Expanding Ka'Rhug

Hail fellow olgog chiefs. I am sending a message to the most powerful of you to request help in a certain matter. The cave in which my tribe is located is part of a larger network of tunnels. The rock which it is made out of is the black rock which many of us call “obsidian”. I need help to dig through it all, and create a larger cave system. We don’t know however, what lies in those tunnels, but it could be very worthwhile. Any tribe who sends at least one healthy olgog will be allowed to establish a permanent colony in a cave we discover. Thank you mighty chiefs for listening to my plea, and I hope that we can work together in this matter.

A young Aufgog wearing robes with the signs of Ol’Lur and the Lur Union enters. “The Elder of my tribe has sent me to assist you in your expansion. He requested that I come because, like he, I have devoted myself to the totem of kalok. He told me that I would be a valuable asset to you and gave me this;” The young kalokgog held up a masterfully crafted obsidian ring that appeared to have an empty slot where some sort of gemstone might sit. “He said that it has been artificed with leyas that would be especially useful (Tunnel Materials).”

He gazed around at the obsidian cave in wonderment. “Oh, forgive me, my name is Makog. I, like my tribe’s elder, have devoted myself to the totem of- wait… Did I already say that?” Makog scratched his head in puzzlement, before continuing. “No matter, I was wondering; what will be done with the kalok that is mined out? I do not believe that it should be discarded. In any case, I am here to help you reach your goals.”

Kolgog smiled at the young gog’s queries, then stood and spoke,

“Why dear friend of the Ol’Lur tribe, the materials mined are to be used in any way we desire. We possess enough of the rock as it is, and so you are free to take as much as you want. However, being that we do not know what lays in these ancient tunnels, we will first examine any strange things found. My earth leyas permits me to see the rough outline of the gaps in the rock, but not what lays inside.”

He grimaces, wishing he had invested more time in his leyas capabilities than in his axe. “I am sure however, that as soon as a few more workers arrive we may commence the project. I have also made a rough outline of what appears to be two main areas we can delve into. You may choose a place in the new tunnels, if you wish, to establish a small area to use for any of your people who wish to stay here. And athough I cannot formally pay you, shall we agree that you may keep what you find? It is not often a place as old and rich as this is mined…”

Makog smiled at the older gog. “I thank you for your generosity. I am sure that I speak for my entire tribe when I say that we are happy to help you in any way.”
The young kalokgog then sat down and began fiddling with a short obsidian rod, carving small designs and markings into the surface, and waited for the project to begin.

Kar’al, for that was his name, looked around the cave sullenly. The efforts to expand it had been woeful at best. And now that accursed Ka alliance was off creating trouble, and had dragged off 5 of the youths who should have been digging. Now the cave was occupied by the young, inexperienced juveniles, and the tired old ones, who simply wished to lay on the warm rock, feeling the earth’s heat radiate into them. Yet, then there was the kalokgog, the one sent from the tribe of ol’lur. Kar’al had always thought it was amusing that despite Ka’Rhug’s volcanic disposition, none of the current aufgogs had chosen obsidian as their element. He sat down heavily, looking at the small pile of carvings the kalokgog had made. “And he shall have enough time to make many more of we do not get help soon” the olgog thought, and settled down for a quiet nap.

Makog had been sitting on the ground of the cave for a long time now. Or at least he thought he had. Time passed so strangely inside his head. In any case, he stood up and looked around for someone from the Ka’Rhug tribe. He found someone sleeping nearby, and prodded him with the obsidian rod until he awoke. “Excuse me, but when will the mining begin? Or has it already been done? I didn’t miss it did I?!” a look of panic crossing his face, “Is that why you were asleep? A victory rest after so much hard work? Oh, I knew it! I’m so sorry! I really did mean to help! I just get so fucused on the wrong things and it just doesn’t…” The young Aufgog continued to ramble to the sleepy gog.

The olgog muttered under his breath and said,

"Alas no young’un. Those young gogs who should be digging went off to fight those thugs of the Ka Alliance. Used to be the whole tribe would contribute, but with everyone away on errands…"His voice trailed off as he looked sadly at the rows of pickaxes, shovels, chisels, hammers, and other mining equipment that the tribe had once wielded with such vigor. It had been Kolgol’s great grandgog who had discovered the cave, and had started the operation to mine into the crater of the volcano, Mt. Rhug. It had been unsuccessful for all these years mainly because both Kolgol and his own father had more of a taste for battle and glory than digging in the earth. And so, when Kolgol had announced his plans to resume tunneling, it had been something of a surprise. The olgog smiled though, and managed to make conversation to pass the time.

"So you are a kalokgog eh? How does it feel to walk in a mountain which once threw fire. ash, and destruction into our world?

The look of panic faded away, and was replaced with Makog’s usual whimsicalness, as his eyes scanned the surroundings. “It feels… Incredible. Like I can feel everything through the kalok, and… The Ka’or… So, powerful here.” he said gazing with astonishment at as much as he could. “Can you feel it? Burning away, far below? It’s invigorating.” Makog took a deep breath to contain his excitement. “I wish to start the project now. To get a head start before the others return.”

The olgog raised his eyebrows in surprise. He nodded then, and spoke,

“And a hard worker at that. If only there were more like you in the world. I don’t see why not, so lets get going then!” A gleam comes into his eyes as he seizes a pick and motions to the four or so other work-able gogs. Within moments the sound of hardened iron on rock is heard, and tunneling commences with vigor. The olgog smiled to himself as he worked, wondering if after all,
they would reach the central crater of the volcano in his lifetime.

Makog happily digs in what ever direction he’s told to with his ring artificed with tunnel materials. Every now and then, he takes a few large chunks of obsidian and puts it off to the side, for him to take back to his tribe later.

Makog walks over to Kar’al with a look of contentment on his face. “Thank you for allowing me to assist you in your expansion efforts. Alas, I have been away from my tribe for quite some time, and must return for the time being. Again, thank you for your generous offer of kalok. My tribe and I are most grateful. I hope that our paths cross again soon.” With that, he packs the large-ish obsidian chunks into a shadow cocoon and returns the the caves of the Ol’Lur.

(OOC: Honestly, I lost track of how long Makog has been here, so I have no clue how much obsidian he would have gained. Not sure if it even matters, since obsidian is on my list of natural resources as well.)

The olgogs of Ka’Rhug bade farewell to Makog, sending him on his way with as much obsidian as the kalokgog could carry. The project had overall been a success, and they appreciated the help they had received. There would be many more expansions of course, and they would rely on all the help they could get.

As Makog unpacked his shadow caccoon in the Ol’Lur’s supply chamber, he discovered a strange fungus among the obsidian chunks, wrapped in a patch of cloth. He briefly wondered how it got there, but then remembered finding a good sized bunch of the odd fungi while mining the Ka’Rhug caves. He must have forgotten about them in the comotion with the Ka Alliance.
Searching through his caccoon, he found a few more stalks of the strange fungus inside of a hollowed out chunk of obsidian to keep them safe.

After a little bit of experimenting, (and nearly an explosion) Makog found the fungus to emit a gas that was quite flammable. He quickly sealed the remaining fungi in barrels where they would be less dangerous. Makog smiled widely as he imagined the possibilities.

(OOC: The fungus exhales hydrogen, as stated by Narrator.)