A.R. to do so.
It can be used to stack attacks like the Leyas flamethrower in the Outlaws Guide.