TSGL3 Week 11 Event: Hatred in the Hearts of Men and Gogs

Prologue

Dalton Sm’eg ran his fingers through his thick green fur. Catching a small parasite, he crushed its head between his fingers and popped it into his mouth. Savoring the slightly salty flavor for a moment, he thought back to when he had first seen one of the little yigul. It had been ten years ago, just a boy-child whose entire family had been slaughtered by Oners outside the now ruined town of Jamesville. He had been dragged into a death camp run by the Oners, and tossed into a sandy pit filled with malnourished olgog prisoners.

Everyone was infested with the yiguls. The little sand parasites would rarely cause problems for Olgogs out on the nomadic trail, grooming and removing the parasites before they could take hold was a normal part of nomadic living. But it did take daily grooming, something Olgogs did together. Yet at the Death Camps any physical touching between Olgogs was illegal and would instantly bring down the jailers.

Dalton remembered picking the viguls off the eyes of an elderly Olgog his first morning in the camps. The parasites had turned the poor old gog’s face into a mass of bleeding wounds, and he was desperately trying to pick the nits out of his eyes before he lost his sight permanently. Dalton had a moment of compassion, a common enough feeling in the heart of Olgogs and other species.

He began pulling away the yiguls, quickly and efficiently. Within two minutes the old gog’s eyes were clear, and he muttered his thanks, but quickly began trying to warn the young Dalton away. But it was too late.

Two Church of One Knights pulled him off the old gog, and dragged him to their leader. The leader was a young Paladin Captain, and had no patience for an Olgog who couldn’t follow the rules. Dalton remembered the camp was under review at the time a fact he didn’t understand his first time among the Earthers, but there among the assembled leaders was a single Earther Lord.

Paladin Captain Marath Deyonne had looked down at him coldly, with the uncaring gaze of a teenager. Marath had been barely seventeen at the time of their fateful meeting. Marath had been bold as a squire and became a knight at fourteen. He had saved the life of a noble Lord when their unit was overrun by natives at age sixteen and had been elevated to captain status much to the chagrin of the hundreds of thousands of knights who spent their entire life serving in hopes of a rank of captain.

As a result the knights under Captain Marath’s command were extra cruel and brutal, so angry were they to be bossed around by a lucky child.

The knights who dragged Dalton from the pit, and dragged the young Olgog across the sands didn’t know the five foot tall gog was only a child by human age standards. They pummeled him brutally in the face with their armored gauntlets every time one of his feet dared to not keep their pace.

By the time he reached Captain Marath and the leader’s tents, Dalton’s front teeth had been shattered. Bits of tusk and tooth and blood had been spit out earlier leading to another beating around the ribs. Apparently the Earthers expected him to swallow it.

Dalton was dragged in front of Maranth, and one Knight said, “One of the new ones was trying to do something to one of the old ones.”

Maranth first turned to Lord Grimaldus and said, “My apologies my Lord. This goblin came in on the newest carts. I had hoped he would be calm and cowed by seeing the holy sword of the church end their pagan demon worship.
But some of these goblins have hard hearts.”

Lord Grimaldus sighed, obviously unimpressed by the Captain’s camp and the captain in general.

Captain Marath rose from his wooden chair, and approached Dalton.

He said, “Some of your kind use demon magics to speak the tongue of Earthers, can you do this?”

Dalton replied, “I can understand your language. All except the word demon. That does not translate.”

Maranth stood back, “Exactly what I’d expect a demon-servant to say. But this means you can understand what I say. No Goblins in this camp is to lay a single finger on another goblin. You understand me.”

“I was only…” Dalton tried to be reasonable and explain.

“Do not argue with me,” roared Maranth lifting up an electric shock prod and thrusting it into Dalton’s ribs.

The olgog convulsed and screamed, as it caused even more pain from the broken ribs being mashed together by muscle spasms. Dalton fell, being held up only by the knights.

Maranth Deyonne stood before his superior and felt he had to prove his worth. Forced into a position of power far beyond his experience, the young captain decided he would make an example of Dalton so the other workers would tremble.

“No touching, means no touching,” said the Paladin Captain, “In the name of God and the Church you shall have both your hands removed.”

Dalton was pulled forward and his left arm placed over a battle drum. Maranth drew his sword and swung down with a decisive blow. The hand came off easily, bouncing into a bucket one of the squires placed there. Another squire was quick with wrapping that covered the wound preventing the spurting blood from striking any of the furnishings.

Dalton cried openly, but did not help but notice how precisely the squires moved. As if used to this.

The knights pulled his other arm forward, and the sword went up.

“Hold Captain Maranth. What sort of work will this Goblin be good for if you lop off BOTH hands?” asked Grimaldus in his own form of mercy.

“Umm…” said the Paladin Captain, perplexed and thinking for a bit, “Maybe pull a cart?”

“So you have established a punishment without regard for consequence of that punishment,” said Lord Grimaldus with an obviously disapproving tone, “I hope you don’t plan on rolling this punishment out on all the Olgogs here. I’d rather not have a camp full of lame animals.”
Dalton was dragged out of the tent by the knights, past a flock of ladies hearing one say, “Look at the Goblin’s mouth, all those bloody fangs. They must be monsters.”

