Glacial Wastes Mission Report 3: An Iron of a Time, at the Iron Mine

Prologue: Rolling out from McGraw Harbor
Olim Antwerf was pissed. “You to do what with our crew?”

“The job is not done. We got a mine to defend for a bit,” grin Eli.

"Settlement is built and contract says - "

“Contract says you leave when things are done. They. Are. Not. Done. Besides with the Sea Kings out there, no easy way home for 'em unless we can get people to come in,” Eli sighed.

"One forth of a stake in a mine defended by 30 plus common workers?”

“Yeah. Plus some help from our friends Lurtor, Grim and Nuria. Also, I’m giving you all you guys the full cut of my share of the mine to compensate.”

“What?” was all Olim could say.
“Yeah, helps to motivate don’t it?” asked Eli.

The pair watched from the window of Eli’s office, as workers were prepping the gear they would need for the mining operations. Olim knew Eli was leaving the Harbor undefended, and he was worried about that.
Eli had already killed off a bunch of local Bestials, and if they had any kin, they’d be looking for revenge. But Olim was a Guider first, and he knew the potential a Mine like this could give. One fourth of its profit would make Olim personally a larger success than either Guilder Alphine or that new Guilder Mum Mun.

And it would allow him to pay the workers enough to make up for the threat of attack by Sea Kings forces…he hoped.
And if they failed in holding the Mine, at least all of the citizens of McGraw Harbor would find their end together instead of the long cold death by starvation that Olim suspected was originally in store for them.

Part 1: To Defend a Mine, or What worth a hole in the ground?
“And that’s the last one,” Nuria said. She takes the stone from Lurtor and gently places it in the ditch where it’s supposed to be. Then they covered the trench, making sure it would collapse when stepped on.
Lurtor dusted off his brow, now that the first part of the preparations were done. He turned to his allies,

“This mine is important for a few reasons. This mine will be another aspect of additional trade to allow us to get to where we can invest and pay those who are helping our settlement and community survive and grow. We do not want to just exchange services for just what each being needs to survive. But create and expand opportunity for those here. We have a fishing industry. As we keep adding to this, we will get closer and closer to that goal.

But another important reason to defend this mine, is that if the warmongers forces want it, it most likely is in our best interest to prevent them from having it. And we will need to find out why they want it so badly.”

Lurtor to his comrades “ We need to get to where the Post makes Ghaz and we can pay those who work for us. I want to be careful especially now that we have the native olgogs flowing in that we don’t slip into an indentured servitude or give them no choice but to do what we say. We are way too close to that for my liking. I hope this and the other industries we are working will help us get to a point where we can employ our helpers vs trading with protection, shelter, and food. Any other ideas to help this would be great. And thank you for the help up to this point as well.”

Grim just looked at Lurtor. He had nothing to say to the Olgog. Grim had been frustrated enough by the responsibilities necessary to lead Jemison Post. He would rather give it up and spend more time with his adopted daughter, Bliss. Now they were stuck in charge of a Mine, which seems more responsibility not less.
To that end both Lurtor and Grim had agreed to pass all formal leadership responsibilities to Administrator McIvinson. A former EEF Comms Officer, it was his first shot at civilian leadership, and he was already trying his best to incorporate the white fur Olgogs. Administrator McIvinson had waited back at Jemison Post.
Grim looked at the many false entrances that the defenders had created, watching newly arrived McGraw Harbor workers jump down from the Hovertrucks and begin building reinforced fortifications. They scurried around, and began work on a set of Bunkers.
Grim sighed, it seemed this would be a permanent footprint of their Expedition.
Grim wandered thru the mine, checking placements and concealments. So far he had to only correct a few minor things.

Every so often, he would go to the entrance and listen to the reports of the scouts. The scouts had orders to keep their distances from any enemy forces they might find and to run if possible from any fights. their only job was to warn the mine forces.

