Smith has a conversation with the Herald of Wintermute

Smith

Herald,

I see that you have created mines and are taking away the natural resources. While I understand the need for resources, I feel I need to ensure that the materials you extract are shared among the people here. I’ve seen situations before, where locations were stripped of the resources and the local people left destitute. I don’t wish to see that happen here.

We need to discuss the situation, so that everyone can prosper.

Smith was directed by one of the workers to Foreman Ozruc who was in charge of the Mines “Greetings smith, I am the Foreman in charge of this operation. I must say that I am confused by your statement, we haven’t taken anything away. Mining just began yesterday, the small bit of ore that has been removed is still on site of each of the mines. Once we have removed a sufficient amount it shall be transferred for processing. It will be purified, then smelted into bars. Once that happens they will be sold to artisans who will convert them into more useable products. For example some of the gold will be sold to jewelers, some of the copper will be sold to make wiring, or pots, etc. This will all help the local economy and provide new products for the people living in Karov. Not sure what you fear will happen.”

Smith

I understand the business model, I used it when I was with the reshedians. Until recently, none of these people even claimed land as theirs , it was shared. The tribes and gogs of this area would share food , items and anything they have with others. Its like this town that is being built, all are welcome, and food water and shelter are shared.

This land is the same, its shared among the tribes that live and work in this area. The idea that you own it is almost completely foriegn .

. . .

. . .

never mind that, I’m going to tell it strait. To ensure that everyone here thrives, I thing 1/3 of the smelted metal goes to the community, the people of this town and the areas around it to create the needed things, 1/3 should be sold in this immediate area, and then you and yours can take 1/3 to do whatever you wish. In addition, I know there are some sacred sites in the area, so I will ask one of the Uhryus that knows the area to point them out so that we don’t have unnecessary issues that could cause friction between the people.

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think you had any ill intents. I just have seen tribes areas get exploited before and impoverish them. I know the leaders assumptions are that of a community, not a business. That you are doing this solely for the community. This seems to be one of the few places that is a beacon of light in the desert, and I wish it to remain so.

Foreman Ozruc frowned slightly, "Perhaps since I grew up in another culture I am having a tough time understanding a few things, perhaps you can help me understand. The people of Karov are largely nomadic before your leader decided to rebuild this city, our people have been proud to help give the people of Karov a place for them to feel safe without having to wander so much. As for the mines, from what we have seen resources weren’t being used. Your people wander from oasis to oasis, they aren’t miners as that would require permanent settlements which have been foreign to them. I dislike the idea that I am being told that a full third of what we mine and smelt is going to be taken away from us, however we do feel the needs of the community. I will agree to these conditions if we are in charge of the distribution of the third, after all we are doing all of the work. The second third, the one that must be sold in the immediate area, what currencies are you using in these areas? Most of the people who came to this city don’t have much in the way of material goods as they used to be nomads. We need to figure out the details of how to sell the materials, after all whatever price we set the material for will be driven down due to the fact that a portion of the materials will be simply given away.

The more information we know the better we can live together."

Smith

Well, I don’t understand the karovian society much myself. I am originally from the Reshedian tribe. But I have some observations. The most concerning that I had was when other tribes blacksmiths would walk right into my shop and start using my equipment. Its odd though, hammers and tongs, they would bring their own and wouldn’t touch mine without asking, but the anvils and forge they would just use.

What’s more confusing, is that the gogs keep trading houses, or so it seems. I asked around, and I what it seems like is that the gogs don’t believe the house is theirs, its the communities. When they are done using it, they leave it in good condition and move on. When they come back, the just move into the first empty house they find. It seems this is because the tribes still like to wander the desert, so they continue to do so, they just don’t wander as far. I know the tribe members of GulTor’uf go on day trips out, because they are working hard on fulfilling Bills vision. I spoke to another tribe that wanders out for about a week, and another that goes out on month long trips.

I tell you, I though the colonies up in the north had strange cultures, but I’m finding the strangest ones right next to my homeland.

Foreman Ozruc stared at Smith waiting for him to answer his questions, when it was aparent that he wasn’t going to Ozruc shook his head. “That certainly is odd behavior, however it is in their blood to move around, cannot fault them for that.” Ozruc put his left hand inside his coat and pulled out a flask, unscrewed the top and took a deep drink, a dribble of red fluid came halfway down his chin, which he wiped off after drinking. Putting his flask away he again looked at Smith, “You say that in your tribe others would come into your smithy and use your anvils and forges for their own work. Well, I can work with that. Any Olgog may come into the mines and work for their own materials. I will make sure they have tools and a good helm to protect their noggin. I will establish sections for their use and any materials they mine will belong to them after we refine it. They will need their own section because at the moment the mines aren’t safe for living creatures. We can set up sections with better lighting, better air, and more safety measures and they can work for their materials. We aren’t in Rehsed, we are in Karov, I am fine with sharing the mines, you just gotta do the work for the prize.”