The Legend of Protodoxa and the Shattered Suns (Begins TSGL3 week 4+)

“If I could advise you how it all came to be I could and I would but I simply don’t know,” said Ogalab MagGor’ab, “You all know the Olgogs have faced Airships, and Starships and transdimensional vessels in the ancient past don’t you? And yet you look at the Olgog peoples even at the height of the Ages of Freedom, and they do not build massive armies. Some might say it is what makes us better than Earthers and the Children of the Falosini. Others would say it is why we have spent so many ages under the boot heel of various tyrannical aliens, including the Earthers.
Others would say it is our greatest strength.

But I will tell you since the end of the K’ias Wars, the Olgogs have been guided to be peaceful. To avoid full scale war. To avoid feeding the Warmonger.

So many goals for such a small group.

Surely you have heard of the Tribe of the Shattered Sun? The name now known for the blood line so respected as Mag’ol in Karov? I remember when there was no distinction between Karov and Tla’loc’al, when it was all Der’al, and under the protection of the Shattered Suns and the Tribe of Mag’ol.

You see, in ancient time, Olgogs were often hired on by dimension travelling races like the Falosini.

I myself had the blessing to be a Gor’ab and execute K’ias Criminals.

Why would the Falosini want Olgogs for such a role? They thought it an abomination for their own hands to take the life of their child species the K’ias, so it fell to trustworthy and just Olgogs.

Much in the same way, when Lord Falos needed a group of artisans to break open the crystalline entity known as the Bladed Sun so it would be forever beyond Warmonger’s grasp, he did not seek K’iou hands. He gathered together nine Olgogs of esteem and reknown, all members of that ancient and noble tribe known as Mag’ol. They were incorruptible, and the nine were the only to handle the shards of the Bladed Sun that Lord Falos would have forged into the God Swords.

And once the nine heroes of Mag’ol succeeded in this task, they and their blood line would forever be remembered as the Shattered Sun. It is why Mag’ol of modern Karov trace their bloodline back to those ancient great spirits.

It is said that the K’iou involved in the forging of the living blades of the Godswords died in the process. But the nine Shattered Suns even survived the process of the forging, though they were forever changed. Each left their old name behind.

There was Nakalok Gul, the puppeteer of Nightmares. There was UrKa Gul, whose anger burns down entire forests. There was Tlaol Gul, who made waves capsize and drown the largest fleets. There was Orsa Gul, whose gaze called pillars of light from the heavens.

There was Gogol Gul, whose voice could raise an army. There was Zhrapi Gul, whose claws could cut through anything no matter how armored. There was Saol Gul, whose touch could heal even the most dangerous of plagues.

There was Urder Gul, who could calm the most terrifying of storms. There was Hobzhol Gul, who could split a mountain with the side of one hand.

And their was their Ward, the gentle but powerful Mag’ol to be…Protodoxa…

Now why do I share the story of these nine Shattered Suns.

These Nine have made sure up until the Goblin Genocide that the Olgogs did not ever truly feed the Warmonger.

They allowed each tribe to find its own way, but it was the tribe born from the children of those first nine Olgogs and their mates that we now honor as the modern Mag’ols.

While the Nine themselves had come from the greatest of Tribes, that tribe was not great because of its blood line. The original Tribe we call Mag’ol that they came from was known for its justice, its compassion, its forgiveness and its desire to steward the world in the name of all beings benefit not just one person or one species. The Nine took these core concepts they had been raised in and demanded that all descendents who shared their bloodline would embrace them.

The Nine have traveled this entire world, even reaching as far as the other continents.”

His nurse turned to him and asked, “If that is so, why did the Nine let the Earthers nearly wipe out our people? Why did they let the Goblin Genocide happen?”

“Before the Genocide began, one of its architechs was the K’ias Domino, hiding in the form of the Cardinal Bray and others,” said Ogalab, “Domino knew the Nine were hiding in the south lands, using the deep desert to cover their long term efforts.

