DR2220 Mission 7 Report: The Consolidation of Boriel's Army

Prologue: Boriel’s dark dealings

Boriel I’tash was the heir to the Sylvan Lord I’tash who once ruled all of Refuge. Since the end of the Border Wars in 2218A.R. Boriel had been a Lord in Exile, ruling hundreds of PeaceLords and thousands of slaves at his living keep, Boriel’s Retreat.

Boriel’s Retreat was made from the same living crystal the Sylvan used to cultivate on their home dimension of Do’krice. The crystal was shaped in its initial growth stage into the beauitful crystailline rose that has lasted the test of time. The Retreat had originally been a secondary castle set up by Lord I’tash after the uprisings in the Kingdom of Kasanth in the year 999. But the centuries had been kind, and it had not known real war against external foes before.

Boriel was a baribur, but less cheerful than most. His sullen mood was only made worse when Slavemaster Malice entered his chambers with concerning news.

“The Grim and his army will not act to crush their enemies, my lord,” Slavemaster Malice said, “And his advisors continue to plot and plot about releasing all the slaves of the PeaceLords attacking them.”

Boriel sneezed, wiped his nose, and then said, “Grim has always wished to free all slaves. He was an Order of the Ice Pick member long before he joined my employ. But I had hoped to see him crush the other PeaceLords.”

“Crush them….but why….they have been loyal to you Boriel for two years since the capitol city of I’tash fell to the terrorists of Elijah Morte,” said Malice.

Boriel raised a hand. An earther slave, bound hand and foot in metal caps forcing them to crawl across the grouind, as they brought their lord the cask of binber wine strapped to their back. Boriel refilled his goblet from the cask and looked at Malice quizically for a few moments.

Then he said, “They are loyal to me yes. But the PeaceLords in question have given up their loyalty to my great Ancestor Lord I’tash. They advise to stay here, and isolate ourselves. To build for a few centuries until the EEF and their Northern Kingdom allies are distracted by other wars and other threats.

By then the Terorrists will have won. They will have convinced everyone to believe in their new order. To See Lord I’tash and his Sylvan as little more than servants of the state instead of the very reason the state exists.

Lord I’tash was tasked by the Sylvan Warleoch Council to keep the threat of the Warmonger at bay. When Warmonger fled the Prison dimension, the Warloech Council demanded Lord I’tash be punsihed. Yet look at the final result. The Warmonger was granted final death. His cult scattered again, and his armies for all intents and purposes disbanded.

In the end Lord I’tash’s course of action set into motion the final death of Warmonger. He should be lauded praised and given the retirement in style that he deserves. To spend his days ruling in peace.

Instead he is in irons, a kue’lo set to dance and prance for Elijah Morte’s enjoyment. That cannot be allowed to continue for hundreds of years. By that time Elijah Morte will be dead of old age, and his line will take the throne of I’tash.

And that is the crux of the problem. You see Lord I’tash had a rivalry that lasted millenia with a great and old enemy… ”

“I’m confused, by the old enemy, you surely mean the Warmonger?” asked Malice.

“No the Warmonger was a force, a power, but not a personal enemy of Lord I’tash. I would be surprised if the Warmonger even knew Lord I’tash was one of his jailors for the past aeons.

It was a slave of the Warmonger who freed himself that I truly worry about. The Krato General Tharr. A criminal and time traveler, who once lead Warmonger’s Krato Generals in the old wars. But for the past decade I have seen him acting as a free agent, going against the Warmonger cult…”

“Going against the Warmonger cult should make him and ally not an enemy my Lord. Im sorry I just don’t follow,” replied Malice.

“Tharr broke with the Warmonger Cult because he wanted to hurt my beloved Lord I’tash. He was one of the hidden backers and supporters of Elijah Morte’s uprising. Reports brought back from the Tarrisian front during the Border Wars, leads me to believe that General Tharr was involved in the transaction that sent the slave Elijah Morte from Tarris where he had been trained as a professional bodyguard, to a new PeaceLord working in the lands of Tal Hanon where he faced PeaceLord Harrow and began his rise to power.

And now Tharr succeeded, My Lord I’tash is a lord in chains…”

“But my lord with all due respect, there have been no reports of General Tharr since he was granted final death by Lord Roan and Yohai Horosha. Do you suspect he is still running around somewhere?”

Boriel said, “Tharr was a time traveler. He doesn’t need to be alive for his plans to be in motion…”

“So how do you beat a time traveler?” asked Malice.

“I get one of my own,” said Boriel, he lifted a commcrysal and said the words, “Mighty Holys, I thank you for your offer of aide during the civil war that plagues my lands. I accept your offer of aide and support in the coming months.”

Many many miles away, on the opposite end of the continent, Holys the Chronomancer held the commcrystal and listened to Boriel I’tash with a sense of glee and anticipation.

Into the commcyrstal Holys replied, “Excellent Lord Boriel. I can guarantee you that General Tharr will not interrupt your plans in any way shape or form. I have some agents in the field that will guarantee that…”

One of Holys greatest experiments involved a half-breed child of the Daemonsbane monster called Roan. And his experiment in automated life was going splendidly. They had been very influential in many ways. They collapsed trust in the VLAD agency by its own members, until the Colony Generals’ greatest supporters and protectors were all in jail leaving him vulnerable, killing General Tharr, preventing the EEF from allying with the Nightmare Lords of the SteamGate Hidden Dimension.

Holys laughed aloud after putting down the commcrystal. Right now he could feel the timelines drifting apart from the moment he had activated himself as a chronomancer. It was disorienting living in multiple timelines at once, he wondered if this was how a da’uhnb felt all the time. Lucklily his eyes only saw the timeline he was focused on, so he was at least able to see what he needed in this timeline.

He could feel three distinct paths forming under his feet.

