Dark Refuge Post 2220 Mission 8: Paranoia in the Heartland

It was all over the Holovid Displays at the bar, the candidate giving some sort of speech. It was Yildor Roren and he seemed upset and concerned. The Irony of the timing was not lost on Volphis.

“People of the Colonies we have been dupped by the EEF under Malthus and under Strykker.

Did you know colonial citizen that every colony has invisible floating aliens called Neliff around it? I saw one today, luckily it saved my life from the other thing I discovered today.

Did you people know there might be Leyas powered robots hiding in human form?? Tonight my life was nearly taken from me by one of these machines, and here is the automaton’s body!”

Holding up for the Cameras, a body, Yildor looked pleased and proud.
Maverick felt his stomach drop as he saw Yildor showing off a Phantom.

Alerts have been posted across the colonies, the lost colonies, the goblin lands and the glacial wastes. There are two hidden infiltraitors in everyone’s society. Candidate Roren is the first to speak openly about them and live.

One of the hidden threats is the Neliff. Unless you have faced Neliff before in combat(missions or live mission) you do not know of their weaknesses. They lay eggs in people which pop out quickly, and can use mind control to create illusions.

The other hidden threats are Leyas powered Automatons using powerful Light workings to hide their true nature and their true works in a settlement. They are known to be agile, and combat ready with hidden onboard weapons and extensive knowledge of the Leyas. Their leader is unknown.

_

Mission Part 1:Settlement Leaders and Tribal Leaders

How do you handle hidden threats?

Do you

A) Try find a way to stop one threat or the other from hiding in your society? Be speciifc about what you are using against Neliff vs what you are using against Automatons.

B) Purge anyone who is suspicious

C) Let the creatures keep doing what they’ve been doing, nothing catasrtophic has happened yet.

Mission part 2: Candidates

Candidates must make a speech about the Neliff and the Phantoms. May only speak with what the candidate knows from personal experience on missions and convention games.

Mission Part 3: An Incident at Hobtor Mine

There is an bandit raid by Olgog Raiders on the Hobtor Mine. Their aim is unknown and their goals probably stealing the valuable shipments of the rare stone. The raid consists of 50 Olgog raiders, 20 Shadow Walking foes of unknown nature, and 5 Goblin Kings (use DR Core book).

Limitations for each mission

Mission part 1: Any defenses your settlement normally has can be brought to bear or combined in interesting ways. Adept cultures can artifice some form of defenses but artificed defenses may not be approved by Narrator if they are too over the top or too out of character for that settlement or tribe.

Mission Part 2: Candidates Make your Speeches

Mission part 3: Each player may send one Fireteam consisting of 1 Hero/Leader and up to 10 subordinate soldiers into this combat. Make sure to be clear of tactics and techniques.
There are two battlefields. First is on the surface where pallets of Hobtor are being prepped for the Colonial markets. There are at least 100 pallets here.
The second location is the pit mine, where at least another 50 pallets are waiting to be hoisted to the surface for transfer
This is a night attack, with no warning so avoid plans involving prepared traps or ambushing the raiders. You will be attacking the raiders as they are in the process of loading up pallets upon what look like 10 UtR Skimmers dragging levi-carriages.

You know the rules. One post per player account to this mission. This mission closes at Midnight MST on Friday September 29th.

Remember there are only 3 missions left to DR2220+. The DR team hopes this has been an enjoyable experience for all.

King Blood’Og III was now a forced member of Kas Dannor army. He didn’t like it, but was terrified of Kas Dannor. Drza Drza would lead the raiders taking stuff.

King Blood’Og III would lead the fireteam to counterstrike enemies. He would crush anyone in close combat, but that is the last ditch plan. First plan. Use Brezan Stalkers to go underground. Pop up one at a time like whack a mole, except these moles use poison darts and thrown poison coated javelins. Drop the smoke bombs and escape to other areas if battle turns at one spot. Paralyse not kill. Don’t want full war with UtR at this time. Need Hobtor stone for Kas Dannor army.

