TSGL3 Week 1 Mission Report: The Kefeda Release, and their Arrival to Deryyanheim

Prologue: How Quall Wage War…

The Asteroid entered the atmosphere of Refuge, and deep inside its durable crust were the Quall N’drone of the Kefeda Queen. The Kefeda Queen Kedorox was tapped into each of her Quall Warriors simultaneously, and felt their joy over finally being liberated from the Gu’ah TemporalMax after all this time. Like all Quall, she had two legs ending in hooves, and four arms ending in dexterous hands. And like all Quall Queens, her head was topped by seven horns, three on each side, and a larger central horn.
The central horn of Queen Kedorox was a deep off-white and dripped a constant trickle of dark thick fluid. Fluid thick with the eggs that would grow into larval Quall offspring. But an egg would only mature into a larva if it driven inside the sentient reasoning centers and/or brain matter of a host species.

The Asteroid had become a meteor, now hurling like a fireball towards the ground far below. Kedorox directed her Warriors telepathically to use their powers to cool the rapidly heating crust of their home. They kept it from liquefying and/or shattering as the meteor descended.

As they neared the ground, the Kefeda queen had her warriors redirect the heat into jets of flame pointed downward like thrusters. Each flame jet slowed the meteor incrementally, until their landing safely in the desert.

Through the eyes of her warriors, the Kefeda Queen could see these lands, called derogatorily the Goblin Lands on most colonial maps, for the first time. It was desolate, from what she saw. A place with few settlements far apart.

Here she knew she could grow her Quall Horde if she wanted, but Kedorox felt deeply that It was immoral to go out and collect hosts. Instead she would wait. This planet was firmly in the dimensions controlled by the Falosini. When they inevitably sent their armies of the Children of the Falosini to attack the Kefeda Hive, she would cull the best to be hosts for her offspring. Kedorox was firmly on the side of live and let live…except those who stopped her from gathering the Mortis Leonin.
His crimes against all species were too great for the Kefeda Queen to allow to continue. And if need be the entirety of Leonin’s home colony of Dunesphere would be implanted, just so she could find his location.

She sent her first platoon of Quall Warriors out to scout the land route to Dunesphere.

From orbit they had seen two basic routes to their target from their landing zone, one was to the shores of Unen and then across the sea to the penninsula on which Dunesphere sits. The other was a land route between Absalom and Drewsport. This one took them outside of enemy territories until they were at the marshes south of Chooru. They would have to sneak past EEF patrols and defenses to reach the peninsula, but once there Kedorox knew here children could open energy bridges.
That was the key of course. From here, Kedorox would open energy bridges to the Land of the Quall. From the walls of Dunesphere, her Quall Warriors would open a separate energy bridge to the Land of the Quall.

Then she would have the bulk of her army move from the crash site to the other dimension and then back to Refuge outside the walls of Dunesphere.
Miles would be overcome within moments. But first she needed her vanguard to arrive at Dunesphere and set up the energy bridge for arrival.

Kedorox, the Last Kefeda Queen, rubbed her head, behind her ear was a heavy metallic device that ached. It was a cybernetic lock the Da’uhnb jailors of the TemporalMax had implanted to prevent her from reaching out telepathically to the other Quall Queens and their Hive minds. The Kefeda Quall may not be beloved by the other Quall Hives, but Kedorox knew if she had called for help against the Da’uhnb, the other queens might have come. As she gritted her teeth against the ache, she assured herself…the other queens might have come.

Part 1: On the Road to the North

Roads? These savage beings didn’t bother with roads. Kedorox knew that both the Earthers and the Olgogs who inhabited this region could generate incedible heat at minimal cost using the Leyas. Were she here as a uplifter of people, as she once had been, she would have shown them how to melt smooth roads into the sand of the desert. Roads that would link the settlements, and encourage trade and civilization. But the Kefeda Queen wondered if these Earthers and Olgogs could even be trusted to keep a civilization functioning.

Ouiz Halfhorn, a captain among her Quall, was already deep into the territory between Drewsport and Absalom with his Quall Vanguard. Fifty Quall Warriors who would be able to rip apart a lesser army on the open field of battle. Here out in the desert they did little to hide their movements.

Ouiz telepathically reached out to Kedorox, “My Queen, we make great progress across these lands. So far we have been unmolested by the local tribal Olgogs. We have spotted Necrostriders piloted by the Dead. They have kept away, just watching us as we move from position to position.”

The Kefeda Quall Queen relayed back, “Ouiz my child, my beloved one, ignore the Dead. If they show violence towards you, you may turn aside and handle them, but for now assume that the Dead simply wish to know why Quall are in their territory.”
Both Ouiz and Kedorox were interrupted by the telepathic cries of one of the forward scouts.

“Captain Ouiz Halfhorn, I am under attack. There are about a hundred Earther youths dressed like toy soldiers firing very real weapons at me,” said the Quall scout, “My burst shield has melted their arrows so far, but they outnumber me. What are your orders?”

“Guard yourself with Walls of Fire,” said Ouiz looking through the scouts eyes at the army of Church of One Squires he had come upon, “Keep their attention on you. I will send ten Warriors to flank them, and when I do fire leap into the center of the squires’ position. I care less about you fighting them, as kicking up enough sand to temporarily blind them.”

“Go with the blessings and love of your Queen,” added Kedorox, “Your warrior brothers will keep you safe.”

Ouiz watched from his position as the Quall Scout leapt into the center of the squires’ position. Fire rushed from under the
Quall carrying him thirty feet above the army, and all four of his hands came down as he descended. The hands slapped the sand with enough force to drive up a cloud that covered half the squires. The other squires began to panic, and Ouiz watched as their ranks broke and morale was gone. The ten warriors who flanked struck quickly and decisively, and within the first thirty seconds of battle seventy of the squires were incinerated where they stood. The remaining thirty banded together, watching the eight foot tall massive warriors approached looking like a cross between minotaurs and demons. Ten Quall circled the thirty squires, and one stood in the center of them. The young squires were near panic, and quite a few had already pissed themselves.

Then the bullets of sniper rifles struck from a nearby dunetop. To the Quall’s natural Leyas sight, the bullets were like beacons with the leyas tied to them. And they acted like tracers allowing the Quall to follow the rounds back to their source.