Centuries earlier he had taken the form of a Brezan Raider and was tracking them and their agents. He sought to raise up a full army of Olgogs but was defeated by a young Nn’aba Rass. The Nine escaped, and went on to keep the Olgogs overtly in the ways of peace.

But once he was the Cardinal Bray, Domino knew his newly formed Church of One would be able to drive the Nine into revealing themselves.

And he hoped to capture them and use their powers to recreate or track and find the original type of crystalline entity that Lord Falos fashioned into the Bladed Sun. A tool to give the user the powers of an Ascended Being.

It was truly a dangerous threat. And Domino would have killed every last Olgog if it meant finding the Nine Olgogs of the Shattered Suns. Even if it was just for the mere possibility of extracting that essense.

And like many of the Chieftains of that era, we were sworn to secrecy by the Nine.

But today I must break that silence.”

“Why?” asked the nurse.

“Because I have finally discovered where the Nine are. That Church of One sponsoring K’ias tricked the Nine into coming into an ambush. An ambush of a most devious nature. Luckily Domino was killed onboard the Exodus before he could come back to his trap and begin his experiments on the Nine.”

“But Ogalab,” said the Nurse in a know it all way, “That was over 2,000 years ago. The Nine couldn’t have lived this long in a trap.”

“Only Annihilation or Zela metal could grant one of the Nine final death,” said Ogalab stroking his chin fur, “And Domino would have needed them either alive or in a state that could be converted back to life. Which means they are still there….”

The Nurse was sure the old grump had simply finally lost his marbles. She said, “I’ve heard histories from across these lands. From Unen to Karov to even as far as the Rehsedians. All of them speak of Karov being a place where the strong rule and the weak submit when the genocide first began and the Northern Olgogs came south escaping pogroms and eradication. This does not sound like any sort of utopian nomadic existence to me.”

“It is true, each region was ruled by its own Chieftains, and by that time the Nine had sheparded tens of thousands of generations of Olgogs to overt peace. They did not pay attention to the actions of individual Mag’ols and Chiefs as long as those Chiefs did not raise overt armies or build large war machines or weapons of mass eradication. The Nine valued the free will of the many Mag’ol who spread across these lands.

This was in the days before Tla’loc’al was a metropolis, or even the center of resistence against the Church of One. In the days before Unen was an Earther port. And there were literally thousands of different tribes and chiefs.”

“But you aren’t saying the oppression didn’t happen?” chided the Nurse.

“No, I admit that it did. I admit even contributing to it in my own short sighted ways,” said Ogalab, “You see back then, we had just witnessed the Earthers coming. And our tribal lands were flooded with Northern Olgogs. They were just as foreign in their ways as they were different in the way they used scents to communicate.

It was a hard time, especially in the beginning BEFORE the Church of One violence caused Olgogs to unite.

We didn’t really understand why so many Olgogs were coming south. And their tales of the giant Earther building machines…well it seemed like over reactions to a small alien presence on the planet.

And many of the Mag’ols wanted to keep their ways and were afraid the northern Olgogs would defy them.

It was also hard because so much of Karov was based on Nomadic hunting and scavenging that the influx of new mouths to feed could have truly destroyed this fragile ecosystem.

And so it became an unspoken policy that when a group of northern Olgogs came south, the strongest of the Karovian warriors would go out to meet them. If the northern Olgogs kept marching, they were given free passage beyond our lands but they could not hunt our Mal’ie and Mak Hoblok.

If they wanted to stay, they could but only following the ways set forth by the Chieftain, who would enforce his dictates on the new tribal additions with force. Many Karovian tribes became stratified with the biggest Karovians on top, and the smallest northerners on the bottom.

I can see how those who did not see how the dynamic formed could easily compare it to modern Brez’s culture of Might Makes Right.

It also didn’t help that a few criminal Olgog groups did exactly that type of oppression, combined with slaving. I still remember taking on the Goglur Army at the north end of the Oasis of Karov. It was thousands of years before the Earthers came here, and the Goglurs had set up a Slaver camp in the deep desert ad Nakalok Gul and I went in…”

The Nurse cut him off, “Is this portion of the story a tangent? Because it feels like a tangent.”