Second plan steal and run.

Third plan steal and run.

Fourth plan steal and run.

Fifth plan steal and run.

(Drza Drza and Mak Laltor raiders are controlled by Narrator.

King Blood’og III is my PC for this mission. He is wearing Olgog heirloom plate, carrying Hobtor Axe and Hobtor Hammer, and 20 radiant poison dipped Javelins and 20 radiant poison darts. 10 Raiders armed with same type of javelins and darts.)

Lord Grimaldus steps to the podium, “Good day citizens of the Colonies, as many of you are aware candidate Yildor Roren made an announcement about being saved by an invisible floating alien called a Neliff from a leyas powered robot, which he shared the body of.

I have said this before and I will say this again, can we really be surprised by anything anymore? With all of the weird wacked out things in the universe invisible floating aliens and leyas robots are simply two more challenges to face us. We have faced demons, fire minotaur’s, nightmares, the Unity, Kasanth, the Northern Kingdoms, and insurrections from within and yet we have stood strong throughout.
Our first order of business is to learn about these new groups, Candidate Roren says these Neliff saved him, well lets learn about them, what does the EEF and the Colinial government know about them? What about these Robots? Was their interactions with Candidate Roren a misunderstanding or something more malicious? We have many questions and precious few answers.

We aren’t going to lose our heads and go on some witch hunt here, we aren’t fools, we are the colonies of Refuge and we have faced challenge after challenge and have always come out on top. We will learn out these groups and take the appropriate actions to safeguard the populous as we have always done.
Personally I have given orders to my people in Absolam and Hebron to begin investigations into the Neliff and Leyas Robots that may be within the cities. We are cooperating with the local EEF personnel and hope to have more information soon. We will not perform any purges like paranoid fanatics. We will work with the EEF to preform sweeps to locate any infiltrators, alien or automaton. Any that are found will be properly isolated and quarantined to prevent any incidents. We don’t want to cause any unnecessary chaos or deaths.

Thank you all, and may our cooperation and level headedness keep us prospering for generations to come."

Blackheart Securities would market teams to any faction in good standing with the banking guild for 100 ghaz. The teams would find the Neliff for what ever purpose the faction wanted.

In his own areas of control Childeen would send out envoys with ample security teams all with jammers to find the Neliff. He suspected his actions in part would lead to a Neliff genocide and wanted to atone for some of the blood he suspected would be on his hands. If the Neliff were hostile they would be put down. Otherwise he would offer them safe harbor on a few of his worlds where it was feasible for all of his people to wear jammers. He hoped to find out more about the Neliff and how they organize. He knew they all used the same title but his personal interactions with them led him to believe they were not a single hive mind.

The Neliff were deeply concerning to the government of Fort Lendill. While the impenetrable mind of the supreme leader would never fall to the Neliffs powers the rest of the government is vulnerable. The gun monks who’s minds had been honed to resist invasive thoughts would be deployed. They would use eye spies and the myriad of surveillance measures already in place that form the security blanket which lets every citizen know Cha’an and the government he formed actively care about them to find the Neliff.

The Gun Monks would expel all Neliff from Fort Lendills borders. Fort Lendill would not notify its neighbors and allies of the Neliff expulsion.

Candidate Roren has made some very serious claims during his last address to the Colonies. Though I think it perhaps unwise of him to engage in theatrical behavior regarding such important matters. Panic of the kind he showed and encouraged serves no one.
I can say that it is true that the EEF and all the Colonies have been aware of these so called phantoms for sometime. This information has not been kept secert or held by the EEF. Anyone who bothered to read accounts of the Boarder Wars would be aware of them.
They operated against the northern Kingdoms and have always said they are devoted to something they call “The Balance”. I would honestly say they have mostly been a force for good. However if they are now seeking to secert themselves amongst the Colonies it may be time to reevaluate that. We do know that they often employ light leyas to hide even in plain sight. That being the case erecting a light ward would expose them to full view. I recommend that each colony begin making sweeps of their streets at the shared expense with the EEF to find them and hopefully understand their goals more fully.
The Neliff are a different matter. We know little of them directly and only bits and pieces of their history. They were thought to have been extinct until recently reappearing. We have been aware of a group in the southern wastes. Them appearing this far north is concerning. However the best defense against them is vigilance and remaining calm. Panic can only endanger lives. Whatever else happens we must be careful to not fall prey to paranoia and panic. If you see suspect activity contact the authorities. Together we can deal with any problems the Neliff or phantoms can cause.