It was on the 5th of these treks back to the surface that Grim met with a white fur scout named Grestlelet who whispered of the snow trails of White furs approaching the Mine. Grim sounded the alert, he knew the first attack was immanent.
Nuria took up position by one of the many entrances that dotted the snow field, signaling she was ready,
Eli got aboard Silent Molly, and with a team of armed workers sped off to meet the attack head on.
Grim watched as Lurtor worked on some sort of larger transport vehicle. Grim wondered if he should advise the Olgog to wait until after the battle, then decided against it.

Their defenses were strong. Walls, Bunkers, pit traps, trenches filled with incendiaries, and more fake entrances than you could shake a stick at. Grim knew that all this would mean little if the Illuminated in charge of the attack was to deploy their Annihilation Eye…

Part 2: Tiordane and the Invaders Four
Illuminated Captain Tiordane Ikuz Unixah hated the cold. His grey skin was covered in goosebumps, and his knees knocked as he stood in snow up to his waist. The Raiti Silks of his robes of office covered little and left much to be desired when it came to chilly gusts of wind. Like most of the Illuminated serving Pharoah Unixah here in the glacial wastes, Tiordane made sure to bring artifacts to keep him warm, and artifacts to hide his aura.
One of the grubby little white furs approached humbly, and Tiordane had to give the beastie credit for trying to show respect to his betters. He noted the shock of blue fur the Olgog had in a small patch on his chin, almost like a goatee amid his primarily white fur. Markings like that were one of the few ways Tiordane could tell his slaves apart.

“You, Blizzard Blue, what have you to say of the Mine?” asked Tiordane.
The humble Olgog bowed again, “Mighty Ikuz, I have seen the Invaders Four spoken of by the previous scouts. One is the Green Fur Olgog Lurtor, and he is working on some sort of vehicle. It has no weapons from what I can tell. The second, Grim the Bastard I have not seen. He must be very stealthy.
The Third is the Pyromancer Nuria, her aura burns brighter than them all…”

“Probably because she has not artificed anything to obscure her aura” replied Tiordane, “A rookie mistake. But one I am proud to take advantage of…What of the Fourth? The one called Eli who has no aura.”

“The Immutable has been the hardest to track. I cannot keep an eye on him when under the snow, because he is invisible to my Leyas sight. But the Eli has been using a truck he calls Silent Molly, and that I have been able to track.
That is why I returned so fast most Glorious Ikuz! They must have scouts too, because they are coming out to meet us.”

Tiordane scratched his chin and then said, “I had thought to test their defenses before we would see them in battle. It looks like no such test will be occuring. Blizzard Blue, tell the other white furs it is time to be like the Tsoga when the Tladarmag fill the sky.

Boggort, Boggort my Bestial, come here.”
The creature that pulled itself from the snow was menacing. It was humanoid, but covered in thick brown fur. Its hands ended in long claws that seemed to cut the air where they passed. Its feet had claws as well, but it was its face, twisted and animalistic, that made the creature truly seem Bestial.
“Master Ikuz Tiordane, I, Boggort the Lesser, serve you above all others. What might I do to better serve you?” asked the Bestial.
“Take five White furs, prepare an ambush for the Silent Molly and its crew. You know the ways of the snow and ice, you do not need me to hold your hand. Go now, Boggort, take the Earthers and make them your feast,” commanded Tiordane.

Tiordane and Blizzard Blue took up a position in a snow bank. Nearby a rocky outcropping provided the perfect shadows to hide in. They watched and waited.

