To the Victor Go the Spoils

“We do not seek to fight with the Chuch of One, they attack us and causes final death. And who is to say we do not heal them? Or one of their priest uses those artifacts of theirs to bring them back? As for killing more I hope to meet no more of them for the rest of my days.” Gar’abs words did not falter as he spoke, though he could feel his leg start to give way.

Candy giggled some more, "Bring them back? If you did that then you must truly hate them, do you want me to tell you what would happen then? They would go home, tell their leaders what happened, then their masters will accuse them of witchcraft and consorting with the devil. They will then be tortured, crucified and burned just like they would do to any of you. Most likely their families then would be suspected of consorting with demons, and if they are lucky, they will just be tortured for a while before being put into indentured servitude for the rest of their lives.

As for not wanting to fight them? From what I have seen in my trip down south your brethren don’t seem to share that sentiment. You all are throwing yourselves into war so fast even the Church seems to have been taken off guard. Did you try to talk to these poachers? Did anyone try to get them to leave without killing them? No, you all just butchered them so wonderfully, you don’t know how sad I am to have missed it.

As for not meeting more, well you will be seeing more, these wagons were intended for their people, they will freeze this winter without these hides, they will keep coming back because if they don’t then their people will die." Candy’s eyes seem to almost glow with her smile growing disturbingly large “they will freeze and suffer, their masters will tell them it is because of you that they suffer so. They will then either freeze to death or throw themselves against you in a desperate attempt at getting warm clothing.
The fools will live and die in ignorance and pain, the very thought gives me a warm feeling inside. You all did good today, if we are lucky, hundreds will freeze to death. That will teach them to have been born in Dunesphere!
Unless they come back of course, you think you can kill those too? Can I watch?”

“Their problem isn’t that they’re Earther, it’s that they raid our lands and kill our people without regard. We do a good enough job killing each other, but at least we trade. They won’t trade. Get them to trade, and we will gladly give them hides.” This strange Earther was divulging much information to them. Backhandedly, but definitely giving information. “We do not kill for pleasure. Will not kill for your pleasure either.” He really didn’t like this Earther.

"Ah, but it is an eternal cycle, they attack you, you attack them, they attack you, you attack them. Both sides have shed so much blood, you hold yourselves blameless? You are as vicious as they are, yet you know better then most of them, that kinda makes you a bit worse now don’t it?
As for trade, heh, I hear that Simonsburg has fallen to Olgogs, you should check the place out, see the treasures of the town. It is dirt and shit. These people have nothing, now the rulers of Dunesphere have treasure, but these people here? They are given weapons and told that if they don’t fight you then you will slaughter them. You do a fine job of convincing them otherwise, those bodies out there? (pointing to the bodies of the poachers) What will happen when the church collects them and shows the citizens of Jamesville and other towns? They will see the bodies of the soldiers who were slaughtered for hunting animals. They will see people who tried to provide for the poor people who have nothing, they will see them mutilated and what will be their reaction? They will be convinced that everything they have heard about you is true. All the stories, all the lies, you are turning them into the truth. This is the true victory of the Church of One, you turn into the monsters that they claim.

There are plenty of Olgogs who raid and kill with no regard, even some who kidnap and sell their fellow Olgogs as slaves, they attack the Church, and the Church blames all. Why shouldn’t they? You do nothing to prove them wrong. Did you try to turn those humans away before you butchered them? You say that you do not enjoy the killing, i say you lie, someone who did not enjoy killing would try to find peaceful solutions. I see no dead Olgogs, did these humans even see you coming? Did they even have a chance to beg for their lives? I see wonton butchery, quite nicely done. Your words claim one thing, your actions show that death was your only objective, don’t feel ashamed, enjoy this, not like you are trying for any other result then to bathe in their blood. "

“My tribes Elders talked of several tribes who met with an Earther from the Church of One. When we try to find peace or even a chance to live on our own lands, they seek to kill tribes that have been here far longer then they have been around. They killed our people and those that do not seek them. Please tell us, how should we react when they slaughter all that they fear? Should we just end this fight now by killing ourselves? I will not. I will fight for olgogs. Any who break the laws of our lands must be punished, no matter who or what they are.” Gar’ab could feel his fear being replaced with anger. This Earther could not really think that they should do nothing while they are slaughtered by these monsters. Could she?

"You say that several tribes have met with a church of one member, yet they seek to kill all tribes? Why would they meet with you if they sought to kill everyone?
As for how should you react? How should they react to the destruction of Bartsport? How should they react to the sacking of Simonsburg? You bring up their crimes, which are legion no one can deny but then ignore your own. They aren’t the only ones who slaughter all they fear, those bodies prove that you do the exact same thing.

