District 49: The secondary kingdom of PeaceLord Grim

On the 49th Petal of the living crystal city of Boriel’s Retreat were the Three Towers of Grim. Owned by the previous PeaceLord, Grim had taken over quickly with Boriel’s support.

PeaceLord Grim had three beautiful crystalline towers with ten floors each. They had art objects, and beautiful maidens and youths of all species. Each of the towers also had a single floor devoted to artificed levi-gliders used to move around the city. These galleries with six well maintained gliders each were obviously crafted by the finest airship wrights.

[Each levi-glider counted as V.A.R. 5 Flyer and could carry 10 passengers at a MOVE 10 Flyer. 18 total gliders.]

Between the towers were open courtyards filled with flowers. There were high walls at either end of the property because District 49 had multiple other PeaceLords’ lands on it. From any of his three towers he could see into the backyards of his neighbors all filled with armies.

Grim had a defensive force of his own here. Five Hundred PeaceBringer Slave-soldiers lived on the property, but the WarGiants of the Property had long been sold to pay off debts before Grim inherited the property.

There was a large reflecting pool, artificed to never freeze and provide clean safe water to Grim’s three towers.

[This is open to Grim and to Lurtor and to anyone Grim invites to this location.]

Grim stood on a balcony overlooking the main courtyard. In the room behind him were the unit leaders of the Peacebringers here in the towers and the head of the house staff.

Sighing, he turned and enter the room. Looking at the gathered, he took a seat at eh head of the conference table and motioned for the others to find places to sit around the table. “I have called you here to discuss my recent assumtion of the title of Peacelord and acquistion of these estates. As you may have heard, my forst acts as Peacelord was to free all my slaves, which include all of you i beleive. But i understand i still have aresponsiblity to all of you. I wouldnt feel right just kicking everyoen out in the cold, especially the cold around here. So i would liek to offer all of you a place here. Honestly, it would be just the same as you have been doing, but with the option to leave if you wanted. There will be some pay, not sure what yet. but it will probably consist of room and board plus a small salary, at this time. I have never really been good at being in charge of people, so if you have any questions or concerns, please ask them now. I’ll try to settle any qualms you have as best i can.”

Looking at the house staff head, he continued “The same goes for the staff. I have never really had a place of my own for any length of time, so i really don’t know all that is entailed with that. So I will be relying on you and the rest of the staff to maintain the estate. I will try to stop in regularly but my obligations elsewhere will probably keep me busy most days.”

Glancing around, “So are there any questions, concerns, or problems that I should address now?”

One of the newly freed Peacebringers, a K’iorn named Zaslam Arurn rubbed his bruised neck, uncollared for the first time in one thousand years. He raised a hand to get Grim’s attention.

"My Lord Grim, I am honored by your gift of freedom. And we are here to serve you proudly. But I have a concern. Since you had our chains and collars removed, word has spread across the 50 Districts. Slaves from across the lands are trying to make their way here, to these lands. They are killing guards and doing other acts of crime.

They think if they come to these lands they will be freed and lose their collar.

But my Lord Grim, if you will allow me to speak with honesty, if we accept them or free them, we will be breaking Boriel’s law. Each one is property of another peacelord even if they arrive in our lands without their master’s presence or permission.

Our only option will be to buy them, or return them to their slave masters.

We could barely afford to buy .05 of them, even if we liquidated every bit of precious metal in this great domain and every freed person here went without both food and salary.

And once we would buy those few, the rest would come in greater numbers.

How should we deal with this problem my lord?"

Zaslam Arurn*rushed back into PeaceLord Grim’s office. He looked very very worried.

"My Lord Grim, it has been many many weeks since I brought the matter of the neighbors slaves coming over the walls. We have doubled our population, and our food stores are running low. Worst still twenty other PeaceLords have come together and accuse you of stealing their property.

They demand you return the masses of slaves, give them an equivalent amount of slaves, or the 20 Precients will attack this Precient enforce. If History is any indicator, Lord Boriel will refuse to take sides and we will be left to defend this Precient from a dangerous civil war.

How should we proceed Lord Grim?

A) Give back the slaves seeking freedom

B) Give some other type of reasonably equivalent slaves in payment (Leyas automatons [need to learn skills to make them], enslaved aliens or some other solution [not nightmares or standard undead])

C) The Precient War of 2220A.R. Grim’s 49th Precient vs 20 Neighboring Precients. WarGiants, Airships and the whole shebang.