Dalton was hurled into the pit again, feeling the yiguls begin flocking to the open wound on his stump.
He curled up into a fetal position cupping the wound, trying to pull the tiny parasites off him. But there were so many…

As Dalton wallowed in pain, Lord Grimaldus stood over the olgogs in the pit.

“You and your kind are lucky. The Inquisition has found no taint among you.

Therefore in my opinion you are at the very least an animal, not a demon. And an animal deserves food and shelter, and given meaningful work in the name of the Church.

Work here, do good work and at least you have a life,” said Lord Grimaldus.

Then he walked away his image burned forever into Dalton’s mind as the Lord who allowed such horror to progress.

As the years went on in the death camp, Dalton Sm’eg would always remember the man who saved his hand, not out of compassion or empathy, but because he saw him as a farm animal who should be worked to death.

Part 1: The MDK Regulates in Absalom

“Maybe we shouldn’t use the huge robot poop monkey,” suggested Naeil.

Hekeriki was thoughtful. “Really? Maybe you’re right. Everything we seem to do just fails.”

“Yeah. But you know what? We got to get lucky sometime.”

“Life really doesn’t work like that. Anyhow, I’ll get the Metal Discord Kuo’lo (MDK) ready and going then,” smiled Hekeriki.

Ani G, Toriel, Fundisha and Heart Attack climbed into the cockpit with Naeil.

Ani G had a grin. “Fools rush in.”

The massive metal Kuelo robot arrived over the Manorhouse of Lord Deyonne and landed. It was only because the EEF and local forces had been expecting the diplomats that the MDK wasn’t shot from the sky.

As Ani G calmed down the local defense forces over the radio, Naeil wondered if she should formally request some sort of flight pass for the MDK like the Airship and AAV captains up in the Colonies ask for. Then again the EEF would ask to inspect it then…but that may be a good idea. Naeil knew that she knew very little about their new vehicle. Hekeriki seemed to trust it implicitly but some of its capabilities scared the heck out of Naeil.

The giant robot Kuelo opened its hands, and Lucky Fate Squad Gunners climbed down and set up a defensive perimeter around the robot.

Considering Lord Grimaldus’ own defense force was not fully mobilized yet, other than the original knights who received the hostage takers demands, the Lucky Fate Gang was first on the scene.

Dreg, Graf and Rum-Blood of the Outcasts Mercenary Group arrived with them. They were amazed at the speed of the massive robot kuelo. It was a much faster flyer than expected, and traversed the Unenese Coast rapidly enough to conern them. They were happy it was in the hands of an ally.

They were met by an Olgog dressed in faded military fatigues. He was wearing heavy shock gauntlets that covered his arms up to the forearms, and carried a magi cannon with UtR Markings.

Naeil said, “Hi, I’m Naeil of the Lucky Fate Gang, this is Dreg and Graf from the Outcasts. We are here to negotiate. We got here early enough I hope to stop any killing?”

She pointed at the giant robot.

The Olgog she faced off against simply nodded, “Yes, I am Sm’eg, and I can tell you the hostages put aside for Unen will be removed from the kill list.”

“No I don’t think you get it Sm’eg,” said Naeil, “We are here to stop ALL the killing.”

Sm’eg said, “Come in and I will attempt to explain.”

The Olgog led them into the house and they passed by militant Olgogs carrying a variety of weapons scavenged from the past three years battles. Naeil saw the weary expressions on most of the “Pureblood” Faces, she wondered if these were the happy murderers she had been led to believe.

Sm’eg said, “We have a double back up system. As you are entering the manor house, your faces are being recorded by our agents. They are then radioing to the soldiers standing next to the hostages.
I’m here to handle negotiation, so that way if you take me and my team hostage, the soldiers next to the hostages will know to kill them all.

Unfortunately it also means I cannot push back the clock on the hostages lives. Only the diplomats arriving and our needs being met will do that.

Now again I regret that we have been pushed this far, but already how many new Provisional Colonies have been built on Olgog lands??? There is the United Tribes, but they don’t provide any way for Olgogs to choose their own leaders. At least they are Olgogs. In Deryyanheim a Bastard rules over Olgogs with an unlimited term of office, and in Zh’ka’al the Quall own the Olgogs.

None of the Provisional Colonies actually represent Olgog interests. And PureBlood Olgogs know this in their heart.”

Suddenly they were interrupted by the crackle of a radio.

“Sm’eg, this is Caltrop, what is the word on Unen?” asked the hostage taker on the other side.

“Caltrop, Unen is here to negotiate, please confirm that the you have pulled that room from the kill orders,” asked Sm’eg picking up the radio.

“Yep, just Karov, Tla’loc’al and Brez have each had one person pulled,” said Caltrop’s voice on the other side, “Any sign of the AAV?”

“Not yet,” replied Sm’eg.

“So folks,” said Sm’eg, “Let’s start some negotiations.”

Part 2: The Screams of Irony

The radio on the table began with the sound of a bubbling, and Smeg described what was happening.

“You see, I don’t want you to think this is your fault for being late, It is simply the agreed upon plan.