Ouiz felt the pain of his brother Quall warrior who was struck by a bullet. He instantly knew the rounds had been artificed, and had broken the shields the warriors sustained to protect themselves. He signaled the information to the rest of the Kefeda Quall. They would be wary of shieldbreakers, and few could sustain enough energy to shield break a shield when a Quall Warrior focused his immense will on it.

But the moment had already passed for the Quall to withdraw, and they saw no threat in the snipers. One Quall turned towards the dunetop, and ignited it with four walls of fire. The Church of One snipers were visually cut off, and any shot they made had to pass through the intense flames first.

The eleven quall and the squires they prepared to destroy would not last a moment longer, and Ouiz Halfhorn watched his brave fellow warriors die. He could feel their psychic howls of pain as their bodies were torn apart by the immense artillery strike that came down upon them.

Ouiz was already telepathically ordering two other scouts to find the artillery pieces, and four other warriors to move forward towards the dunetop position of the sniper fire. They leapt through the air on plumes of fire, crossing massive distances pushing the walls of fire up towards the snipers. Ouiz wondered if the snipers could feel the sand heating around them, how soon until they were all in a pool of superheated glass.

But the Quall Captain quickly had more pressing concerns than the snipers on the hilltop.

His main contingent of thirty quall were being charged by knights on horseback. Luckily three scouts had reported on the large sustained field of unobscured Light Leyas arching from one Dunetop to another nearby. When the sniper attack had started, he had ordered the scouts to hide themselves in the sand and observe the wall of powerful Light Leyas. They could not see past it, but they knew it hid something.

Then after the artillery strike, the Façade fell away, and the Paladins rode forth. One hundred in number, they faced the group of Quall nearly three to one. The instant the scouts saw the façade drop away, they signaled to Ouiz and the warriors what they faced, and the direction they rode from.

Within moments Ouiz’s plan and the Queen’s blessing was transmitted to the Quall warriors.

In groups of five they fire leaped forward. Leap frogging in groups of six, they would strike the ground to produce a huge cloud of sand. Then using the Leyas, the Quall melted the sand mid-air turning it into a burning liquid projectile. It struck steed and rider alike, a rain of liquid glass that burned flesh and sizzled and hardened on armor.
But if the Church of One Paladins were anything they were zealots. Despite, losing an eye, or having a scalded face, the Paladins would not turn back. The Church of Oners quickly realized their element of surprise and ambush had somehow failed, and the Inquisitors among them began using light leyas in ernest to blind the closest Quall. The paladins raised their lances and charged into the blinded leaping quall warriors. Twenty Quall were affixed by sixty lances, bleeding their scalding deadly blood on the very paladins who slayed them. Forty Paladins lay dead, some cooked alive in their armor, others simply reduced to ash.

Of the remaining sixty, only ten survived the next minute of battle.

Ouiz regretted letting the ten paladins survive, but as his remaining scouts and warriors incinerated the sixty knights, he had to divert some quall to collect body parts from the fallen Quall. The ten who survived had been scarred for life by molten glass, and raved of the horrors of facing true monsters in battle even while they lay half dead on the corpses of their steeds.
Ouiz’s scouts reported another two hundred horsemen moving in, and immediately called for an ordered retreat. They fled to the south, letting the Church of One believe that had been defeated.

In the end, some would wonder who had truly won the battle. One hundred young squires were immolated beyond healing or blasted apart by artillery. Ninty paladins in good standing were dead, and one hundred thoroughbred warhorses were laid down that day. And of the Quall only thirty had died a final death.

Ouiz found a good spot to hide, and watched the conquering two hundred paladins gather horns and bones from his brother qualls’ bodies before the Inquisitors destroyed the rest with acid. The Earthers may have their trophies, but Ouiz swore by his queen he would still see the walls of Dunesphere.

Part 2: At the Walls of the most Hatefilled city on Refuge. The Night Before

Ouiz Halfhorn, Captain, Quall Warrior, and honored child of Queen Kedorox of the Kefeda Quall, had traveled long and hard. Back south, past the Port of Unen he went with his twenty remaining Quall. Many had to be converted back to life, and as a result, they still bore wounds from the previous battle.

Wounded and demoralized, they would not give up. The aliens made their way to the coast where no Olgog tribe ruled. Here they entered the sea, and began a long hard swim to the north. Past the Port of Unen, and Drewsport and finally past Bartsport they swam. And long day became a long night, and the cycle repeated until the weary Kefeda Quall pulled themselves from the shore near the city of Dunesphere. Here a small fishing town was the first place that was burned to the ground by the Quall warriors. The first energy bridge was set up here, and Ouiz sent through the body parts of Church of One Squires and Paladins which had been recovered during the battle.

They would serve the Kefeda Queen as hosts once they were resurrected. And in doing, Ouiz hoped they would replace the Quall warriors who had died so ignobly during the ambush. Kedorox sent another thirty quall through this energy bridge to help Captain Ouiz finish his mission. Ouiz closed the energy bridge soon after but did not seal it. If he failed in setting up a beach head at the walls of Dunesphere, the Kefeda would have this backup location further field.

Of course Ouiz had sent through any of the fisherfolk of the village foolish enough to attack the Quall when they arrived, before the energy bridge was closed. Those who fled into the hills were allowed to go. Ouiz hoped they spread word of the attack, and drew more forces away from Dunesphere.

Instead of heading straight towards the city, where the Oner forces might intercept his new vanguard, Ouiz headed northward parallel to the city. He sent scouts further field, to set fires in nearby towns and parishes. The Oners would think his forces were laying waste, when in fact they were now moving closer to Dunesphere.

By midday, all the official Church of One forces were moving towards St. Paulus Parish where three of Ouiz’ scouts had made it seem like an all out Quall attack was menacing the tiny hamlet.

The main vanguard were masters of stealth and simply used good field craft to hide their location. That night they had set up a hidden camp overlooking the many Cathedrals of Dunesphere. The Quall could not help but notice the fields and fields of crosses that extended from the walls of the city like a forest. On each was a body, some barely holding on to life, but most dead and long reduced to bleached bones. All had a sin or crime etched on their cross. Yet to the Quall’s fascination, that night ever few feet a Cross would disappear into the ground. It seemed to only happen to the Iron Crosses, the wood ones were left alone. But over the course of the night, Ouiz counted eighty crosses stolen.