As for the laws of your lands, do they know them? Do you have clear defined boarders of your lands? Do you have signs displaying your laws? I am traveling and most of the time i have no idea whose lands i am passing by most of the time. Your hatred colors your perspective, you apply rules to those who have no idea that there are rules.
How many people died in Bartsport? What if the rules of the Church of One demand that one Olgog die for every human who died? If that was one of their rules would you accept that? Of course not, you didn’t know that rule, you probably weren’t a part of that slaughter. However according to you it doesn’t matter if someone knows a rule or not, they deserve punishment regardless. However you don’t want it if you are to the be the one punished, arbitrary rules are evil, no matter if they have them or you have them. You are a hypocrite, you want them to do what you want and see things from your perspective but you aren’t willing to learn anything about them! You don’t care about their rules, or their people but demand that they care about yours! This war is as much your fault as it is theirs as you are guilty of the same sin of ignorance and cruelty.

Should you lay down and die? Of course not, you should defend yourself but you should do it in a responsible manner. If someone is hunting in your lands you confront them and give them warning, you try to work out a deal. If they become violent then you respond with violence. You all condemn them for crucifying other Olgogs while leaving their cut up bodies in the sun to rot. You are the same as they are, why do you think the Colonies up north don’t care about you? They see what you do and believe you are just as bad as the Church. You are violent and cruel, you slaughter anyone even if they don’t know your laws without bothering to try to give warning or educate. Heaven forbid i would have broken some law by coming near you while you were talking, you might have simply attacked me! If you want people to take your rules and laws seriously then they should know about them.
If they still attempt to kill them then you can stop them, but until act like more then just savages the world will keep looking upon you as a savage.
Don’t get me wrong, i am loving this violence, as long as you and the church keep butchering each other this entire territory will be filled with fear and pain and that is alright by me, good for business also. I sell armor by the way, planning on eventually branching out to weapons but need to pick up a supplier for it.

Dar’ab turned to the other olgogs and said “While I would like to stay and talk trade Ifind that I can not stay here. Please come to Or’Lur a moon from now if you still seek to trade.” he turned and walked in the direction of Tla’Loc al, his eyes a glow with anger and his arms smoking.

(OCC darn rl, so much happened while I was offline.)

Tlalur watched the argument, but one point wasn’t noted. “We have tribes like Dar’ab’s trying to get all Gogs to try and talk first with the Church of One. But when ever they see our kind, they attack. They don’t respect any tribes borders. They hunt our animals. They took over 2 cartloads of hides. That there was armed warriors. I think you call them Paladins.” Tlalur points to the human corpses. He continues “Those bodies won’t be around in the morning. Also Burying dead here doesn’t do much good when most of the predators burrow.”

Tlalur, then said “We have tribes that are trying to pull this conflict back, especially Dar’ab’s tribe. They and other members of the union are meeting with as many tribes to try and resolve any conflicts. Or at least minimize any escalation. But if they church doesn’t stay out, these battles will continue.”

Tlalur paused for a second, then said: “Also, the reason we don’t write down Laws is that Gogs don’t write. Older Gogs pass down information to younger gogs. As for signs, tribes do mark their territories with their tribe symbols. You might not recognize them, but they are there.”

Tlalur asked “Question. Have you, an alone trader, been attacked in these lands by Gogs?”

Candy nodded, "I have been attacked on three separate occasions, well, two and a half. The first time in the north by a small group of Feral olgogs, then near Karov by a group of raiders, finally just yesterday by a group of three Church of Oners. Well three Squires, they got too interested in the inside of my wagon, I offered them my papers but they still wouldn’t take the hint.
All three groups went the same way, I take invasions of my privacy seriously, I crippled their legs, created a shadow above them to block the sun then allowed their fears to create nightmares which were allowed to devour them. Their screams were quite delightful each time.

As for signs you might want to make them more conspicuous, i rarely see them, and I doubt those Church hunters saw them either. As for them being armed, do you hunt animals unarmed? I mean I do but i rely on the leyas rather then stabbing.
As for the lack of writing, you might want to get on that. A pile of rocks, or some pieces of wood placed in designs tend to be unclear, a warning could well be taken as a mock, or a welcome sign, or a signpost to prevent people to get lost. You may know what it means doesn’t mean that I will.

As for the meeting of Tribes, i have heard that some tribes are gathering others for an invasion force. The tribes you know might be gathering for non violent purposes but others aren’t. Without proper distinction between the groups how can outsiders tell the difference? We see forces gathering and then we see towns being attacked, people being slaughtered by giant frost storms. How would you react if a group of outsiders exterminated several villages and began to amass a huge force together? You would naturally assume that they are planning to continue attacking villages, so naturally you would try to stop it.

