DR2220 Mission 4 Report: Strykker Learns a Lesson from the Border Wars

Part 1: Fort Dissent watches some TV

“The Colonies of Refuge stand at a crossroads the likes of which we have not encountered in over one thousand years. After much struggle and sacrifice peace has been reached with many of the Northern Kingdoms. Even more surprising the entity known as Warmonger has been driven from his dimension. Hopefully never again will it trouble us. Sadly, not all of that creatures followers have been dealt with. Even now the Sea Kings continue to raid shipping and a splinter group is currently staging an invasion of I’tashi territory. As most of you know I have been a solider. I saw the Boarder Wars and directed many of the battles that bought them to a close. I know the costs and pain of war but I also know that sometimes against some enemies war must be waged. So it is with many of the Sea Kings. They must be opposed and stopped.

However with the destruction of The Warmonger many things have changed for them as well. They are not the unified force they have been. As a solider I know that sometimes it is better to seek peace than to wage war. To that end my response to the current conflict at Fort Dissent is twofold. Though we have not been asked for military aid at this time I think it would be best to stand ready to deliver whatever assistance may be requested be it military or humanitarian. I also think it would be wise to offer a neutral place for peace talks between the forces of the I’tashi Alliance and the Sea Kings. Such talks may be able produce peaceful results to everyone’s benefit. With the cooperation of the EEF I am prepared to offer to host talks outside of the Colonies. It is my hope that a peaceful resolution can be reached.

I feel I must also address rumors that have come to my attention regarding the abduction of Yildor Roren by known mad man and war criminal Ryuk of Kasanth. I can only assume that this abduction was part of some crazed scheme of Ryuk’s. I would like nothing more than to see him brought to justice for his various and continuing crimes. Neither I nor anyone involved with or employed by my campaign had any involvement with Ryuk or his abduction of Mr. Roren. I submit myself and my campaign to full access investigations by any Colonial authority that wishes to carry out such an investigation. In this way I hope to prove that we are innocent of any involvement in this crime.

As to the supposed involvement of my sister. I find it hard to believe that she would be involved as claimed. I simply believe that there is more to this then is apparent. If she is able I ask my sister to turn herself in to the nearest authorities for her own good. That way she will be safe while this situation is investigated. If she is being held I will do all that I can to see her safely returned to her family. To that end I am willing to pay a thousand ghaz as a reward for anyone who can find and return my sister safely home.”

Sarrick St. John watched the speech of Field Marshall Jeremiah Strykker with interest. The blackmarket Holonet Projector was displaying the speech on a full high definition nanite display. As the tiny robots swirled in the dusty air, light motes would shimmer in between their attempts to form cogent imagery.

Sarrick St.Johns had purchased the rare holonet projector from a bunch of Earther Mercs who were using it to watch I.R. reality shows. And it had been worth every ghaz. In fact, playing the projector in the main war room of the Fort had allowed them all to see that their small conflict was the focus of international news and national elections to the south. This had helped Sarrick to rally the troops when Grand Magi Elijah Morte’s reinforcements never showed up.

It had been a moment of true demoralization but between the holonet projector and a steady stream of Mercs coming to their aid, Sarrick St. Johns had kept this rag tag group of defenders together.

“St.Johns we got another colonial come calling,” said freed Peacebringer Waylon Obrien, “This one brought some air support.”

“Thank the Colonials to come to our side,” St.Johns replied, “Have them brought up to me, we need every bit of air support we could get.”

“Too bad the colonials are in the middle of an election,” replied Obrien, “I remember back when Brigadier General Strykker led the Severance Research Facility. Old I’tash sent us in and the EEFers under Strykkers command pushed back every charge we made. Their Striders were unstoppable. I never thought I’d say this back then, but I’d give my right nut for a Mammoth Artillery Strider in our support.”

“Waylon, we fight with the army we have, not the army we wish we had,” said St.Johns not wanting the wishful thinking of one soldier bring down the rest.

Former Peacebringer Waylon Obrien led in a fellow that Sarrick St.Johns had not yet met.

Dressed up as an Earther and geared up, this new fellow said, “Greetings, I’m Ran. I’m hear to take you up on your offer to help defend this fort, though I will do some of that away from here.

I have a glider I salvaged, and I plan to cause the Sea kings concern so they may hold back their forces some. And if I’m lucky, I may even cause some damage to them. Please don’t shoot me down.

Also, someone should be coming with an Anti Air weapon to help as well.”

At that last line, Sarrick St.Johns took a long look at Ran.

“Hmmm, SOMEONE probably should. But what an odd statement from one who has just arrived at our fort and not even seen our defenses,” said St.Johns, “Luckily Ani G of the Lucky Fate Squad arrived this morning and set up a quad battery of Anti-Air Ma Dueces. Those .50s should make short work of any airships the Sea Kings have stolen.”