Seeing an opportunity, Ouiz reached out to Kedorox, “My Queen, I have finally arrived at Dunesphere. This is a city of evil and death if I have ever seen one. But it is surrounded by thousands of dead bodies crucified to weird sticks. I propose we send scouts down during tomorrow’s battle, and have them bring back samples for your mighty healers to restore to life so that they may host your children. What is your guidance, My Queen?”

“Go forth with this plan, my captain,” replied Kedorox, “Know my child, that the Hive is under siege while you prepare to besiege the home of the Mortis Leonin. The Cloud Slavers and the Olgogs attack us. “

“My Queen do you need me there? I can be there in moments once the energy bridge is created here,” queried Ouiz with concern.

“I feel your worry, and your love, Ouiz. Make me proud today, and take the Mortis Leonin today so we may end his threat to all life,” Kedorox replied, “My brave warriors will keep me safe. Now go Ouiz. Take my blessings and my punishments to the Earthers who harbor our enemy.”

“My Queen I will create and open the energy bridge, but I say we should not bring the horde through. Let them stay on the Land of the Quall, so that they may come to your aide, if the threat to the Hive becomes to great,” cautioned Ouiz.

“Do what you can with fifty warriors Ouiz, I will heed your advice and hold back the horde,” agreed the Kefeda Queen, “But do not die out there my child. Remember we do not need the city. We just want Leonin.”

Ouiz lingered for a moment with his Queen. He could feel her supreme love and the supreme love of the entire Hive envelop him. They were his friends, his family, his whole world. And he would keep them safe at all costs.

Part 3: What Fifty Quall did to the City of Dunesphere

Ouiz and his quall vanguard had finished setting up the energy bridge. It overlooked the city of Dunesphere, and would allow a Quall Horde to destroy the city in minutes if they came through. But here, now, Ouiz would try diplomacy first.

He left the vanguard on the hilltop, and walked down as a single Quall towards the massive EEF military presence that defended the city’s main gates. His weapons were sheathed, and he even carried a flag of white, made from the cloak of a paladin they had killed on the road to Dunesphere. He let it flutter so they would know he meant to parlay.

What greeted him at the city gates was a K’iorn of impressive stature. The pointy eared alien was dressed in the uniform of the Earth Expeditionary Force, but carried himself like a K’iorn Dra’koon. There was a deadly menace about this person, and Ouiz instantly knew he was a threat.

The Church of Oners were yelling threats and curses down at this Major General, despite the fact that he was standing in between them and a Quall attack. Ouiz as a result instantly liked this K’iorn. He hoped he would not have to kill this being. The K’iorn seemed surprised he had come down to talk.

“White Flag? I don’t suppose that means you want to surrender?” asked Major General Terror of the EEF.

“I thought a white flag means to parlay in Earther culture,” replied Ouiz not wanting to offend before he even asked his request, “I am here on peacekeeping business.”

“The Quall aren’t usually in the peacekeeping business,” countered Terror warily.

“We are this time. We are here to apprehend a criminal, a monster who has terrorized all non-human species,” said Ouiz, “His name is Mortis Leonin. And if this city bravely gives him over so he can face righteous punishment, none shall be harmed.”

A church of oner screamed, “Kill the demons!!” And hurled a stone which struck Ouiz in the face. He grunted in anger and looked up at the Oner and prepared to incinerate him where he stood.

Terror pointed to a soldier and yelled, “Get that idiot out of here. Doesn’t he know a diplomatic situation when he sees one!”
Then Terror turned back to Ouiz saying, “Sorry about that. The people in this town are a little…special? Yeah special in the need to keep them separated from people you like way. So you just want this Leonin guy and we can all go home? Gimme a sec.”

Terror activated his commcrystal and called back to base. After a moment of hold music, he heard a female voice say, “EEF Switchboard, how may I direct your call?”

“Dunesphere Liason please,” said Terror.

“One moment please,” replied the commcrystal switchboard operator.

More hold music, and Terror hummed along until a male voice answered, “General Cline Siedermann, Dunesphere Liason. Who may I ask is calling?”

“Major General Terror, Severence Research Facility Liason,” replied Terror.

“A long way from your stationed base, Major General,” said Cline warily, “What brings the Terror of Dunesphere back down south?”

“I haven’t gone by that moniker in a long time General,” said Terror, “I need you to apprehend a citizen named Mortis Leonin. He is wanted on national security grounds.”

There was a long pause, “I would love to help you out on that. But both the Inquisitorial office and the local EEF command have had a warrant out for Mortis Leonin for six months already. We have checked all of his local stomping grounds but every time we get close he disappeared in a flash of blue light. We reported the phenomenon to EEF High Command, but other than sending a few VLAD agents into the area, no successful arrests.”

Terror sighed looking up at the massive Quall N’drone warrior, “So…I have a favor to ask of you.”

Ouiz asked slowly, “What is that?”

“I need a few days to find this Leonin guy,” said Terror, “Apparently the city has been trying to find him for months.”
Ouiz said, “Then they have not been sufficiently motivated.”

“Wait…what do you mean?” asked Terror getting a sinking feeling.

Ouiz simply looked out towards the Horizon. Terror’s keen K’iorn eyes could see three platoons of fifteen quall each were in position about eighty feet apart. They raised their four arms as one. And forty five Quall Warriors ignited the entire Dunesphere skyline.

Terror saw the entire colony go up in flames, and said, “Well that escalated quickly.”

“Listen well,” said Ouiz, “Just as quickly as that flame appeared, we can make it disappear. Make an announcement to the city, hand over Leonin and all will be forgiven.”

“Im sorry guy,” said Terror, “That is not how this is going to play out. Even if I made the announcement half the city would be burned to the ground before we could organize the search parties. Put out the fire and we can negotiate.”

“There is nothing to negotiate,” said Ouiz, “Make the annoncements or watch the city burn.”

“I don’t like being told what to do,” said Terror, “Especially by a Quall.”