Three experiments that he was so excited to run on the unsuspecting people of Refuge. The mad scientist, the chronomancer, the necro-technician in him would each get one to play with, and all would be run from his new Hub of Worlds, hidden away far from prying eyes…

Part 1: The Time Shredders meet in Mt. Vir
(from the Mission Post)

There was a flash of blue light and Volphis Starfalcon stood on the peak of Mt. Vir.
He was a K’iorn, dressed in the traditional garb of the elite Dra’koon, bodyguards to the exalted Zaodonai. The Moniker Starfalcon showed he was a member of one of the two tribes of the high kings. The Twin Falcon Tribes, Starfalcon and Greyfalcon, the claws of Lord Falos himself, long missing on the prison dimension of Les’tas’tral. On his brow he wore a crown showing that he bore the favor of one of the High Kings.

To a K’iorn of Refuge, seeing Volphis in his Starfalcon regalia would be viewed much as an Earther colonist of old Earth aristocracy. A quaint time period of the past. But to the K’iou of Mt. Vir his Dra’koon armor, shaped of still living Khaz’gha wood, marked Volphis as an honored guest. His crown marked him a messenger of the highest authority. And the fact that he arrived by flash of light, made him seem even more mysterious to the normally down to earth K’iou.

He made a meeting chamber out of a Tavern known as the Drunken Maul. Soon enough four other Time Shredders arrived. Each representing a different faction affected by the Temporal Catastrophy occuring on Refuge.

Volphis was sitting by a stone table, enjoying a flagon of Ice Binber wine from distant Jemison Post. The door to the Tavern swung open and the first of his rivals arrived. Anyone who knew him would recognize Maverick Multimancer, representing the Resistance and Old Earth. Volphis knew much of Maverick, and knew only a danger of this magnitude would cause him to leave Earth, unprotected.

The foppish swashbuckler was dressed in a ceremonial chest plate that looked freshly shined. But it was old and worn, much like the dandyish wide brimmed hat with a massive feather in it. His blond goatee and tight mustache made him look like a poor man’s Errol Flynn. His long blond hair was up under his hat with only a bit of it trailing down his shoulders, making him look more unkempt than heroic.

Volphis was surprised to see that Maverick had not brought his apprentices with him. Instead he was alone, and his eyes had a thousand yard stare. He welcomed him and offered the Earther a flagon identical to his own.

Maverick purified the beverage with the Leyas before downing half the flagon, then he burped loudly.

“Armenius is dead…final death…” said Maverick, “Killed exactly one Earth year before the assasination of the Da’uhnb Queen. And now this temporal catastrophe?”

Volphis drank a healthy draught and said, “Makes you wonder right?

I know you hated my father…”

Maverick interrupted and said, “K’ain son of K’ain was historically a K’iorn who brought his nations together in peace with the Uthvelor of Zaodonai Celyse and the Earthers of the EEF. I hold no ill will towards him. I don’t even know him really.”

“I was speaking of my adopted father…the Krato General Tharr. He once told me, don’t mess with time travel, use it to get from Point A to Point B with enough time to get done what you need to get done. Anything more than that will cause terrible consequences,” Volphis said with an uncomfortable laugh and then a stoic set to his jaw as he recited Tharr’s words.

Maverick said, “If not for your father Tharr…I might have lived a happy life on Les’Tas’Tral, raised my young Armenius into an artificer instead of a Time Shredder. Enjoyed fishing with Sir Rogarth and the Druid Cykus. Maybe found love one day. Instead I was imprisoned, and my own adopted son was kidnapped by your father. Luckily I rescued him. Had I only been as successful when I tried to save you…”

Volphis said, “No lies between us old man. You know if not for Tharr you would never have unlocked the secrets of Time Shredding. You would have never learned the truth about your own tainted family tree, nor seen how you could redeem it by freeing Earth.

I can tell you this Maverick, in the parts beyond the fracture point, I have seen your Earth freed and lead proudly by men and women calling themselves Lions of Earth.”

“Did they serve Mortis Leonin? Or did they serve Angelus Vulfrym?” asked Maverick with concern.

“They came from Refuge, in that future, working as a joint EEF and IR force to reclaim Earth and rebuild it, under Vulfrym,” said Volphis, “My biological grandfather Nngao taught me how to evade I.R. sensors and fool Brethren equipment during those heady days.”

Maverick said, “I served alongside an A.I. combat mekanoid based on the memories of the Nngao of Refuge. He was a brave and noble soul.”

“My grandfather would likely trip you with some artfully grown vines upon hearing such a comment. He did hate technology and mekanoids especially so,” said Volphis with a laugh.

Maverick smiled with genuine mirth for the first time since Armenius had been killed. He saw a bit of Armenius spirit in Volphis now that the imposing Tharr wasn’t between them. How ironic, a father who lost a son, staring across at a son who had lost his father.

Maverick was about to say something heartfelt to Volphis when the door opened and in walked a bland looking man in a Dumbari Business Suit. The man sat down at the table, and bowed his head to both Maverick and Armenius.

Maverick thought the bland man’s aura was concerningly calm. Volphis meanwhile was already standing. His wrists flexed and his nnghai wrist blades extended. The khaz’gha wood was sharper than steel, and Volphis had already leapt into a nearby shadow, coming up with his blades pointed at two points on the bland man’s body, before Maverick could react.

The blade entering the bland man’s midsection would have been a wound grevious to a normal human’s lungs, but the bland man seemed only inconvenienced by it.

“You are lucky you missed my heart,” said the bland man, “Had you cut it open you would have found my insides less than friendly to the intrusion. My name is Hannibal, and I work for an organization you both have fallen afoul of. My master is the Time Shredder Windwraith. And Windwraith’s Phantoms and Spectres are everywhere.”

Maverick leaned in rudely and asked, “If you are everywhere, how the heck did all this mess go down?”

“Our maker believed that the death of Warmonger was a worthy experiment. None would suspect such a direct attack on the strongest Ancient Evil, and the banishment of the rest would cost us all the Da’uhnb Queen,” said Hannibal as he cupped a napkin over the wound in his suit. Suprisingly the napkin did not stain with blood. There was no color change at all.