At that moment Ani G walked up and gave Ran a greeting like and old friend. Sarrick St.Johns calmed a bit and said, “Sorry Ran, its been tough trying to run a defense force on no budget and with no support coming from Grand Magi Elijah Morte. I have paid these mercs from the ghaz I accumulated freeing manors and slaves during the Border Wars under Synfelt Von Groont’s Panzer Knights.

To be straight and true, my last ghaz will be paying your wage. Ghaz, ghaz I earned liberating the Castle of the Sun from Church of Oners and Glomhammer’s Tyrant Loyalists. After this battle if we do not win, I will have to return to the I’tashi Captial pennyless…”

Former Peacebringer Obrien interrupted, “Sir, you asked me to tell you when the former Church of Oner got on the channel?”

“Aye, I have been following the rise of this Lord Grimaldus very closely,” explained St.Johns to Ani G and Ran, “He genocided thousands and thousands of Olgogs under his rule alone, not including the corrupt Church of One Regime down south he propped up all these years.

Now everyone in the colonies is acting like he’s a kindly old knight errant. The world is a fucked up place, my friends.”

Obrien asked, “Any other preprarations that need be made, Sir. We have been spending a lot of time watching colonial campaign speeches.”

“As long as Ani G’s AA emplacement is ready, I believe we will begin once I get the all clear from artillery Captain Momaluk, and Lady Xantinus is in place to raise the enemy dead against them,” said Sarrick St.Johns, “For now, political news from our neighbors will keep our minds off the battle.”

They walked over and watched as Lord Grimaldus stepped up to a podium.

"The Northern Kingdoms of Refuge, I have been there before, most likely in a similar way that former General Strykker was. I fought in some of the many skirmishes between our peoples when I was young, I was part of a small force to aid Baronade that Dunesphere would rarely send. Like Candidate Strykker I too am glad that there is now peace at our borders, many good men and women died during those conflicts.

This peace is a good first step, however instead of doing more with our neighbors with furthering trade and exchanges between people we looked to the stars instead. While I have the greatest respect for our colonial citizens in space and will fight for them to have the best of everything, we have many opportunities here on Refuge that we need to take advantage of. A famine swept through the north in recent years, an opportunity to sell food which would have both enriched the colonies and aided the people to the north was barely taken advantage of due to old animosity. I of all people here know the foolishness of clinging to old hatreds, I among all of the candidates have learned more about leaving behind petty hatreds to try to improve the lives of those around me.

A step toward leaving behind old animosity and an opportunity is the current conflict between the Northern Kingdoms and the Sea Kings. A tsunami slammed into the coast of the nation of Itash causing devastation, this chaos was taken advantage of with this current invasion. We have an opportunity here as colonial citizens, firstly the opportunity to improve our lives and the lives of the people to the north through aid and trade. A disaster causes much suffering in the local population and much needs to be rebuilt and obtained, the nation of Itash as resources but with a war going on not much in the way of implementing aid. We can provide aid thus not only showing our northern neighbors that we have left behind our old hatreds, but providing the opportunity for merchants to get in on the ground floor, enhancing the economy of both Colonial interests and the locals.

Secondly we have the opportunity to show the strength and determination of the Colonies to both sides. Both the Northern Kingdoms and the Sea Kings need to understand that throwing around armies serve no purpose other then to destabilize the region. I believe with a minor but effective show of force we can halt the invasion and give us the opportunity to speak to both sides and attempt to end this destructive conflict.

Sadly I must move on to another topic, Candidate Yildor Roren was kidnapped in Ithamar during his campaign speech. While I disagree with much Candidate Roren stands for we cannot hold free and fair elections when a Candidate is in fear of violence. I stand with Candidate Strykker and condemn the actions of this Ryuk, what we seeks to gain from his actions I do not know. I ask everyone who is involved for ill or good to turn themselves in to the local authorities so this situation can be ended with no further violence.
Just as I condemn the kidnapping of Candidate Yildor Roren I will ask us not to jump to conclusions about any rumors about the involvement of the Strykker campaign in the kidnapping. An investigation will answer our questions and until then we must act under the presumption of innocence as we are a society which waits for the facts before judgment."

Grimaldus will sigh and shake his head.

"Here I am trying to sound all fancy when I said I wouldn’t do this in my last speech, look, do I have all the answers? Of course not, if you think any of us do you are just lying to yourself or falling for propaganda. I want to bring the people of this planet together and that includes the Northern Kingdoms. Candidate Roren may be a prick but he is running for office, I want to beat him honestly and openly, so whomever has him better release him right now because I won’t be satisfied with him just vanishing, that is not how I want him to lose, I want him to see the numbers on election day of people not falling for his hate. I want him to be dead last in this race because the Colonies won’t embrace his poisonous garbage. In the same way I want to overcome Candidate Strykker not through controversy but by proving to the people of the Colonies that I can be the best person to protect them and provide them opportunity.

Come now, we are the Colonies of Refuge, we are mighty and proud. We will take the high road and prove to the planet that we won’t take the easy way simply because we are afraid of the work. We can come together and support each other like no one else, and once we are united, we are unbeatable!"