Ouiz watched in surprise as the Terror pulled in both light and shadow leyas. A leyas storm erupted around him, and Ouiz could see burns along Terror’s arms as the backlash deeply injured his body. Terror turned towards the closest group of Quall and unleashed the Leyas storm. Its rose into the sky, which opened up as a blast of shadow struck from the heavens. Where it touched flesh and animating lifeforce were severed from one another. All fifteen of the Quall Warriors fell down dead. Their bodies lifeless.

Ouiz roared in anger at the death of his siblings, “How dare you?”

Terror’s aura was suffused with the stolen lifeforce of the Quall and looked at Ouiz without mercy, “Will you order your remaining warriors to put out the fire, or do you need to see a repeat of that?”

Ouiz said, “You are wasting my time.”

And with that, much to terror’s surprise, the Quall Captain simply fire leaped over him, and onto the walls of dunesphere. Within a moment, the Quall was over the wall and into the smoke filled streets beyond.

Terror looked back at the thirty quall preparing to increase the heat, and pulled out a secondary commcrystal, “General Vulfrym, mobilize your troops. We need those quall stopped.”

Ouiz listed for a moment, warning his warriors to expect EEF forces. At his side were four Quall scouts, who had snuck in during the blaze.

Ouiz felt his brother warriors were under fire. He motioned to the scouts, pointing towards the Pope of Dunesphere’s own villa and said, “Go there. Claim their leader so we may use him to force them to hand over the Leonin.”

One of the scouts, Peyri BlueHoof asked, “Captain Ouiz, what are we to do to those who stand in our way? Kill them, or capture them for the Queen?”

Ouiz telepathically told the other three, “You will destroy anyone who stands in your way. Ignore their civilians and those who do not attack you. Keep Peyri safe at all costs.”

Putting his full connection towards Peyri, Captain Ouiz spoke, “At the cost of your own life, you must capture either their pope or the Leonin. One or other other, and return with them to our Queen. Is that understood?”

“Yes Captain,” replied Peyri telepathically, “For the Queen. But what are you going to do sir?”

“Our brothers need help out there,” said Ouiz, “I will find a place where the fires have not yet spread, that overlooks the city and our brothers at the walls. There are still thirty warriors who need my guidance. Do not worry Peyri, through our hivemind, I will be with you as well. You are never alone.”

Ouiz watched Peyri and the other scouts disappear into the smoke that now choked the first two floors of every building in the city. He could hear the Earthers screaming about hell, and wondered what they meant. Accessing the Hivemind he quickly learned, and said, “Oh weak ones, I will show you what a hell can really be.”

He fire leaped up to a small roof top, and then from there up to a stone tower topped by church bells. In the steeple he took up position. The battle outside the wall was raging.

The EEF garrisoned at Dunesphere had begun firing upon the Quall, but their bullets did little to the burst shields and walls of fire the Quall squads set up defensively around themselves. Bullets, railgun rails, and other projectiles were harmlessly melted away before they were a threat to the Quall. And many a sniper and sharpshooter cursed their luck as their mundane bullets and rail spikes were thwarted. Ouiz laughed at their folly, from here he could even see a gleaming power armored form out on the sand firing away at his men from the rear.

He took a moment to melt the metal of the railgun, and watched with pleasure as the weapon fell apart in the soldier’s hands. Ouiz was surprised to see any soldier would have such hubris to stand out in mirror shining armor against Quall N’drone. He must not think much of us, Ouiz thought.

The Quall could tell his target was an immutable, and immune to many of his most deadly attacks. So instead he focused his will for a moment and ten Quall focused their Leyas and melted the armor clean off revealing a muscular Olgog inside. Then they superheated the sand near him, so that he suck ankle deep in sand hot enough to cook his flesh down to the bones. The Olgog fell trying to use a hand to hold himself up, but it too sunk into the deadly sand. The Quall left him to a slow death.

Ouiz realized the EEF would start firing another salvo of attacks at his Quall if they remained outside the city. He had twenty charge the walls, seeking to leap them instead of breaking through them. Instead the dirt beneath them began to churn as Mighty Yadols ripped apart the turf beneath the Quall. Many Quall fell in as the ground opened up. Some never came back out sealed away under ground or crushed under the churning Yadols.

Ouiz could see waves of Earth Leyas being manipulated by a distant Olgog. The remaining ten Quall turned and leapt away, using fire leap to quickly surmount the wall. Once inside the city, the ten Quall were a force to be reckoned with. They crushed paladins, incinerated witchhunters, and used Red Bishops like human cudgels. Their squad tactics were perfect, covering each other, and clearing the streets methodically.

As they pushed forward, Ouiz could sense from them that the civilians were fleeing towards the paupers quarter. He was tempted to send a scout to find out what was there, but could no longer spare the extra warriors.

While the Yadol attack had deeply injured the Quall offensive, five Quall from the twenty who fell into the ground still lived. Together they focused the leyas to blast their way free, tunneling in their own destructive way up from the Yadols and through the city walls. These five synched up with Ouiz’s ten, and fifteen strong they charged for the center of Dunesphere.

Ouiz trusted them to handle any threats they faced, and began leaping again from roof to roof, to see if he could get a visual on where the humans were fleeing to. Finally he reached a steel water tower, that overlooked the Pauper’s Quarter. The ranshakled huts and dilapidated shacks had gone up like tindling, but in the center of the blaze was a place of calmness.

The ground had been expertly burrowed, and the iron crosses stolen the night before were in positions as support beams on both sides of the tunnel. An Olgog stood before the tunnel mouth, ordering the gathering civilians down through the tunnel to safety on the other side. Ouiz was tempted to interfere when his attention was drawn back to the fifteen Quall warriors intent on the center of the city.

They reached a choke point, where two statues formed a corridor. The Quall came together only to be lit up by soldiers in Lions of Earth uniforms. Gunfire could be seen from every nearby window, and hundreds of rounds were striking the burst shields of the Quall. While the Quall were distracted by the immense firepower that was striking their shields, Ouiz saw something that was invisible reveal itself.

An artificed sword was the first thing he saw as it struck one of his Quall warriors, dropping the Quall’s shield as it did so. Then he saw the pistol the swordsman raised, to fire a salvo of chillbolts into the Quall N’drone’s unprotected back. In that same moment, the Quall was torn apart by the bullets that now struck home. The swordsman was an EEF General who quickly went invisible again.