Volphis smiled a deep smile at that , “I’d say despite all our perspectives that we are the hero, the Da’uhnb’s Temporal Enforcement Agency does have a dossier on all of us and our respective organizations? And we each probably already have a cell at the Gu’ah Temporal Max waiting for us with three hots and a cot and an eternity to contemplate our crimes against the timeline. But all three of us, and our organizations are all smart enough never to try a stunt on this scale right after the Da’uhnb Queen died.”

“If stunt you mean trying to control time directly, to bend it and warp it to our will?” asked Hannibal, “No, even we would not test such a dangerous concept. Especially after the death of Warmonger and the assassination of the Da’uhnb Queen. It is like someone has cleared the most powerful pieces from the chestboard. My master believes the same force that guided the killing of the Da’uhnb Queen is also responsible for this point of fracture.”

“Let me guess,” said Maverick with a slight sour look, “Would it be the man known as Jim Cricket, full time superhero, part time celebrity clown? The same clown you phantoms led back in time to become the Host to the Creeping Darkness? Instilling a fear of clowns into countless beings across time and space? Thanks for that, make sure to tell Windwraith if you see him.”

Hannibal looked back blandly, as if Maverick’s hostile tone was nothing more than an abberation on a fine day, “Windwraith asked me to give you his regards, Maverick Multimancer. He wondered how you and your backwater rebels were faring after the horror show that was temporal cold war being run by Mortis Leonin?”

“Let’s see, my dear son is dead. My apprentices scattered to all corners of the distant shores and distant timelines. My Resistance is strong,” said Maverick, “Every day, more and more heroes are joining up.”

The door to the tavern opened up and immediately Maverick was happy he hadn’t said anything more about Resistance operations.

Standing at the door was Death, leader of the clones known as the Four Horsemen. They acted as judge jury and executioner of anyone trying to change Earth’s history, so it was rare to see them acting on matters this far afield.

Death was known for dressing appropriate to the locale, and on Refuge he dressed like a dark knight. His helm a screaming skull mask. His armor made a low grumbling noise as he moved. And the thick arming sword at his side was inscribed with runes in High Falos that said, “Trust in the Future.”

Despite this change in attire Maverick would recognize his lifelong adversary anywhere.

“What no Scythe?” asked Maverick snidely, while he reached for his rapier.

“You and I are simply slaves to time,” Death replied, “And Time has called all four of here to protect the innocents of this planet during this time of temporal catastrophe.”

And then when no one replied with anything intelligent, Death touched his hand to his chest and a large scythe extended out. It was black and thin, a weapon of elegant simplicity.

“Is that better?” asked Death.

Hannibal, dominion of Windwraith said, “Clone soldier, do you show your weapon to prove you are who we all know you to be? Or do you offer us combat on this day?”

Death said, “I do not offer you combat. I offer you neutral ground. I suspect if I rely only on I.R. assets we will fail to protect this timeline’s inhabitants during this turbulence. But if I employ you three to get word to your organizations. We can make this an orderly transition.”

“Orderly transition…what are you talking about?” asked Maverick in genuine suspicion.

“In the futures we have seen, the criminals of the penal colony of Refuge gain great power not here on this godforsaken planet, but out in space among the stars. The Draco…it is the lynchpin of an orderly future, and my honest goal is to make sure the best of the criminal scum of this planet lead the Draco and not the worst this planet has to offer.
Beyond that, and keeping the timeline from further shattering, I have no ulterior evil agenda.”

Volphis smirked, “He definitely knows how to speak to your listening doesn’t he, Maverick? At least the time cops sent their most eloquent member.”

Death cocked his helmed head to the side, “War wanted to come, says he owes you a bloody nose and a couple of new scars for what you did to Ryder and Crash.”

At the names Ryder and Crash came up, Maverick’s eyes widened, “What do you know of my apprentice Ryder?”

“I know that my clone brother War considers Ryder his own apprentice, but I will let the two of you fight that out the next time you see each other,” said Death almost jovially, as if he had seen the outcome and it had been supremely entertaining.

Hannibal interrupted saying, “How do we stop the shattering. Everytime I try and time shred to the location of the Warmonger ritual, find the assassin of the Da’uhnb Queen, or stop whomever is messing with time, I get stopped in this time period.

Can’t go back because I overshoot enough that any changes would have very catastrophic effects.”

Volphis suggested, “If we go back and stop em from doing the Ritual to kill Warmonger, the balance won’t be thrown off. Then the Da’uhnb Queen won’t be killed and…”

Hannibal said, “Try it, the closest I can get is a few months before during a battle between the Frost General of Warmonger and the heroes of Refuge. Any change I make, no matter how small, if it effects or stops the Ritual or the finding of the Ritual it also stops the Heroes from redeeming the Frost General.
With a fully powered core of Elemental Generals at his side, those timelines always lead me to futures where the Warmonger destroys Refuge and marches on the rest of reality soon after.
Its almost like the Ritual is creating a temporal loop by which it now must happen, because it has happened. Or maybe some other force is simply controlling the timeline.

I don’t know, we are moving into dangerous unsteady new grounds.”

Volphis said, “I’d test your theory but I’ll leave until after this strange meeting.”

Maverick had an odd look on his face, “When I tried going a few months from now I ended up here. It seemed like I couldn’t Time Shred to any point until after the Colony General election.”

“Which means any changes we make we must make now, or stay in this timeline and make them when needed,” said Death in agreement.

Volphis who had arrived first, was also the most impatient, “So what is the point…why are we all here? You suggest that the Balance has chosen us to restore some order. And we can do that. So let us use a little logic… What do each of you know about the next few months?”

They compared notes and they found only a few facts consistent with the three different futures they had witnessed.

Maverick held up a note pad and said, “So the consistent things were…

The Cult of Ayx conquers the other Hivequeens, and High Queen Qu’oa becomes a Queen in exile.

There is an uprising against Elijah Morte, Grand Magi of the kingdom of I’tash, in an effort to restore I’tash to the throne.

There is a battle in Boriel’s Retreat. A battle between many Kumfei PeaceLords and the Bastard PeaceLord Grim.

It seems that last one, the battle of Boriel’s Retreat is the one closest to this date.”

“Then we will need to gather our agents from among those in service at the Battle of Boriel’s Retreat.”