Sarrick St.Johns leaned in to Ran and Ani G and said, “See this is what I mean. I bet folks around the colonies who don’t know his past are clapping in their damn living rooms.”

Obrien clarified, “Most colonists don’t have a holonet projector in their house. In fact except in Dusk, or in most bigger bars worth their salt, holoprojectors are damn rare.

I hear that Chooru has some larger displays for the public, as does Neo Vargas, Kalino and Zelga.”

Sarrick St.Johns said, “So how are most people going to hear about it?”

Waylon Obrien sighed and said, “Through word of mouth, from their work hall, or from their religious leaders most likely. And by then it will be interpreted and changed to fit a new narrative.”

Sarrick sat back in a sullen mood at that moment. They watched as Candidate Wengyr arrived on stage.

“Fellow Colonists, I’m going to keep it short and sweet.”

“Buffy McGraw is a big girl, and married to a strapping man who has interests all over the continent. I also know Yildor Roren has many enemies from his time as leader of one of the largest gangs in the colonies. These enemies, they’re in everyone’s backyard, and beyond our borders. I’m not surprised that his rhetoric incited so much anger. I’m also not surprised that one of our enemies, the Kasanthian known as Ryuk, would want him for whatever purpose a Kasanthian would want a Colonist. We reap what we sow, fellow colonists. If Ryuk is found, there’d be a trial and justice. He’s wanted for unlawful kidnapping. I’m sure the folks in the EEF have already made contact with Kasanth, for their actions are that of war. I’m sure Field Marshall Map’le and her teams are on it now. If I’m elected, I’d seek justice…like I always have.”

“Regarding the Sea Kings…well, they’ve been trying to invade the colonies for years. I myself have fought them off, and prevented several incursions on the colonies. Fought a few with my fellow candidate, Strykker. Man, he’s a great leader on the field. But as I was saying, I know the threat they pose. They were singularly bent on taking over the world and implementing chaos on the world and the universe. I helped freed many of their slaves over the years, and am very proud of that. But this new Sea King incursion is different. Why, you may ask? Because WarMonger isn’t the only reason they’re invading…our former Colony General Malthus personally ensured Warmonger would no longer lead these armies. So that begs the question - what is their purpose? I mean, they could be attacking us, but we have a far superior naval force (once again, thank you for that Strykker).”

“So what’s their plan? Defeat our neighbors to the north and then make their way to us?? Who knows? But unless I have intelligence on that, when who knows what the next step is? I know we have the ability to obliterate them if they come our way, but I don’t want our boys and girls having to take on that kind of fight. But don’t get me wrong, I’m ready to do it if I have to. But I want more answers. I was part of the most recent intergalactic peace treaty that currently protects this planet. I didn’t get to make any decisions, but I intend to use that experience here and determine if there’s a peaceful solution. Once I know why I’m being attacked, or know for sure that I’m not going to get one, will I make that hard call. But I won’t be alone, I have the expertise of many behind me, and I know what it’ll take to make sure we’re all safe.”

That said, the new Grand Magi up in Itash has made many positive changes up there, and I’m hoping he and his make their way through this time of trials and tribulations."

Sarrick began to spit he was so angry. “Positive changes? Positive changes? Since taking over Grand Magi Elijah Morte has been sitting on his arse in a damn palace! Look around, the Sea Kings should be his top priority and he should be here with a force of WarGiants Airships the whole cavalcade.

He wasn’t even I’tashi. Did you know that Elijah Morte was a Tarrisian Bodyguard to an I’tashi Peacelord? He was a slave, and led the uprising, but he is currently just sitting on his laurels. A real I’tashi citizen should be leading this Alliance.”

Peacebringer Obrien coughed, “That is bordering on treason, my lord.”

“I’m just talking shit,” admitted St.Johns, “I want our leader to be here by our side supporting us…”

Ani G leaned back asking, “Do you think Candidate W is right? Is there a reason the Sea Kings are here attacking us?”

Sarrick St.Johns said, “They want our land, our food, and our women and children and us as slaves. They have a slave based economy and they get richer and more powerful the more slaves and land they control. They are no better than the I’tashis were under the old Grand Magi, and no better than Boriel’s Loyalists are today.”

Ran gave Ani G a strange look and then said, “Who is the next giving the speeches?”

Ani G looked at the scroll at the bottom of the screen and read out, “Some olgog named Daron?”

Obrien asked, “Isn’t the Lucky Fate working security and promotion for Daron’s campaign?”

Ani G said, “Its true, but I didn’t want to make anybody uncomforable. It has been a good paying gig so far.”

“Is it true he used to be a slave of Borvis?” asked St.Johns.

“Yes,” said Ani G, “A Borvian Dragon.”

“Nice.” said St.Johns and Obrien in unison.

Daron got up to the podium and began, “Let us Stand together today. Security, Trade, Access, Nation, and Determination. The recent events are as true as every.

