The search through the Ruins of Brez for the Gang of Uf Mag'og

After leaving the campsite of the Merchant of Death, Nngao the disgraced K’iorn Dra’koon traveled north seeking word of the Gang of Uf Mag’og who had offered home and food in exchange for his extra axe.
No one seemed to have any information about the Gang yet outside of Brez. Hopefully someone inside Brez could direct him to the Gang’s lands.

Goblin King Urog and his second in command, Vektor, did not know if the famed K’iorn Nngao would accept their offer. They would send Ur Rhug younglings throughout Brez, in cover of shadows, to find him. One day, one Ur Rhug by the name of Hikiti, named in the Earther fashion, saw the K’iorn walking towards the outskirts of Brez. He waited for there to be no other witnesses before making himself known to the strange-looking K’iorn.

“If you are the K’iorn known as Nngao, I think you are here at our invitation.” He said, from the shadows.

“They always send children,” murmered Nngao, taking it to be a bad omen for the people he would be meeting. What smart parent would allow their child to meet someone so disgraced as he was? Were I a monster like nngao Wirith, I would kill the child here and now and feast upon his pain and lifeforce… Nngao thought to himself darkly. But even though my son, K’ain might have succumbed to those predilections my own heart never tasted such tormented fruits, Nngao continued obsessing, obsessing on the past, the present, and his failures. When he finally looked back up at the Ur Rhug Hikiti, he offered a hand in friendship and waited to see if the young olgog would take it.
“I am the one who bears the title of disgrace,” said Nngao introducing himself.

Hikiti looked at the strange K’iorn warily. His people were not used to this kind of greeting. His older brother used to speak of Earther customs, but his brother died a year ago, which was before he joined Urog’s new gang. He looked at the hand, unsure of how to respond. He remembered his purpose, the K’iorn was looking for shelter, and did not look as if he were trying to subjugate the young Olgog. This person is not from around here, that’s for sure “I’m Hikiti, here to lead to you our territory. Goblin King Urog sends his warm greetings.” He pauses as he talks, “Why do you have your hand out like that?”

“Simple, young one,” replied Nngao, sliding the Zela dagger back into its hidden sheath with his other hand "To see if you were a K’ias or a Doppelganger sent to steal my form. Take me to this Olgog Urog who wishes to be called a Goblin King. And while we walk, young one, entertain me with a story of the greatest foe you have ever bested in single combat. "

Hikiti did not know what a K’ias or a Doppelganger was, but he wasn’t going to show his complete ignorance to the K’iorn. “It’s not much of a walk, there are a lot of short cuts. We’ll be walking through shadows to get there. But first, let’s get to a good shadow.” As he led Nngao through the rubble, he began his tale, non-chalantly. “I was up against a wild Stalker. My brother was injured and couldn’t fight, so I created a spear from the shadows and stabbed it in the face as it lunged at me. My brother said it was the day I became an adult. He’s dead now.” He paused, as if to say more, “Here we are. I want to hear your story next.” Waiting for Nngao, he began to summon the Leyas, and reached out to the K’iorn, waiting for contact to shadow-walk them both through.

Nngao watched from a few rooftops away, his shapeshifted deadly copy had been taken in by the Gang of Uf Mag’og. If their intentions were genuine he would switch places in a few days and begin enjoying the food and liquor he had traded for, but until then he would watch and wait.

Meanwhile the Nngao who was standing next to Hikiti took the juvenile’s hand saying “Lead the way.”

As they traveled Nngao said, “I have faced most dangerous things that walk the distant shores. But it was not the most dangerous foe nor was it the largest nor the strongest who was my greatest foe. It is myself. And the only time i bested my greatest foe in single combat was when I stood over the body of my son. He had taken the path of the vampyr attempting to avenge himself on the Earthers for their killing of his mother. The Church of One Bishop Kasanth, and Cristos Dugari, the former Blood Pope, had captured my son and were preparing to execute him and grant him final death. Instead I defeated them both, lopped off one of Kasanth’s arms before driving them off, and I saved my son. And despite my greatest desire to grant him final death for his crimes against nature for becoming a cursed fear-eater, I bested myself and held my hand. I sealed him under the Howling Mountain instead of destroying him. And though it took hundreds of years, he eventually cured his curse and now stands as next in line for the throne of S’vana.”

