Meeting with EEF Officials (post-Mirror Crystal Invasion)

Urog looked at the strange comm-crystal that the EEF had given him. It was different from the ones the Sylvan had given him, but it did the trick. He turned it on, announced himself as the Goblin King Urog of the Great Northern Army and the Gangs of the Uf Mag’og. He wanted a meeting with the EEF, a formal one to talk about all that had happened. At a place of the EEF’s choosing, either Simonsburg’s EEF facility, in Brez proper, or an EEF location of their choice.

Once the EEF told him where to go, he gathered his personal guard to attend. He had ready stores of uryu to share, fruits grown from the farms, some wine, and other gifts to share.

ooc: just let me know where you are and who’s there, and how many personal guards you allow to attend the meeting

After a sort wait Urog’s message was answered.

"King Urog this is Captain Jeffers of the EEF aide to the Field Marshal. General Map’le is currently enroute to Simonsberg with an aid mission. Once she arrives she will be pleased to speak of any matters that concern you and of course she will speak with all authority of the Field Marshal’s office. As always we welcome you to bring whatever guards and assistants you wish.

Urog looked at the crystal. Map’le… that was the K’iorn, right? It always made him wonder why the K’iorn would serve the Earthers. Now he’d get to find out.

Urog’s made two mental notes: Field Marshall’s aides are Captains. Generals serve Field Marshalls.

“Look forward to seeing the General.”

Simonsburg was easy. He’d take Shirley and Tla’al and Tusk into the meeting with him. Since Simonsburg was a part of the GNA, there’d be no expectation of him needing a large show of force for such a meeting. Plus, he knew that security would be easy to arrange without making a spectacle either. He was hoping the EEF Captain had anticipated that in choosing Simonsburg as a meeting place. Urog knew he didn’t want to go alone. He wanted witnesses. Shirley was an obvious choice, being his voice on the UTD council. Plus, she was hoping Shiro would show up and he’d rather not lie to her if he was there and watch her get upset. Granted, he knew how to calm her down, but he wasn’t sure the effort of doing so was worthwhile. It was easier to just let her make her advances on Shiro. Let him figure out how he wanted to handle THAT.

The other two were less obvious choices. Tla’al was only an Ur Rhug, but she had a close relationship with Eve, the equally young spiritual leader of the Earthers of Simonsburg. Tla’al and Eve were the future of Simonsburg. And hopefully Earther and Olgog peace. Tusk. She would be the other gog present. In Urog’s mind, she was the future of the Olgog. A Karovian born to lead, worthy of Brezan respect. Her training among the Brezans complete, it was up to her to continue to learn about the other olgog tribes. He hoped she would be the future of them all.

Urog made preparations for the meeting. He took some fine meats he had traded for, wine, urya, and fresh fruit and vegetables from the farms of Brez. It was customary among Brezans to bring tribute to a meeting with other leaders. If you didn’t, it was a show of distrust and a lack of respect for their og. If they greeted with with tribute, it showed they respected your og too. Before Urog became King, Brezan politics was all about certain gangs granting, or not granting, tribute to other gangs. Usually, they didn’t. Maybe it was a stupid custom, he thought. Did Gul’al make the other tribes of Brez give her tribute when she created the Great Northern Army. He didn’t remember. But Urog wanted to make a point here, so he brought tribute, knowing the EEF wouldn’t bother because they didn’t know.

Didn’t know. That ends today, Urog thought to himself.

He made his way to Simonsburg to meet with General Map’le. As he was going to be seen in Simonsburg, he wore his customary armorfiend plate armor, carried on his belt the axe of Nngao, and a small ceremonial hob’tor knife. Shirley wore an armorfiend vest, her khaz’ga bandages as fist wraps, and no other visible weapons. She was proud of her fist wrappings. Tusk also wore an armorfiend vest, with a massive Brezan lance as her weapon of choice. Her choice of weapon was ironic; no other Brezan in the Gang of the Uf Mag’og carried one. Tla’al, not technically a leader within the gang, wore simple nightmare armor and hob’tor weapons.