Ogalab said, “Heh heh, thats fair, you know how it is when you get old. You think of someone, and you can’t not remember all the great adventures you had together. I’ll tell you how Nakalok Gul and I took down the Goglurs another time.

Where was I….hmmm……”

The Nurse had been drawn in by the ancient Olgog’s story of nine lost Olgog heroes.

“So these nine Shattered Suns, are they all males?” she asked.

“Not all males. Among the Suns, there are all genders. Back then the Olgogs didn’t have the Earther idea that other genders had some weakness or flaw that required them to be oppressed. It is an unhealthy habit, one I wish some Olgogs had not picked up from the soft skinned Earthers… with their prejudices against everything.”

“So why didn’t you go look for these Shattered Suns during the Genocide? It seems they would have been valuable allies. Maybe even defeat the Oners outright,” the Nurse said as she groomed the Old gogs fur.

“Protodoxa tried from his base at the Oasis of Al’ya for years,” said Ogalab, “But I will admit, I gave up hope too soon.”

“So why after all these years do you think you know where they are?” asked the Nurse, picking out a small parasite from Ogalab’s fur and eating it, as was custom in Karov. She caught another, snacked on it, and continued her grooming of the older Olgog.

“When I served under Lord Falos as a Gor’ab, I was granted more than just blade and armor. I was granted a crystal, I understand the Earther military calls these commcrystals. It was so that I could receive orders out in the field.

When I was granted the honorific Mag Gor’ab, I was given similar crystals to give to those who would serve as Gor’ab under me. All were given out during the K’ias Wars. But only one of these crystals ever returned to me due to the death of its Gor’ab. I kept that returned crystal for so long after the war as a reminder of that lost friend.

Before the Nine left on their last mission, I gave this crystal to Nakalok Gul. Back then I spent weeks trying to reach them without success…

I went on with my life, even dying in battle against the Inquisitor Siedermann and being stored on his wall off trophies as the centuries passed. The the Auf of Ol’Lur, blessed may his days be, rescued my remains and revived me.

And now today, I was looking through my old war-trunk, dug up and delivered to me just this morning from a nearby Oasis where I had buried it. And inside I found my crystal, and I could hear the crystal that I had given Nakalok Gul, for the first time since they left. It was active and broadcasting sound.

It is the sound of masons working on walls, the sound of Earther Horse hooves on cobble stones. And ever so vaguely, every so often, I can make out voices of the workmen. Human voices. They keep calling whatever they are working on the South Fort, and talk about returning to the Tower of Resugent.

I have sent a young Gor’ab to the north to check for me. If the Tower of Resugent and its citizens have just started work on a South Fort, it means that Domino trapped the Nine somewhere on the grounds of the Tower or this South Fort.”

“And if they did? I thought you were retired?” said the Nurse, “Tell the Auf of Ol’Lur or Lalder and they will go handle it. You need your rest, Ogalab.”

“The Leaders of the UtR are busy with some problem they caused by trying to make deals with the Djinni,” said Ogalab, “This Old Gog is not going to add to their plate. Plus I don’t think the Nine would like what the UtR has done…you know with the whole armies, air fleets, and such.
Don’t get me wrong, the UtR had to defend itself from the Oners and other Earther threats…but this sort of massive militarization is exactly what the Nine wanted to avoid.
UrKa Gul is going to have a fit when he learns the UtR birthed a demon on its rise to power.”

“But Kalok isn’t the UtR’s fault its the Ka Rhug’s fault,” said the Nurse coming to the UtR’s defense. After all it was the best time to be an Olgog since before the Genocide, and that level of safety and protection and food security was only possible because of the United Tribes.

“Lord Falos once told me, When one hand is trying to figure out how and where to place blame for actions caused by the other hand, you know the entire body is already corrupted. The only question is can the corruption be cured by medicine, must it be cut out surgically, OR is it too far gone and must the entire body be put down.

At the time he was talking about the K’ias Balancers, but the philosophy applies to the UtR all the same.”

The Nurse took Ogalab down to the Cavern of Maklal’Og so they could share a drink and talk more…