The Herald of Wintermute would purchase a sizable amount of Neliff Jammers from Blackheart and equip Vampire search teams to search for hidden Neliff and Phantoms, the search for the Phantoms probably wouldn’t be too effective as they hadn’t really encountered Phantoms in the past that they know of. However they did have the report from Major Set’gal about the Neliff and use this information to help in their search for the Neliff. In addition they would hire Blackheart securities to help them locate and capture any Neliff or Phantoms they could find. Any captured Neliff would be contained by Vampires wearing jammers and held down by simple undead without their own will so they couldn’t be controlled. The Neliff wouldn’t be killed unless there was no choice and wouldn’t be bitten by vampires as the effects would be unknown and Wintermute is not taking any risks.

Head Hunter Tor’og frowned at news of Invisible egg laying monsters who control brain, not good for Tor’Lallur or Pits. Then again Tor’og apparently no see aliens as they invisible. Also leyas automa…atomato…atomatoa, Reshed-Lok (Metal-Flesh), no good.

Tor’og call upon great Shaman of Filth Tor’lur to begin ritual at primary Pit. Call upon Pit to reveal any hiding Gor among Tor’Lallur lands and lands of friend Gogs. Gather muck from Pit and smear upon sleves while chant sacred words of Tor’lallur!

Dar’ab and Kor’ya lead ritual from secondary Pit as well, call upon sacred power of both Pits. Reveal hidden Phantoms and Neliff to Tor’lallur! Capture all Neliff and Phantoms, bind them in filth, strip power from them! (ward against everything but shadow) Once evil powers contained…throw in Pits! If worthy they may emerge from Pit and explain selves, if no worthy then they feed Pit!

Lurtor:
Mission part 1, Neliff and Phantoms:

Sharing of Information:
Lurtor appears to Lalder. Lurtor bows and says “Greetings Auf and council Gog Lalder.”

Lalder says “Greetings. I see you have changed much. We will have to talk on this soon, but events are moving.”

Lurtor nods and continues “I knew from my time defending the tribes that the Neliffs were manipulating much here, though I was never sure what the phantoms done. I have with me the information i have on them. Hopefully this will help. Troubadour is their weakness, and shooting them alot.”

Lalder says “You’ve heard about the ear buds? Picked up some for the elders. They block the Neliffs powers.”

Lurtor says “The redeemers are immune as well. Which makes any clones of me immune as well. If you wish, I’ll take a quick look if I notice any infested near by.”
Lalder says “You may, but only report to me. And only u. I will look at ways of detecting them too. Maybe artificing like the radar, I”ll let you know.

For the Phantoms, from what I say their illusion is leyas based. Maybe a light ward will at least warn you of them… unless they shapeshift.”

Lalder says “I’ll let you know if any of this works. Be safe.”

Neliffs:
Lurtor will do a quick look of the elders to see if any are infested and if he sees any other signs in the Auf Lal al Lands. Report and then return to Jemison Post.

Lurtor will get a set of the earbuds and see if he can reverse engineer them.

For the Neliffs, Lurtor will recruit his clones and himself to track down and eliminate any Neliff nests in Jemison post and the Lands they are responsible for (Dragons, etc). Lurtor had seen the devastation it takes to host a neliff community while in VLAD, he would not let them where he had ability to help.