The Two Brezan elders, the Karovian Auf in training, and the young Ur Rhug walked into the meeting room with General Map’le. When the room was considered secure, he nodded to Shirley, who began to take off her armor. Tusk and Tla’al followed. Urog took his armor off and unarmed himself as well. This act was intentional. He wanted to show Map’le and the EEF leaders present that he trusted them.

When he was done, he sat down, looked General Map’le straight in the eyes and said, “Thank you.”

He said nothing further, waiting for General Map’le to respond.

(ooc - feel free to describe the structure we’re in. It’s “your house”).

General Map’le nodded as Urog sat. A round table had been set in the middle of room she sat by a single aid, a young male Vorin. At the back wall stood a pair or Goliaths one earther and one K’oiu both wore there armor but neither was obviously armed. A smaller side table had been set with refreshments from all the Colonies and
“It is I who must thank you King Urog first for reaching out to us and for the welcome we received here. I am glad to have a chance to speak with you. It was bought to my attention that it was improper to meet olgog leaders and not bring gifts. I did not do so when I was at the summit in Brez. I did not wish to repeat the error.” She indicated he side table with a wave.

“We have bought food from across the colonies. Including binbur wine from my own tribes territory. You will also find something called beef jerky made at the Field Marshals family owned factory. He was very specific that I tell you it is all reall beef. Apparently he is very proud of that.” Her tone made it clear she had no idea why it mattered.
“At any rate, please refresh yourselves and we can discuss your concerns.”

Urog smiled.

“The tradition of bringing gifts is about respect. I appreciate the respect. I offer you the same. For too long, we have not shown each other respect. The EEF has shown that it worthy of respect. It has given us its word and kept it. And I appreciate the food you have brought. I do not know what beef is, but I’m sure it will taste better than cru’lie!” Tusk and Tla’al laughed with Urog, knowing that cru’lie, while nutritious, required a strong stomach to appreciate. Shirley looked doubtful and confused.

Urog ignored Shirley’s doubts. Especially since she ate just about anything. “General, before we share food…wait, what’s the Earther saying…??” Tla’al spoke up immediately, “Break bread.” Urog nodded, “break bread, I want to tell you a quick story. It has to be quick because otherwise Shirley will rip my head off if I make her wait too long to eat.” Everyone smiled, and Shirley broke out in raucous laughter. “Don’t tempt me!” She retorted.

Urog smiled as he continued, “I grew up in Brez. On it’s streets, I knew four things: 1) Have og 2) find food and drink 3) protect what you have 4) Don’t trust Earthers. Before I could become Ur Rhug, My village was raided by Earthers, and I was taken. Before I reached a slave camp, Karovians attacked the raiders and saved us. I chose not to go back to Brez because my parents were killed in the raids and life was terrible in Brez anyway. I stayed with the Karovians. I learned things that we never learned in Brez. I was no urh’yu, but enough to know that how we lived in Brez wasn’t the best way to live. I got big. Gained great og. And returned to Brez, knowing that life had to be better than how we lived it.”

He took a pause, the smile fading. “I found a small gang whose King was…what do the Earthers call it, Tla’al?”
“A dick, King Urog.”
“Yes, a dick. I beat him because I was smarter than him. I let him hit me a few times, and when he bragged about his great og, I destroyed him. It was over quickly. And I took control. I made small changes in the gang, but not so many that the other gangs would think I was weak. But that all changed when I met the Mightiest Chieftain Gul’al. I no longer had a small gang, I was a leader of a great army. And then I met with the Mag Auf Yyanyi, who taught me many things.”

He didn’t mention the trick in Simonsburg was the Mag Auf’s idea, but it made him smile anyway.

“But the first thing he asked of all the leaders gathered was this: ‘How are we going to solve the Earther problem?’ Wel, General, that’s what brought us here today. That day, no olgog had a good answer. But I learned a very important lesson that day. Earthers aren’t a problem. Yes, many of them raided our lands, and yes, some of them still do, but part of the problem was that we considered them a problem. This city, as the Eathers call it…” Urog gestured around himself and Simonsburg, “taught me that the problem isn’t that Earthers are Earthers. The problem is that Earthers and Olgog have been fighting for so long that we never had a chance to learn about each other. To trust each other.”

