Glacial Wastes Mission Report 6: We upped an Army...sort of... (are we safe?)

Before they enter the Deathgeon… “This is a bad idea.” Eli McGraw sends a code message to Buffy for Strykker. His right hand gets cramped.

Buffy McGraw-Strykker (cause she was the type to hypenate) got the coded message that night when she arrived home from her day job. With a brother who was Field Marshal in the EEF, and their family name on the product, Buffy took her job as quality control at the receiving station for Strykker Jerky Company very, very seriously. She was an adventurer in her own right, and had settled into the Quality Assurance position with reluctance.

After an extra long day, discovering a Kasanthian terrorist had tried sneaking out of Baronade in a shipment of extra spicy Shashlee Jerky. Now the entire shipment had been impounded by the EEF, and Buffy was short twenty crates of extra spicy jerky. And Buffy knew S’anda at the Cantina was going to kick her ass if they didn’t deliver that jerky. S’anda had seen a triple in booze sales since she started offering the jerky for free to the patrons like the way bars back on Earth had offered peanuts.

Sitting down and preparing to read the message from Eli, Buffy felt a lot of conflicting emotions. She missed her husband dearly, but his acceptance of the Glacial Wastes expedition contract with the Banking Guild had kept him away for months.

She remembered how angry she had gotten. Buffy smiled angrily, knowing she had lied to Eli saying she had sold his huge stereo system and collection of ancient Earth records, CDs and flash drives. Millions of songs, history, but Buffy was no fool. She had instead transferred them over to a private vacation apartment down in Neo Vargas. She had a place out in the Dens, and with the added music it had become her crash pad when not at work. Eli wouldn’t know about it until he came back, but until then, she was hoping he was seething over it.

But this month was a work month, so she was in Dusk. As she settled down and uncoded the message she began to write it down and then reread it. "Things are escalating up here. Sea Kings, Dragons vs Quall and Clone Army of OTO/Lurtor are just the tip spear. Requesting “independent help” though non-official channels. i.e. Heavy armed fortune hunter and settlers. - Love Eli P.S. Details on what has happen the next 30 pages.”

Buffy smiled thinking he was messing with her. Then she turned over the message and noticed a change in the code used. Her smile turned to a snarl as she realized there was 30 pages of coded message there on the back of that one page. Eli must have really cramped his hand to write all these coded sections on the back. But Buffy knew it was going to take all night to get the basics translated so she could at least transmit the message.

She lifted up her VLAD agency comm crystal before she began and said, “Transfer me to Anise please.”

The girl from iponema played on as the hold music, but finally ended on a high note. Buffy could hear Anise’s voice.

“Agent McGraw-Strykker, this is a not unexpected call. Considering the Kasanthian terrorist you discovered sneaking away in the crate, I have been calculating when you would be calling in,” said Anise.
“Interesting, yes, but not why I’m calling,” said Buffy, “I suspect the EEF Interrogators will make the Kasanthian talk with a few healing artifacts quicker than I can. I’m calling because I got a call from my hubby out in the Glacial Wastes. Apparantly he has an issue with a clone army, and I know VLAD agency clone protocol is to call in any cloner tech.

It is a full blown Olgog clone factory out in the Glacial Wastes.”

“Thank you for reporting this Agent McGraw-Strykker,” said Anise, “I will send in some VLAD agents to contain the situation.”

“I think Eli needs immediate help,” said Buffy, “He wouldn’t risk me selling off more of his shit, if he didn’t really need the help.”

“Are you okay Agent McGraw-Strykker?” asked Anise.

“I am okay,” said Buffy, a few held back tears, “Can I be transferred over there? I would like to be part of the team that helps him…”

“I’m sorry, Buffy, we cannot put you at risk in that way. In addition, the Glacial Wastes has been declared part of the Penal Colony Zone. Unfortunately the entire zone is where the worst and most dangerous agents in the agency have been transferred as the first prisoners of the new penal colony of Jemison Post.”

“But…but I saw a Guild report on the place, they mentioned my hubby and a town called McGraw Harbor,” said Buffy confused, “There was nothing about a penal colony.”

“McGraw Harbor is a free harbor, with your husband and the Guilders as the only law,” replied Anise, “They are technically on the border between free and penal.”