Part 2: Burke the Merc gets an offer he cannot refuse

Burke hated Peacelords, ever since that day when a Peacelord Illuminated threatened to annihilate him on the streets of Borvis. It was an act that had trapping him in that alley so that robots could hold him down while Krato cultists summoned an ancient evil into an alternate timeline evil clown giant who then proceeded to molest him.

However Burke found himself a good vantage point and used his holovid camera to film as much of the chaos as he could, so that he could sell it to any interested parties. No one is paying him to shoot people after all, trauma aside money is needed for violence beyond self defense.

News of the battle between The Grim and the PeaceLord Slavers in Boriel’s Retreat had hit merc hiring boards across the colonies, the northern kingdoms and the goblin lands. It seemed folks were hiring for mercs on both sides. Most of the hiring contracts seemed to require some additional campaigning which Burke didn’t like. He only took contracts where he was guaranteed to see some pay after the first mission, not at some indescribable time in the future.

But when a friend in the mercing buisiness whispered that The Lucky Fate, the very team of mercs turned marketers who were the movers and shakers behind colonial Candidate Daron, had taken the contract Burke knew it would be a battle worth taping.

The last time he had seen them they showed up in a giant robot monster. Burke wondered who would be more interested. The film studios of Neo Vargas, or the blackmarket.

He looked through the lens and saw the armies of thousands of Peacebringer slave soldiers surrounding District 49. The Petal was surrounded by other petals on three sides and sky (and a long long drop to the ground) on the forth. Two of the three neighboring petals were enemy Slavers and were part of the plot to punish Grim for stealing their property. The third was neutral but had allowed the armies of a rival Peacelord to use his lands to transit to Grims petal. The fourth side had I’tashi Carrier craft from rival peacelords poised to begin their assault.

It was like they were waiting for something.

Burke sneered, had he come all this way for them to just peace out on the battle. What a waste. Then he looked closer at the forner Peacebringers guarding Grim’s walls. There seemed to be fewer than there had been when Burke had arrived a few hours before to scout out a spot and find this one.

That was odd. The few who were standing were clutching their stomachs.

Burke wondered bad food? Some sort of disease attack? Either way, it seemed to be the signal and the rival PeaceLord armies converged on the Three Towers of Grim. Their solar cannons spat light focused enough to cut through steel armor and the meat inside.

Grim’s Peacebringers and defenders fought bravely but in their weakened state they were quickly overrun by the advancing armies. Calls back to Grim’s command post went unanswered, and the commanders on the ground made and ordered retreat into the safety of the three towers themselves. They barred doors, sealed windows and raised shields, awaiting orders from their Lord Grim. But no orders came.

Meanwhile the rival PeaceLords didn’t waste their time. They sent their WarGiants forward to bring down the towers. The crystal was acid resistent from ages of battle with Krato, so the Giants needed to go fist to the walls in close combat. But before they could get close enough, a giant metal Kue’lo landed.

Burke stood up, making sure he had the mecha-monstrosity in frame and continued to record. Burke could already see the headlines; Daron’s campaign advisor involved in War Crimes”. At worse he could sell it to a tabloid.

Then Burke noticed something in his peripheral. He prepped the holovid camera on its tripod, hoping it would get some good footage. He turned and lifted his laser sniper rifle, but didn’t fire.

There was a dark knight with a skull mask carrying a sword. Burke could already tell it was going to be one of those days. The dark knight made the motion of sheathing his sword and said, “Sir I wish to hire you. Or should I say, I wish to buy a copy of your footage.”

The dark knight made a knowing motion to the camera.

Burke had expected a lag between filming and selling the film which was much more realistic than this moment and he knew it.

The dark knight tossed him a gold bar.

“That bar is worth 100 ghaz. Finish your work filming this battle today, and when you are done bring a copy of the footage to my…friends over there,” the dark knight said pointing down at a group of three people sitting on a rooftop not far from him but outside of his camera’s view.

There was a red hatted swashbuckler, a K’iorn dra’koon, and an earther merchant. They didn’t look that out of place on Refuge. They had set up what looked like a picnic. Burke wondered if they were war tourists looking for a rush. It would explain why they would pay for his footage.

“I like the 100 ghaz, but I think this footage is going to be worth more than that,” negotiatied Burke.

“I have nine identical bars to go along with that one if the footage is as good as you propose,” said the dark knight.

“Excellent,” said Burke already feeling better about braving the cold and ice to come out this far.

As he watched the dark knight with the skull helm leap building to building, rooftop to rooftop to rejoin his friends, Burke felt a bit of longing for his own team.

He went back over to the camera. With 1000 ghaz on the line, he could buy new base of operations, or fund more world travel. He would make this the best account of the Battle of the Towers of Grim.

Part 4: Through the T.J. Eye

Maverick leaned over and said to Volphis, “Are you sure we can trust Death?”

“Yes, convincing a man like Burke to work for us is right up Death’s alley. And I’ve worked with Burke before…in the future when he is a much older and grayer Merc. But despite some trauma in his youth, he is a reliable merc. He will get the footage we need,” said Volphis.

Hannibal said, “My phantoms have moved into the city to observe as well.”

“Just like Burke they will experience whatever timeline they are in, and we need footage of all three.” said Volphis, “And make sure I do the handoff with Burke, no-one touch the data vial he gives us until I load it into my temporal computer. Otherwise it will colocalize and we will only get one timeline’s version of events. And if we are to be ready, we need all three.”

Volphis raised a staff with a golden pyramid on it, and a crystalline eye at its peak. As he held out the staff, the four of them could see three different sets of events playing out. All equally valid, and equally real, but seperated by the gulf of timelines. The rest had never seen the timelines so clearly.

Death was amazed, “But how do you do such a thing?”

“This staff is topped with the T.J. Eye. Created by General Vulfrym at the command of Mortis Leonin, from the flesh of a Time Shredding Annihilator it can pierce the membrane between different timelines and allow someone to see outside their own.