Lurtor will offer this help to Lord Boriel city as well. In addition to the peacelord’s lands that he is/was impersonating, through a contract.

Phantoms:
For security, Entrances into office buildings will have some light leyas wardings before talking to an offical. Additionally for Peacelord Grim’s Throne/meeting room will be light warded by Lurtor like the bank vault. If anyone asks, this is to protect Grim.

Unless the Phantoms do harm in Jemison Post, they will be left alone. Though attempts will be made like above to make sure they knew they were dealing with them.

Mission Part 3, Mine:
Lurtor was interested in the mine attack. Who was doing this? Lurtor would send some agents to track down who was doing this. Where are they bringing the material?

Lurtor himself will sense for any neliff involvement or other possession. Next Lurtor was there to see what was producing the Hobtor ore wondering if it was Nightmare lord influenced.

Lurtor will also knock out the attackers using his demonic Razor magi cannons to try and keep as quiet as possible.

Lurtor:
Lurtor (VLAD Agent) LR:6 (7), HP:24, Init: 2D6+Agility

Stats (Str:6 (12), Agility:7, Will:8, Health:6, Int:5, Chr:3 (9), Emotional Control:4, Temper:2)

Attacks (Melee:4 (5), Ranged:4 (8), Thrown:2 (4), Leyas:1)

Special Abilities: (Regen:4 hps /rd, Melee Strike +3, Ranged Shot +3, Rapid Throw +1, Duelist, Gunslinger, Knife thrower, Quickdraw, Goo Warrior Special Training, Bladed Sun Devotion, Faith (Bladed Sun) 1, Path of the redeemer lvl 2, Shadow Assassin Devotion lvl 1, TimeShredded, Tough As Nails, Ignore Poison (4 Succ), Bird Sight (+2 Bonus to Range Combat w/Missle/Energy), Animal Sight (See in Dark), Animal Hearing/Smell (+2 to hearing and smell tests), Ignore Poison, Obscure 6 Succ (+12 to T# for Leyas sight), Immune to Poison and Chill; AR 25 vs Energy; AR 30 vs Laser and Light Leyas; +2 Bonus to Dodge,);

Skills (Artillery:2, Blunt Weapons:1, Edged Weapons:5, HtH:3, LCM:7(9), LCR:7(9), Pilot Airship:1, Pilot War Giant:3, Polearms:1, Springshots:5, Thrown Weapon:4, Fast Talk:2, Sylvan Tech:3, Computers:5, Tech Forger:4, Tech Repair:3, Performance:5, Religion:3, Torture:0(2), Acrobatics:1, Acting:1, Burglary:4, Climb:4, Diplomacy:2, Explosive Theory:4, Heraldry:2, Herbalism:4, Leyas Mapping:1(3), Leyas Recognition:2(4), Leyas Theory:3(5), Medicine/Healing:1, Monster Lore:1, NN Lord Lang:2, Profession(Spy):7, Prof (Spy Master)4, Set Traps:4, Sleight of Hand:3, Stealth:5, Survival:2, Swimming:3, History(Yyan):2, Prof (Interrogator):0(2), Intimidation:0(2))

Leyas (LR:6 (7), Air:3, Earth:5, Fire:5, Water:3, Light:3, Shadow:5, General:2, Healing:1, ShapeShifting:6, Summoning:1, Technomancy:6, Troubadour:4)

Relevent EQ
Magi Cannon - (10 Succ) Demonic Razor Skull Barrage 9d6 Pain Dmg - Hit up to 3 Targets - Pain Dmg no AR, +8 Dodge T#, Heal per pt Dmg, Hit up to 3 targets, Obscure (6 Succ)
Camo Cloak of Shadows - 6 Slots - 5 AR vs Melee, Missle, & Chill; AR 25 vs Energy; AR 30 vs Laser and Light Leyas; +2 Bonus to Dodge, Obscure, Shadow working (4 Succ), Shadow Shroud, Shadow Armor(6 Succ)

Lalder:
Mission part 1, Neliff and Phantoms:
After talking to Lurtor, the unique one, he had to get to work.