First, I hope for the Safe return of Roren from the clutches of the War Criminal Ryuk. Just to be labeled a war criminal means they are a danger to all, not just their targets. Last week was Roren, tomorrow he could target another political candidate, or even the people of the colonies. Ryuk is a danger to all and must be caught swiftly and brought to justice.

As for Buffy Strikker, we don’t know if she was involved or kidnapped as well. It is important people are not found guilty before any facts are found. Right now, Buffy is a possible kidnap victim of the War Criminal Ryuk or in the wrong place at the wrong time. If later she is found to be involved, I would expect it to be handled through evidence and a fair trial.

My thoughts are with the Strikker and Roren campaigns that their people are return to them quickly and safely. I expect the EEF with make sure they are returned.

Let us STAND with Roren, Buffy and their families through this hard time. Everyone deserves Security and safety of their family. Even people who don’t always agree with.

Now let us talk about the Sea kings and their invasion of the north. While the warmonger no longer leads the sea kings to attack due to the great work of the prior colony general efforts, the sea kings still attack this continent.

We as the Colonies, need the security of peace on our borders. Without the Security, there cannot be trade or prosperity of the people. Without Security, those in the north will suffer. And if the Northern Kingdom fall, the sea kings may look to the south.

The Sea Kings respect strength, it will take strength to get them to consider their actions and bring them to the table. We need to find out why they attack? There maybe reasons they still fight and I doubt they are simple. Do they not have food or resources in their lands? Are the sea kings themselves in a civil war or vying for power now that their Leader, the Warmonger, is dead?

So we have a chance today to turn a former enemy into a friend.

First, we offer help to the I’tashi’s. In the form of aid to their people, and aid in stopping the Sea Kings forces if I’tashi’s participate in talks with the sea kings that rearrange. Don’t won’t get involved in a war where neither side wants us there.

Next, STAND with the people. Bring the aid to help the common people. They are the ones who will remember it was us who helped them in their time of need. This will help bring peace and good will for generations.

Then Inform the sea kings we may get involved if they continue their attacks. We remember their attack on us in the Glacial wastes and see them preparing to attack us on the other coast. Tell them we recommend all sides sit for talks otherwise we maybe forced to act.

Threat of involvement from the Colonies and the EEF should enough to bring everyone to the table to talk. If the Sea kings don’t stop, remind them why they should through a display of force. Then recommend talks again.

Lastly Talk. Talking is the only real long term solution. Everything prior to this was just to get sides to talk. Find out why the Sea Kings continue to fight. Find an agreement to bring peace between not only the sea kings and the Itashi’s, but also with us. We maybe able to stop the next war before it starts.

Only with Understanding will be see peace and then receive the security we desire on our northern border and the ability to expand trade and access with the north.

We as One can STAND together and bring peace and make Refuge a safer place for us and our families.”

Obrien had tears in his eyes, “I’d stand with him. Why don’t we have politicians like that up here in the NK?”

Sarrick St.Johns sneered and said, “Because all the politicians died during the Border Wars.”

Obrien replied, “Hey once we are done here Ani G, I’d like to return with you to the south and see more of Daron’s campaign.”

Ani G didn’t answer instead saying, “Hey look the next candidate is coming on.”

Trying to keep the convo with Ani G going, Obrien said, “This guy I hear was on the Der’al Collective council for a while. An Olgog trader told me that the DC even had laws supporting slavery?”

“It is true,” confirmed Sarrick St.Johns, “I petitioned Grand Magi Morte to allow me to lead a liberation force to free the slaves in the south, but he refused saying the Border Wars were just over and he would not restart them in another kingdoms lands.”

“Politics,” they all said in unison.

Captain Oliver rose to the podium and said, "My fellow Colonials.

There has been a terrible crime committed. That terrible crime is the attempt by outside forces to affect a candidate of this campaign. Candidate Roren might be a racist and rancid old crone, but he deserved to get to the ballot box unmolested.

That is the promise of democracy! That is the promise that a vote brings.

That all options are on the table.

I feel that the perps involved should be gone after to the full extent of the law. I am concerned to hear that Candidate Strykker’s sibling was seen close to the candidate by reputable sources. If Strykker is not involved I will ask that he step down in the run for Colony General and return to his role as Field Marshall to avoid any question of his intentions.

If he is involved, the EEF should hang him for treason. Which is what I believe should happen to anyone involved in this kidnapping. Especially this Ryuk. He has wiped out a solar system. Why has this villain not been apprehended by the authorities yet?

There is another threat that we must attend to. The Sea Kings. Right now they have a beachhead at I’tash, at Makuf, and at Hobtla Mag’ol. This cannot be allowed to continue. I propose we organize a new force.

I know I can hire on the Kolgul Militia and their Elogan Armies to provide a full mercenary army that can face the Sea Kings at these three Beachheads. The Elogan Armies the KGM uses believe in slavery, so if they are captured by the Sea Kings and enslaved we do not have to send in rescue parties to save them…unlike our brave and heroic EEF soldiers who we would absolutely never leave behind!"