Right now it is showing us all the battle…”

The staff glowed as the Temporal effect spread from it. Warping time and space around the four Time Shredders and allowing them to see all sides of the conflict.

Part 4: DR2220Z

Biff had kept to the background in the new and evolving territories of PeaceLord Grim. He was distracted by his hate of Yildor Roren and the election. He and W made for terrible candidates, and their recent failures kept them out of the limelight. Until now. Battle was imminent, and he owed Grim some apparent fealty. That, and this got personal. He was to free slaves. Every action was a possibility to free others as he himself was freed. This was personal.

Biff had spent the previous days in secret bringing in various spies from New Home to help bolster Grim’s defenses. They were not enough to make others aware of a new influx, but enough to bring to the attention of Grim’s defense forces how to engage larger enemy forces using slave labor. 1) Target the PeaceLords 2) Capture the scepter(s) 3) Free the slaves.

As Grim’s soldiers and freed slaves succumbed to the horrific trap set in their food supply, Biff ordered the BFF to move into action.

BFF soldiers dropped from the shadows under the wings of the topmost enemy attack gliders and used them to skyjack lower gliders. Each time a glider had to pull up, they inadvertantly put another glider at risk. Once onboard the BFF soldiers disabled the slammer and pilot and turned the weapons of the gliders back on the Slavers WarGiants.

As they blew the cockpits off WarGiants, their own soldiers moved in hacking the WarGiants and taking control.

But that was not the main event by a long shot. As Biff battled his way into the neighboring PeaceLord’s Tower, fighting floor by floor to find the lord, he could see a strange sight out the windows. The Metal Discord Kue’lo, the giant robot was battering its way through PeaceLord armies. Punching, kicking and stomping through WarGiants slave soldiers until it reached a commander or PeaceLord. Then it would open its big maw, and swallow the PeaceLord hole.

As Biff reached the top floor, he came upon an odd sight. Tal’al’oon was there with a PeaceLord knocked out cold. The Peacelord’s bodyguards were dead, with springshot rounds through their throats.

Biff had many a long religious conversation over drinks at the cold draft with the Gun Monk and was pleased to see him here.

“Capturing PeaceLords?” asked Biff.

Tal nodded. “This is my second. How has your own hunt been going?”

“BFF captured four so far,” said Biff.

Tal replied as he tossed this peacelord over his shoulder, “The MDK has been beating us both, I think its eaten the rest. One of the Peacelords I captured had a contract on him with some gang called the Mak Lal’tor to provide shipments of weapons and gliders to an address in the Goblin Lands. Odd, what would PeaceLords be doing hiring Olgogs from Brez?”

Biff said, “We should definitely find out.”

Meanwhile aboard the MDK outside, they had just finished swollowing another Peacelord, and damn was he putting up a fight.

Godart appeared on the screen and says:

“Hi Hekeriki, I think something is wrong. Was dead and watching some Eromanga Sensei and now I been kinda trapped in this white space for a week or so,” states calmly.

“Eromanga Sensei? Never heard of it. Any good?” Hekeriki asks numbly.

“Meh.”

"Oh well, they can’t be all good.

thud

Hekeriki falls forward flat on her face unconscious.

Heart Attack screams, “Get off the screen you nut!”

"Sorry. Uhm, that PeaceLord? He’s not out cold yet.”

One of the Truly Lucky Goblin Gunners knocked the PeaceLord out, but not before taking a magi cannon shot to the stomach that opens him up. As he held in his guts he said looking at Godart while kicking the body, “You’re dead, right?”

“I don’t know. You know what? This is a bad time and it looks like you are all busy. I’ll come back later,” he says as pops of the screen.

Toriel turns to the Truly Lucky Goblin Gunner and asks, “Who was that?”

“Godart but he’s supposed to be dead.”

“Previous boss?”

“Yeah…”

As Biff and Tal stood together on the Balcony of the Tower they saw the battle finally grinding to a halt.

The last Peacelord came forward and ordered his soldiers to stand down. He was a kumfei standing two foot three inches with a goatee of white and chestnut skin. His eyes were an orange topaz and his head covered in a tall hat adorned with feathers and gems.

“This feud between Peacelord Grim and I is over. I have seen how his people Rally to him, how he and his people prosper. How much Boriel respects Peacelord Grim and has given his blessings for his actions. Those who do not change will be lost to those historic ways and will fall. I see this now. We must act.

So I say to my people and slaves, when we win this, we will follow in Peacelord Grims example. I will free my slaves and we will improve our kingdom. So Now you fight for your Freedom and the Freedom of your families and not just because you have. Win and you and your family will win for generations.”

These newely freed peacebringers helped the allied forces consolidate on the three precients around Grim’s territory temporarlity expanding their hold on the lands.

It seemed tensions might rise again, and constant street fighting inthe four districts. Grim could not expand control enough to end the battles, as his own troops were laid low by the tainted food supplies. And the battle between the MDK and the WarGiants had devastated so much of the beautiful buildings on those four districts. In a city of beauty it was like a cancerous sore, a blight on the landscape. And even by the second night the chaos of battle continued as individual loyalist Peacebringers kept the fight going on behalf of their missing masters.

A Carrier craft floated overhead bearing the markings of Boriel, lord of these lands.
The massive baribur walked down from it, and extended his wings to seem as large as possible. He said

“The events of the past few days have moved me so. To see such bravery on both sides. I have received reports of tainted food supplies injuring thousands of people here including most of the slaves in question. I cannot allow so many of my people to suffer.

My city now has four districts that will take years to rebuild. The rest of the PeaceLords of this city now wish to continue this fight and expand it into a full civil war.

So I stand here, once Lord Boriel. But now moved to make another step. One day everyone in this kingdom will be free. And I want that one day to be soon, but just as you hate the chains of slavery, so does Lord I’tash. All who willingly join the army that is setting forth today to free Lord I’tash and restore to him his home and his family, will be granted by me the rights and responsibility of freedom.

The sick and dying will be moved from here to Jemison Post where Grim will allow them to heal and rest.

It was the great acts of Grim and now our beloved Peacelord here who showed me the light. Let us free the last of the true slaves, and in so doing all will be free on Refuge!”