Neliffs:
Lalder would take the information from Lurtor about any Neliff infestations or influences. Any teams sent to deal with that will all be wearing the Earbuds and will use ranged attacks to deal with them. Lalder will artifice Troubadour attacks for the teams attack to help. Pain Wail of the banshi, Song of Spears, and Song of Swords.

During any council meetings, Elders will need to wear the earbuds while having someone without them to monitor what its like without ear buds. Any difference will put all on High alert.

Olgog Radar:
Using Earth 6 and healing, Lalder will see if he can create an Olgog radar that can detect Neliffs and or phantoms. Since his areas are underground and any time Lalder has been notifed of a Neliff Nest, it was underground, he hoped this would work.

Phantoms:
Light warded entrances and tunnels. Lalder will create some Light wards to block Light leyas at a few monitored spots and entrances to meeting rooms and council chambers, but not the chambers themselfs to see the phantoms.

If a Phantom is found, they will be asked to please follow our rules, and please let the leaders know who you are when you talk to them.

Share the information:
Per LUrtor’s post, Lalder and Lurtor will share what works and does not. If the other finds a solution, the other will adapt witht he learned information.

Mission Part 3, Mine:
If the mine is within Lalder’s protection area, he will send Tor’ab (Tor’og assassin) and his apprentices in to support the miners and kick out the robbers.

Lalder:
Lalder (Auf) LR:6, HP:18, Init: 2D6+Agility

Stats (Str:6 (7), Agility:4, Will:6, Health:6, Int:3, Chr:3 (7), Emotional Control:3, Temper:2)

Attacks (Melee:3, Ranged:1, Thrown:3, Leyas:1)

Special Abilities: (Regen:None, Melee Strike +2, Rapid Throw +2, Pass Trees at 3 Succ, Aufgog (Wood), Ignore Poison 6 Succ, LifeShield 6 Succ, +1 bonus to emotional control tests when dealing with Primal Descended);

Skills (, Blunt Weapons:5, Edged Weapons:2, Hand to Hand:5, LCM:5, LCR:5, Pilot Airship:1, Polearms:5, Thrown Weapon:5, Military Officer:3, History(Tribe)6, Performance:2, Sylvan Lore:1, Weapon Smith:3, Tracking/Hunting:3)

Leyas (LR:6, Air:3, Earth:6, Fire:3, Water:4, Light:4, Shadow:3, General:2, Healing:4, ShapeShifting:3, Summoning:3, Technomancy:0, Troubadour:4)

Daron wasn’t sure what to do about the neliffs, but he had seen them in action.

In his speach Daron says “Colonials, I have seen in battle the problem of the Neliffs. Manipulating and infesting into hosts is a crime against us. It is simple, I call on the EEF to deal with the Neliffs as quickly as possible. Get the information about them and how to protect against them to the public.

Prior, I hope the EEF had planned to deal with the Neliffs without causing a panic. So they kept the information quiet. But now with their existance out in the open, we need information to the public.

To the public I say in these tough times I will ask a huge challenge of you. While we learn and adapt, we cannot turn against each other. No taking justice into your own hands if you think Neliffs are involved.

Report it, help the EEF do their job. Part of the problem battling Neliffs is their ability to hide. We need your help for information any sightings of them.

As for Phantoms, I know not of them. I am astounded, but not surprise there are assassins in the world. But anyone whether flesh or otherwise, should follow the rules. If they are killing people, they should be brought to justice. Killing is Killing. And if these Phantoms are just Robots under someones control, then that person should answer for the murders or attempted murders they commit. And the security forces should be out on the look for them.

TO the Colonies, Remeber we are to to STAND together. ANd we need to STAND together during these tough times. And we will win this day because of that. Neliffs, Phantoms, or invaders will not defeat us as together we are stronger.

THank you, not its time to get back to work. Lets make tomorrow safer and a better day for our loved ones.