Ouiz advised his remaining Quall of the danger. They formed a circle, and began igniting the buildings around them, hoping to drive out the Lions of Earth. In a way they succeeded, as Ouiz unhappily watched.

Ouiz could see the EEF general charge into battle against his Quall, a small nimble bastard at his side, and a group of soldiers at his back. His sword clipped through shields, while the bastard’s springshots followed up with strikes to the unprotected throats and heads of the Quall. Ouiz watched the battle and knew his Hive would need to develop better armor.

He telepathically spoke to Kedorox and said, “My Queen the battle goes poorly here. We will need to reevlautae tactics and armor when I return. My Queen…” Nothing but silence.

Something he had never experienced since birth. Somehow these savages had cut off his ability to communicate with his queen. He used all his will to transmit to the entire Hive what had happened in the battle so far, and his suggestions for armor, weapons and tactics based on upon their failures to hold a siege upon the city.

He also knew without his Queen to command it, his vanguard would get no reinforcements from the Land of the Quall N’drone. They were here alone in combat against an entire city. So far they had excelled in restraint. Now unfortunately for the people of Dunesphere, all restraint would need to lifted.

He signaled to two of the Quall to pull away from the battle, stealthily sneaking away from the melee. These two he sent running towards the merchant quarter the scouts had passed earlier. The Merchant quarter held all sorts of goods that the people of Dunesphere needed. And not least among these were oil and coal for cooking and heating their homes. And merchant houses had great stockpiles complete with barrels of coal and drums of oil. The oil was marked with the symbols for the petrol fields of Dusk, and the coal with the shipping labels from Dumbar. But neither label stopped the Quall warriors from grabbing barrels and drums four at a time and hurling them like artillery across the cityscape.

Blackheart Security machinegun nests were now targeting the last of the fifteen who had fought the Lions of Earth. Ouiz heard cry after cry in his head, as his warriors fell to the sword, the high caliber bullet, or to the chillbolt. Their connection shared their sadness and pain at the time of death, and Ouiz swore it would not be in vain

EEF soldiers and Lions of Earth were moving in on the positions of the two in the merchant quarter, and Ouiz wished the Quall Warriors well in their next reincarnation. Then he ignited the main powder storehouse in the merchant quarter where the Red Bishops allocated blackpowder, smokeless powder, and gun jelly to approved firearms and explosives vendors. As the powder storehouse went up, Ouiz reached out to Peyri Bluehoof to see how the scouts were faring in their kidnapping plan.

Part 4: A Political Situation goes from Bad to Worse.

Peyri was inside the Pope’s massive bedroom, hiding currently in the high rafters while observing the Pope who was meeting with an unexpected guest. The knight who stood before the Pope was speaking rapidly, “Your eminence, I am sure that Mortis Leonin is here. Not only does an entire army of Quall besiege the city, but they demand him.”

“Then give him to them,” whimpered the Pope, “Didn’t I excommunicate that raving Madman already anyway?”

“You and five other popes over the centuries,” replied the visitor, who was dressed as a knight of dunesphere complete with sword and shield sheathed on his back.

At that moment there was a flash of blue light and a man dressed in the robes of an Inquisitor appeared. He glanced at the knight warily, and pulled the Pope to his side saying, “Your Eminence, I am here to protect you from our enemies. Both the Kasanthians and the Quall have agents in this very chamber and only I can stop them.”

The Pope looked around warily, “What proof have you of this, Leonin?”

The windows suddenly shattered as the Red Bishop’s main powder storehouse went up. The Pope held his hands to his ears and sobbed, while the knight ran to the window with tears streaming from his eyes.

Leonin adjusted the ear plugs in his ears and was about to grab the Pope and Time Shred away. Then suddenly a flow of silver goop bubbled up from under the door. It changed into a flowing vaguely humanoid form for a moment and lept at Leonin.

Leonin sighed, “I am sorry, your eminence, I was not fast enough.” And he disappeared in a flash of blue light as quickly as he first arrived.

The pope shuddered as the flowing goo grew long claws as it approached him, asking, “Where has Leonin gone to?”

The Pope wailed, “I don’t know. How the hell should I know? You just saw him disappear didn’t you?”

The goo warrior was none too happy from what Peyri could see. And its claws were now moving towards the Pope’s rather ample gut.

Peyri leapt at the Goo Warrior, disrupting its body, and ruining its attack. The Quall stood up to her full size towering over the Goo Warrior and the Pope. The Pope of the Church of One squeeked and fled towards his closet, only to be grabbed by one of the other Quall scouts.

It was through that Quall’s eyes that Peyri noticed the knight creeping up behind her. She turned just in time to take his sword to her gut, and the Goo Warrior’s claws to her right shoulder. The claw severed her right arms in one smooth stroke and she fell backwards trying to dodge the next swipe of claws. She tried to fire leap away but for some reason it would not work. Peyri instead did a pained rolle, and she realized the paladin’s sword was still in her, and she withdrew it. Once it was no longer cutting her flesh, Peyri could feel the flow of the Leyas again.

She turned as the Goo Warrior charged her. Her lower left hand grabbed the monster’s outstretched claw at the wrist, and pulled it close. Her upper left hand brought the paladin’s sword slashing down with enough force to sever the claw in a single strike. The Goo Warrior hardened immediately, the high zela content in the metal of the sword enough to revert it to its natural form.

Peyri saw she was facing an alien known as an Annihilator and was suddenly terrified. She reached out to Captain Ouiz begging for any tactic or technique to defeat this dangerous enemy.

From across town, the elder Quall took control of her body. As the Annihilator buzzed at her, he raised her sword arm to parry the Annihilation wave with the zela sword rendering it harmless. Holding the severed annihilator hand in her lower hand like a punch dagger, he had Peyri drive it into the Annihilator’s exposed side over and over again. When the Annihilator tried to claw again at her, he had her bisect the creature’s head with a strike from below.

As it fell backwards dying it activated some sort of bomb. Peyri found herself in the yard outside the Pope’s manor house. The sword was clenched in a deathgrip in her hand. The pope’s villa was now on fire, but she could see her fellow scout nearby, holding the Pope unharmed.