Under Boggort’s orders, a single White Fur popped up within sight of the Mine entrances. He began hurling icicles until the Hovertruck raced towards him. Then diving back in the snow, the white fur tunneled back towards Boggart’s ambush.
The Silent Molly was already upon him. Riding in its turret was Eli McGraw, and Tiordane saw the Immutable for the first time. It was true what they said, the Immutables had no aura. If Tiordane had not known what to look for, he would never have noticed the gunslinger. But Tiordane had not survived among the Sea Kings for foolishness or abrupt action. And though he had a perfect shot at Eli McGraw in the turret, he did not take the shot.
Instead he watched and waited. The Silent Molly had caught up with the fleeing white fur, and its scatterguns peppered the snow near the tunneling Olgog. It was anti-climactic in a way, a set of rapidly fired shots did catch the white fur, but while the Olgog was still below the snow. Instead of seeing anyone pop up, instead they could see the red blood blossoming across the snow, seeping up from under the surface.
The Silent Molly came to a stop next to the blood patch and one of the Earther workers jumped down carrying a springshot rifle. The worker leaned down, tapping the snow with his feet. Then with a firm kick, he lifted the olgog body to the surface. The white fur was quite dead, in that messy way salvos of shotgun shells do.
The worker yelled up, “Hey Boss, This one is dead. I don’t know how I feel about going to war with the local yokels. Heck we aren’t even soldiers. The closest I’ve ever come is killing a Nightmare that tried to eat my kid brother.”
“Think of this on the job training to getting us into better fighting shape. We’ll learn their weakness as we go,” smiled Eli.

“You the boss,” replied the worker. Then suddenly the worker disappeared under the snow. He gave a half choked off yelp before his untimely demise under the snow.
Eli didn’t like it one little bit. He looked at a nearby worker, “You, do me a favor and see if you can fish our buddy’s body out of the snow. I’ll keep you covered.”
“I didn’t sign up for this!” yelled one of the workers carrying a crossbow. He leapt off the Silent Molly and began running back towards the mine. He barely got ten feet away when the snow opened up below him. Within moments the worker was up to his waist in snow much deeper than expected. This worker tried to claw his way out, but whatever grabbed him was much stronger and they all could hear his back snap under the force. The worker’s body slumped down, disappearing with little more than a gurgling noise.

“Let’s murder these chumps!” roared one of the workers who witnessed it. This gal leapt up, firing her pair of springshot pistols in rapid succession. Their metal spikes struck the snow, and a white fur Olgog leapt up. He had a spike through his shoulder, but it didn’t stop him from hurling a trio of icicles through the worker with the pistols.
She tried to climb up the truck to dodge the counter attack but wasn’t fast enough. She fell badly wounded onto Eli and the turret.
Eli tried to staunch the blood flow, and finally moved her behind him so he could swivel the scatterguns towards the attacking Olgog. “Hmmm, should have thought about how to get the White Furs above the snow line before I drove out here….”

Molly also threw in her two ghaz. “I am an advanced Hovertruck. My job is to drive folks back and forth. You suck.”

“Yeah but the monsters we’re fighting eat children and smash advance tech stuff. Like you,” he smiled again.
He sighted in the scatterguns and depressed the trigger three times. The white fur Olgog was caught by the blast and lifted up and knocked backwards. His blood sprayed across the snow, and using it Eli could spot two more of those snow trails coming straight for the Silent Molly.
Eli and his workers began to fire rapidly, trying to hit the fast moving white fur. At that moment Eli heard a crunching noise from the front of the vehicle. And he heard Molly screaming in pain.
Rotating the turrent back, he saw something clawing its way up the side of the vehicle. It was a bestial just like the family that Eli had blown up in that coastal cove. So Eli was aware of what he was facing. But he had little experience fighting the monsters, and Grim had been emphasizing the Illuminated’s Eye so much, they had all forgotten about the Bestial’s claws.
The claws cut steel like paper, and the Silent Molly was badly wounded in that first attack. The Bestial was moving so quickly, that Eli found it faster to quickdraw his revolver than wait to line up the scatterguns. He fired two rounds point blank into the Bestial’s chest. The creature slowed but only for a moment. Eli wondered, had the creature been armored? No, it was wounded, big gaping bullet holes. But the revolver had not had enough stopping power. The monster was still coming.
Its claws raked down, striking Eli in the chest and passing through his nanite shield easily. One claw bisected his wrist sending his revolver dropping down into the hole below him. As it clattered deeper into the vehicle, Eli could see his workers were not holding their own against the pair of white furs. Suddenly he was feeling the pressure of conscripting civilians into what was overall a military action.
The white furs had been living in this harsh terrain their entire lives, fighting off Icewyrms and other threats. They had no fear of the workers springshots, and only Eli himself seemed to be a threat. A threat directly being dealt with by their Bestial Overseer.
Eli and the Bestial were fighting above the Silent Molly as her hover engines roared to life. The child-mind in the vehicle was hurt, and scared and did what most children did in that situation.
It ran…

