Live Event 2016: The Unfortunate Day Old Vlad and new VLAD worked together

Colony General Malthus considered himself neither a tall man, nor a short man. In his appetites during life, he considered himself a man of moderation. While he never consider himself handsome, he had a way about him that some considered attractive, and in that he had always considered himself lucky.

His uniform was immaculate, but he had a companion to thank for that. His hair cut professionally, neither long nor military short, with a salt and pepper maintained by a strict dye regiment. Even during life Malthus hadn’t allowed himself a whit of facial hair, and continued the practice in his erstwhile immortality.

Malthus never considered himself blessed with immortality as some vampires did. When he was a human he always felt his transition into cursed vampyr had been a direct correlation to the crimes both he, the EEF, and the entirety of humanity had done against the relatively innocent Olgog peoples. And his transtion from cursed vampyr into undead vampire had also been a direct result of his failure to fix the flaws that had sprung from the Goblin Genocide, and the years before and after it.

Leading into the Goblin Genocide, he had been but an Interrogator in the EEF. A respected position, where he extracted information from EEF soldiers that had committed crimes. But then during the Genocide years, he was brought in more and more by the EEF to torture Olgog captives for information. As a good interrogator, Malthus had known that information extracted by torture was useless, misleading and often concocked on the spot to make the pain end. The information he had extracted had been through mental intimidation, a tongue well versed in fast talking and hustling, and above all understanding his subject.

But during the Genocide years, more and more Church of One Zealots were allowed to take part in and oversee the criminal proceedings. Less and less had Malthus felt he had a choice in implementing brutal tactics. And as the first Mag Der’al outbreak had occurred, Malthus may have been more zealous than even he would like to admit. But when he learned the truth, and really got to understand the Olgog peoples, he felt a great guilt.

It had been during that time that he had met a man who simply called himself VLAD. A Cloner who operated on the fringe of the Colonial blackmarket, Malthus didn’t know how far the fingers of the Old Vlad really went at the time. Only that the EEFers all said he spoke with the authority of the Colony General. Interrogator Malthus became one of Old Vlad’s favorites.

Malthus couldn’t remember how many Olgogs he tortured under those piercing blue eyes. Often the blond haired man would just order Malthus to apply electric shock after electric shock without asking a single question to the victim.

At the time he didn’t know the old man was grooming him as a perfect figurehead to keep the EEF under his thumb. That would take over one thousand years, and more than enough bloodshed and pain to sate even the hungriest vampyr, for Colony General Malthus to learn the truth and oust the old Vlad and outlaw his entire spy network. Not that this stopped the Old Vlad from having him assassinated…twice. Well twice that actually succeeded.

So it was with great surprise and disbelief that he got a call this morning from the old man after all these years. Stranger still the old man had allowed his location to be traced. It seemed the old Vlad had a dire warning about the Mirror Crystal fleet and the Mirror Crystal artifact they carried.
With the final death of the Rapi’og of this world, and the final death of the Lalder of that world, and the mirror crystal being pulled through its pair in this timeline, a catastrophic set of events was about to unfold. Old Vlad’s contacts within the court of the Djinni who fashioned the Mirror Crystals warned it would slam both timelines together killing off countless people from across Refuge.

What could Malthus do but agree to send a team to aid Old Vlad in stopping the mirror crystal menace above RhugTor. He could only hope they weren’t causing more harm to the olgogs. He had always steered the Colonies to leave the Olgogs alone in the south lands. Let them recover from the Genocide, and find their new path.

Old Vlad had asked him to send Shinefox Shrellfox, head of the new VLAD agency, and good personal friend of Malthus, to lead the squad. Malthus didn’t trust him as far as he could throw the old man, and demanded Shinefox take every precaution necessary.

When Shinefox’s Air Assault Vehicle left, to take him to the meeting, Colony General Malthus waited, watching the live orbital video feed from their spy satellites. Nothing happened all day, except the Mirror Crystal fleet continuing to fortify their defenses around RhugTor and Port Unen. But as night settled explosions ringed the main zepplin dockyards above RhugTor. The main tower that housed the docks was light up as a battle raged across it.

Mathus’ desk had a holographic display on it, and it activated created a two foot tall image of a woman in a smart military uniform.

“What do you have to report Anise?” asked Malthus nervous to hear her answer.

The artificial intelligence replied, “Sir, Shinefox and his team of joint VLAD and OVC agents will be breaching the city shortly. Their target is Glog, Master of the Teardrop Hammer and current leader of the Mirror Crystal Fleet. He is carrying the Crystal itself.”

“As long as they recover the crystal we can send a team to put it through the one in Brez and we can all breath easy,” said Malthus with a shockingly positive attitude, “If anyone can get through it will be Shinefox.”