Though despite the nature of the story, Nngao did not seem proud of the tale.

Hikiti listened to the tale of Nngao as they walked through Brez, shadow-walking and avoiding other territories. When the K’iorn’s tale was done, they had nearly reached their destination.

“We Brezans don’t live that long to live with regret. It would be nice to see my brother again… wait, you lifted a mountain!!! Wow!”

The pair reached the edge of the gang’s territory. They were on the outskirts of town. The buildings were destitute, but many had roofs or makeshift ones. The Maliez were roving the area while tribesmen tended to the sorriest of “gardens” there were scouts on roofs, mostly younglings, and large Olgogs roaming on Stalkers.

“We’re almost there”

Nngao was already unimpressed with what he was seeing, definitely not the open plains the Karovians were enjoying. But there was shelter, and to have stalkers like that they had to have food.

Now the only question in his mind was how was the liquor. It wouldn’t equal his tenure as bouncer of the Andovino Inn drinking with Drousou Brand, but the Olgogs did some interesting things with fermenting Nanye pears.

“Before we meet your King, young one, I ask what happened to your brothers body? You have mentioned he died as all living things do,” asked Nngao absentmindedly, “And yet you did not bring him back with your own life force? Could you not bring a piece of your brother to an Auf or an Uhryu to be resurrected?”

Out of the corner of his eye he noticed a flicker in Hikitis Leyas Aura at the mention of Hikitis deceased family.

“I was younger than I am now. I knew a lot less of things. I was good with Shadow, not so good with anything else. I let the Goblin King Kishan take care of the body. I don’t know what happened after that.” Hikiti paused, “Kishan was killed by Urog, the one you’ll be meeting.”

He looked at Nngao, not knowing what else to do, unsure of how he should be acting as his emotions swirled inside him.

The young Olgog leads Nngao into the presence of the Goblin King Urog Uf Mag’og. Nngao had to admit a mixture of nervousness.
While some Olgogs remembered The Nngao as the hero who killed many Church of One Zealots and saved many Olgogs during the Goblin Genocide.
Others simply knew him as a wanted K’ion.
And still others had just heard the legend of The Nngao, who helped kill a Domino Memory Clone who had tried setting himself as “The Nightmare Lord King of Brez”, which drove out the nightmare army. The Infamous Group 2 and Nngao had helped saved countless young Brezans and gave the city back to the Olgogs, but never asked for anything in return.

Urog was pondering his situation when he saw Hikiti lead the K’iorn known as The Nnghao into his territory. He smiled at his “guest” as Hikiti led him forward.

“I am the Goblin King Urog. Welcome to our home. I’d pardon the appearance, but I’m pretty sure you know the history of this area better than all of us. I hope Hikiti led you here safely and without trouble. The streets of Brez aren’t always safe.”

Urog stood tall before the K’iorn. He was bigger than most Olgogs, his armor a little less dinged up than most, his body less scarred, and his gaze more fierce. As per usual custom, he stared long and hard at the K’iorn, as a measure of his own strength, but allowed his lips to crack a smile quickly, remembering the reputation of his guest. It also helped that the guest was not Olgog, and thus not a rival.

“Are you tired, thirsty, or hungry? You have travelled far, I presume”

Nngao held the fierce gaze of Urog. The hulking Olgog would definitely be able to stare down most of his own kind, but one had to care about their own death to be intimidated. Nngao had lost too many loved ones to be able to do that. He met Urog with a sphinx-like gaze, neither challenging him for dominance nor backing off, and kept quiet until Urog asked about the thirst.
Nngao gave a gracious bow as he would to a Zaodonai and said, “King Urog, thank you for your most generous offer. I have a powerful thirst for fermented beverages, or anything distilled. And a skewer of fresh roasted Ravenous KolGul to eat if you have.”

He waited politely while the food and drink were served and then began to tell of his own trip.

“I have traveled far, great King, through lands beset by threats. The Dead of Warmonger muster forces in the south penninsula. If that was not threat enough, the packs of Pit Mongrels serving the Quall N’drone are growing in boldness. Something evil is brewing, and I truly do not know what drives it,” said Nngao, his mouth loosened by powerful booze, "I have seen the Church of One forces questing the deserts again. They march in greater and greater number. Now is not a good time to be an Olgog in the Goblin Lands I fear.