[Decision must be made in real time by July 22 2017, earlier is better]

(sorry for delay,Life been getting in way of fun)
(option c)

Grim Sat heavily in his chair. Shaking his head, he looked at Zaslam. "I apologize for having left all this on your shoulders. I got so distracted fighting the Warmongers that I completely forgot that this was still going on. None of this is your fault. I am just so tired of this crap. I am out there upholding the mission of Lord I’tash and this losers that have sworn to do just that are back here bickering. Well, I have had it with this posers. "

“Zaslam, please give orders to evacuate all unnecessary personal to Jemison Post. I will address the refugees and prepare a missive for Lord Boriel. I Have tolerated this bullshit for long enough. All I am going to ask of him is to sit back and let me and the forces I can bring to bear handle this.”

Grim walked out to where the refugees were encamped. Approaching he used the leyas to raise a pillar so that he was visible to the refugees. Using his troubadour abilities, he addressed the crowd, “Hello, many of you have heard of me but few of you have ever meet me. My name is Grim the Bastard. You have all apparently come here seeking safety in the realms I control. I have come to let you know that I have no problem with that, except that now many of Peacelord you once served have accused me of stealing you from them. Now I have no love of slavers and those who feel people are property. As such I have decided that i will not be giving into their demands. I am willing to fight for you and help you achieve your freedom. I cant do for you. I can give you tools to aid you but you will have to fight for it yourselves.”

“I can provide you with weapons and allies, but you will need to take up the fight yourselves. I can aid you but Freedom means little if it isn’t earned. All I ask is that you remember that you are supposed to be better than those that oppress you. Killing those attacking you is fine, but i will not condone any sort of atrocities . I will punish anyone who commits suchs acts personally.”

“Gear will be provided soon. Please prepare yourselves. Those that feel that you are nothing more than chattel will most likely attack soon.”

Nodding desicively, Grim lowers thepillar and walk off to his next meeting.

Traveling quickly and stealthily, Grim approaches Lord Boriel’s palace. Requesting a brief audience, Grim prepares himself for an unpleasant meeting.

Entering Boriel’s presence, Grim gives a brief bow and addresses the Peacelord. "Lord Boriel, I have come to make a request of you. I would like for you to remain out of the coming conflict between me and those others that serve you that feel they have a right to attack me. I will not give in nor do i ask you to intervene. I feel that they will be bringing this upon themselves. "

“I have come here to give you notice that I will be bringing in allies to aid me. there are many people that owe me favors. If those followers of yours that have remained here hiding in your city while i have been out fighting against the forces of the Warmonger Feel that they can attack me after all that has occurred in the last year, then i will not restrict myself in the forces i will bring to bear against them. Out of respect for you, I have come to inform you that I will be calling favors and aid from my allies, But i will not request any forces from government that are opposed to you. I will also require that anyone that comes to my aid restrict their actions to only the forces and realms of those peacelords that are engaged in the conflict. Any of them that act outside of those limits will be punished by me or one you choose.”

After hearing Boriel’s answer, Grim nods and excuses himself “By your leave, I have further prepartions to complete.”

Boriel leaned back with a look that told Grim that Lord I’tash’s chosen heir had been expecting a moment like this all along. He did not have a look of cruelty in his eyes. Instead Grim was surprised to see a mixture of hope and satisfaction in the beleaguered eyes of the broken baribur. For but a moment in his reign here, Boriel actually looked regal. Every word was said slowly and with care and with confidence.

"You ask me to allow foreign forces on my soil, to put my entire retreat at risk.
You ask me to allow you to slay a multitude of my loyalists, and set a precedent regarding slavery that might forever change my city and my power base. That is a significant sacrifice on my part, all while putting my faith in you to respect the vows you made as a PeaceLord. Such is the nature of leadership. You must put faith in those who offer service to great mutual causes. No greater mutual cause I can see is the restoration of my Lord I’tash to his throne.

PeaceLord Grim. You may not be aware but the Regent Elijah Morte just sold land…land in I’tash to the Sea Kings. To our enemies. Enemies ancient and for good reason. Elijah seeks to trade land for food. But the Land is NOT HIS TO SELL. It is not like grain. It was granted by right and privilege to the House of I’tash, and if my Lord I’tash was dead it would fall to me. Instead it stands in the hands of Elijah morte who sells them to Lord I’tashs greatest enemies.

I demand that IF I give you this right and this privalege to bring foreign forces onto my soil to do as you requested, you will grant me two boons of a very specific nature.

These two boons are but two things and they are linked. Upon your victory you will recieve the lands and slaves of the defeated PeaceLords, and you will march will this newely assembled army and your foreign allies from this mission, and you will attack the capital of I’tash and free my Lord I’tash from slavery and restore him to the throne!

You can even tell every single slave who goes with you, I grant them freedom in the name of Boriel I’tash and the Lord I’tash in their success in restoring the true Lord I’tash to the throne of the Northern Kingdoms."

And Boriel looked at Grim in a moment of truth and said, “What say you my PeaceLord?”