There is a bucket of acid being poured upon five of the hostages right now. Each one will be stripped off all bones by the type of acid we are using. No ash, nothing remaining to resurrect. Just a pool of liquid mush combined with all the other human mush.

As the room is filled, another five will be dropped in from a ledge.”

The sounds of men and women screaming began to filter through the radio speaker.

Of the three newest diplomats who had come in after the negotiations were hours underway, Auf Lalyan seemed the most uncomfortable.

“I am Auf Laylan of the Herd of Auf Lal’al and second to council gog Auf Lalder. My friend is MagGulGol. This is not the way to settle this. You will only further those who wish war by this. Please don’t kill anyone… and leave. I will negotiate your release if a peaceful solution can be found. I cannot promise one, but I can try.”

Naeil agree, “Listen Sm’eg you don’t have to do this…”

“I already explained,” said Sm’eg, “Even if I did agree with you about harming the corrupt lords and ladies of Dunesphere, there is nothing I can do or say that will stop the executions. The system we have in place doesn’t allow for anyone in the line to make those decisions.”

The five voices screaming had ended, and suddenly the sound of a new set of five people sobbing came through the radio.

“The next five are lined up, one for Lord Grimy, one for the EEF, one for Karov, one for Tla’loc’al, and one for Brez,” said Caltrop’s voice from the other side of the radio.

Auf Lalyan said “But what about the Tor’lallur diplomat? He’s Karovian?”

Tor’og primary hunter and leader of Tor’Lallur rarely left his ancestral lands however when he was told of the news of the hostage situation, he came to see what would happen.

“Tor’og no care bout Earth-gor, just came see what happen. Tor’og support what Nine support. Tor’og not big on talk, prefer action. Tor’og not sure what say here.”

Auf Lalyon looked to the Nine’s diplomat for support only to find the chair empty, the diplomat having snuck away to the bathroom.

There was a flash of leyas energy, and suddenly a dark clad earther woman appeared.

Sm’eg raised up his rifle and pointed it at the newcomer.

“Who the fuck are you, Earther?” asked the Olgog.

Agent Candy stepped forward grabbed the diplomat’s open chair and sat down. From her own shadows she withdrew a bag of popcorn. She began munching on the bag of popcorn in the most offensive manner to the assembled Olgog leaders.

Naeil said, “Okay so I recognize this bitch. She’s like Krodnok, a self-appointed god. I think she is the Cult of Candy or something like that.”

There was a very very uncomfortable moment as the PureBloods waited for the Earther being to do something… anything. Yet even as the moments ticked away waiting to see what this Earther who teleported into a very tense hostage negotiation would do, the sounds of the radio continued. The bubbling, the melting, the screaming of the dying hostages.

When the last scream of this set of hostages ended, and Candy had done nothing, there was an uncomfortable moment.

Then the door to the restrooms opened and out walked Urder Gul. He was juggling balls of toilet paper, and was munching on what seemed like a soap bar.

“This rest room provides little rest, but the swirling pools are quite cool and calming. This brick of suds is not a good snack, you may want to have a talking to the cook that prepared it,” said Urder Gul coming closer, “Has the Lord Grimaldus arrived yet?”

“No,” said Auf Lalyan, “And the PureBloods have killed ten hostages while you were in the bathroom.”

“Not surprising,” said Urder Gul, “They were clear in their demands on the timing of killings if the negotiators did not come here quickly. Naeil and the Lucky Fate Gang got here from all the way Unen faster than it is taking Lord G from walking the twenty blocks from the Lord’s Manor to here.”

“But people are dying,” retorted Auf Lalyan.

“Yes they are. Olgogs have been dying in the streets of this city for the past few days,” said Urder Gul, “Are those many dead worth less somehow than the ten?”

“No thats not my point,” said Auf Lalyan, “More death here only encourages those who want continued war is my point.”

Urder Gul walked over to the window and climbed up to look out.

“I would say those who want war are already here,” said the little olgog pointing out at the seeming army that had surrounded the Manor while negotiations had been happening.

Lord Grimaldus and Paladin Commander Durandal with Ascendus unsheathed in his hand were standing right outside the house.

Outside the building five hundred Paladins, ten intimidating steam tanks and twenty Inquisitors armed with pistols and swords and grenades made the Absalom response quite official.

Lord Grimaldus and his Paladin Commander entered the Manor house and reached the negotiation room quite quickly.

Sm’eg looked upon Lord Grimaldus and smiled, and then asked, “Was the army outside really necessary? After all you have ten tanks out there…you could just start shelling now and just clean us all up…”

Lord Grimaldus responded without even recognizing the Olgog, and said, “I entered the building with one other, now on to more important things.”

“Yes the negotiations…about getting some real representation in these Provisional Colonies,” said Sm’eg.

Lord Grimaldus said, "I am Lord Grimaldus, duly appointed leader of the Provisional Colonies of Absolum and Hebron.

You have violated the law and have murdered people who had no ability to fight back.

Know first that I have not authorized any AAV to be here, and none of us will leave here until I am satisfied. I will also not step down as the leader of these provisional colonies.

Now, when the provisional status ends I will speak to the Colonial General and we will decide upon the details on the future of these two colonies. Murdering people will not change anything, I will however offer to set up a council that can represent the varied population. This council will have input in the future of the colonies when we have gone beyond our provisional status.