“Report back once Shinefox returns from the mission,” Malthus ordered, “Oh and please have Zel sent up, I’m a bit hungry.”

“Sir yes sir,” said Anise before winking out.

Malthus turned back to the displays and watched as building after building fell, and parts of the city were being held up only by a scaffolding of ice. It looked like the VLAD and OVC teams were tearing apart the city, but it did succeed in confusing and diverting the Mirror Crystal forces.

Then suddenly the streets were awash in thick green fluid. Malthus pressed his comms just as the door opened.

A beautiful young Vlahadassi female entered wearing a green dress that shimmered with gold accents as she walked. She slid into a rolling chair, and kicked it so it slid gently next to Malthus. He leaned down and kissed the nape of her neck saying, “You know you don’t always have to be on call, Zel.”

“With Bry working with those Nightmare Power Armor research folks at the Northern border, I’ve just been so bored,” she replied with a hint of a teasing tone, “I mean seriously, the rest of the people I used to call friends are Generals, and Field Marshalls, star pilots and interdimensional diplomats.”

“Zel, seriously ? I think you are loads of fun, but you don’t exactly have the temperament to be a diplomat,” Malthus snorted with humor.

“Oh but I do have the temperment to be your blood bag?” asked Zel angrily.

“Hey listen, Zel, I didn’t mean it that way,” said Malthus, “I know some great female diplomats, and great female generals. But you don’t exactly inspire leadership with the way you talk to people. And you don’t know when to shut up, even if a person is about to set off a nuke. Oh yeah, Terror loves to tell me that story every time he gets drunk on Binber wine. Even drunk dials my commcrystal. He thinks its hysterical.”

“Well maybe you can just drink Terror’s blood,” snarled Zel getting up and storming from the room.

Malthus sighed. He turned to the comms and said, “Well you got to hear all that Strykker, what do you think?”

“About Zel, nothing to say at all. Well other than I agree she does not have the temperament to be an ambassador, heh unless its to the Neliff,” said Field Marshall Jeremiah Strykker on the other end of the line, “Joking, somewhat…But about the green stuff.

Its the same relic juice the Teardrop hammer sprayed on some of our troops. Turns folks into shapeshifted Reavers, big ole mounds of muscle and angry hungry. I’d say we will be facing Reaver attacks for the next few months along the Unen coast, even if we do succeed in taking the city today. From the damage, I’d say the VLAD irregulars are doing what they do best.”

“You think this Mirror Crystal can really do what the Djinni threaten it does?” asked Malthus solemnly.

“I remember Celyse’s Dad once saying Djinni can’t change anything that already exists with their wishes,” said Jeremiah, “But I guess if one decided to make a bomb and set that bomb off, the bomb would wound and kill even though the wish itself couldn’t. Make that wish a box of annihilation and wouldn’t it be quite same thing on a grander scale. Just a big bomb, set to go off and do its damage. I don’t know how Time Travel or Timelines work, but I’ve seen some concerning weapons used by and used against the Da’uhnb out in space. So I wouldn’t put it past a really clever Djinni to make a weapon that did something really horrific to both timelines. But your guess is as good as mine, sir.”

“I appreciate your honesty as always,” said Malthus, “Mind if I call you back, I have to see who is next on my call list.”

“Yes sir,” said Jeremiah, “I have my eyes on the situation.”

“Good man,” replied Malthus before disconnecting.

He leaned over and clicked another button on his desk, Anise appeared again, “Yes sir?”

“Who is next on my call list…Zel needed some r and r,” said Malthus diplomatically, “Any word from Shinefox?”

“None yet sir,” said Anise, “But I did pick up the liftoff and immediate grounding of an AAV at the location of the meeting.”

“One of ours?” asked Malthus almost afraid to ask.

“One of theirs,” said Anise, “And I just checked with the next five people on your call list.”

“And?” asked Malthus surprised she would need to hit five other of his close friends.

“Mag Der’al outbreak in Chooru,” said Anise, “Everyone is on lockdown for biological screening.”

Malthus said, “Interesting, concerning and interesting. I wonder if this had anything to do with the timing of Old Vlad’s mission.”

“It is rare that the coincidences around him are merely coincidence sir,” said Anise.

“Looks like I will be heading upstairs to apologize to Zel,” said Malthus, “Any Ambassadorial slots open up to creatures that won’t wipe us out if we offend them?”

“My files show the Ydyara need an Ambassador assigned to them,” said Anise.

“Am I really going to give a friend an Ambassadorial job just to drink her blood?” asked Malthus pausing instantly realizing how diabolically corrupt that act sounded, even though it wasn’t his intention.

“No you are offering an Ambassadorial job to a person who naturally feels okay around aliens and has the trust of the last living Nightmare Lord, and just happens to be your ex-girlfriend and current blood doll,” said Anise with a wry sense of humor.