That got him some applause from the audience.

"I suggest we force open the Tarrisian Weapon Vaults. Break out some Xenu-Class Burrowers, and deliver our new KGM and Elogan friends directly to the front and sit back and let them do their work.

And before you worry how we will pay for it, we will make the Sea Kings pay for it!"

More applause.

“Now I need to become Colony General to make this solution a reality. I call it the KGM Protocol. And I will implement it immediately upon my rise to Colony General. In fact, I have faith that we can end the loss of the truly valuable lives of our brave EEFers against those Sea Kings dogs. I will end the loss of our EEFers lives, while trying to guarantee the lives of all our Colonial brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, friends and family.”

As Captain Oliver left the podium, Obrien said, “There is something about the way that guy talks that reminds me of the Old EEF Spymaster. I worked for the Old Vlad once, on a mission in the heart of Tal Hanon. But that was long before my freedom, when I was still a slave of Lord I’tash. Maybe I am just misremembering, the Old Vlad was an Earther, and this guy is an Olgog. What do you think of this KGM protocol sir?”

“Mercs could hold back the Sea Kings,” St.Johns said with pride, “After all that is a modified version of my plan. I kinda wish I had thought about hiring on the Elogans. They would have made good shock troops to retake the beaches.

Speaking of which, I believe we have bought the Artillery Captain more than enough time to line up the cannon. Obrien the commcrystal!”

Obrien handed Sarrick St.Johns the commcrystal who spoke quickly and proudly, “Artillery Captain, is the Proteus ready?”

The artillery captain replied, “Yes, Sir, in position, loaded and aimed sir. But sir we have a problem.”

“Speak true, what is the problem?” asked St.Johns.

“Old One Eye was smart, and has built up the cover and the surrounding land. We cannot get a clear shot at his Flagship, nor his allies boats. In fact, the best we could do is launch our cannon balls to strike their sandstone walls of their fort-line. They are buttoned up tighter than my cousins’ knickers,” said the Artillery Captain with a snort.

“Then we must draw them out!” said Sarrick.

And that was day one of what became a lengthy seige. The first week was spent staring over the walls of Fort Dissent at the sandy beaches and the entrenched forces. Not a soul stirred or moved into the target zone between. Yet the same was for Fort Dissent, without a single soul lost, because not a single person was attacked on either side.

Part 2: The Proteus Cannon Sounds!

Lady Xantinus wasn’t always a Knight of Wintermute, born (a Vlahadassi) in the Earther Colony of Zelga Xantinus was obsessed with cartoons, She loved all kinds of animation and as she grew up she wanted to become a professional animator. Sadly her dreams were dashed when told (repeatedly) that her drawing skills were rather crap. Xantinus was distraught, she vowed that day that if she couldn’t animate, she would reanimate!

She dedicated herself to the study of Necromancy and after learning it, she invaded the local television station and killed everyone except the cameraman. She raised the staff as Zombies and forced the cameraman to film her new puppet shows, Xantinus thought it was going very well until the local authorities arrived and arrested her. Xantinus agreed to convert the staff back to life as part of a plea deal to reduce her sentence and after ten years in jail was released.

Xantinus went north to the Northern Kingdoms hoping to find a place where her necromatic puppet shows would be accepted (and not illegal) as luck would have it, shortly after arriving in the north the Border Wars started.

Fleeing with other refugees she arrived in the newly constructed city of Wintermute where she was delighted to find out that her love of raising undead was not only accepted but celebrated. She agreed to serve in the Wintermute army in exchange for training as a Reanimator and a rank of Nobility and served honorably in several battled before the war ended.

Xantinus settled in her new life as a Noble of Wintermute and started her own specialized puppet show. She raised two Growlings who would preform for children, over the course of the show she would attach different animal parts and props to the Growlings as the setting of the show demanded. While never hugely popular Xantinus had a small but loyal following which made her happy.

When the Sea Kings invaded and established a beach head the Council of Wintermute was divided on how to respond. Most of the Council believed that this was an Itashi problem, Wintermute had enough of it’s own issues and without a formal request for aid they shouldn’t do anything.

Lord Hassan however grew concerned about the growing divide between many of his citizens and the rest of the Itashi Alliance. Lord Hassan ordered the Council to send someone to investigate the Sea King incursion to see how serious it was. The Council reluctantly agreed but didn’t want to send their professional agents to what they considered a foreign problem, one of the council members was walking home when he passed by the puppet show of Xantinus and was reminded that she fought in the war. Thinking, “why not” he approached her after the show and informed her that she had been chosen for an important mission. She would head to Fort Dissent and aid Wintermute’s allies and investigate the Sea King presence. He assured her that she had the full confidence of both the Council and Lord Hassan who had all personally chosen her for this important mission.