However before this council can be set up one thing must happen. Every member of the Purebloods here must surrender themselves and face trail for their crimes. You will all drop weapons upon the ground and walk outside peacefully and surrender yourselves to the soldiers outside.

You will face trial and allowed a defense like any colonial citizen, if found guilty you will face justice decided by me, if found not guilty you will be allowed to leave."

“Interesting,” said Sm’eg, “It is good to know that Olgogs must once again submit themselves for punishment to Earthers.”

“Do you accept and surrender?” asked Paladin Commander Durandel.

Sm’eg said, “I guess you didn’t do much research on us. We do not accept your terms, and if you come here to bark orders instead of for a negotiation then you might as well just order your tanks to start firing.”

The voice of Caltrop came over the radio, “Next Five up for the dip.”

Sm’eg explained that he couldn’t stop the process even if they wanted to. Once again he reiterated that the facts. Short of their terms being met, there would be a steady supply of earthers dumped into the acid.

Lord Grimaldus was livid. The idea that this Olgog would dare hold him to a time table for their negotiation. The idea that this Olgog would actually demand anything from him was disgusting.
Again these animals spurn his constant generosity.

He was tempted to order the cannons to fire. But he knew if he simply waited, he could honestly tell all that the murderous Olgogs had been the killers. He sat down at the proffered chair at the negotiation table.

Part 3: An AAV and a Church of One Zealot

Sm’eg lifted up a small can of water and began to drink slowly. Already another hour of negotiations had passed, and he was tired of hearing of the cries of death.

Again he was happy that Caltrop had devised this elaborate scheme for the hostages, otherwise Sm’eg would have at least called off the killing while the negotiations were under way.

The Karovians had sent Yalar Took, Matron of the Yagogi. She seemed fully in the pocket of the Earthers to Sm’eg. Every time, the PureBlood negotiator brought it around to Lord Grimaldus stepping down and formally accepting a barring from serving in office, she was the first to shoot it down.

Sm’eg frankly didn’t like her, but at least he felt he had the support of the Outcasts. Dreg and Graf were pushing for them to decide on specifics of who could vote and who could be nominated.

Already they had negotiated that all citizens of Absalom and Hebron would get an equal vote. Now they were arguing over who would count as citizens. Lord Grimaldus was worried about transient populations of Karovians and Brezans altering the vote counts by simply setting up tents on the edges of the Provisional Colony. At the same time, the Karovians and Brezans whose nomadic lands and lifestyle had been overwritten by colonial boundaries needed to be counted as citizens.

It was at this tense moment in negotiations that the entire proceedings were interrupted by something going on outside.

An AAV was settling down on the roof, and the EEF soldier who piloted it, rappelled down the side of the building. It sounded like he had left the keys in the ignition to Sm’eg.

“Good, good, now that the EEF has seen the light of reason, we can put a stop to the killing,” said Sm’eg.

He picked up the radio and asked, “Hey Caltrop, did you get the video feed of the AAV landing? Condition 5 is met, we can stop the executions.”

He realized the radio on the other side was off, had been off for at least ten minutes. Finally it clicked back on.

Caltrop’s voice replied slowly, “Brez still hasn’t sent its representatives. Zh’ka’al sent nobody and nobody came from Deryyanheim. Another 10 have been sent into the dunk tank, hopefully their God accepts them.”

“We have the AAV, Caltrop, we have even gotten the first steps towards a colony leadership that represents Olgogs, the captured Lords and Ladies were only the leverage to make that happen.
To keep killing would be a bad, bad idea,” Sm’eg demanded.

“I will gather ten of the Lords and Ladies and bring them aboard the AAV. That way the Humans don’t try a double cross,” said Caltrop’s voice dryly, “The rest you can hand over to Lord Grimy, you weak weak gog.”

Urder Gul said, “It seems your subordinates may be going rogue Sm’eg. You and I both know if your Olgogs try and leave with the hostages before an agreement is reached, I will pull the very skies down around you.”

Sm’eg stopped and said, “Caltrop was one of our main strategists, Urder Gul. I will have to assume he knows what he is doing. I ask that you hold your hand mighty representative of the Nine. Caltrop has not yet harmed the ten he has taken.”

Sm’eg grabbed the radio and clicked it again, “Hello, hello?”

A female Olgog voice came on the radio, “Its Cleo. Whats up?”

“Where is Caltrop and where are the hostages?” asked Sm’eg feeling the tension level rise in the room.

“Caltrop took ten hostages up to the roof to the AAV,” said Cleo over the radio, “The rest we are gathering from the rooms. Once we get the heads up that negotiations are over, the remaining hostages will be released.”

Sm’eg let out a long held breath and sighed.

He turned back to Urder Gul, “Now that the deaths have temporarily stopped, shall we move ahead with the discussion of citizenship and voting?”

Part 4 : The Negotiations turn Left

Smith - “My name is Claudius.”
Om’me - “And my name is Skidz”
Together - “And we’re Simonsburg Special Forces! HUH!”