At that moment, Shirley’s stomach grumbled so loudly that it echoed across the room. Urog smiled as he looked over to Shirley, “Don’t worry, Shirley, I’m almost done.” She pouted, not knowing what else to do. He smiled and looked at General Map’le. “We got to a bad start a few years ago. And many of my fellow olgog haven’t been much better at being trustful, or thankful, for what the EEF has been doing. I know very little about you, other than I know that you have earned our trust. That ends today. I want you and the EEF to know that the Great Northern Army and the Gang of the Uf Mag’og are thankful for the EEF’s friendship. I want to make sure we come closer together. A friendship that won’t break.”

Friends don’t kill each other, thought Urog to himself. It’s a good place to start. He wondered what Mag Auf Yyanyi would think of this all.

General Map’le took some fruit and wine and made sure to sample some of what Urog had bought before she got down to business.

"I am glad to hear you feel that way King Urog and I know the Colony General and Field Marshal will be very pleased. My own people had many of the same concerns when the earthers first arrived here. Of course I was very young then but I recall the stories. More than once voices raised calling for them to be destroyed before they were able to settle. To drive them back their ship and destroy it with them trapped inside. Even then I doubt it would really have been possible but all people are subject to fear of change and all people wish to destroy what they fear.

But we could never decide. For every earther we found that seemed to justify that stance we met others who were honorable and brave. In the end I believe we made the right choice when we decided to work with them. I hope some day not to distant more of your people will feel the same way."

“So please tell me what you would know of the EEF and the Colonies and I will answer as best I can.”

Urog smiled. He grabbed some of this strange meet he had never seen before. He sniffed it, and gave Map’le an approving look. He took a bite and was pleasantly surprised. He nodded appreciatively, and passed some over to Shirley.

“So much to learn. Customs. What’s a good way to say hello? Why is everything written on parchment? How do you show respect? How did you become an Earther?”

He took a swig of wine and again, nodded approvingly.

General Map’le seemed a bit taken aback by the questions. “Well I am not an expert on all earthers customs but I have worked with them long enough to start to answer you. Most earthers consider a hand shake a good way to respectfully greet another. As I understand it this is an old custom used to show that you are not holding a weapon.” She motioned to her aide and they stood and demonstrated. “There are other customs some earther bow as a mark of respect. In the EEF we salute one another. This is another old earther custom.”

“Earthers write everything down as a way to preserve it as a record. In the case of an agreement they show the agreement happened and what each party gave and received. They call this a contract.” She paused for a moment considering.

“Showing respect can be a bit more difficult to explain. It varies somewhat between the colonies based on how they have grown and what traditions they have carried with them from earth. In general it is good to not speak loudly or in a threatening way and to not enter what they call their personal space. That’s about arms reach. If you would like we can agrange for lessons in regional etiquette. As I said I am no expert and each colony is different. In many ways it is like different tribes. Each has their own norms and traditions.”

“As for me becoming an earther. I am very much a k’iorn. I have not forsaken my people or tribe. Rather I joined the EEF as part of our alliance. As part of what they call an exchange program. My people, and the EEF have often faced enemies together. Due to this it was decided that it would be wise for each of us to learn how the other fought. So Myself and several members of my tribe were exchanged for an EEF squad for a year. We were taught to fight as an EEF squad and we showed them the ways that k’iorn act in war. After that year I decided to stay on and have risen through the ranks”

Urog nodded as General Map’le spoke. Shirley tried her best to stay awake. She had eaten too quickly and was starting to feel the stupor. She also found this boring. Tla’al knew many of these customs, but in Simonsburg it was a little different. It must be because many of the Earthers there were different from the other Earthers. Tusk looked at Map’le with rapt attention.

When Map’le mentioned the exchange between Earthers and the K’iorn, he smiled and laughed. “General, in Brez, when you exchange members of your gang, it’s permanent. They become part of your gang. It’s what we do to finalize a trade or a pact. By Brezan custom, if our gang and your tribe made a deal, and you joined our gang, you would become one of us, and be considered olgog. I would have traded one my members, and they would have been considered K’iorn.”