So caught up in the fevor of the battle’s end, the entire field of slave soldiers cheered. Their sacrifices had not been in vain. They were proud to fight one last battle to free Lord I’tash, and free themselves.

Tal and Biff returned to the Three Towers of Grim where the PeaceLords were assembled for a talk about airing grievances and hopefully finding peace. Though they knew the longer they kept the PeaceLords out of the field, the harder it would be to stop their Peacebringers from marching on the Capitol of I’tash with an army of tens of thousands.

Everyone was surprised when Holonet footage of the battle appeared on every news channel on Refuge, even pirate stations. The politial effects seemed to be instant, the footage of the MDK capturing the PeaceLords became the talk of those who had access to a Holovid viewer.

Politicans in every colony talked about it, but despite their own concerns the common colonial on the street loved it. Impressively Candidate Daron surged in the polls when it was revealed his own camera crew and his marketing and promotional team were involved in the MDK. This was a candidate who got things done through proxies who were heroic and restrained like true heroes should be. Within days Daron had outpaced both Yildor Roren and the rest of the pack as lead for Colony General.

Part 5: DR2220Y

Tal’al’oon, Ohmite Gun Monk of Jemison Post, did not want this fight but he would try to end it quickly. But as the battle raged, and BFF fighters took out gliders, and Wintermute Undead hijacked WarGiants and harried infantry, it was the MDK that truly horrified him.
After the Colonial Lancers had disembarked from the MDK and set up a defensive perimeter, they held back and the MDK did its thing.

As Tal watched in shock, the massive robot was smahing buildings, cutting WarGiants to ribbons, and crushing infantry to paste. The poor slave soldiers worried a saddened Tal’al’oon. The MDK was destructive and devastating, but it at least allowed him to sneak past the very distracted rival peacebringers.

He found an excellent position and was able to sneak aboard the armored Palanquin of one Peacelord, only to have the roof torn off by the MDK as it grabbed and gobbled the PeaceLord. Tal’al’oon wondered what was this mecha-monstronsity?

Looking at it with Leyas sight, he saw it seemed to be powered by some spirit, and it gave off a similar aura to the one Time Shredder he had seen. He heroically focused his will, and to his amazement he saw past the obscurements on the MDK. It was a living automaton, made and powered through a variety of means including a Sylvan Power Generator, and a Soul Engine of the type used by the offworlder Orleos Sacrenine. It was an amalgam of every technology the Colonies had discovered or developed since the Draco Liberation had begun. His time on San Martin had exposed Tal to things they just didn’t have on Refuge, but the tech in that MDK must have been stolen from across time.
The Ohmite sighed, had the pilots of that vessel joined with them in a medidtation of peace they could have ended the fighting before it began.

Godart appears on the screen and says, “Oh, sorry I meant to leave and…”

Godart’s jaw just dropped. Everything was different than it had been a moment ago.

“Hull at 89 percent strength! Divert power to shields. Tried of them shadow jumping in cockpit!”

“Weapons set one and set three are overheating. Switch to set two and four. Set five and set six will be ready in 2 minutes.”

“You stupid and silly foes, the MDK is here to wreck your day!”

“Hekeriki? What’s going on?” Godart asks.

“Oh! Hi Godart! I thought you were dead,” smiled Hekeriki.

“I… what going on here? What’s this place?”

“This is the Metal Discord Kuo’lo and we’re making Refuge a better place by crushing naughty PeaceLords bugging Grim.”

“Uhm, one just teleported in…”

The 5 Truly Lucky Goblin Gunners shot him dead and one says "“You’re dead, right?”

“Yeah, I… going to…”

“I’m happy to see you Godart and I have so many questions. Could you come back later, please?”

“Sure,” Godart says confuse and pops off the screen.

Toriel turns to one of the Truly Lucky Goblin Gunner and asks, “Who was that? Godart?”

“Godart but he’s supposed to be dead.”

“Previous boss?”

“Yeah…”

Heart Attack said, “One last PeaceLord to go and I think we got 'em all!”

They smashed through an army that looked disoriented and kept motioning No.

“Ha you see them below us? Of couse its a No. who wants to be crushed by a giant Kue’lo?”

The 5 Truly Lucky Goblin Gunners tried to shoot him dead but the PeaceLord was already through a shadow and disabling the first Gunner with a magi cannon. His second and third shots were slower as the PeaceLord turned into Spymaster Lurtor, trying to talk them down.

Finally realizing it really was Lurtor they stopped attacking, but their attack on him prevented him from delivering his speech…

The MDK had to crush most of the rest of the army to put the problem to a stop.

A Carrier craft floated overhead bearing the markings of Boriel, lord of these lands.
The massive baribur walked down from it, and extended his wings to seem as large as possible. He said

“The events of the past few hours have moved me. I have received reports of tainted food supplies injuring thousands of people here including most of the slaves in question. I cannot allow so many of my people to suffer.

My city now has four districts that will take years to rebuild. The rest of the PeaceLords of this city now wish to continue this fight and expand it into a full civil war and maybe they are right for doing so. The destruction started here is immense. The deathtoll staggering.

So I stand here, once Lord Boriel. But now moved to make another step.

One day everyone in this kingdom will be free. And I want that one day to be soon, but just as you hate the chains of slavery, so does Lord I’tash. All who willingly join the army that is setting forth today to free Lord I’tash and restore to him his home and his family, will be granted by me the rights and responsibility of freedom.

The sick and dying will be moved from here to Jemison Post where Grim will allow them to heal and rest.

It was the great acts of Grim and now the horrors inflicted on my beloved people that has shown me the light. Let us free the last of the true slaves, and in so doing all will be free on Refuge!”

There were few left alive and those who did were too wounded to cheer. But across Boriel’s Retreat as the news spread, slave soldiers cheered. Their years of toil had not been in vain. They were willing to fight one last battle to free Lord I’tash, if it could mean they would free themselves.

The Armies of Grim were demoralized. They watched as hundreds of thousands of slave soldiers marched from the Retreat towards I’tash to begin the long war.