The entire squad pumps their right fist in the air and then punch their patch. All 12 Olgogs have the same patch, which is a mix of GNA colors along with a special black ‘X’ in the middle of it. The patch is around the right arm and over the heart. Nobody would necessarily have ever seen them before, but they were marching towards the Manorhouse.

Smith - “My brother and I”
Om’me - “Brothers!”
Smith - “Are here to talk peace between my kin the Earthers and the Olgog.”
Om’me - “Tell 'em Claudius!”
Smith - “Because Skidz and I were once enemies.”
Om’me - “Fought tooth and nail!”
Smith - “Until the Great Northern Army took over Simonsburg.”
Om’me - “Damn straight!” He nods emphatically and bounces up and down a few times, like a boxer would before a fight, revving himself up. He does this often.
Smith - “And then we had to learn to live together. Find water.” He says, calm by comparison.
Om’me - “Need to Drink!”
Smith - “And gather food.”
Om’me - “We wuz hungry!”
Smith - “And then really came together when outside forces threatened our very lives.”
Om’me - “They wanted to kill us!”
Smith - “Which is when we learned that the only way to survive this hard and cruel world was to work together. And with the combined forces of Earther and Olgog working together, we defeated the first attacks on Simonsburg.”
Om’me - “Tell 'em Claudius!”
Smith - “They tried to take us DOWN, but that day, Earthers and Olgog became brothers. We became kin.”
Om’me - “From other mothers!”
Smith - “And we learned to trust one another.”
Om’me - “Trust!”
Smith - “We built homes together”
Om’me - “Dem ROOFS!” He gestures in a hand motion, as if he is moving an object with both hands above his head. Except, not bench press style, because his form was all wrong. He was leaning back, knees were bent at an angle, and not nearly enough up and down motion to be of significance.
Smith - “And we came together. Together we fought off raiders.”
Om’me - “Thieves”
Smith - “Earther invasions…and not just once, but twice.”
Om’me - “Two times! Two Times!” He motions with two fingers raised, and waves them emphatically for emphasis.
Smith - “Then we fended off Kalok, the demon betrayer!”
Om’me - “Deeemun SCUUUM!” He cupped his hands around his mouth to ensure the word “scum” was as loud as possible.
Smith - “And every time, we, the Elite Fighting force of Simonsburg.” Each member of the squad first tapped the next person’s chest patch, then the arm patch, then pumped their right hand in the air with a determined “HUH!”
Smith (still) - “We came together as one and fought off all incursions. Because together we became better than we were as two separate races fighting each other.”
Om’me - “Better together, my brother!”
Smith - “We learned that there are more things that bring us closer than tears us apart.”
Om’me - “We family!”
Smith - “And the more we let go of our past sins, the better a tomorrow we created for ourselves and for each other.”
Om’me - “Hell yeah!”
Smith - “We found peace in finding the common things inside us all, instead of just focusing on this fleshy matter that covers our bones.”
Om’me - “We all bleed the same!”
Smith - “And today we’re here because we want to show that Earther and Olgog can come together without violence against one another, without hatred towards each other, and can build a better world without fear of each other!”
Om’me - “Preach my brother, PREACH!”
Smith - “So to any of those that would seek violence instead of love, always remember, we of Simonsburg did it together.”
Om’me - “Yeah!”
Smith - “And still doing it together.”
Om’me - “hell yeah!”
Smith - “And all it took was choosing, just once, to be kind to each other.”
Om’me - “Speak volumes, son!”
Smith - “So with this I end - there’s no need to call any olgog or earther “pure”. So if you have something to say, say it already. Death only feeds the demons that will otherwise consume us all!”
Om’me - “TESTIFY!”

And then they’d all salute each other, pound their chest patches, and chant “We are one! We are one!”

The nearby tanks kept their machine guns trained on the strange boisterous Olgogs, even until they reached the door of the Manor House. At the door Smith and Om’me found themselves waiting in line behind Vektor and Shirley. It seemed there was an argument going on in the meeting room.

The four entered the meeting room and overheard the tail end of the conversation.

It seemed Murl’n, a representative of Unit 817, had brought up some concerns on the very idea of voting. "Hello, sirs, I’ve been sent to observe and offer aid. I’ve been training in medical and first aid.

The commander wishes you to know that as this is occuring in a sovereign realm that the Shield will not interfer unless directly asked by involved parties.

The Shield takes no stance on most of the demends. We have no control over either the Nine or Grimaldus. However, we support the rights of everyone to choose how they live. Although, elections do not seem like a very olgog tradition"

Dreg allowed his head to drop on the table. Hours of negotiation were being sidetracked by worries about modern ideas. As an Outcast it could be argued he lived way more like an Earther than an Olgog. So he didn’t see any concern with modern Olgogs deciding to vote. More muttering and negotiations continued around him.

The newest diplomats, the ones from Brez seemed intent on this point.

“Since when do Pure Olgogs demand an Earther way of governance?” interrogated Vektor.

Sm’eg growled back at him, “Instead we could have demanded a Brezan Solution? Maybe you support us just bashing in the Earther heads with rocks?”

“If you want to remove Grimauldus, and you want to stay true to olgog ways, then the best you can ask for is a traditional challenge of leadership from one of the Olgog cultures? Why push for a Human-style government?” asked Vektor again.