Lady Xantinus’ swelled with pride! Her talents would be put to use and recognized once again! Packing for the trip she mounted her undead horse and traveled the long distance to Fort Dissent just in time to hear Sarrick short but inspirational speech.

Sarrick looked out among the warriors, heroes and mercs he had hired and said, “Free Men and Free Women, welcome to Fort Dissent. I am St.Johns and I plan on holding back the Sea Kings and preventing them from marching on the capitol city. If Fort Dissent holds, then the cities will be safe. If Fort Dissent falls. Expect slavery and chains once again.”

She introduced herself, "I am Lady Xantinus, Knight of Wintermute I give my solemn oath that the Sea Kings will be driven back to the sea itself!

Sarrick St.Johns replied, "well met Lady Xantinus. S. St.John at your service My Lady.

I have a plan but I’m missing some of it. I can fire off a pair of Proteus strikes at their beachhead’s oncoming forces. But I’m not sure how to push forward once we make our strike!"

Lady Xantinus pause a moment to think, "I am not as familar with Proteus cannons, however if the enemy’s bodies are somewhat intact I can raise them as undead. That could distract the enemy allowing your troops to advance. If their bodies are torn apart I can make something with the remains if you can provide me with some protection.”

Sarrick St.Johns smiled and bowed and said, "M’Lady I will personally guarantee your safety. I trained as a Panzer Knight under Synfelt Von Groont during the Border Wars. My own sword shall defend you.

If in between my strikes you raise the dead as your warriors it will give us some cannon fodder. It is too bad we have no volunteers to push back the forces at the beach itself. But maybe we should just be happy with holding the fort walls."

At the time Lady Xantinus had been quite flattered by the offer from the obviously brave leader of Fort Dissent.

But now days later, deep into the siege, looking at how few mercs had come, Lady Xantinus had to pump herself up to face the oncoming Sea Kings armies.

Lady Xantinus was a little bummed that no one else came to defend the fort, but at the same time she had more room to shine!
It seemed the Sea Kings would not charge their position, as if they knew the weapon pointed at the no man’s land between them.

On the lower walls of Fort Dissent, near the gate, stood Lady Xantinus and Panzer Knight Sarrick St.Johns. With his artificed crystal activated, St. Johns was eight feet tall, covered in armor plates that looked like shining pearl. In his hands was a sword as tall as he was, and nearly as broad. The sword had a nightmare eye, encased in amber, in its pommel, and was reinforced by the bones of swordfiends.

The Panzer Knight leaned down to her, “The day for battle has finally come, M’Lady.

While Old One Eye does not stir from behind his walls, another Sea Kings vessel has come across the great sea to join them. It was one of their wooden carrier craft, but it bore no Ziggurat upon it, instead it was layer and layer of housing for an army. This vessel moored offshore and has been letting off soldiers ever since. A grand force of ten Sea Kings illuminated have marched off with 1,000 Cambions and ten thousand enslaved Olgogs.

I have seen them. They are dressed in armor not commonly seen on these shores. Discs of metal, held in place by nightmare hide leather bindings. There is a crudeness to the armor discs that resemble the same crudeness of the cambion girder swords.”

Lady Xantinus looked at the small group of defenders at the Fort and wondered if they really had a chance.

Then the Cambion and Olgog armies streamed sideways along the Fort Walls, seemingly not yet trusted by Old One Eye’s fortress.

These new soldiers arriving on the field of battle were terrifyingly impressive. The front line of the army was the Cambions, one thousand strong. They stretched from one end of the beach to the other. Behind them were the Olgogs and they were dressed in similar armor, albeit much smaller in size. The Olgogs looked like a cross between Unenese and Karovians.

One Illuminated lead the army, his eye had been put out by a branding iron. Despite this disability he stood proudly before reciting his pronouncement, “The Great Pirate King Amm’t T’Shesh, great grandson of Mar’un’ga and Yvhv. Executioner of the Impure. And Heir to all the holdings of the K’ias Empire and the Sea Kings. Be Blessed with his message.”

The Illuminated slammed his hands down on the sands and the sands began to shift and move. They rose up into a moving statue of a massive cambion warrior. The Cambion Pirate King was majestic and menacing at the same time.

The voice that came forth from a massive commcrystal around the neck of the Illuminated messenger with the missing eye was a voice of strength and barely restrained rage.

“I’tashis, flee now, if you survive this battle you will only see worse threats as the days go onward,” said the voice of Pirate King T’Shesh, “This army is but a small gift for One Eye Willie Kal I’tash. They will serve and die to attack your enemies. And this is but a small taste of the army that has sworn its loyalty to me.

I’tashis prepare to die, and if you do not die, you will become slaves.”

Then the statue fell back to sand, and the army was in motion.

One by one the Olgogs in the first two ranks charged forward, into the arms of the cambions at the lead. The cambions hurled the Olgogs up and into the air. This aerial attack was completely unexpected by Sarrick St.Johns, but luckily in that moment Ani G was ready with the anti-air guns.