Urog took a sip of wine as he gathered his thoughts. “It is strange that to us that you would still be considered a member of your tribe or your people, even after all these years. So tell me, General Map’le, if the EEF attacked your tribe, who would you know to stand with?”

“It would depend greatly on the reason for such an attack. If my tribe did something illegal I
would want to see it made right. Regardless in the end I would likely forsake both and sever all ties to become an nnghao. One without tribe or people. I would have no family, tribe or home. Instead I would wander the land and never be welcome among my own people. I would travel looking for an honorable way to die to redeem the dishonor I bore.That would be the burden of attacking my own tribe. And yet if their actions required me to take action against them. I would do so.” General Map’le looked very troubled by the very idea of it. “Thankfully it is very unlikely that such a thing would happen.”

Urog took a bite of food as Map’le spoke. He was impressed by Map’le’s sense of duty and honor. His ears, however, perked up when he heard the term nnghao. The Nnghao…the drunked K’iorn that Hikiti took care of, and the maker of the axe that lay on his side. The Dishonored. Everything about the strange K’iorn made much more sense now. He would have to ask Map’le about his former visitor, but that would wait for another time. Shirley’s eyes almost popped out of her head when she heard the term too.

“You are honorable, General. The Earthers are lucky to have you.” Even Shirley nodded. He took a bite of food. He made sure to savor it. It was quite good and he wanted the EEF to know he appreciated the gift. He had just a few more big topics to ask about, and hoped Map’le wasn’t getting too anxious.

“Map’le, I have some hard questions to ask. Most of the olgog don’t understand the EEF Earthers and the Reshed cross ones…the ones who raided our tribes for thousands of years to either kill us or make us slaves. I think your EEF does not agree with this. Your help and your food proves this to me. But I do not understand why the EEF allows it. Please explain.”

"Yes I can see why that would confuse you. Of course long ago the EEF did support such actions before they understood the nature of leyas and what nightmares were. You see when earthers first arrived and did not know these things many nightmare attacks were blamed on olgogs the Church of One used that confusion and fear to justify their purges. Sadly they still wish to carry out such actions.

The EEF does not agree with them at all. In fact were it not for my rank in the EEF any member of the church would happily hang me on one of their crosses. Well they would try very hard to. But you see we have to allow them to act as they do. The EEF does not rule the Colonies. We are a defense force raised and supported for mutal protection. We protect them from outside threats and if any Colony attacks another we intervene and stop the conflict and by mutal agreement we carry out diplomacy with foreign powers.

But each colony is free to govern itself as it will so long as it does not attack any other colonies. So when Dunesphere, the seat of the Church created settlements here in the south we could not act. However we did not have to support them either despite their repeated claims of being attacked here. Instead we sought to contain the conflict. We believe they hoped to provoke the tribes to attack the colonies which have forced us to retaliate against you. Which we did not wish to see happen. That is the main reason we made the offer to all to join as provisional colonies. That status is protection against attacks from the church they cannot openly attack a provisional colony or its citizens without facing censure from the EEF and the other colonies.

“Well, that’s explains a lot.”

At least all Earthers weren’t racist, but it was a small consolation. Understanding was a start.

Urog needed to change the topic.

“Speaking of provisional colonies, I know a lot of what has happened between our United Tribes of Der’al and the Earthers have been…one-sided. Mostly problems created by many of my fellow council members. I know I’ve offered help in time of need…” Urog didn’t say the rest.

“What can we do better?”

Urog hated sounding needy. But if he was going to prevent this reality from becoming like the Mirror Crystal, it needed to be done.

“That is a difficult question,” General Map’le took a small sip of wine “I do not wish to sound condescending,however I think you have already made a good first step. You realized that our people do not know each other well but we each also have our preconceptions. But talks like this,” She waved a hand to indicate the entire room. “This is where we begin to learn about each other and put aside what we think we know. And I can only think that is a good thing. It shows a willingness to learn and listen. I thunk perhaps recently to many have been speaking without listening to what others have said.”

Urog nodded. “Hard to hear when we speak two different languages. And I don’t just mean Olgog and Earther. Today we stop talking past each other. It’s a start.”