Sm’eg stopped cold.

The silence seemed to pass for a long long time.

Vektor had been assessing this Olgog and through him the Pure Bloods. Sm’eg seemed like a real death camp survivor. From the brands and removed fur near the ears, and a tattoo at the back of the head, Vektor could even tell which one of Lord Grimaldus’ death camps the young gog came from.

His fur pattern said Karovian-Brezan, but his size said Karovian, to Vektor’s trained eyes. Vektor also noticed Sm’eg relied on his right arm for most tasks.

“I did not realize challenging Lord Grimaldus to an honor duel would result in anything other than him sending out some champion or knight to take his place,” Sm’eg said disrespectfully.

“And who would consider it any honor to beat an old man,” countered Naeil.

“Who cares about honor?” asked Sm’eg, “The PureBloods want justice. How can you all allow a human who ran Olgog Death Camps to rule over Olgogs in peacetime??? I mean really?”

Urder Gul leaned in to Lord Grimaldus and asked “Is it true you ran Death Camps?”

Lord Grimaldus just glared at the little Olgog saying, “An interesting question coming from a known terrorist. I handled a violent population in the way lawfully stated by my government.”

Urder Gul pondered that for a few moments. He then looked over at Krodnok to see what the “God” over Olgogs thought of that.

Krodnok scratched his head. More Olgog-Earter squabbling. He really wished he could just stay out of it. However, while he had Olgog followers, he also had Earther followers, as well.

He won’t lend support to either side of the argument, as these ‘pure-blood’ Olgogs sound insane. Although, really, stranger things have happened…

Part 5: Hours Later

The arguments had boiled down to some final agreements.

The PureBloods except Sm’eg would board the AAV and leave. The surviving hostages would remain in the Manor House with Sm’eg and the negotiators.

A council would be convened to control all laws and internal actions, and Lord Grimaldus’ position at that time would be limited to an executive carrying out the council’s orders. Voting by the citizens of Absalom and Hebron would control both council membership and who was Elected Lord. Citizens would include all Earthers living in the colony, the Olgogs living in the colony, and all nomads (Earther or Olgogs who spent more than half the year inside Absalom and Hebron).

Urder Gul said to Lord Grimaldus, “The Nine will not interfere with your rule as long as you go ahead with the hand off of the government as agreed. These Pure Bloods are fools and miscreants.

But the point they bring up about the future…I do not like a future where a man who supported Death Camps is rewarded. If he is lucky enough to redeem himself by saving more than he killed, I will urge the Nine to let such a person live out their days unmolested.”

Lord Grimaldus nodded slowly, whether in agreement, or in understanding the threat, none knew but him.

“And the Nine will respect whatever the outcome of the voting will be, of course,” he said simply in reply.

“Of Course,” agreed Urder Gul.

The PureBloods boarded the AAV, and through the Radio they heard Caltrop’s voice, “Okay Sm’eg. Everyone is loaded up, and Cleo is in the pilot seat. We are ready to leave.”

“Are the 10 hostages you took up to the AAV unloaded?” asked Sm’eg.

“Yes,” said Caltrop, “They are on the roof. Unharmed. Lifting off now.”

There was a sudden crackle of static and the radio went dead.

Sm’eg asked, “Caltrop? Hello? Cleo, Anyone?”

Urder Gul asked, “What has happened?”

Sm’eg sat back heavily in his chair, as if his mind was reeling. He looked up with an accusation at Lord Grimaldus, “Earther treachery.”

“Accusations of treachery coming from a hostage taker?” countered Paladin Commander Durandal.

Dame KeyHob who had come representing Morgothian interests in the region stood up for Sm’eg, “A person who claims both right as Knight and Paladin should be very concerned about someone spoiling what was a very successful negotiation.”

“While I do not know what has happened to your comrades, I had nothing to do with it. If you remember when I arrived I told you no AAV was coming,” said Lord Grimaldus “It was not a vehicle of Absalom and Hebron. It was an EEF vehicle and I have no control or knowledge of what the EEF does.”

Sm’eg snarled, “Yes I remember you saying the only way we would leave was with our weapons on the ground and you deciding our fate. Even if you didn’t plan this, it works well with your original plans doesn’t it Lord Grimaldus?”

Sm’eg placed down his rifle as he was surrendering.

He said sadly, “Take the rest of the Lords and Ladies back to Dunesphere. Let them go to their fancy parties and tournys while the rest starve. Let it be like that here in Absalom and Hebron since you Earthers seem so intent to make it so.”

Then Sm’eg’s left hand came up and the gauntlet shattered revealing an elaborate alchemical weapon in the shape of a hand. Paladin Captain Durandal had his sword sweeping down towards the hands at that same moment Sm’eg fired.

A green glowing tendrill fired at Grimaldus and the older man was struck from his feet.

Durandal’s blade cut through the hand and it exploded, throwing both Durandal and Sm’eg to opposite sides of the room.

Yalar Took was the first at Grimaldus’ side. She turned over the body, relieved to see Grimaldus was still alive. Her brow furrowed looking down at the Earther Lord’s left forearm that now ended in a stump and a set of complex sigils and tattoos. Knowing the Inquisitors outside would scream of sorcery and devil magic, she wrapped the stump in clean bandages before anyone other than her and Grimaldus had seen.