Peyri signaled to Ouiz, “We have him, we have the pope. And Leonin knows him, I saw Leonin at his home.”

“But Leonin escaped, yes I know,” said Ouiz in a calming voice, “Flee the city by the most expedient path possible, you must take the Pope, as I am sending the rest of the scouts to create a diversion. Head back to the energy bridge on the hill. Take him back to the Queen. If I can, I will rendezvous with you there. If not it has been an honor serving alongside you.”

“What sort of Diversion?” asked Peyri a little worried after seeing the smoking crater that used to be the Merchant quarter.

“There are many hate filled Inquisitors who served alongside the Leonin,” replied Ouiz gravely, “The scouts will attack them and try and draw the EEFs attention. And then, you will have time to flee.”

“I do not know if I can do this Captain,” said Peyri with deep sadness, “I cannot feel the Queen’s presence and I worry I have done something to offend her. “

“Then do not fail her Peyri,” said Ouiz, “I will make sure you are safe. Now run.”

Part 5: Homecomings and Kidnappings

Ouiz and Peyri did successfully escape the city of Dunesphere. By the end of it, they were the only two to escape alive of the fifty Quall who prepared this morning for battle. They marked the names and faces of the Terror, General Vulrym, Childeen Blackheart, the OtO, Blackheart security, and the Lions of Earth as enemies of the Hive. As those who would defend the Mortis Leonin.

Ouiz’s last sight of Dunesphere was a city in turmoil. Two thirds of the city were still on fire, and its smoke spiraled up to the heavens to be seen for miles around.

Peyri had been far too busy dodging and fighting a masked Olgog who kept trying to gun her down as she escaped with the pope to notice how the city fared. The masked Olgog’s guns kept popping out of the shadows near her, and it finally cost the life of one of her fellow Scouts to take the hit and allow her to escape up and over the wall with her quarry.

She still felt taunted by the cheers of the EEF soldiers as they had watched the masked Olgog try and kill her. Is it any wonder that she thought them all just as evil as Leonin.

The zela sword she kept as they traveled, but the Annihilator’s claw she gave to her captain as tribute. As they traveled back to the landing site near Karov, he used strips of the annihilators own dried flesh to bind the claws creating four sets of extendable wrist blades.

Armed as they were, they arrived in the Land of the Quall. It was the first time home for either since they had been in the TemporalMax. This dimension was everything they remembered of it. The sulfurous smell, the heat, the bubbling lava. They were on a small obsidian island, overlooking a sea of fire. They stepped over to where another Quall held open a secondary energy bridge back to the planet Refuge.

Peyri asked telepathically, “What do you know of the Queen’s disappearance?”

“I know the landing site was attacked by Cloud Slavers and Karovian Olgogs. I know our queen went out to meet them bravely on the field of battle. Some she killed with her mighty poleaxe, others she implanted with her horn in the heat of battle. They attacked with a beast from the sky, and the sky was filled by the fire of the Queen’s reply.
The Cloud Slavers brought a deadly storm with them and its lightning was a challenge for some of our brothers. I am sure you heard their painful ends.”

As they talked telepathically, their Hivemind showed them accompanying images, smells and sounds from the battle. Within moments it was as if Ouiz and Peyri had taken part in it. Earlier their conscious minds had incorporated the data, but the pressing threats of the battle had kept it in the back of their mind so they could concentrate fully on the threats at hand. It was said that only the Queen or a HiveLord could see the entire Hive at once and truly understand all that was occurring. A Captain like Ouiz could extend his perspective to many, many Quall, but he had never tried to feel the fullness of the Hivemind.

But feeling the battle rage, Ouiz knew they were beset by different enemies. Enemies who didn’t seem to work together, except a pair. On one side of the landing zone, where the Quall were in a hand to hand melee with the Cloud Slavers, an Uthvelor warrior appeared, bearing an ancient blade the Hivemind remembered from long, long ago. Kedorox had ordered her soldiers to converge on him, claim the sword and return with it and the Uthvelor who carried it. Ouiz felt his hearts well with emotions as he thought of his now missing Queen.

He watched as the Uth slayed four of the finest Quall Warriors with his alien blade. The memories confirmed that the Uth was drawing upon the dreaded annihilation Leyas. Ouiz became deeply worried.

Now already three on the field of battle had displayed a forbidden and corrupting power of Annihilation. There was the EEF General who led the Lions of Earth, the Goo Warrior who had nearly slain Peyri Bluehoof, and now this swordsman who cut down Quall like they were simple cows to the slaughter.

Ouiz wanted to reach out to tell them to change their tactics, but he could not do so. At that moment in his own battle, he had been fighting off the Lions of Earth, and now it was hours later…too long to change time. And the Kefeda could only time travel with the Queen’s power to focus them.

Ouiz saw how the HIvemind had missed the little bastard, Grim, a face the Hiveminds knew all too well. They were so intent on that sword, as their Queen had commanded, that the bastard snuck into their fortified positions with ease. Ouiz grew enraged as he watched Grim ambush their queen, injecting her with an unknown substance that cut her off from the Hive.

The Uthvelor took this moment to cut his way between locations, annihilating time and space to get him next to the Queen. Together Uthvelor and Bastard lifted up the massive Quall HIveQueen and extracted her into another hole cut by the Uthvelor’s sword. The Karovians and the Cloud Slavers were driven back, by reinforcements from a tribe of Red Furs.
Ouiz’s mind raced. Was the Queen permanently or temporary cut off from them? Even if they recovered her, would they be able to fix whatever the Children of the Falosini assassins had done to her. Ouiz was about to lose all control when he felt

Peyri’s mind ask his, “Captain, what are your orders?”

“What?” he replied.

“The Queen is missing,” repeated Peyri, “You were assigned as my Captain before she left and she never rescinded that order. Vanguard Captain Ouiz Halfhorn, what are your orders?”

“Gather the greatest former Captains from the Hive, I wish to assemble a council to figure out how to move ahead,” said Ouiz slowly, he reached out to the newly hatched larva in the heads of Cloud Slavers returning to their city to the south. From them, he began learning about the lands they came from, and their mountain city of Deryyanheim. How they had come at the call of the Uhryu Bill, and now returned disheartened by their defeat at the hands of the Quall. Ouiz continued with his commands first to Peyri and then to other Quall in increasing numbers.