If I am not bold to ask what are your plans if the foolish Earthers decide to march en-mass on Brez? I will be here for a while, and I want to make sure my sleep will not be interrupted by the sound of chainmail and plate."

The K’iorn had a fair question. “Our scouts will see them from far away. They are not yet coming in on Brez. They are focused on a few Earther villages in the deserts west of us. If they march en-mass, the Brezans will rise… and fight. They may have technology, but we are filled with the fury of our ancestors. Each one of us that dies make the rest of us that much stronger. If they come, we will fight. We will use our terrain to attack them from all angles. They will not make it half way into the city before they are all dead.” Urog paused, “plus, we have bunkers under the city. The entrances are hidden from above. We use them to our advantage, especially when the Der’sa comes.”

He paused, sizing up the K’iorn. “However, why is it I feel that you would know before any Olgog when the Earthers are coming??”

“I am resourceful,” agreed Nngao, “Your defenses seem adequate. If it is not an imposition great King, I wish to retire to sleep. Please have one of yours lead me there.”

After sleeping, drinking and acclimating, a few days pass for Nngao, at which point he returns to King Urog so they can finish their conversation.

“Great King, thank you for your most generous hospitality,” said Nngao, “How goes your campaign against the despicable Church of One?”

Urog was happy to see his guest up and about. The direct question deserved a direct answer. “The Earthers spread into the deserts west of here. They have a central town, heavily fortified, that remains strong. There are rumors they are bringing machines of war against us. The good news is that many different tribes and gangs are working together. But I fear we are not yet strong enough. Brez is fragile…”

(Ooc- taking place prior to great uf)

“Every community is fragile,” said Nngao without judgement, "A push here, a jealously, a death there, and the community falls apart.
It is overtaken easily by an obvious enemy. Even if that enemy is a straw man. Especially if that enemy is a straw man.
But a community becomes strong when they know they have vested interest in each other’s well being. They succeed together, and drive their successes onward as a community. They accept and support each individual’s differences and strengths, to do otherwise would drive the individual from the community.

Or they get picked apart by cunning enemies. They separate, they think themselves the Fortress and the Community and the Cheiftain all in one individual and they are easily manipulated.

Brez is easily picked apart, Great King, because they are separate with each Gang, thinking they must only look out for their own.
And that will let the Church of One turn you on each other and kill the survivors."

The K’iorn was smart. Urog liked the way the K’iorn worded that phrase. He made a mental note to himself to memorize that phrase.

“We pick each other part because we are ignorant… of our own ways as Olgog, of the world beyond our lands… we are short -sighted. It is my dream to help unite the people of Brez…I just can’t figure out how without killing the other gang leaders.”

The K’iorn and the Olgog spoke late into the night, and again the following night. Many times they spoke and Nngao shared stories of his decades serving as a Dra’koon to the House of On’an Rass.

Finally the month was over and Nngao came to the massive Olgog leader and gave him respect as he would to a Zaodonai.

“Goblin King Urog, for one month I have enjoyed your hospitality and your fine people. I have eaten your food, slept in quarters on your land and drank some fine liquor,” said Nngao, “But I am a disgraced one and must wander. I set forth for the army moving across the desert. I have rested long enough. The warcrimes at the Great Uf have reminded me that evil will not dispose of itself.
I will follow the army, and take the heads of the Inquisitors I find at the other end. Or at least that is my plan.”

From inside his pack weaved of a single leaf of the giant Khaz’gha trees found on the dimension of Do’krice, Nngao withdrew a small package wrapped in brown cloth. The package he handed to Urog.

“Inside there is a hand axe carved of finest Khaz’gha wood. It will never dull, never need be sharpened. And it will never set off the metal detectors used by the Church of One Red Bishop’s scanners. I have shaped it for you,” said Nngao, “May it serve you well.”

[Nngao’s Khaz’gha Wood Handaxe has 5 (Half A.R.) Melee dmg, x2 dmg to Undead and Nightmares. 2W]