The machineguns tore flesh from the Olgogs in the air, preventing the wave of attackers from reaching the walls of the fort.

“Remind me to thank Ani G and the Lucky Fate,” said St.Johns as he plunged his sword into one of the few olgogs who had survived the AA guns.

Lady Xantinus reached out and reanimated the closest dead into a bodyguard unit to defend herself and St.Johns as he cut down the remaining Olgogs. But over one hundred Sea Kings slave-soldiers were already dead on the battlefield, and the Proteus had not yet fired.

Sarrick St.Johns grabbed his own commcrystal yelling, “Artillery Captain, Fire NOW!!!”

There was a strange noise, as a wave of orbs fired from the artillery enclosure nearby.

The orbs flew out, and Sarrick watched as artificed shields dropped on the cambion soldiers and their Olgog slaves alike. A few of the orbs struck people and knocked them over, but the first wave seemed to do little more than confuse the massive army.

The next wave had a different sound, and where the orbs struck, walls of pikes sprung up. The Cambions were barely injured, but many of the Olgog slaves were punctured quickly and efficiently. This stopped the Olgog charge forward, and prevented them from reaching the Cambions who would send them airbourne. The Cambions tried to smash the pikes, but unless the orbs were smashed, the pikes just kept growing back.

As the Sea Kings army struggled on the beach, the third wave was fired. Where this one passed, Olgogs and Cambions alike grabbed themselves and fell over as their hearts cooked from the inside out. In that one strike the entire army was devastated.

The final wave passed through the mostly dead army, and twisted and drove the metal of their armor through their flesh, just making sure none of the dead on the battlefield would rise again through regeneration.

Lady Xantinus was ready, raising the still steaming Olgog corpses as undead instead and turning them towards the fort. Over the course of the next 48 hours, she turned a large enough percentage of the dead on the battlefield into undead who were beseiging the fort-line of the Sea Kings.

The Seige continued, and the Proteus was held in reserve its second shot loaded, all four waves ready if another force attacked.

Part 3: Remmie sees some strange things by air

Remmie was hidden in the form of Ran, and flying over the battlefield. He was ready to begin dropping firebombs onto the lines of Old One Eye, when a new vessel approached. Remmie reported it back to S.St.Johns and the defenders at Fort Dissent.

Onboard his glider he was protected from much of the worries of the battlefield below. When he watched the Slave-armies of King T’Shesh take their positions, he was worried. Then he saw how dangerous a Proteus cannon really was. It was devastating and it allowed Remmie to simply fly his Glider in a higher scouting position.

The army was done, and Remmie smiled.

Then he noticed motion aboard the large wooden vessel the T’Sheshites had arrived on. Canvas was pulled away to reveal a massive cannon of earther design. Remmie saw there were Warmonger’s Dead onboard operating the weapon, and it looked large enough to destroy the fort in a single strike.

Remmie grabbed his Glider’s control crystal and used it to give himself a push in the right direction and he began a steep dive towards the deck. He pulled up dropping fire bombs, and killing one of the Warmonger’s Dead crew and slowing down the loading.

As he pulled up, he could see another fire a magi cannon off his bow. He didn’t expect to be facing that type of firepower.

Yet before the technological cannon sounded an answer to the Proteus, there was a large shadow in the deep waters under the T’Sheshite vessel.

Remmie watched as multiple large monsterous lizard-like nightmare heads rose from the water. At first he thought multiple sea serpents were attacking the T’Sheshite vessel, then he realized they were the tentacles of giant squid-like nightmare giant monster. They wrapped around the T’Sheshite vessel and pulled it under the water, destroying it and the technological cannon in the sound of crushing metal and wood.

Remmie knew he had to report this back to Spymaster Lurtor and possible the Special Forces groups. A monster of that size was a threat to all.

As Remmie landed in his Ran form, he heard wooping and cheers.

“There is a temporary truce,” cheered former Peacebringer Waylon Obrien, “We hit em hard enough they agreed to the truce meetings as well. Its being held on some Barris Islands or something like that. But we won and Fort Dissent survived!”

Epilogue: We don’t control our spouses.

Yildor Roren stepped up to the podium. His suit was torn, ripped, and had blood stains on it. There was a patch with a burn from an energy weapon. Yet his face was unblemished, and body seemed more firm than even before.

“Colonies First,” he chanted, “Colonies First, Colonies First, Colonies First!”

He got his supporters in the crowd to repeat it loud enough that it seemed for the holonet cameras there was a full crowd yelling it.

“Now today, like many days in the past, I have been attacked. But unlike the media attacking me in past days. Today’s attack was real and physical and put my life in dear jeopardy.

If not for the rapid action of EEF Special Force, bless them, I would not be standing before you today.

I would like to tell you a story.