Tiordane watched as the Hovertruck rushed off, leaving two bewildered White furs in the snow. Boggort the Lesser was still aboard the truck, and the Illuminated wondered if the Bestial had even noticed the vehicle was moving. He sighed. They were so militant those bestials…but they did make excellent overseers.

Their ambush had taught them much. The Invaders Four were well trained. Warriors all, they were the real threat. But the workers…in his own society Tiordane would consider the workers little more than slave stock. A single Cambion would equal ten of them, and Tiordane realized he had gone about this reconquest all wrong.
He had thought to drive out the Invaders Four with fear, keeping his forces light and mobile for hit and run tactics. But now he realized, if he had sent his full Cambion army against this Mine not only would he take it, but most of the workers would simply break morale and flee like the slave-stock they are.
Tiordane needed to cut off the head, and it seemed the Invaders Four were that head. He called over Blizzard Blue, and asked the white fur to spread his orders to the rest.
“Boggort the Lesser should be considered a loss, but at least he has taken the Silent Molly out of the battle.
While one Bestial leads a vanguard of five white furs on the next assault, this time to the entrances of the Mine, my remaining two Bestials should gather up the remaining white furs and prepare for a full scale offensive.
Tell them all, when the vanguard reaches the Invaders Four, the rest of the army must strike hard against the workers lines. Wound them, kill them, and take them back to be resurrected as slaves.
If all seems lost, bring the slave-stock back here and we will begin an ordered retreat.”

Blizzard Blue was standing there mouth agape, he was no subcommander, and he was no military officer.

“My Lord, why would your bestials listen to commands from my Olgog mouth?” Blizzard Blue asked sincerely.

“Because their Ikuz commands it,” said Tiordane, and then he reached into a silk pouch on his belt. From it he pulled a lock of black hair, “Show them this, and they will know the command comes from Unixah herself.”
Blizzard Blue took the lock of hair, and dived into the snow, leaving Tiordane alone with his thoughts…