She said, “His left hand had been taken, but the Lord is alive.”

On the far side of the room, they heard a hollow, broken and sad laugh of Dalton Sm’eg, as he raised up a nice looking left hand covered in strange sigils that seemed to mark both flesh and fur. “One small part of what you owe me Grimaldus, but not even a drop in the bucket of what you owe the Olgog people of these lands.”

Durandal moved forward to strike down the offending Olgog but found himself levitated off his feet.

It was Urder Gul, who had taken a moment to scout outside and flew back in the window just in time to stop Durandal. Urder Gul spoke quickly and remorselessly, “You feel this Sm’eg a criminal. Then take him in for the judgement you described early. There is no need for an execution here.

I hope Lord Grimaldus, you will take into account the things that were discussed today, despite this sad sad ending.”

“What happened up there?” asked Naeil.

Urder Gul said, “Someone blew up the AAV. There are burning bodies and parts all along the roof. Most can be resurrected if that will be allowed. The Pure Bloods are up there, if in bits.”

Epilogue: The PureBlood Conspiracy

The dark and dank factory had been put together to bottle water, but then was immediately shut down during the riots. It was the perfect place for the VLAD operation. Only three people were currently present.

Agent Candy stood across from Glog of Or’lur. She didn’t bear the Olgog any ill will, but knew she couldn’t go to an actual Gor’ab. If a crime was a committed, a Gor’ab would have to report it and then seek justice. While Glog had been trained as a Flesh and Spirit Dweller, he had none of these compulsions to act in any specific way on the information he found.

In fact, it was one of the reasons the VLAD agency had allowed him to go forward as a leader despite his rather unfortunate decisions surrounding the Teardrop Hammer. Having a Flesh and Spirit Dweller in their pocket was helpful, and the new VLAD agency needed every bit of help it could get.

Glog knelt on a folded blanket made of Mak Hoblok Skin. He held the skull of a pureblood Olgog in his hand. He began to speak in a voice that was not his own, as the sound reverberated in the jawless skull he held.

In his own voice Glog asked, “What is your name? And Who do you serve”

“Caltrop Doud, and I was one of the chosen, created by Inquisitor Lord Siedermann and the Inquisition of the great and holy Church of One to keep an eye on the Goblins who seek to steal the southlands from rightous human rule.”

There was a moment of silence and Agent Candy leaned in, “Ask him about the PureBlood Olgogs.”

Glog repeated the question and the skull replied, “The PureBlood Olgogs are a terrorist group made up of select chosen members and the stupid animal rabble Goblins who serve us as cannon fodder. Most of them are ex-convicts or death camp survivors who feel they got a raw deal. They have no idea about our true goal.

Our only true goal is to cause an Olgog uprising and use it an excuse to start a second Goblin Genocide. With the distrust caused by the Mirror Crystal Invasion, it would only take a few atrocities to turn to general public against the Olgogs.

I mean they froze all the innocents of Bartsport and killed them all. They killed thousands of brave young Earther Knights in their violent campaign to drive the humans from these lands.”

To Agent Candy it sounded like typical Church of One Propaganda. She leaned in and whispered in Glog’s ear. He turned his head and looked at her like she was crazy and asked “Are you a K’ias, controlled by an alien parasite, or some sort of engineered clone?”

“All the chosen were created by the Inqusition. Olgog bodies imbued with a human mind and human soul, and with that soul a real hope at salvation unlike the dirty goblin masses,” said the skull.

“So you think you are an Earther?” asked Glog of his own curiousity.

“Yes I am a human in every way I can be, and once my Olgog body is destroyed by fire and cleansed
my Human spirit will join God in Heaven,” the skull replied with the surety of a zealot.

“Why did the AAV blow up,” asked Agent Candy.

“The AAV was rigged with stun grenades. When they disabled the PureBlood Olgogs I was left awake. My orders had included drinking gladiator ale in case of riot grenades used by the Absalom Defense force. In the event of capture I was to blow myself and all remaining PureBloods up,” said the skull.

“How many more of you chosen are there in the world?” asked a third voice, which had until this moment been in the shadows. Colony General Malthus himself stepped forth and said, “Ask him.”

Glog repeated the question and the skull answered, “Hundreds, maybe thousands. And you will never find us.”

Colony General Malthus made a hand gesture, and the skull was taken from Glog by Agent Candy who kissed the Olgog leader on the cheek.

She led him by the hand to the door, “And don’t forget sweetie, VLAD will come asking for your help again in the future. But your tribe has a free pass on that whole Teardrop Hammer thing. Just keep your nose clean and your tribe out of trouble, and we will have a long happy friendship.”

Once Glog was gone, Agent Candy asked, “So what is your plan for this little rebellion?”

Malthus looked at her for a moment, cool and calculating, he said, “It is not a rebellion. A rebellion is by the people and for the people. This is a False flag to turn the tide against Olgog recognition, this is prejudice and hate rearing its ugly head. And the only reason I became Colony General was to prevent another Goblin Genocide from ever happening again.