“Thanks Anise you put everything in perspective. Assign Col. Sabine to the Ambassador position, I’ll break the sad news to Zel that all the positions are currently filled,” Malthus said as he strode towards the door.

“Col. Sabine is the only member of Group 2 still assigned to the Severence Research Facility on this rotation,” countered Anise.

Malthus stopped, turned but didn’t speak for a moment, “Hmmm What is Gonmar doing?”

“He’s on sabbatical in I’tash trying to help reintegrate the former slavers into the current society,” said Anise.

“Tell him his sabbatical just became his day job, and his new base of operations is back at the Severence,” said Malthus, “Now I may be gone for a little bit but call me once we have a full debriefing from Shinefox’s team.”

Anise watched the Colony General leave in search of Zel. She knew where Zel was, up in the lift on 2 in full lockdown, wondering why the EEF base wouldn’t let her open the doors and expose everyone inside to the possible pathogen. She reversed the lift and dropped Zel out on sub basement 4 near a currently empty lounge that the Colony General would be walking right past. A chance encounter was much easier when things could be controlled to such a degree. A little dimming of the lights, and some subtle music. Too bad she wasn’t authorized to pump the pheremone from Flayer mammery glands into the room, then the party would really get started. But the EEF frowned on that level of environmental manipulation so she left it at lighting and music.

Four hours later a much more pleased looking Colony General Malthus returned to the command room, asking, “How goes the situation on the ground? Any report from our teams?”

“Not much,” said Anise, “Glog was terminated, final death. The Mirror Crystal shattered. And Old Vlad escaped with the Teardrop Hammer from the Mirror Crystal Timeline.”

“And none of this was worth interrupting me for???” asked the Colony General incredulously, “And who authorized Glog being granted final death? We needed to know their plans… their backup contingencies…”

“My apologies sir, we just got word from Shinefox,” Anise said, “They moved in to secure Glog with an excellent plan. Somehow Glog was shot through the head with a zela bullet by the leader of the Rhug’na’ru Captain Reshed. Shinefox couldn’t quite explain how it played out.”

“Divine providence eh? Maybe one of the Ascended beings decided to grant someone a vision of what they needed to see?” asked Malthus only half joking.

“Actually reports from Simonsburg claim that Agent Uriel may have ascended during the last battle,” said Anise.

“What?” asked Malthus.

There was a shimmering as Uriel assembled an avatar form in the office, “It is true, sir. And while I can only tell you a tiny fraction of all the amazing things I have learned, I can tell you there is much I would like to share.”

“Well when Captain Kincaid ascended he told me a very similar story, and you know what sort of info I wasn’t given? I don’t know maybe something about a Djinni Crystal Temporal Bomb about to go off a three hour flight from the Colonial capital city I am sworn to protect?” asked Malthus.

“Do not fret, the crystal from this timeline shattered over a year ago, only a layer of stone around it has prevented it from showing that it is nothing more than pile of slivers. It was only a matter of time until its twin also shattered. You have something at your disposal which may help you immensely. That self worshipper Krodnok has gained enough followers to fix the damage the Djinni have already done. In a way you are lucky. If one of the Ascended were to fix the crystal, it would allow one of the Ancient Evils a similar latitude in your dimension, which is probably exactly what the Usurper is hoping for,” said Uriel.

“The Usurper, a Black Level threat,” said Anise listing his rap sheet, “Known operator behind the Massacre at Nithonheim, The Frosty Incident, the Warmonger Cult Uprising of 2218AR, and the Battle of the Factory of Holys in 2219AR. Suspected agent behind the original rise of Warmonger, and demon prince who turned the K’ias Emperor and three suspected HiveQueens.”

“Quite infamous,” said Malthus with little humor, “So what is the Usurper’s end game with this?”

“That I truthfully don’t know,” said Uriel, “He probably expected you to summon Kincaid and have Kincaid heal the crystal, allowing Kalok to act directly in this dimension in some profound way.”

“But you said this Krodnok character can pull this stunt off?” asked Malthus.

“Much like Agent Candy, Krodnok has developed a fairly profound Cult of Personality,” advised Anise, “His teachings are about empowerment in this life and the next, but don’t include any forced conversion so our standard religious policy…”

Malthus cut her off, because he had been the one to write the policy, “Standard Religious Policy is to allow anyone to believe anything they freaking want as long as they don’t force anyone else to believe it in other regions. If it weren’t for that policy I would have allowed the Field Marshall to nuke Dunesphere into a smoking crater long ago.

In this case however if this Krodnok isn’t doing any human sacrifice, or ritual cannibalism or any other weird rituals that will bite us in the ass, I think we may need to cozy up to him.”

“Shinefox has already discussed some preliminary terms in case you would like to approve them?” asked Anise.