Part 3: Nuria’s First Taste of Warfare

Unlike Lurtor and Grim and Eli, Nuria was not a veteran of the Border Wars. She had never stood in the trenches, she had never had to man an arrow slit at a fortification, and she had never faced Bestials before.
Nuria could tell something was wrong when Eli’s truck didn’t come back immediately. There were sounds of gunfire, and metal tearing, but it was beyond their sight lines. Nuria could tell some watermancer was turning the snow around their position into plumes that kicked up enough of the white stuff to cut off most visability beyond their lines.
Then she saw it, a trail line coming right towards one of the faux mine entrances. From that one burrow split four others. Each moving towards a different fake entrance.
One white fur reached the hidden trenchline first. A trio of fireballs erupted, melting snow and cooking flesh. His screaming, immolating form stood for a few agonizing seconds before it collapsed to the ground dead.
Nuria breathed a sigh of relief, the defenses would hold. Then Nuria noticed one of the burrows had diverted after the explosion and was now coming right for her. The burrow seemed larger, and Nuria was quick to target it with fire. Flames leapt from her hands striking out towards the approaching form.
The snow melted and a Bestial was revealed. It leapt up over the trench line and landed a few feet from her. It was singed but alive. One unlucky olgog miner was the closest to the Bestial, and tried to hack at the monster with a dragon bone pick axe. The Bestial parried the pick axe with one claw, and made a quick swipe that cut the pick axe into pieces. The Bestial’s second strike caught the Olgog miner under the chin and separated head from body with an ease that chilled Nuria to her soul.
The massive monster turned once again towards her, and Nuria began to draw in Fire Leyas to blast the Bestial again.
From the mine entrance charged Lurtor, his own Vorpral claws flicked out and ready to go hand to hand with the deadly monster rather than let it kill any more of their workers.
Lurtor was quick, driving a claw into the Bestial’s thigh. The Bestial roared, but Lurtor knew it was far from a death blow. He tried to follow it up with a strike for the Bestial’s throat, but the Bestial’s claw was waiting for him. His own vorpral claw met the Bestial’s claw in mid air. Both could cut through most materials with ease, and this time it was no different. There was a wet sound as both one of the Bestial’s hands and Lurtor’s entire arm were ripped from their bodies. Their blood mingled on the cold packed snow.
The Bestial wasn’t dead and neither was Lurtor. Lurtor knew if he could just buy enough time his own arm would regenerate, and he suspected the Bestial’s wouldn’t.
Lurtor took the hit, taking the Bestial’s other claw in his stomach, and holding it with his own remaining hand. The pain was unbearable, but it held the Bestial long enough for Nuria to target it with a fireball massive enough that it cooked the monster inside and out.
Lurtor stumbled back, waiting, watching his stump begin to grow back, and the holes in his stomach closed up. He looked over at Nuria, and the pair shared a grimace.
There was a yell from the Foreman from McGraw Harbor, “Defenders keep your eyes up!”
There were at least fifteen of those snow mounds moving towards their positions. And each worker intook a breath when they realized they didn’t know if it was one Olgog per mound or multiple.
One of the workers looked at the foreman, and said, “Bubba, we ain’t soldiers, and we ain’t warriors.”
Malcolm “Bubba” Fillmore said, “You will hold that line, Because if you don’t you are gonna end up a slave on a Sea Kings ship. This isn’t about land, and it ain’t about a mine. This is us standing up to the slavers and saying we won’t stand for it in our lands.”
A younger guy with glasses, named Harriman Nysoff, countered, “Our Lands?? Bubba, we all heard the story about how the Boss-man Eli and his buddies stole these lands and this mine from the Sea Kings.”
“Liberated, not stole,” quipped the Foreman, “And the Sea Kings won’t care if you disagree with our legal status here, they are just gonna consider you slave material.”
Harriman replied, “So our choice is slavery with the enemy, or manning the trenches for our “friends”. Great choice…”
Before the Foreman could say anything, four of the mounds moved ahead with speed to outpace the rest. These four moved towards entrances, each moving towards a false entrance to Lurtor and Nuria’s relief.
When the burrowing white furs reached the hidden trap lines, there was the sound of fireballs erupting. The screams of burning white furs filled the air. The white furs died, and Lurtor could make out at least eight olgog bodies smoldering away.
But there was no cheer among the defenders. To them, today was the first time watching another living creature burn to death. And it wasn’t just one person, so far, but multiple Olgogs who burned alive in front of them. Some defenders looked away in horror, others couldn’t help but stare.
The only ones who seemed unaffected were the allied white fur miners, all of whom had witnessed much worse serving with the Sea Kings.
And it was the white fur miners who were the only defenders prepared when another Bestial leapt from the snow and began to cut through folks. Harriman could be seen being hurled up and over the snow field. The young man came down with enough force, Nuria could hear his leg snap like a dry twig.
Before she could act, a white fur pulled Harriman down into the snow. The last words she heard from the young man was him screaming, “Please help, please help me…”
Nuria felt a sob grow in her throat as she realized she couldn’t save him, or the other earthers being grabbed by attacking white furs. Lurtor was already in motion moving to engage the Bestial, and saving the life of Malcolm “Bubba” Fillmore in the process.
Then a series of explosions went off across the snow field. Grim had not been still during the main attack, and he had set bombs, brilliantly using the explosives to drive back the white furs. He had noted their use of the snowy burrowing, and dived between shadows using his speed and evasion to his advantage. As the white furs stumbled to the surface, some holding bleeding eardrums, he was already ready with a pair of sharp kuraz. Swinging the short blades at the maximum extension of their chains, Grim severed hamstrings on Olgogs many feet away.
He swung the kuraz in wide sweeping strikes. He drove his blades into the shadows at his feet, so they erupted from the shadows under a White fur trying to escape with a worker on his back. As the blades maimed the white fur, the worker fell towards the ground only to be grabbed by Grim and shadow walked back to their defensive lines.
Grim grabbed a pair of bombs and used them to take out a charging white fur posse. Then looking out across the carnage, carnage Grim had witnessed thousands of times before, he felt at home. Grim had been bred for battle like this, he had no sense of self preservation. Shell shock, or post traumatic stress disorder as it was known in medical circles was a virtually unknown condition among the Bastard species.
However the majority of the workers and Nuria did not have such a predisposition. As the sound of the bombs ended, Nuria could hear a ringing in her ears she had never experienced before. There were bleeding workers everywhere, and smoke from the fires everywhere. Her nose was filled with the scent of burning hair and flesh.
As the smoke cleared, she saw the enemies fleeing. They had won the day, but she could already see that many of the folks who had joined them wouldn’t be returning home today…