Everyone was surprised when Holonet footage of the battle appeared on every news channel on Refuge, even pirate stations. The politial effects seemed to be instant, the footage of the MDK smashing a beautiful crystal city became the talk of those who had access to a Holovid viewer.

Politicans in every colony talked about it, their own concerns were echoed by the common colonial on the street who was terrified of it. Not surprisingly Candidate Daron dropped in the polls when it was revealed his own camera crew and his marketing and promotional team were involved in the MDK. This was a candidate who got things done through proxies who were destructive and unrestrained in their wanton violence. The fact that colonial lancers had disembarked the MDK at the start of the battle made everyone question why the EEF wasn’t directly involved. Yildor Roren jumped on the video and pushed that once again Strykker was a lame duck candidate, and that Candidate Daron was downright dangerous. And the public lapped it up…hook line and sinker.

Within days Yildor Roren had outpaced both Daron and Strykker, and the rest of the pack as lead for Colony General.

Part 6: DR2220X

Captain Puhza was happy to be given an actual combat assignment as opposed to the several diplomatic ones he was previously given. His good mood was slightly dampened by the fact that he would have to travel underground for the majority of the trip but overland routes to the Glacial Wastes were few from Wintermute. Half a dozen Ghoul War Devourers were deployed to tunnel past Kasanth (the Kasantian Government was notified that his force would be passing through as to not create a diplomatic incident) Captain Puhza was ordered to provide support to Grim’s forces but not directly.

But when Captain Puhza saw the withdrawl into the towers, their obvious signs of having been either poisoned or disease, he knew the defenses must have been sabotaged. He brought his forces around to begin driving back the WarGiants long enough, for allied forces to disembark from the Metal Discord Kue’lo.

He had hoped to see the massive robot in battle, but he could understand why a giant on giant battle might not be the best thing for the city. The Metal Discord Kue’lo took off again after dropping off his allies.

They were colonial lancers, and some tough soldiers which Captain Puhza was happy to see.
Puhza used their arrival to spring into action. He started at one side of the WarGiant lines, using his Ghasts to burn back the ground troops and allow his Vampires and Reanimators and their small army of undead access to the WarGiants and their pilots.

Shadow walking onto the backs of the Giants, they climbed up. Using undead as meat shields, the Vampires reached the cockpits without the pilots realizing they were under a closer and more pressing attack. The vampires killed the pilots, while the Reanimators raised them as undead. Within a few moments, a force of allied WarGiants flanked the other WarGiants and delivered devistation while the lancers took up positions and began to disable any soldiers who got too close.

But none had considered the enemy’s airforce which fired down with I’tashi rocket racks and filled the field of battle with poison gas. It killed ally and enemy alike, but Captain Puhza would not be stopped.
He had his undead grab the dying colonial lancers and his vampires shadow walked them to safety.

Together now working as a team, the Wintermute forces and colonial lancers regrouped near the walls behind the Slaver forces. They tended to their wounded and waited for the poison gas to clear. The Reanimators added more undead to the allied forces, and they prepared to shadow walk back into battle.

When suddenly, the Rival troops began to stand down. One after another. Until only one third of the original rival army still remained in the fight. Then their Peacelord appeared personally on the battlefield, and made a speech, that Captain Puhza couldn’t believe he was hearing.

“This feud between Peacelord Grim and I is over. I have seen how his people Rally to him, how he and his people prosper. How much Boriel respects Peacelord Grim and has given his blessings for his actions. Those who do not change will be lost to those historic ways and will fall. I see this now. We must act.

So I say to my people and slaves, when we win this, we will follow in Peacelord Grims example. I will free my slaves and we will improve our kingdom. So Now you fight for your Freedom and the Freedom of your families and not just because you have. Win and you and your family will win for generations.”

Everyone on the battlefield put down their weapons, and in that moment the royal carriage of Boriel arrived. The massive baribur walked down from it, and used his wings to fly to the highest tower nearby.

“The events of this day have moved me so. To see such bravery on both sides. I have received reports of tainted food supplies injuring thousands of people here including most of the slaves in question. I cannot allow so many of my people to suffer.

So I stand here, once Lord Boriel. But now moved to make another step. One day everyone in this kingdom will be free. And I want that one day to be soon, but just as you hate the chains of slavery, so does Lord I’tash. All who willingly join the army that is setting forth today to free Lord I’tash and restore to him his home and his family, will be granted by me the rights and responsibility of freedom.

It was the great acts of Grim and now our beloved Peacelord here who showed me the light. Let us free the last of the true slaves, and in so doing all will be free on Refuge!”

So caught up in the fevor of the battle’s end, the entire field of slave soldiers cheered. Their sacrifices had not been in vain. They were proud to fight one last battle to free Lord I’tash, and free themselves.

Captain Puhza was impressed with the haul. He had personally added a whole battalion to his undead forces here. And now they were going to march back with this strange allied army.

As far as Puhza could tell, the “Freedom army” as Boriel had named it, would march to each Northern Kingdom on the way to I’tash and demand either their alliance or their neutrality. Those who remained neutral would retain their sovereignty. Those that allied would be given more land and more resources under the restored Government of I’tash.

Captain Puhza also heard tell from lower ranked I’tashi Peacelords that if Wintermute didn’t sign up for either nuetrality or alliance, there were a whole bunch of Korpuvians just waiting to invade Wintermute. But of course, if they did sign up for alliance, Wintermute would be given a place higher in rank than the Korpuvians, and their rights sacrosanct.

He was ordered by his commanders to remain. It seems that the Border Freedom Force and the Gun Monk Tal’al’oon had rounded up the rival peacelords during the battle. There was a delegation going on, and Wintermute would need a seat at the table.

He wondered how their neighbors in Kasanth would view this army marching across their borders…

Meanwhile in the middle of a peaceful flight home, Godart appears on the screen of the MDK and says,
“What’s going on here!?”

“Oh! Hi Godart! I thought you were dead,” smiled Hekeriki.

Heart Attack screams, “Get off the screen you nut!”