They prepared quickly. Within twenty four hours of the attack by the Karovians and the Cloud Slavers, the entire meteor fortress of the Kefeda was loaded and ready for transit. Ouiz had his Horned Dog Cloud Slavers secretly prepare an energy bridge to the land of the Quall.

Ouiz opened an energy bridge in the deserts of Karov, and had his Kefeda Quall concentrate their fire leyas to propel the meteorite fortress safely through the bridge between dimensions. Once in the Land of the Quall N’drone, they repeated the process through the energy bridge opened by the Horned Dog Cloud Slavers.

Hidden in the shadow of the Plateau City of Deryyanheim was a new Hive of Quall and their Red Fur allies. Would the Kefeda remain there, and hatch the implanted in the region? Or would they flee again with their stolen Pope to another location while hunting for Mortis Leonin?

Epilogue: The Hatred the Flows from Up on High

The next week had been putting out fires, propping up collapsing structures and counting the dead. The EEF had to ship in hundreds of thousands of Nanite syringes from offworld, because the local Oners wouldn’t accept any form of Leyas healing. Colony General Malthus and Field Marshall Strykker argued at length in their private hours about the amount the colonial military was spending on healing a populace who regularly perpetrated terrorist acts against the other colonies. Neither thought it would be morally okay to let the children and those who were simply trapped in the society they were born in to die because of the prejudices of their local colonial leaders.

At the end of the week, both men sat down to a letter delivered by Major General Terror and General Vulfrym from the government of Dunesphere.

It advised them of the terms of a new set of laws passed in Dunesphere after the attack by the Quall. These were terms of course, not negotiations or offerings. The government of Dunesphere knew under their colonial charter the EEF could not dictate to them their laws or governing policies.

Field Marshall Strykker was only half-joking when they suggested to just let the city burn itself to the ground and let them reintegrate the Oners into other colonies down south with stricter anti-racism laws. Then let the local law enforcement sort them out if they stepped out of line.

But it also gave a time when the Inquisitor Lord Siedermann and EEF Liason Clive Siedermann would be giving a joint speech on behalf of the Dunesphere government.

They put on their holoscreen and began to watch the local news at the appointed time.

They saw a carefully prepared ceremony, and finally the Inquisitor Lord standing before the assembled masses at Dunesphere’s only truly saved building, the historic Cathedral of Man, which had been protected by Blackheart Security and the Lions of Earth from all attack during the battle.

The elder Inquisitor Lord who had been nearly a heretic months earlier was now in the reigns of the Dunesphere government, but how he worded it was so wonderfully diplomatic. He stood before the news cameras and said, “My fellow citizens of Dunesphere, I warned you two years ago when my beloved home of Bartsport was destroyed by the devil-worshippers to the south that Dunesphere would feel the wrath of the ungodly soon enough.

I did not want it to be prophecy, simply a news forecast based on TRUTHS available to me at the time.
The Pope has been kidnapped by the demons called Quall. They will do horrible things to him. They will test his faith. But…”
And he let that silence linger for a long while.

“I also know that he will face his challenge and come through with GOD’s own protection!” said the Inquisitor Lord, and the crowd exploded in cheers.

“And so will we, and so will you all at home,” continued the wiley Inquisitor Lord, “Your faith in God will be hold your greatest relief in this time of hardship and rebuilding. Even now the EEF and my new government will track down the Pope and if its God’s will we will rescue him. And if it is not Gods will that the Pope be saved, let him always be known as one of the Devout Martyrs of the Church. For he opened our eyes to truth hidden to us.

THE GOBLINS ARE NOT DEMONS. They are no more demons, than an ape or a monkey back on earth. In fact my research proves without a doubt that the Goblins are no more demons than Kue’los and Spitting Vings are demons. You farmers call those Refugian Primates Poop Monkeys and you are right enough, because they serve a similar purpose in God’s natural world here, as the monkey serves on Earth.

And like the big hairy ape, the Goblin probably serves some purpose in Gods mysterious plan on this alien world. And just like the big hairy ape can be taught to communicate, the Goblin can learn our language well enough, as long as you forgive their ignorance and accents.

In fact like well trained pet monkey, the Goblin can even be taught to serve man as a guardian protecting him much as we all witnessed in the past few weeks. The EEF has made good work in using Goblins for certain duties, and the new government of Dunesphere things we can too.

But we have to be careful citizens. Goblins like children and the mentally unbalancd can easily be manipulated by Demons and worse, like those Quall N’drone who attacked our city. Did you see their size and their flames. Their hooves and the marks they left and burned into the floors of our churches and homes prove the Quall were truly evil doesn’t it??

Now we all witnessed the Masked Olgog who saved many from being taken by the Quall. We have not gotten confirmation on how he did what he did. If it was Human technology advanced enough that the peasants didn’t understand it, then he will be given the highest commendation and medal a soulless animal can receive in Dunesphere, the Blessed Steed of St. Dugari. Showing the animal’s great service to Dunesphere.

We have offered the same along with barrels of the liquor they so love to the primates…err Goblins of the Lucky Fate squad who did hard labor to build us escape tunnels that saved so many lives. They used beasts of burden, much as the ape might ride the mule, and we were so proud of their ingenuity in making sure to bless the tunnels with crosses so all our blessed people would be protected in their escape. Special thanks to Nelios Daph-Tagnon for helping these animals find a good spot to dig in our fair city.

Also we offer the Blessed Steed of St. Dugari medal to the Glog of the Orlur for saving so many of our people during the battle. Again it is ingenious to see how the primates employ other animals to help them. Now some people swore they saw a demon flying around, but I will tell you it is simply a dinosaur leashed by this Glog fellow. Though many have spoke of dark horrifying bags with monsters inside them and endless death. For those who bring these allegations against Glog, I say, Let him come here and dedicate his service to the One true god, and show he has given up any sorcerous ways and he will be welcomed to Dunesphere.

