The Wealth of Brez

Here the Gang of Uf Mag’og, Derlur and the Nomads, and Daron the Dragon must decide the fate of the Great Sapphire of Brez. Its worth is nearly pricless, and could be traded for so much. The question is what to trade it for?

King Urog was still shocked that the Mag Auf Yyanyi had lured them all as he did. In his tent were a motley crew led by what Vektor had called an “odd” Brezan. Vektor vouched for the group’s fighting prowess, but had no confidence in their social behavior. Urog had no idea how to interpret that. Then there was their ally and Hikiti’s former student, the Olgog Daron.

Arguably, Urog didn’t need the gem. It did him no good having something so valuable but useless to his fellow olgog. He needed to find someone who would want such a gem, figure out what they would offer, and then come to agreement with the fellow owners of the gem. Problem was, how to find that person?

Urog looked up at those in the tent, “So, what do you each want?”

Derlur smiled at the one who called himself ‘King.’ He then looked at Daron.

“Daron, I owe ye some ur’sa’or lessons. If ya keep ta yer word, I’ll keep to mine. My boy, Smith, will teach you ur’sa’or.” He looked at Urog, “I want many ‘tings from ye. But firs’… we gotta trade the gem. Whaddaya wan’? Waddaya need?”

Urog wondered what game the strange Brezan was playing. He wished he left this to Vektor, as he was always the better barterer.

“I need more knowledge of healing, more builders, more armor for my olgog, more stalkers and other beasts to ride into battle, and better knowledge of artisanship such as weapons, armor, and daily use items.”

Daron says "I will keep to that Derlur. The knowledge is what I can take with me and what I value.

Urog, would any of the other tribes have a need for this? I know in the colonies you could find a buyer, well, as long as that buyer didn’t decide to just take the gem after they see it. You’ll have to be careful on that.

Maybe the VoF would have interest into the gem? They could provide what you are looking for.
"

(OOC I don’t have my books right now, but I think thats our protector colony, the lost colony.)

Urog nodded at Daron with a hint of a smile. Vektor had been right about Daron, straightforward sort of gog.

"Well, I could have Vektor approach Sira. But I want more than one taker. There are the K’iou. Their greed for gems is well known among us. Any other takers?

Derlur shrugged. “I did be seein’ the K’iou. ‘Pendin’ on wat ya want I can be arrangin’ other meetin’s… maybe.”

Urog sighed. He wasn’t getting anywhere. He might as well lay it all on the line.

“Well, I’d want about 40 pieces of armor, large enough for my gang. Armorfiend hide is my preference. Reshed would be nice also. Otherwise, lesser armor for greater numbers. I want beasts to ride. I prefer Stalkers. 40-60 of them. Otherwise, a mix of Rapions and Mal’ie, 60-80. I want at least a few of my gangers to learn Healing. I also want wards and/or grounding ward against ka to protect against der’na. Enough to protect enough areas for my territory. How’s that?”

“Ye can get more,” Derlur said. “But I ‘ave an idea bout wat yer talkin’ ‘bout. Problem iz dat we won’ be gettin’ all dat from one trade. We mus’ trade da gem firs’, get the bes’ deal, and den be findin’ da others. I say we shud be gettin’ triple dat. Now fer my terms. Firs, we will teach Daron ur’sa’or. Secun, we want full prote’tion in Brez. Like Citizens. United Tribes’ o’ Der’al type. That mean shelter, grub, transpor’ if we be going same way, whole nine. You be creatin’ 'home fer us. Third, I get to make extra trades, ‘bout one o’ ten total be mine. And I 'elp you fence the rock. Deal?”

Urog sniffed. He got his answer. The strange ones wanted free passage and protection in Brez and the new United Tribes of Der’al territory. He knew he was lost without Derlur in this trade, but giving so much would be risky.

“If you wish to be a citizen of Brez, you would be subject directly to my rule and become a member of my Gang. The Brezans wouldn’t have it any other way. That means my rules, my ways, always. The second option would be not become a citizen, but have you and your friends join the Great Northern Army. You keep your own gang rules. You only have to follow me if our lands get attacked. Even then, only the olgog would be expected to come.” He looked at Kokiyo and and Derlur. “And we can work that out if we must. This option allows you the most freedom, provided you show your Great Northern Army colors. You would, of course, have to be presented to the other gangs and clans, but that can be arranged. Based on your heroics, the other Kingz and Raiders would approve. Your choice.”

He then looked at Derlur, impassively, waiting for his response.

“AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAH!!!”

Derlur laughed loudly, filled with mirth and boisterousness. He was had. The one who called himself King probably didn’t even realize how smartly he played his cards. Do Brezans have cards? He never checked. Either way, he had two choices. Submit to Urog, or appear to. He liked neither. But the Brezan ruler offered him two reasonable options, and gave him and his friends legitimacy. Granted, he and his friends could conveniently disappear if needed, but that wasn’t the point. But he knew he had a mission, and he knew his fate was tied to the Brezan King’s … for now.

“Ye win, Urog. Grea’ Northern Army i’ is. But know this,” his look turned hard, “we’ll not be followin’ ye blindly. If we’s wants, we’s leave. So don’ disappoin’.”

Urog was startled by laughter. Unexpected response, he thought to himself. This wandered concerned him. When the strange Brezan finished speaking, he paused and considered.

“Alright then. My army grows. What’s the next step with the gem?”

“Urog, ye gunna luv dis.” He grinned widely, with a bit of mischief behind it. “Dere be o’ly three or four folk dat ‘ave the kind of bartering power for dis: the keeyoo, mag auf yyanyi, the keeyorn, and the Mag Buskt. Pro’lem i’ dat nunn o’ dem ‘ave evr’thin’ we wan’. So we go to da one who can give us da mos’ barterin’… da Mag Buskt. We git da mos’ we can, den we go to da oth’rs to git wat we wan’.” He shrugged, for emphasis and to show it was the best plan he had.

“From der, we trade for yer armor, yer namilils, and wha’ever ye wan’.”

Urog really hated this. Nothing seemed straightforward here. It sounded too easy. The Mag Buskt was on the other side of the continent. How was he going to get that much trade from there to here. He would need to send the Censor-Craft. He didn’t like it, but it was the fastest and most secure way. Otherwise it would take at least a week, if not longer, to go back and forth. But the Censor-Craft wasn’t discreet either, he thought to himself.

“Ok. I give it to you, you know the best value of the gem. But we do this may way. Small party only. I don’t want to make that big a deal of it. When we’re ready to head out, you, Hikiti, Tusk will go to the Mag Buskt. You’ll take a pilot and a comm crystal. Other than those of us here, nobody knows what we’re doing. In the mean time, the K’iou and Vektor will talk to the trading tent of Aori Steel Smile and see what she’s asking for. Then we’ll figure out the animals once we get back.”

The hostility surprised Derlur. He smiled, knowing he had gotten underneath the great and mighty Urog’s fur. Father would be so proud.

“Yer rules.” He held his hands up, showing capitulation. “Quicker da better. Le’s be goin’.”