“Speaking of starts, do you know who saved Simonsburg? There were rumors of someone creating a shield, but in the chaos nobody could tell who it was.”

“That was one of our VLAD agents Uriel. You may have heard he protected several olgog settlements during the flamewinds in a similar fashion. During the Mirror Crystal attacks we activated all agents to offer whatever help they could and Uriel went to assist Simonsberg. I am afraid that early reports indicate the injuries he suffered caused his final death thought I do not have confirmation yet.”

Urog said his name slowly. “Uriel…his name and deed will live on in Simonsburg. His sacrifice rememebered by all”. He looked at Tla’al, as a reminder for her to make it so.

“What is a VLAD agent? How are they activated? Like the Leyas? Tell me more of Uriel. Does he have family? Do they need a home now that he is gone?”

“VLAD agents are people. They work for the EEF in a semi official way. They do jobs that it is not possible for the EEF to do. For example they were the first among our people to make contact with the tribes and observe them. In all honesty they some times act as spies but they also solve problems that we can not. Activated in this sense means we ordered them to take whatever actions they deemed most likely to protect civilians from the invasion and help to put an end to it as soon as possible.” The general took some more wine. She looked visibly uncomfortable admitting that The EEF had been secretly observing the tribes.

“As for Uriel, I did not know him personally but I know that we know of no family. He was a memeber of an order know as the Ty’rani. They are something of a religion but rather than a god they revere the collection and preservation of knowledge and experience. As I understand it they think this brings them closer to true knowledge which to them is embodied in the leyas and their founder an old nightmare that has developed intelligence for centuries.”

Urog took at drink as he considered what Map’le revealed.

Spying…

In the past, Urog would have gotten angry. But this wasn’t Earther racism rearing it’s ugly head. Bot this time, anyway. He sensed Map’le’s discomfort as she revealed the truth. She had taken a risk not lying to him about what VLAD does. He was going to take that as a leap of faith. He hoped Yyanyi would be proud. They did, after all, save Simonsburg. Indignation would not get him far. He glanced at Shirley, who’s mind wasn’t as sharp, and she was frustratingly ripping through some meat. Tusk searched Urog’s eyes, looking for clues to what he was thinking. Tla’al was just happy to be here. She figured Tusk would just tell her everything that she was missing anyway. Besides, this was really good food!

“Thank you for your honesty, General Map’le. I can see it wasn’t easy.” He let that sit for a moment, then he changed the subject. “The Ty’rani serve knowledge, not a god. How…different. I hope Uriel found new knowledge in his death. His story will be told in Simonsburg…the one who served knowledge and protected its people.” He raised a glass to toast - Shirley, Tusk, and Tla’al all raised their glasses. “To Uriel.” All drank.

“Please tell the Ty’rani we thank them for Uriel.”

Urog wasn’t sure how to proceed. Normally in Brez, death was common. The dead were buried only so that the cru’lie wouldn’t overrun the body. There would be quiet mourning, but letting grief get to you was a sign of weakness that no one could afford. If a Gang leader got sick and died, anyone who desired to take their place fought each other until nobody was left to challenge. The winner would honor the former gang member with a toast, and then their name would never be said again. Short memories made day to day living easier, but it doesn’t make life better for anyone. Brez needed to keep changing. They would honor the dead, especially those who choose death to save others.

Tusk, took the opportunity while Urog was momentarily lost in his thoughts to ask a question. “There were also rumors of a massive castle in the sky, made of dark stone, that chased away and destroyed the fleet. Can you share anything of about that?” Urog looked surprised at his young protege. He had forgotten about that rumor. She was learning. This was good. He was proud. He looked at Map’le, looking pleased and waited for an answer.

General Map’le nodded to Urog. “I will see that your thanks are carried to the Ty’rani. I am sure they will appreciate them. Especailly since due to the nature of his work the EEF can make no formal recognition of Uriel’s sacrifice.”

Looking to Tusk she continued. “I am afraid that I can not go into much detail about that other than to say that yes such a castle was there and it is commanded by one of Uriel’s comrades.”