You see that the real announcement I wish to make. The Goblins, as long as they abstain from all sorcery, will be welcomed in Dunesphere for their service in these days. They may not own property or livestock. They may not hold public office. They may not preach or parrot any religions or paganisms they have learned outside holy Dunesphere. But they may travel freely without fear of death for the first time since their blasphemous revolts caused us to have to start a Goblin Genocide against the unruly ones who acted like monsters. Just like a rabid ape must be put done, so a rabid goblin should be culled. But peaceful ones who don’t steal, don’t rape and don’t litter will be allowed free passage, and may even take jobs as indentured servants.

In fact all Goblins currently in work camps will be freed if they devote one year of service to rebuilding broken Dunesphere with hard work, mattocks, chisels and natural wood, stone and iron like god intended. And if they can restrain themselves from using the Easy Way, the Way of the LEFT HAND. Idle hands do the devils work. But we can give them holy work and a path for release back into the wild.

I also ask that all citizens refrain from throwing rotten fruits and other refuse at the Goblins who visit our land. Especially those in uniform.

So once again we are proud to announce the support for this new recognized status for the Goblins in our land as intelligent animals. And we thank them, as we thank the loyal dog and the loyal horse for their service in the defense of the Dunesphere people.

When you go home today you should serve an extra ration of food to your pets and service animals, in honor of the Goblins who fought in our defense against the Evil Quall.

Now allow me to present my descendant, Clive Siedermann with a word from the EEF.”

Major General Terror looked at Malthus in surprise, “Did you authorize an official statement yet, sir?”

“No I don’t remember doing such a thing,” said Malthus.

The news continued, with Clive Siedermann stepping up to the podium, “The EEF Liason office has the following to stay.

The EEF is pleased to hear the Dunesphere government dissuading violence against the Olgog peoples. All citizens of Dunesphere, if you are found attacking any officer of the EEF in uniform, you will be executed on sight, no matter the species or origins of that EEF officer.

With that said, we make no comment on the other statements made by Lord Siedermann. With the signatures of the Nobles of Dunesphere, we are moving into a new more enlightened era in Dunesphere. The EEF and the Colonial Military hopes this expanded tolerance and acceptance continues so all colonists can focus on our true enemy, the Quall N’drone.

Thank you for your time.”

Malthus sat back and waited a few moments before saying, “Jeremiah send a gift basket over to our boy on the ground Clive. That was the most diplomatic answer I could have imagined. Though it does tacitly show approval for Lord Siedermann’s interim government.”

“Do you think he is in the Inquisition’s pocket?” asked Strykker with genuine concern.

“I’ve see a lot of liars, this boy Clive is not one of them. He genuinely thinks he sits on the cusp of history. It’s the old man Lord Siedermann we have to watch out for. The VLAD agency reports finger him as a closet Warmonger Cultist. Then again he hasn’t been the same since the Olgogs flash froze his family,” said Colony General Malthus reaching forward and shutting off the holovid display, “Now we have a missing Pope, a dangerous Quall Hive on the loose near the Provisional Colonies in the south, and an active coup de’etat in Dunesphere. I guess it must be Tuesday.”

“What are your orders, sir?” asked General Vulfrym.

“Return to the south lands, see if you can track down the missing Quall N’drone or the Pope,” said Malthus looking at Terror and Vulfrym, “Strykker and I will navigate the matter with the Quall HiveQueens council and the Iron Republic. Technically the Quall Hive entered Refuge unexpectedly and without proper permits. Especially since they attacked a Colony in violation of the Peace of Falos treaty of 2218. It may give us the stronger position in negotiations.”

IMPORTANT MISSION INFORMATION: NO PLAYER HAS ANY CHARACTERS THAT KNOW WHERE THE QUALL HAVE FLED TO. THIS NEXT FEW WEEKS MAY SHOW HOW A QUALL HIVE GROWS…I SAY MAY BUT I DO NOT WANT PLAYERS METAGAMING THE KNOWLEDGE OF WHERE THE QUALL ARE. LETS ALL AGREE TO LET IT PLAY OUT NATURALLY.

Rewards

Blackheart Security gains Seven Contracts for Bodyguard services for Dunesphere nobles totaling 5,000 ghaz in payments. This 5,000 ghaz can be claimed only in material payment. Material choices are Steel, Copper, Marble, or Cattle (50 head of fine Earth Cattle).

Godart, Olgog the Olgog, Lalder, Unit 817, Orlur, Yagagoial the Og’ab, Yohai, and Grim
gain Reward worth 1 Special Training cost up to 5 pts. (this may not be combined with other points or other rewards) this benefit can only be allocated to the character involved in this mission.

GultorUf gain KalokLur gains the blessings of the Fire Gods. The Red Furs may now post in the Kefeda Asteroid Thread. KalokLur gains Faith +1 when serving the Quall. Uhryu bill gains no reward because Bill+ OtO attacked Quall, while Kaloklur helped Quall. Kaloklur was not in violation but Bill was for working on same side as his own Merc Character (OtO).

Godart, OtO, Lalder, Orlur may choose to come to Dunesphere and collect their Steed of St. Dugari Medal. Medal bonuses unknown until collected. Be wary of entering into Dunesphere to collect these Medals if you have any Leyas active.

Captain Axis gains Suicidal Loyalty. All his Goo Warriors have now been programmed to kill themselves in his name.

The Terror, General Vulrym and Lord Grimaldus gains Additional Support from the EEF. They each have access to a single Bastion Siege Strider that is being stationed outside of Dunesphere. Only one of the three players may use this Siege Strider each Week’s missions so it is a reward they must share. But it may be deployed in an unlimited number of missions or until it is destroyed in a mission. Use this EPIC reward with restraint and care.

Four new threads will be added this week (links will appear as they go active)

The Kefeda Asteroid accessible by KaLokLur, The Ka Gor Tribe and Khalid Phoenixkiller only (for now)

EEF Bastion Siege Strider 9 accessible by Lord Grimaldus, Field Marshall Strykker, BlackhartSecurity, The Terror, Celyse, Te Te and General Vulfrym.

The Floating Castle of Yohaicurrently accessible by Yohai and Grim.

Ceremony of the Steed of St. Dugari accessible by Godart, Orlur, OtO, Lalder, for the characters who take part in this mission.