“Oh no…” whispered Buffy, “I think Eli may have gotten in deeper than he expected again.”

“Please repeat that?” asked Anise, “It was too quiet to transmit.”

“Nothing Anise,” replied Buffy, “Tell me when you rescue my husband. It will relieve some stress. Anything I need to know about that Kasanthian?”

“No…” said Anise, “Except you may want to look for more of them coming in future shipments.”

“I will,” said Buffy, “Agent McGraw-Strykker signing off.”

Buffy put away the VLAD agency commcrystal and looked at Eli’s prized Gun Collection. They weren’t the day to day guns which Eli relied upon, they were the museum pieces he had collected over the years. Some purchased with funds stolen from Lurlock, and some traded for on his adventures. She began grabbing hold outs first, then a shotgun and a foldable carbine. She grabbed a heavy armored winter coat, and winter pants. Then she slung the shotgun to her back, and added an extra scabbard for a long rifle.

She opened a small box and lifted up a nanite disassembly watch with multiple studs, a gift from a former suitor who didn’t work out. Placing the watch on her shoulders, she began disassembling boxes and boxes of ammo. Only when she had enough to fuel a civil war, she seemed ready to leave.

Walking out under the red Dusk sky, Buffy McGraw-Strykker approached a tarp covered form out on the ferrous sand. Pulling away the tarp with a flourish, Buffy spun it into a tight square and stored it away in a compartment on the side of the revealed vehicle. It was an old model Sforza gunpod. But it didn’t have a cockpit, instead having a plasteel canopy that only covered the first quarter of the vehicle. The rest was open air with seats for two. The gunpod had obviously been maintained for many years by hand, and not many of the parts were originals.

Buffy McGraw-Strykker didn’t care if the VLAD agency activated her or not. She wasn’t going to let some Quall or a Clone army take out her husband. She leapt into the pilot’s seat, and warmed up the engines. The vehicle leapt a full meter into the air and began slowly moving up and down a few centimeters every few seconds. It kept the same general height as the hover emitters tried to maximize weight displacement over the uneven terrain.

Buffy waited and watched the gauges, checking everything twice. She pulled out a diary and made some notes on one page, then turned to a blank page at the back of the book. In code she wrote:

“Dear Husband Eli,
I am sure its been cold out there, as cold as my bed here. I am frustrated by your lack of regular communications so I will be taking a long boat out to visit you. Don’t bother writing, you haven’t so far, except when you needed help. And the boat won’t be able to receive mail.
I’ve informed the Agency, but not my brother. He is very busy up in space, and I hate feeling like I am bothering him. If the agency needs him they will call upon him. I suspect your request for mercs and settlers will be met soon enough.
I was still annoyed so I decided to sell your entire gun collection to fund my shoe and gunpod parts collections. It was so nice taking all those strapping young lads to the gun ranges to test out your unused pieces. Sold them all for a nice price, and I cannot wait to walk the Strip in Neo Vargas.
Oh don’t feel too bad. I was faithful, didn’t let any of those big men put their hands on any of the goods other than the guns. But you only loved them half as much as me right?
Greatest of Loves,
Buffy McGraw”

Part 1: Lurtor learns the Scariest Truth…

Lurtor stood over the computer pannel. He felt nearly naked not having most of its gear on him. He was dressed in a uniform like one of the clones working for the Old Vlad. From all the markings on their gear, they called themselves the OVC (Old Vlad Compatriots). OVC uniforms were more comfortable than their EEF counterparts, and Lurtor at least had to give them that.

He stole a uniform for Eli, and was happy to have the gunslinger watching his back while he hacked the computer. Getting in had been easy for Lurtor. An Eyespy found them a shadow deep in the main computer core of the Cloner Base. The computer core was protected by an EMP flux device that forced them to come in person, but at least the Eyespy mek had gotten them past most of the traps and all of the guards.

Lurtor concentrated harder, using nanites to disable security defenses as he hacked away. Finally he reached the information he sought and stopped genuinely confused. There was no programming going on from what he could see. These OtO and Lurtor Clones were all simply the memories of each of the soldiers. None had anything forcing them to serve the Old VLAD.