“He want anything out of the ordinary?” asked Malthus.

“Recognition for his underground City. Nonaggression pact. Passports to allow some of his Priests access to the festivals at the City of the Gods. Recognition that his undead citizens are equals of his living citizens and our EEFers won’t shoot them on sight,” said Anise.

“Grant them all, just make sure he understands if they are dressed like Warmonger’s Dead, it won’t matter who they worship because I’m not rescinding the kill on sight order. Get them some fashion designers to update their armor’s look,” said Malthus.

“You kidding sir?” asked Anise.

“No Im not kidding. The whole idea of uniforms were so you would know who was on your side and who was on the enemy side at a glance,” said Malthus, “Maybe send Agent Candy down there so it can be one Godhead talking to another Godhead.”

Uriel said, “Good, and that will handle the threat of the Mirror Crystal. But the forces who came through are a different story. Nosferatu Kul’al of the Mirror Crystal Kul Gul Rapi, and Zhgog’ol Maklur the Mirror Crystal Yagogi Uhryu have both fled the battle. And worse yet the Mirror Crystal Kolgol Kalok’s Prophet is preparing to raise all of Port Unen as a sacrifice to Kalok.
If the Kalokians can finish their ritual in Unen, it won’t matter what happens to the Mirror Crystal, Kalok will consume most of the coast from Drewsport to Unen to the Isle of Mag Buskt in Volcanic Fire. And it will be only a days march before they can set the Colonies ablaze.”

“Then Port Unen will be our priority, but I want VLAD agents out there hunting for Nosferatu Kul’al Kul Gul Rapi and for Uhryu Maklur,” said Malthus, “I don’t want a Mirror Crystal Guerrilla War dragging out for years and years. Last thing we need with all those Oners already using the Ka Rhug and Kalok against the Olgog peoples.

Anise set the ceremony with Krodnok and the Mirror Crystal for tomorrow morning. I want this fixed and behind us so we can move in fully against the Kalokians at the Port.

Uriel is there anything you can share about the Kalokian defenses around the Port.”

But turning he found the Ascended Being had disappeared as suddenly as he appeared.

“Looks like we are on our own again,” sighed Malthus.

“Shall I go ahead with scheduling the ceremony sir?” asked Anise.

“Yes,” said Colony General Malthus.

Uriel was the third being he had ever met who had ascended from this reality and returned to it again. And that was three people over two thousand years. Two had required an ancient Falosini Relic to do it. Uriel was the first through sheer good heart, empathy, compassion and openness to knowledge to be able to achieve it.

A long, long time ago, Malthus had heard another vampire call Ascension the immortality they all wished they could have. But after speaking with Kincaid, he knew it had its own equally strict regulations of behavior. To know what threatens everyone you love, but not be able to just come right out and tell them because their fragile minds could not handle it? That must be a unique sort of hell.

The following day the Krodnok Ceremony went off without a hitch. Krodnok focused the faith of his followers with laserlike precision, fixing the rips created by the Mirror Crystal and rendering its threat harmless to both timelines. Fixing the crystal even seemed to heal some of the Reavers restoring them to their normal bodies.

Other than some reports from some of the attendees about being confused about flags and other small temporal hiccups, everyone was reporting being alive, which was a good thing. After so many stories about how many were killed off in the Mirror Crystal Timeline, the entire Colonial Authority was happy it seemed the Djinni’s cruel tricks had been foiled for now.

Malthus arrived at the small tower overlooking the rebuilding efforts at RhugTor. He was greeted by Shinefox and a small squad of agents.

“Agents, we have a unique challenge ahead of us. We know some measurable things, like heraldy, has changed in the 24 hours since the Mirror Crystal was disabled. Our analysts believe these changes actually occurred while the Mirror Crystal was active, but the Crystal somehow altered our perceptions of this world for the past two years,” said Malthus slowly, letting his words sink in.

Shinefox asked, “How could it affect Immutables and others protected from the Leyas?”

“It was an Annihilation artifact, it could have affected us all without any of us knowing it,” said Malthus, “Right now it is disabled. The statue at the Museum of Brez no longer has an active portal, and for all we know our timeline and their timeline now are permanently separated. But if something was altering our perceptions, we may be facing many unexpected threats.”

“I’m surprised you came down here for this Sir,” said Shinefox.

“There is a Mag Der’al outbreak in Chooru,” said Malthus, “I’m as safe here as anywhere in the capital. How was it seeing Old Vlad?”

“He betrayed us as usual,” said Shinefox nonchelantly, “Other than that I have confirmed he is using clones of Lurtor and Olgog the Olgog. And that he has lots of them. And he has the TearDrop Hammer.”

“One threat at a time,” said Malthus, “We help the Olgogs save their Port city. Then we deal with the Old Vlad.”