Epilogue
Olim got up from the crashed hovertruck. His head was spinning, and he spit out a trio of broken teeth. His wrist hurt badly, and he knew he would have to take a trip to a healer once they got back to civilization.
They were in a small copse of frozen trees, one of which the panicking sentient hovertruck had run into during her panic. Olim felt blood pooling from one ear. He lifted up a hankerchief, and pressed it against the ear.
Looking around he saw Eli still in the turret. The gunslinger had multiple wounds from the Bestial’s claws. The Bestial lay dead as well, having been flung from the crashing truck with enough force to snap its spine.
Olim put away the bloody kercheif and climbed up the side of the truck. He fumbled with Eli’s belt finding a nanite syringe and stabbing him with it. As the nanites restored the lost limb, the other wounds began to close.
Eli opened his eyes and looked around.
“How we do?” he asked.
“Might I recommend not facing Bestials in such a manner in the future. You are quite lucky to be alive,” said Olim, “The claws did a number on your truck.”
Eli got up and began realizing how badly injured Silent Molly really was. She was dripping fluids from countless places, and was unresponsive when he tried to speak to her.
Olim put a hand on Eli’s shoulder, “Lets get the truck back to Jemison Post, we can get replacement parts, and the truck wil be good as new.”
“Umm yeah…replacement parts…

Rewards

Nuria gains General Lvl 2, and has unlocked Artificing. She may create 3 artifacts automatically after the events of this mission.

Eli gains the Silent Molly faces combat. Silent Molly will be out of comission regenerating for the next mission and cannot be used until the following mission. Her F.S. goes up to 3 and she gains +1 attack.

Lurtor gains The Mining Transporter. This vehicle has V.A.R. 10 and can carry either 50 people or a “Huge Load of Ore”. It has a move of 8 and can travel across ice and snow. This is a unique artificed vehicle.

Grim gains The Mining Defense Guard. 15 Olgog White Furs are now ready and able to defend the Mine from trespassers and thieves. They cannot be assigned to other locations, but will protect the mine from everything except Army invasion, and Dragon attack. Grim no longer needs to worry about defending the mine.

The four gains 25 White Fur Prisoners and 1 Bestial Prisoner “Boggort”. These prisoners have been added to the other prisoners back at Jemison Post.

Losses
10 Workers from McGraw Harbor and 15 Olgog Miners from the mine have been captured by Tiordane and taken away as slaves. These slaves can be saved by the heroes during the next mission.
McGraw Harbor has been taken by Tiordane. It can be liberated as part of mission 4.