Look, i am not saying you should let the Church of One wipe you out, I am saying that you need to see the situation from all sides. Know that the humans who live in this area need things to survive too, and not all of them are guilty of murder, many are but there are just as many innocents. If you are going to fight feel free, just don’t argue that your side is innocent of crimes and say you are justified because others are mean too. Accept your sins and do not think that just because some humans are ignorant and don’t know any better it doesn’t mean that you can just slaughter people. They have been raised to believe a certain way, they do not know any better, you do.

Tlalur said “I understand the problem of some fighting and some planning for peace. And I guess as you earthers see all Gogs as one, some gogs don’t see the difference between people living in some towns with the Church troops based there. And that is a problem. I will raise your point of view to my elders to make sure they consider that side.”

Tlalur said “If you wish to visit Tla’Loc al area, have a Gog who looks like me bring you. That is deep in gog lands, and their are many other dangers than our gogs.”

Candy smiles "Oh I will be safe where ever I go, you don’t have to worry about me. If your people wish, I do make fine quality nightmare hide armor, I trade for simple things basically whatever your tribe makes most of. I take those simple things and trade them up north in the colonies, Olgog made objects can make money for tourists and people who like “tribal/savage” goods.

Tlalur ponders, “My tribe could use Hides. Nightmare Hide armor would work as substitute.” He then says “Would wood Olgog Hunting Spears work as an trade for nightmare hide armor? These are the types of spears made by tribes in our area. How many Nightmare Hide armors do you have to trade, and how many spears would you want in exchange?”

Tlalur continues “I could use up to 20 to 40 nightmare hide armors. They would need to be for my size Gogs. We have been having issues getting hides for the winter. We have a solution for keeping warm when winter hits, but we don’t have the hides to make clothing. The hide armor will work for that.”

(just for the sake of organization, please make the request in the Weapons and Armor trade thread)

Hikiti looked at the Earther, after spending considerable time listening to what she said. Despite her tone, she made some valid points that he would bring to Urog. “One question. How do our kind communicate with theirs? We get too close, and they kill us. We don’t have a written language, most of us don’t speak Earther and they don’t speak Olgog. In fact, you are one of the few Earthers who have ever spoken Olgog to us.”

"Oh I do not know your language, it is rough on my throat, I use the leyas to translate my words to you and your words to me.
It will be tough but you will need to wait until you can find someone on their side willing to talk, it will not be easy, but after long periods of blood shed there will always be some, however few who will be tired of fighting and dying. Remember they dislike you the same way you dislike them, they also have the church forcing their hatred upon them. It will be hard for them to forget a life time of thinking one way.

Sadly you must be the bigger people in this, no matter how tough they try to be, they are likely scared of you too. After all, with the recent fall of Simonsburg they will be frightened and angry. Things are tense at the moment, both sides are angry which is understandable during a time of eleveated hostility. However both sides need to grow up and realize that no one truly gains by continued fighting…well I might since I sell armor (and hopefuly in the future weapons!) So feel free to purchase armor just in case!"

Hikiti thought about this, “One last question: Why do they think we’re demons?”

Candy frowned, "Short answer is when a man or woman is born in the territory controlled by Dunesphere they are taught that anyone non human is either a demon or spawned from demons. It is a method of control, the people fear you and believe that only the Church can keep them safe. They are also taught that any human that uses the leyas has made a deal with the devil to get powers and thus is damned. This is also for a reason, they don’t want people to believe they can live without a protection of the Church, thus they lose their power. That is at least the current reasons.
The long answer as to when did it start and why? Well unfortunately that is beyond me, early colonial history is not my strong point, i am more into current events rather then the past.

The humans outside the Church structure itself tend to be simple folk who live simple lives in ignorance. They are farmers, laborers who simply do what they are told because they are kept in fear, they fear you and thus do what the church says. Even the Squires and Paladins you fight are kept ignorant, they are taught that they have to fight to keep the people safe against corruption and to save the souls of humanity. They do not know any better and are simply the tools of the Church.
The Church itself and its leaders are the true enemies, everyone else is simply a patsy being used to keep the masterminds in power."

“So how are we supposed to tell them not to hunt in our lands if most of us can’t even communicate with them?”

"Not to hunt? Well, as long as they lack resources they will attempt to gather some. The towns here are shipped the bare minimum of food and water to survive, if they hunt it means that they foresee a lack of resources. They hunt for the same reason you do, because without it they will either starve or freeze. Do not think that they will simply accept that his attempt failed, they will either try again or attempt to hurt you for stopping them.

Just like you, they will not stop unless they have enough to survive. The people sending out the hunting parties aren’t the ones in command, they are the ones on the lower end of the spectrum, they do it because they feel they have to. Notice that they passed by small tribes to get here, they were after game, not you. I would not be surprised if they honestly thought they were doing you a favor by doing this, which is why they are going to be extra upset by this."