So I guess it is a good thing I am here at this moment to derail this. Agent Candy I am placing you in charge of this operation until McMurphy returns from the Glacial Wastes Expedition.

Use Uthvelor Seers and track anyone with memories of these Chosen, Olgogs with implanted Human memories and…more. Use VLAD to take out their cells, and contain their influence. Make sure to weed out the real Olgogs from the fake ones. Send the real ones to the GNA for re-education Brezan style. The chosen send to the Goru. I want every one of them captured.”

“What about the Inquisitors in Dunesphere and the Provisional Colonies who orchestrated this?” asked Agent Candy wondering how far her influence would be allowed.

“Stay outside of Dunesphere,” said Malthus, “I still can’t authorize any action inside an actual colony, but the Provisional Colonies are open season.”

“What about Siedermann?” asked Candy pressing the Colony General in a way his usual subordinates would rarely dare.

“If the EEF starts collecting citizens it didn’t like from colony governments, half the colonies would be up in arms. Kalino would rebel on principal, and the New Vorik Aristocracy would immediately demand EEF soldiers to help defend them from a repeat of the Conquest Wars. If we gave them the troops, Kalino might request a vote of no confidence in the EEF. If we didn’t give them the troops, then New Vorik might request a vote of no confidence.
If Kalino or New Vorik, and City of the Gods, Kelvara, Delaba, Dumbar and Saragosa voted a no confidence vote in the EEF, we would lose our mandate, and the right to operate in those colonies.”

“Why those colonies?” asked Candy genuinely interested. She herself had been a citizen of Kelvara.
“Kelvara is still recovering from the VLAD incident. You remember the part involving the EEF covering up child slavery practices among the Vampyr groups living there,” said Malthus.

“Vampyr groups I helped shut down,” agreed Candy, “We were the heroes.”

“Yes the new VLAD agency which is secret was the heroes,” said Malthus, “As far as your average citizen is concerned it was a shady EEF paramilitary group blowing up a lot of property in the name of shutting down another EEF paramilitary group. And the child slavery part. Every time the journalists get to the part about the juicing of the children, nobody cares which group of former EEFers are the good guys and which are the bad guys.”

“Kalino has always been rebellous,” said Malthus, “But Dumbar, Delaba and New Vorik suffered horribly during the Border Wars. And many blame the EEF for not doing enough.”

“The EEF saved them from being slaves of the Northern Kingdoms,” said Candy knowing how bad the NK could be, “They should be thanking you.”

“Well Saragosa has nothing to thank us about, the EEF was involved in the release of a Zombie outbreak there during the VLAD incident,” said Malthus, “They are just happy we quelled it and ended the outbreak, but a lot of folks lost loved ones.

Oh and I forgot the WarCouncil of S’vana and Mt. Vir, those Children of the Falosini will never forget that it was strangulari working alongside EEF soldiers who killed Lord Falos.”

“Lord Falos was possessed by an Ancient Evil,” countered Candy.

“The Children of the Falosini are not even taught about ancient evils, Candy,” said Malthus, “They blame the EEF for not giving them a chance to save him.”

“So without Kalino (or New Vorik), Delaba, Dumbar, Mt. Vir, S’vana, Saragosa and Kelvara what have you got left?” asked Candy, “You have Chooru, Dusk, City of the Gods, Neo Vargas and Baronade. Certainly not a small holding.”

“And then…if Siedermann and his allies offered the now freed Colonies a place in a new coalition? One that excluded S’vana and Mt. Vir? They would outnumber our colonies, and how long until such a coalition sought war?” asked Malthus.

Candy blew a lock of hair from her face and placed a hand gently on the elder vampire’s chest, “Those are a lot of Ifs. But I see what you mean. If you march into Dunesphere and arrest Siedermann you risk setting a lot of dominos in motion. And some can lead to civil war…

What if he were to come to Absalom and Hebron? What then?”

“He wouldn’t be stupid enough to leave Dunesphere,” said Malthus, “What would be worth the risk?”

“Fame, Fortune, and the opportunity to prove his own racist little beliefs,” said Candy holding up a badly made flyer for the 1st Annual Southern Olgog Games, “Imagine this Carnival of Fail instead funded by the EEF or Colonial Government with full Holovideo cameras and reporters and all the pomp and circumstance of an old Earth Olympics. The Lucky Fate guys kept talking about it during the negotiation.
Do you think if Siedermann was offered the role of judge, and allowed a single Earther athlete in each event, he would turn it down? Especially if that old scientist was allowed to engineer or cybernetically upgrade his own to offset our Olgog friends use of the Leyas?”

“So you are suggesting the EEF allow Siedermann the opportunity to sneak his murderous cyborgs and genetically engineered psychopaths into the games?” asked Malthus in confusion.

“Yes and we let the Olgog leaders know about it,” said Agent Candy, “So when he walks in, he thinks we are in his trap instead of the reverse.”

“The 1st Annual Southern Olgog Games it is,” replied Malthus, “Make sure everything is ready to collect Siedermann once he is firmly in EEF territory.”

Rewards

All players who took part in this mission may select one Artifact up to 2,000 ghaz in price from either the artifacts sale list in the DR Core book or in the Complete Leyas Guide.