Lurtor did notice there was an extensive two year period of memories his own clone-self did not contain, and wondered what data it contained. So he used the computer system to created a backup copy on a Nanite capsul-drive for review when he was safely out of here.

He did see an opportunity and inserted some programming to get the clones to defend the Jemison Post and McGraw Harbor settlements from the Sea Kings. But as he finished it, he realized some security measure was activated. Going back through his steps, he saw that inserting a new target into the minds of the clones also started a secondary process which tripped a trap.

Lurtor stepped back from the computer, “Umm Eli, I have good news and bad news? Which do you want first?”

“I always take the good news first,” said Eli, “Except when the bad news is really bad.”

Then the entire wall sealed itself with a blast door, cutting off any escape from the computer room. On the security moniters, Lurtor and Eli could see the clone tubes were draining and the army of OtOs and Lurtors began suiting up. Within minutes they seemed ready for combat, and Lurtor gulped.

“So bad news first,” said Eli.

“I may have fallen for one of the Old Vlad’s digital traps,” said Lurtor, “It was just too easy to program the clones to defend us from the Sea Kings.”

“And giving them a target was enough to activate them huh?” said Eli, “That makes sense from what I’m learning of the Old Vlad. But you look way too shaken.”

“I just found out these clones…they aren’t forced to work for the Old Vlad,” said Lurtor, “There was no programming I could find. Just a two year period of service in the VLAD agency that predates the first two that I remember.”

“That is quite concerning,” said Eli, “So these clones, they have been planned for a long time…”

“Longer than you or I,” said a voice from behind them. A K’iou with his hands up in an obvious surrender walked out of a shadow. He said, “These clones here were developed in the ages before the Earthers spread across this planet. If what I have discovered here is true, there was a time traveler from the future. A cloner who set up this clone facility, and wiped out the Earther military the first time at the glacial research facility.

He was building this army for his son, someone called Captain Oliver. I was hired by an Olgog the Olgog clone. I was hoping to get some of those Mag Buskt contracts in the tropical south for my team. Now I don’t even know if they are alive.”

Lurtor said, “Bysos Borak, I presume?”

“You presume correctly,” said the K’iou, “These Lurtor clones are infected with the Dragon sickness and have been installed with weapons already.”

Bysos Borak sat down slowly and asked, “Mind if I have a swig from my flask?”

Eli drew his pistol and then said, “Move slow, and you can.”

Bysos Borak took a long swig from his flask. Then he did another. Then another. Then burped.

Then the Blast Shield wall was shattered from the other side. Lurtor and OtO clones streamed in, and Bysos Borak, Lurtor and Eli found themselves surrounded.

“Okay, tell me the good news Lurtor,” said Eli.

“I told you the good news already, they are programmed to defend McGraw Harbor and Jemison Post from the Sea Kings,” said Lurtor.

“That is great,” said Eli, “Their hate of the Sea Kings doesn’t guarantee their love for us, buddy.”

Lurtor paused and said, “Well I had other things I had wanted to do before the trap caught us.”

A Lurtor Clone said, “We will take you back to Jemison Post, and claim its control. We must defend it.”

“Good we want to defend it too,” said Lurtor eagerly.

The Lurtor clone looked back at him indifferently, “That is why we have not granted you final death yet.”

As Lurtor, Eli, and Bysos Borak were about to be pulled out of the room by the armed and dangerous clones, there was a moment where Lurtor grabbed both and dropped back into the nearest shadow and escaped via eye spy.

Epilogue

Lurtor grabbed McIvinson by the cuff, “Administrator please listen, there is an army of Lurtor and OtO clones on its way here.”

“I know they arrived before you,” said McIvinson obviously feeling overwhelmed, “They promised to defend the settlement so I allowed them to move in. The problem is we don’t have enough food for them, or enough housing.”

Rewards

Jemison Post gains 500 Lurtor and 500 OtO Clones, they won’t build stuff or work for the colony. They will defend the colony if under attack.

McGraw Harbor gains 500 Lurtor and 500 OtO Clones, they won’t build stuff or work for the colony. They will defend the colony if under attack.

Both groups will defend the area from Sea Kings invasion, and missions may allow their involvement.