“Yes, we’re trying to get home and I don’t think this a good idea with you blocking the screen.”

Loo Tla speaks up, “We do have these little ones on the console we can see out of.”

Godart pops into one in front of Hekeriki. “I was dead and I meet you and then I meet you and meet you…”

“Godart. You sound a bit tired. If you can, try to back home. We’ll be there in a couple of hours. Being around a Time Shredder this big could be hazardous.”

“What? The Metal Discord Kuo’lo has a Time Shredder?”

Hekeriki smile turned upside down. “It does… I’m happy to see you Godart and I have so many questions. Could you come back later, please?”

“Sure,” Godart says hesitantly and pops off the screen.

Toriel turns to Hekeriki and asks, “Who was that? Godart?”

“My bestest friend in the whole universe that came back!”

“Great?”

“Yes,” Hekeriki replied with a slight grin.

Everyone was surprised when Holonet footage of the battle appeared on every news channel on Refuge, even pirate stations. The politial effects seemed to be instant, the footage of the colonial Lancers coming to the defense of the wounded freedom fighters brought many colonists back to their early memories of the EEF. Just a bunch of regular volunteers serving bravely in the name of freedom. Many folks yearned and longed for that in the colonies. And seeing the bravery and sacrifice of the Lancers, many wanted to see a better future where the army of citizen soldiers were part of the community and embraced…

Politicans in every colony talked about it, enrollment in the EEF surged, and the common colonial on the street loved it. Not Surprisingly Candidate Strykker surged in the polls as more and more folks wanted someone who had recently seen the horrors of war to be the won protecting their own children from it. This was a candidate who had been the face of the EEF for the past two years, at the head of every campaign to free people both on Refuge and in the Draco. Within days Jeremiah Strykker had outpaced both Yildor Roren and the rest of the pack as lead for Colony General.

[b]Epilogue

Days later in a Bar in Mt. Vir
[/b]
“Now at least we have learned why these timelines are diverging,” said Volphis, “And the strength of that divergence.”

“We have?” asked Maverick not following.

“Holys is acting through agents in the field,” said Volphis, “He is acting through Boriel I’tash and through that giant vehicle, the MDK. Who made it and why?”

Maverick said, “That I don’t know.”

Hannibal said, “My sources tell me that it was found in the rubble of an abandoned building in Port Unen by the Lucky Fate, after it was buried for centuries.”

“That explains how Olgogs got their hands on it,” said Death, “I.R. Records show the MDK was a vehicle allegedly created by the Olgog Time Shedder Tor Gog in her temporal war with Mortis Leonin.”

“I thought Mortis Leonin and Tor Gog were both dead?” asked Maverick.

“In these timelines yes,” said Volphis, “But their influence is still felt.”

“Maverick it is much like your apprentice Armenius,” said Death, “His influence continues onward past his end.”

Maverick spat, “Don’t talk about my boy. Ever.”

Death put a hand up and said nothing.

Volphis said, “The next major event is the uprising in I’tash. Right now in all three timelines, armies march on towards Kasanth. To get to I’tash they must pass through Kasanth, then they will go below Fort Lendill. At that point they must pass through either Korpu or Wintermute.

Then they will begin the long fight to the capitol city of I’tash. Sometime over the next few days an insurrection will also begin wuthin the walls of the city, planned I’m sure by Boriel I’tash and his new friend Holys.”

Maverick said, “So who should we hire and what should they do?”

Death said, “We do nothing…yet. We must wait until Wintermute and Korpu decide if they will stand and fight or allow Boriel free passage or even ally with him.”

They nodded in agreement.

Rewards for this mission is based on timeline specific events. Some players get the same reward in all timelines. Some get different ones… (denoted by the words Timeline DR2220X or DR220Y or DR2220Z)

Daron gains the lead in DR2220Z

Jeremiah Strykker gains the lead in DR2220X

Godart gains Forget-me-not or Ghost? Is he a ghost is he a forget-me-not created by the Lucky Fate’s missing him? Or is the Godart they are dealing with somehow tied to how the MDK is powered…?

Lucky Fate gains
DR2220X A Peaceful resolution Every pilot gains +1 to their Pilot skill
DR2220Y Kicking ass and taking names. Every Pilot gains +1 to temper stat
DR2220Z Daron’s Champion. Every Pilot gets +1 to their hand to hand skill. .

More rewards to come in a future post.

More Rewards

All Players accounts who took part in this mission except Lucky Fate and Godart gain

A Unique Apprentice: This apprentice is far from an apprentice. A master elementalist who was held captive at Boriel’s Retreat, they are now in service to you.

All apprentices have all attributes at 5 with Leyas Rating 6 and +3 thrown attacks each round.

Their names are

Crusher the Enforcer for Maklaltor. Olgog male with Fire lvl 6, Shadow Lvl 3 and Earth lvl 3, General lvl 2

White Fur Dertla Gul for Lurtor. Olgog female with Water lvl 6, Shadow Lvl 3 and Air lvl 3, General lvl 2

Orren, Bodyguard to the Wolf for Gov of Fort Lendill. Baribur male with Technomancy lvl 6, General lvl 2

Former P.O.W. Spec Ops Captain Paloma Fitzgerald for Strykker. Earther female with Earth lvl 6, Shadow Lvl 3 and Water lvl 3, General lvl 2

Grammach Adrommach the Great Leochmaker for Wintermute. K’iou male with Shadow lvl 6, Fire Lvl 3, Necrotech 6, General lvl 2

Liberated Merc Weatherly MacIntosh for Burke the Merc. Vlahadassi female with Earth lvl 6, Shadow Lvl 3 and Light lvl 3, General lvl 2

disgraced Peacelord Lepito Von Zect for Biff and BFF, Earther male with Light lvl 6, Shadow Lvl 3 and Earth lvl 3, General lvl 2

Meanwhile Godart and Lucky fate gain access to A White Room with black curtains with a red button. http://dr-forum.whitestarhosting.net/showthread.php?1950-In-a-White-Room-with-Black-Curtains-and-a-Red-Button-(Week-8-DR2220-)&p=13581#post13581