It is a story about a young man who knew these colonies could and should be the greatest thing about Refuge. I was that young man, and I watched first the Border Wars, then the Space Campaigns drain the Colonial coffers. Then we were wasting funding on military expansions in the south lands and expeditions to the frozen north, right next to an area controlled by long time enemies.

Every time, these beautiful, perfect and valiant colonies were eclipsed. I will not stand for it ANYMORE! It is time to make these Colonies FIRST! It is time to put our COLONIES first.

Let the I’tashis and the Sea kings batter each other forever. THEY ARE BOTH OUR ENEMIES.
We gain nothing by brokering a peace between them.

But we should look suspiciously at Jeremiah Strykker, the man who wants to sell us out to our enemies. Do not believe me…?

Watch this. This was a portion of my kidnapping. In these videos taken from my person security camera recording you will see both Ryuk of the TRILAT, and Buffy McGraw-Strykker. I want you to look closely at this recording and at What Buffy says.”

A miniprojector started up and showed the scene at Old Epoch, and Buffy jumped up and down like an excited school girl. “Oh Yildor, Yildor, Yildor! I got some plans kill ya, kill ya, kill ya.”

He repeated the video enough times to make it uncomfortable. The crowd starts yelling, “Lock her up! Lock her up!”

Yildor makes a point of not stopping them as he continues speaking, “After you watch this tell me, is this how the EEF will handle local elections too? Send in family members to eliminate those candidates they don’t like. If you are a candidate of the colonies for any political office, I ask you. To remember these words!”

Again Buffy’s voice repeated.

Yildor said, “I will give this recording over to the EEF for their investigation and they can confirm it is not doctored and not altered. I am lucky to be alive and stand before you.”

Later that week when the EEF confirmed the recordings were real and unaltered, the holonet news tracked down Eli McGraw.

Reporter Brett Sun started the interview out in front of the snow covered government building of McGraw Harbor.

“This is Brett Sun with the Kalino Holonet News, and I would like to ask you, Mayor Eli McGraw of McGraw Harbor, why did your wife try to harm Candidate Roren?”

Eli sighs as he keeps it short “Yeah, Buffy and me have a slight history with the 99ers. Not a good history all things considering they’re a bunch thugs who tried to ruin our lives. Honestly, she wouldn’t kidnap Yildor Roren. Where would she put him? Plus the bounty on him is not worth the trouble.”

“Ryuk on the other hand… his bounty would be worth the trouble. It has so many zeroes in it that makes my head spin. Or would have if my life took a different turn…never mind. Look, I know you want to know more. Ain’t getting it from me and I got 99ers trying ruin my day!” he shouted.

The Reporter said, “So your defense is your wife was trying to take the bounty on Ryuk’s head?
You heard it first here folks, Mayor McGraw’s wife is running Bounty Hunting operations in the colonies. Keep your heads down if you are on any of the local bounty boards.”

“This is like my honeymoon all over again! Damn it.” could be heard in the background of the broadcast.

Rewards:

All candidate characters may gain +1 to their Charisma (cannot exceed racial max) OR they gain +1 Emotional Control. Player choice.

All candidate characters may now deploy The Campaign HoverBus. This vehicle is a customizable vehicle for a candidate along with Impartial EEF Driver/Bodyguard. It will take the characters to/from official events since the kidnapping. This vehicle has V.A.R. 20 vs Melee, 35 vs Melee, 35 vs Energy and EP 25 and a move of 15 (Hover), 10 (Fly). Currently has 10 open weapon mounts.

All defenders of Fort Dissent gain +1 to their character’s Emotional Control. They also may select 1 Leyas ability they do not know (not Annihilation, nor Technomancy, nor other noncorebook Leyas abilities) and learn it at level 1. If they are an immutable they may select a new skill of their choice at 3.
All Defenders of Fort Dissent also gain 500 ghaz cash to spend as they wish.

Remmie gains The Merc Glider. In honor of his success on the field of battle, Remmie was honored by Lord Boriel with the Glider. It can now be used in future missions. The Glider is also upgraded with a Boriel Model Magi Cannon (6d6 Energy dmg, or 6d6 Chill Dmg, or 6d6 Pain dmg). He also learns of the HydraKraken (but does not know its a Vehicle and does NOT know its owned by Ryuk’s Rabble)

Eli McGraw gains New Contact: Brett Sun, Reporter by Day. The Kalino Holonet News is a newer organization trying to make its name. Brett will help with interviews and getting certain types of covert information. Brett also sets up Holonet displays across McGraw Harbor which has raised the morale of the entire settlement (+1 bonus to knowledge checks and knowledge skills for McGraw harbor residents).

Lucia M. Largonel gains Rabbles’ Respect. All Rabble members gain the same bonus when Lucia is around as when Ryuk is around. She also gains Pilot (WarGiant) of 3.

FIeld Marshall Strykker, Herald of Wintermute, and others should access this thread as appropriate http://dr-forum.whitestarhosting.net/showthread.php?1908-The-Barris-Islands-Meeting-at-Omega-Island&p=12962#post12962